LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
THURSDAY'S Roll Call, Aug. 29

Howdee Do, friends. Beating August down now!
mykneesareback is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Thanx for the start, Doris.

I spent just about the whole day gardening and I am major exhausted. We are supposed to have some actual rain tomorrow, so I needed to get some weeding done and my lettuce starts in the ground and deadhead quite a few plants.

While we are still on the subject of hydrangeas and deadheading....here is something else I discovered about my new climate in the Pacific Northwest.

Back in Philadelphia, my hydrangeas would be completely finished by now, and I would have cut them back and pruned them. Here, I deadheaded last week, and lo and behold....lots of new flowers!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
Thanks for the start off again Doris. Yeah beating August down is something we are doing too. Too darned hot and humid.

Hi Babette, I sure do admire your gardening expertise. Nice that you are still able to do it.

BBTomorrow.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
Good morning, thanks Doris.

I am grieving leaving very low sale prices of "double" hibiscus in the store at Wallmart. I'll git over it but oh, I wanted them soooo bad.
Extremely gray day here so far and everything is soaking from earlier rains.
Will take a few days to get all my Rx's picked up for the next 90 days. Did have white cells in the urine so I am on antibiotics and the one time pill for the yeast I always get. And the beat goes on, and on, and on. I should start to feel better though. Before she spun the urine she argued that that kind of problem does not come and go- it progresses till you are very sick... I told her that with me it is not like that! I get better and then down again over and over. She was supprised with the white cells. I never had chills or fever. TMI sorry.
I had triscuits and thin cuke slices for supper last niht with just salt (Morton's Lite Salt) and black pepper that I buy in the Mexican section of the market- taste waay better and does not cost as much.
Hair wash day- then I'll see what mischief is around for me to get into after that.
Got Louise and Bob on my mind so often these days. Sending blessings and also to everyone here including ME.
bbl

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #5

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/143.6/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
Good Morning All,

Thank YOU Doris for our kick out the door today. How are you enjoying the shops and clinics being so much closer to you now? Do you miss the travelling chats with G.

Linda, Do you have this steamy overcast weather at the other side of the Lake? Yes, beating down the last few days of August.

Hope everyone has had their morning coffee by now. I have had several cups of tea. I will make a coffee soon to perk me up so to speak.
I need to do the Costco run today so will need some extra energy.
DS is way too busy on the pc and phone now he is back from travelling. But he did say to call him when I am ready and he will pick me up and help me load and unload so that's a great help. At least I can wander around at my own pace with my own thoughts and not too rushed.

A Big Thank YOU again to Babette for answering my gardening questions. Is there a trick to keeping the pink ones pink and the white ones white? I thought they needed acidic soil or is it alkaline? I wonder about the blue ones too. I am so excited now for next Spring.
Thank you Babette.

Louise, the first hurdle is over. I have a biopsy on Sept 9th.
Glad to hear that you had Fun at your hang out with your friend.

Lainey, Would the hibiscus survive your Winter? I see them for sale, up here but I think they only last for the summer, unless people bring them indoors. Hope You feel better soon and that you can get your Rx picked up.

Waving to All and hope to check back later...
Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Susan - you have asked a question dear to my heart about hydrangea coloration.

Yes - Acid makes them blue and Alkaline soil makes them pink and you can manipulate this easily with soil amendments.

I always thought that pure white and the newer red hydrangeas were a function of the type of plant more than the soil.

I have been experimenting in my own garden. I do have a Red (can't recall exact botanical name - something like City lights? - if you want it I can look it up), and nothing I do changes the color. I do not have any pure white varieties.

I did bring a cutting of my first ever hydrangea from PA when we moved here and it was a Nikko Blue macrophyllia.

I have managed to create a shrub that is quite large and has pink, blue and white flowers on the same plant!

First, it is planted in a bed that had a decorative cement block surround. Those stone or cement blocks are alkaline and leach that substance into the soil which would turn a normally blue hydrangea pinkish.

So in the fall and spring I add acid to the roots of the plant on one side away from the stone and when the plant blooms, the side closest to the cement stone is pink, the other side is blue, and the middle is white. The white, however, is NOT the bright white that plants bread to be white are.
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Good morning all...a bit of cleaning, put up the new TV and pay some bills day. It's gonna be hot, hot, hot today and tomorrow so not planning that much fer shure. We also have the chance of t'storms today as more monsoonal flow is a'coming.

Thanks for the memories, folks...hydrangeas, that is. When I was small we lived in Oklahoma, my mom used to get one for Easter every year, I guess she didn't care that much for the lilies which was the more traditional Easter flower. So every year it was a hydrangea which she would try to put into the ground afterwards...which wouldn't do that good in the Okie dry and cold...so every year it was a small plant.

When I was 13 we took a drive to Washington State which was quite an experience for me. One of my greatest surprises (and my mom's to say the least) was when we saw the hydrangeas in and around Seattle...they seemed to be as big as the houses and the colors were absolutely amazing. Mom had always put egg shells around hers to get them to turn, blue or pink...I forget which...and to see the vibrant colors was a blessing. I don't think she bought anymore for Easter after that until we moved to California and she was able to put one in her yard.

I don't see that many anymore; they must have gone out of popularity but they sure do bring back pleasants thoughts of Momma and her love for gardening. Thoughts of other plants from my youth pop in there too...I was thinking just the other day of snow balls. I don't know the plant name but they grew with large white flowers. Haven't seen them since I left Okie land. But I've added many new plants to my list of things I'd grow if I were young and knew what I know now....same old song, huh?

Have a great day day, folks, sending good vibes to all but especially Louise and Bob...hugs all.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ocali
My yard person just dropped off five little bushes to replace the ones I had him pull out plus eleven bags of mulch and some fertilizer for the bushes. He'll be back after lunch to finish up. I am afraid to know what this will cost me.
Susan, I think Ginny might be down by November. Last I heard, they were putting their house in Iowa on the market to be full time Florida residents.
ocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Begging pardon for my Chatty Cathiness this morn, but it was great walking down memory lane...

I'm truly excited this morning as when I weighed, I was down another two pounds...hooray! I'm not really working the plan and can't seem to get the gluteus maximi in gear but seem to be doing something right in spite of myself. That's okay...I know I didn't put it on overnight (although it does seem like it) and it won't come off overnight...just grateful it's coming off. Maybe I'll be more energetic in the fall.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Thank you Doris for our start out.

Good morning everybody. hydrangeas are one of the plants we don't have in our yard but I'd sure like one. Are they hard to care for? Here on the central coast should be a nice place to try one this year. Dh is out now mowing our backyard. It's not looking it's best with the water shortage we are having. I'd rather have more plants than grass. Our little lemon tree is really doing well. I'm so glad we got it.

Louise and Bob we're all waiting here with you. Glad you had fun at your outing with friends.

Susan it's time to steam more eggs today. So good. Love the taste. Making kale chips in a bit as well. Just have to have that little chip feel in my mouth.

Mary do you have your thunder shirt ready for your little one? Our rat terrier is scared of propellor planes going over our house now. We had a couple of months of C-130's flying our of our little airport and they flew right over our house. Every time Dh and I ran out to see. Well Tad took it as a warning and now when he hears the propeller sounds he runs back behind my chair. Poor little guy. The little propellor jobs go over all the time as we are in the flight line. He doesn't react to the jets.

Well time to start my day. Take care everyone.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon

Last edited by Shalbrihil; 08-29-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Shalbrihil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Woo Hoo!! That's great Mary!
Shalbrihil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
Not feeling to good today,guess weather is getting to me.Got to take something to get my head to shut-up.lol
BBL
birdlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Seem to be killing time today before I get started doing what I have to get done..but it will all come together or it won't...

Just had to check in on the steamed eggs...I love Alton Brown and really miss his shows (particularly his traveling ones...one across the country and the other up the Mississippi River...must get those on DVD) but, I'll stick to my old way of cooking eggs. I tried the steaming method and had both kinds today (still had one of my original ones.) Alton's was good but habits are funny so I'll stick with my old way. Put the cold ones (at least a week old which makes them easier to peel) from the fridge, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, turn down the heat and let 'em simmer for one minute, take off the heat. cover and let 'em sit for 12 minutes, then immerse into cold water....I use an ice bath. Like I say, habits are funny and I'd probably forget how to steam 'em.

What would we do without our hard cooked eggs, particularly those on the low carb lifestyle?...sorry, just had to add my two cents.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #14

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
Isn't it odd, Louise and Bob see their doctor on Sept. 9, and Susan has her biopsy on that day, also? My goodness!

Been too danged busy to steam eggs, but had my designated pot out and ready, dh turned on the German music on tv, and next thing you know, we are laughing and dancing for 2 1/2 hrs., it was so funny, but sort of sad, too, to hear that music, they had more modern stuff, and the old stuff that we are used to. Now, busy getting ready for dil and Silas to come, and I'm fixing meatloaf, and later son will arrive after 7:30pm to eat and than take Silas home. Will steam eggs tomorrow, see if we like them that way or not. The kale chips, lordy, I will be divorced if I make those again for dh, to each his own, as the cow said to the moose.

Lainey, are you feeling better now?
Gladys, how are you doing now, did the pill work? Hope so, I bought Alka Seltzer again, needed some a few days ago, in the middle of the night.

Hotter than H E L L here today, record heat.

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!
mykneesareback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Tried the Alton Bown method of steaming eggs. Worked perfectly. 12 minutes and I did a dozen medium size eggs. Shells came off much easier, none broke while steaming and the yokes were uniform pale yellow with no sulfer ring.
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
Hi everyone.

Thanks for asking Doris and everyone- do you know actually... I feel better after just 2 days of the antibiotic- last niht and today with the 3rd pill tonight. My own immune system fought like a tager but the the pills gave the last push on killing that infection. Course I'll take the entire course (about 14 pills) and I already took the yeast (one time) pill so that problem will be history in a short time.
Talk about "mischief" Mary Anne called and off we go to B.J.'s since we both got free passes for 60 whole days and we wanted to check it out. Couldn't find the one we thought closest to us so "Ollie's" got a visit and I got a perfec calunder 13.99 for 1.99- WOW and a book on nothin but tomatoes that I love for 5. something... a 25.00 book. THEN off to B.J.'s in Va. Beach and love that store way better than Sam's. Clean and bright and the food was just beautiful with a big deli and amazing prices. and THEN we went to a place called Up Town BUFFET (Chinese/American buffet) that was the best foods I have eaten out since leaving N.Y. and D.C. forwhere dining out can be the best in the world. I ate a lot of food but NOT into a stuper like the Golden Corral a few weeks ago. They had these fried shrimp that were breaded and fried with the schells still on them so when you peeled them you just got the most perfect shrimp I have ever had. There was bar after bar after bar of foods... the fruit one was like a tropical feast with all ripe to perfection. There was a coffee cake (NO not like a breakfast pastery) but a cake with coffee baked in it- not Tera Misu but almost as good and nothing is as good as tira misu.
There was more but I need to get ready for our walkies with "Missy"- after all we ate we need to jog to N.J. to work all that off.
bbl or t.
e.
Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey there again...getting some stuff done even tho' I started late and am moving slowly...trying to get some sorting done before N comes over Saturday for a final cleaning.

Yep, Sharon, got the shirt ready and we are surrounded by dark clouds and hear occasional thunder boomers. So far scaredy dog isn't reacting as she usually does; I did just rub her down with the dryer sheet so hope that'll help too. The thundershirt is supposed to be good for what you're experiencing, but it sounds more like you've trained her to react to the propellers...good luck with changing that behavior.

Well, back to the grind, got another idea about using the my old TV as a movie center for my DVD's....type ya later....well, now MeMe is trying to crawl into the lap, so she must be feeling the thunderstorm.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
We have a problem,a wild cat in the house.Guess I let the door open to long and it came in.Heard it last night and went looking outdoors twice,DH also,looked. This afternoon the sound was closer so we found it in the closet,tried to get it but no go.Hope it's hungry enough tomorrow to just run out.Hate to trap it as it will ruin my carpet.Live trap but the fear will make things fly.
Feeling a little better tonight.
I have an egg cooker for the microwave,works like a charm.
doris, I have pots that I have been using since '57,hammered aluminum,but the kids want us to use the stainless steel.
Puppy here is afraid of storms,but is fine with being indoors,train drives her nuts.
BBT