LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: weezie
Stats: 160/129/125 (5' 3")
WOE: mostly low carb
OT: Why Wally world????

Hi kids-

Just a question I have to ask...Why do y'all shop at Wally World?

Is it just the prices?

We have other "bargain" stores nearby that don't deal with so many goods imported from China.

I can hardly walk in there or the K - store due to the overwhelming (and allergy provoking) odors of synthetic fabrics, etc. Causes asthma attacks for me and claustrophobia due to the way the places are laid out. And, at least in our area, prices are not as good as you might think.

Any rationale? Just curious.

thanks,

-Louise
weezie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
We go there because they are decidedly cheaper, especially when we lived up in the boonies, it added up to a lot of dough, especially the food prices. Made a big difference to us, and I don't care about China or what ever, we can't make it here anymore, due to many reasons. The stores here are large, never noticed any odors or smells out of the ordinary. We just went to one that happens to be close to where we live now, this morning. It was great, fresh veggies and fruits, needed stuff for this house, saved over $75 bucks. So we will continue to go there...........just my opinion, of course.
Plus, making something in the USA doesn't mean it's any better made at all, have had items made here that fell apart, parts missing, etc. It ain't the way it used to be.......

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!

Last edited by mykneesareback; 07-24-2013 at 06:38 PM..
mykneesareback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
In our area we don't have too many choices.I buy what I need were ever I'm at.Lots of stuff at the dollar store as it't a couple of blocks away.At my age I'm about what is best/easy for me.I earned the right to be easy on self.
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Msevon2
I go to wally world because it is a great place to walk. You get there and park a quarter mile from the door and then walk around the perimeter and then shop and have 2 jobs done at one time. They have just about everything all in one place. And you can meet lots of people standing in line to get out. What more could you ask? I used to hate it but now it is a necessity. I live 14 miles from any town.
Msevon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
Price mostly. Plus I can get everything I need in one place. In one trip I might get groceries, cleaning products, socks for my son & motor oil. Target and Meijer are more expensive, and Kroger is primarily a grocery store with a very limited selection of other items.
Like Msevon2 said, it's a great place to get some exercise too. I watch a baby a couple of days a week, if the weather's not nice enough to go outside we stroll around Walmart. They give him a sugar cookie at the bakery which makes his whole day!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Verleen
Stats: 195/135/135
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 2004
Louise, I rarely (almost never) shop Walmart for some of the reasons you cited. When I do, its because I need something they they and can't quickly or easily get it somewhere else.

Every time I hear of another product from their store that killed a beloved pet or child or adult, I just cringe. Of course many other stores carry chinese made goods. When we heard that there were poisons in many brands of dog foods, including our brand, that were made in china, we stopped using it. Too late. Both our dogs died in a few months from kidney failure, one of the main symptoms of those poisons. It could be most products in most stores are made in the orient. We buy as much as we can from dollar stores. However, less and less. I am finding that I get sick when I eat generic products. My immune system is nonexistant.

Goals:
To live each day the best I can

195/135/135
Verleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/133.6/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
I don't go to there very often (less than five times a year). It's not very convenient for me, the prices aren't that much lower than the regular grocery store, and they don't have anything that I can't already get at the regular grocery store.
modon69478 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
I think it's all been said but I'll say it again...I started shopping when Sam Wall first opened the stores and they used to advertise everything in the store was made in the USA...so that's been a long, long time. Of course, they no longer do as it's almost impossible to find stuff made in here, but I still check the labels and don't buy anything from some places...

but in SoCal, at least, the prices are the best around and the grocery prices are near the price I pay at the commissary and since, WW is closer, I'll make a run there if I have just a couple of things to pick up...I particularly like the roto chickens there.

Because of the heat here in SoCal, it's a great place to do my walking. I'll do a couple of laps inside the store before I start shopping...and I hate to shop. At most stores, I know what I want and where it is, so it's run in pick it up and run back out....drives one of my friends crazy because her idea of a good day is strolling through the malls, looking at everything and usually not buying anything....that drives me crazy when I go out with her. Guess you know we don't do that frequently.

I have some friends from small towns all over the country who won't shop there or any of the discount stores because when WW moves in all the small businesses in the area are driven out of the market....they can't compete at the prices WW charge. I first saw that when I worked at Mattel and we used to get complaints from the smaller toy stores. They were paying higher prices from us than the larger stores were selling them.

I do love the occasional e-mails that come out showing the alien life forms shopping at WW and can't believe people dress like that...so even if you don't shop at WW, you can still get a laugh out of 'em. Thanks for raising the question, it's bee interesting.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #9

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
One thing about the "small businesses not liking Wal Mart", well, we lived where most of the "small businesses" were run by a bunch of lazy butts, who didn't open their "business" unless they felt like it, weren't open on weekend, evenings, etc. They hired "family", who stood around yapping on phones, didn't greet you when you walked in, and generally stank! For my part, the complaining "small businesses" know they would lose out and have to finally close, and then blame it on Wal Mart instead of themselves...........we had enough of the small town "good ole boys" running things like that, including the whole county, in fact. There were only less than 5 small businesses in our county that we patronized because of this reason, and Wal Mart did try to get into the county, and the "good ole boys" wouldn't let them in because of fear, their friends with businesses might have had to actually do some work, and stay open, hey, maybe even clean their places up for a change. And that's the truth, and it wasn't only in northern Calif. that it happens. A lousy business is a lousy business, period.
mykneesareback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Well said, Doris...been there, seen that.
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Msevon2
And at walmart, they do have a greeter, and then they ignore you. They dont have customer service at all. But it is good if you are an independent person.
Msevon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #12

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
oops hit post before I was ready.

Last edited by LoveMontana; 07-25-2013 at 06:27 PM..
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
Well said, Doris...been there, seen that.
Big Ditto to that. Well said Doris.

As for shopping at Wally world, it's close, has most of what we need, including ammo, prices are good, Roto chickens are great, deli meats are good , fresh produce is pretty good AND they are non union. This from a former Shop steward for PEF.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Verleen
Stats: 195/135/135
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 2004
Linda, I was sued twice by PEF. At the first meeting, I gave one statement and the PEF lawyers all left to regroup. I was a tough opponent.
I was always involved in fights with PEF stewards.

Rich recently filed a claim in small claims court and asked me to handle it. The car dealership had a lawyer. But we won the claim.
Verleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #15

Good for you, Verleen.

After being a Shop Steward for Public Employees Union for about 5 years, I grew up and left the union. Being one for about 5 years really opened my eyes.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I have more reasons why I don't shop there! I only go if my hubby is going for something (usually car stuff or something for work) but won't go out of my way to shop there since there is not one close by anyway.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
I will not set foot in a Wally unless there is no alternative for the reasons that Weezie, Verleen and Michelle already mentioned.

Editing to add that as individuals, we have very little power in this world. I, personally, use shopping and spending my money to support merchants and manufacturers who share my values and avoid those who do not.

I am sure it makes little difference, but it makes me feel better, so that is worth something.

Last edited by Begete; 07-26-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Begete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
I shop there two or three times a month. I do 90 percent of my grocery shopping at Sam's Club. I buy my produce at Sprouts, I go to Kroger for several house brand items I can't get anywhere else (like CarbMaster Yogurt). Same with Walmart. There are some house brand items I really like...their alfredo sauce, they have the best price on Hershey's sugar free chocolate chips, etc. I have a Walmart, Safeway, Kroger (Frys), Sprouts, Sams club and Costco all within a mile or so of my house. With gas prices as high as they are, I try to keep the shopping trips to a minimum. I buy my Earth Spirit sandals at WalMart...they are the only place that carries them and they fit my very wide feet.

Sharon in AZ
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
Ugh. This is kind of a sensitive question in my politically correct city.

But I shop there because I have a family to support on a tight budget. I shop there because it is close to me. I shop there because they employed a family member, and I have friends that work there. I can walk there if I want to. The prices are decent.

There are things made in China in nearly every large box (Target, K-mart) store around. I like Target, too, but their prices are inflated, and they are farther away.

I respect the decision of people who don't shop at Walmart, but I also think the -for some- it is a knee-jerk reaction.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #20
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykneesareback View Post
One thing about the "small businesses not liking Wal Mart", well, we lived where most of the "small businesses" were run by a bunch of lazy butts, who didn't open their "business" unless they felt like it, weren't open on weekend, evenings, etc. They hired "family", who stood around yapping on phones, didn't greet you when you walked in, and generally stank! For my part, the complaining "small businesses" know they would lose out and have to finally close, and then blame it on Wal Mart instead of themselves...........we had enough of the small town "good ole boys" running things like that, including the whole county, in fact. There were only less than 5 small businesses in our county that we patronized because of this reason, and Wal Mart did try to get into the county, and the "good ole boys" wouldn't let them in because of fear, their friends with businesses might have had to actually do some work, and stay open, hey, maybe even clean their places up for a change. And that's the truth, and it wasn't only in northern Calif. that it happens. A lousy business is a lousy business, period.
This.

Why does a small business owner deserve my money more than I do just because their business is small?

I shop at plenty of small businesses if they offer something I want or need. We go to a tiny little appliance store because you can walk in and say "My washing machine is going 'wah, wah, wah' during the spin cycle and they can tell you what you need to fix it and they get it for you.

I know an entire family that has happily worked for Walmart for years. The mother was an immigrant that had never worked outside the home. When her kids were teens she started as a cashier and worked her way up to training new staff wherever they opened a new store. She has traveled all over the world- last I heard she was in China. Three of her kids worked their way through college at Walmart. Two are teachers now and the third stayed with Walmart and is now managing a store.

I worked at a small, family owned business in college- the model of what people are trying to "protect" by keeping Walmarts out of town. I had zero opportunity to move up- there were four of us in the store: the owner, his wife and his daughter. No benefits, no paid time off and made minimum wage for the two years I worked there.

My county has managed to keep Walmart and other big discount grocery stores out. The poor are the ones who suffer. They pile the family in and drive 30 miles into the next county where they can go to Walmart or a discount grocery store because it still saves them money over the more expensive stores the county has allowed (that are still chains, but more PC chains than Walmart apparently). So what have we accomplished? Families on the road, at higher risk of accidents & breakdowns, burning fossil fuels and creating pollution.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K, 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote