Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Saturday, July 6

Hi everyone,

Didn't get around to picking garlic today. Got our weekly grocery shopping done and some watering, so won't try garlic until Monday.

Susan, to preserve garlic, you must let it cure out of the sun for 3 or 4 weeks. We stick it up in the rafters of our garden shed. It has to be dry when you store it or it will rot.

Then, you cut off the shoots and roots and clean it up and put it in a cool dark place and it can last about 8 month. I just finished the last of last years's garlic, but had to toss about a dozen heads that didn't survive a whole year.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Hi Begete thank you for this nice start. Wondering if you plant elephant garlic. I like it's mildness. I didn't get any planted this season so you can bet I'll be planting again when the weather cools.

It was so nice to see Doris' post. Looks like there trip is going right along. Soon time to start the unpacking. Excited for you Doris and hubby.

Time to settle in for the night. Our fur kid took most of the day to get back to normal. That anxiety pill I gave him must have been a walla paloosa dose. He acted like he'd had one too many martinis. I felt so bad. I'll need to divide up the pill if needed next time.

See you all tomorrow. Night.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Not a big fan of elephant garlic. Too mild.

I grow about 7 different varieties. It's amazing how they all have distinctive flavors. Never knew garlic was anything more than garlic until the first year we were here, went to a garlic tasting.
So I started growing my own, based on those we liked best.

My favorite way to prepare many veggies is to roast them with olive oil, onion and garlic.
Even DH, never much of a veggie eater likes them that way.

A favorite is green beans roasted with onion and garlic with olive oil.
Begete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/133.2/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Good Morning All,

Neighborhood fireworks were much quieter last night (thank goodness!), but the pup was still able to pick up that there were some somewhere in the area. He was up super early today wanting to go out - a pup can only wait so long, you know

Todays plans include laundry, a trip to the vet for his annual checkup, the dry cleaners, the gym, and a little time at the pool - probably only an hour or two. Will try the Netflix streaming again tonight - forgot last night.

Susan, Are you anywhere near that big fire? I sure hope not -

Take care of yourselves - enjoy your day - stay cool!

Michele
modon69478 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
Good morning everyone and thank you, Babette for starting this thread off.

Still hazy, hot and really humid around here. It's just awful.

I used to grow garlic every year, but since we moved here, it is just not thought of.

Hi to Sharon and Michelle and all who follow.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
My favorite way to prepare many veggies is to roast them with olive oil, onion and garlic.
Even DH, never much of a veggie eater likes them that way.
DH brought in our first pick of green beans last night. I steamed them and they were so good! I'll trying your method when we have enough.

Cooler today Hooray! Woke up to morning fog. I'm liking this.
Time to see what's for breakfast. Cya later.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Hey y'all...enjoying our cooler weather while it lasts, it'll go back up next week as that high pressure area retrogrades and comes back our way...summer is here for sure.

I added the weather channel app to the laptop some time ago and have been fascinated by the sunrise and sunset times. I always thought they changed equally but tain't so. Since the summer solstice, sunrise time has changed four minutes as of yesterday morn but no change in sunset time...until today, it will set one minute earlier...and sunrise is five minutes later...wonder if it continues that way?

Funny what things catch our attention, isn't it? I remember one night, long, long ago, when I had just finished reading a novel about Elizabeth I and I got to wondering about the the reign of England, so spent the rest of the night charting the kings and queens of British realm...long before the internet, so had to use dt books...fortunately I had a fairly good encyclopedia.

I'll be taking N to the marketo for her monthly shopping.and picking up just a few things for me...one thing is egg roll wraps. Saw on the Chew they used them as coating for mozzerella sticks...sounds so good I want to try them for some other things as well.

Hope y'all have a good day, and good things come your way...Doris in Amarillo tonight, hopefully and then only three days drive to their new home (joke as Texas is so big).

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
Good mornin and thanks Begete.

A stinker of a hot, hot day. My bumper guy showed up- YAAA and is picking up the "used" bumper around 1: pm. His kid was helping me with heavy yard work and he chain sawed (little chain saw) the branches out of the over head wires- glad that is done but I have to watch him too much and he just begged to leave due to the heat and wanted his money check... no way till job is ALL done. He left my tools here there and every where. Will not use him again. What good is a helper leaving me with more work and a bigger mess than when he got here. Course at 13 he needs training but I told him up front that he had to agree to do it all MY WAY and he agreed. He was fliting from project to project and I said NO! finish and clean up one before you start another. Next I will instruct him that every thing used must go exactly back where he found it and rinsed off and DRIED. He wanted me to leave the elect. cord out for him in the morning- NOTHING gets left out overnight no matter what- Back where it lives is a MUST! Now I have to find everything and put it away. Very annoying and I am paying him well.
Sorry for rant. Libra's are a pain in the Butt but I also told him that up front as well. He was supposed to mow my strip with his mower and that did not get done either AAACK!
Gosh, this heat is murder and as soon as I put everything away I will call it a day as well or at least until 6: or 7: pm.
Think I need to eat more than the 3 giant figs I ate this morning. I bought Feta as I like that with a little olive oil drizzle on top but I needed the sugar so just gobbled them down.
Mary, sure wish I could jump into that pool with ya!
bbl Oh, I grew shallots for years but finally let them go. Always wante to try black garlic in something but have not seen it any where around here. Sure miss N.Y. for anything fancy which is never heard of around here. Va. Beach maybe but that is too far to go to shop. hmmm on line might work.
bbl

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
Hi,
My big putter went out and I hate to type on IPad.DD will come by and look at the mess.lol
Nothing but hot going on but I stay in.
Lainey,I'm a lucky Libra cause I don't worry about much.lol
Glad to see you check in Doris.
I never grew garlic cause use very little of the stuff,makes DH stink,comes out of all his pores.yuk lol
BBL
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

LOL Gladys, you have to defend yourself by eating it yourself! Other wise UCK is right.
I feel sicky from the heat. Never ever been this hot this long that it did not rain really heavy. Oh how I am wishing for a cooling rain.
bbl toniht I will have such a drinky poo- well earned!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Doug_H
Stats: 265/203/ Under 200
WOE: Low Carb/Keepin' it simple
Start Date: Oct 99
Lainey, I am with you. Your tools were your livelihood. If you treated your tools as you would a newborn baby they would last you forever. Now I watch people just throw them on the ground, walk all over them, leave them out in the rain, etc... and wonder why they don't last or work right.

It's a throw away society today.

Got my chores done early today, been hot.
Getting the Travel Trailer ready for traveling, As soon as Jo gets the OK from her knee doctor next week we plan on hitting the road. Going to hit the Oregon coast for some long overdue real seafood.

Doug
Doug_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Doug...you coming here?
Begete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Doug, I have always been that way about my gardening

and kitchen tools as well. There are just some jobs I cannot or won't take a chance to do now. Ladders are out (broken anything and I am too much alone to manage) . I can do amazing heavy stuff and my endurance is excellent. I mainly wanted him to do time consuming things so I could consentrate on plantings and careing for what I already have and start some painting projects I am itching to do. I am telling you true I will not spend this or any other winter reading novel after novel and panting after Downton Abby and some other shows I like plus movie watching the afternoon and evening movies could be a lot more selective.
Watching a Block Buster Movie that has been here for several days- I need a commedity riht about now.
I did not pay him the full amount we had agreed on as several of his jobs were not done and I listed them for him plus I pointed out the giant messes he had left for me- he will not be used again. Live and learn- I actually suspected he was a budding promise the moon and stars and then trying to charm himself out of most of the jobs. NOT! My little Guatamalan boys were better than him but he did use his little chain saw for about 1/2 of the projects he promised. He did come back and mow the strip because that had really got me angry and he could see I was mad. I actually like doin all the garden even the time consuming parts but I am so slow but that is by nature. I really have not been in a hurry for much of anything my whole life but don't take advantage please.
I am hungry but too tired to fix much so I had my blackberries and fro yo and will leave it at that.
Gosh, sure hope Dois and G. are in that marvy house by now!
bbt
Old 07-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Doug_H
Stats: 265/203/ Under 200
WOE: Low Carb/Keepin' it simple
Start Date: Oct 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begete View Post
Doug...you coming here?
We may take a day trip to Long beach to visit my daughter but that will be it as far as making it to Washington this year.

Doug
Doug_H is offline   Reply With Quote