Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Golden Years (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/)
-   -   Dh just retired..:) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/805851-dh-just-retired.html)

CarolynF 06-10-2013 01:44 PM

Dh just retired..:)

Akk...How does anyone figure out Medicare without a PhD? So, we are sticking with BC/BS supplement and Part D for the time being..Anyone have any experience with that? Plan F covers everything, but do we need it?

Plus, I won't qualify for 18 months, so I have to get individual policy..We are waiting for a quote from BC/BS..

Akkk..

Any advice is deeply appreciated..We live in KS..

Oh..just a side note to those who remember Carol. Her two sons got married recently..Yipee..

Loretta V 06-10-2013 03:04 PM

Hey Carolyn Good to hear from you. Thanks for the news on Carol's sons.

Can't really offer any advice.

Doug_H 06-10-2013 05:39 PM

Carolyn, we have the plan F supplement. It covers the 20% that Medicare doesn't. Also the supplemental plans offered by providers are identical by law so all you need to do is pick a provider of your choice.

Hadn't thought about Carol in years.:up:

HTH

Doug

Shalbrihil 06-10-2013 05:52 PM

Oh my goodness is Carol Woowoo? Or something like that? She was here when I first started posting. :)

Doug_H 06-10-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shalbrihil (Post 16464696)
Oh my goodness is Carol Woowoo? Or something like that? She was here when I first started posting. :)

YEP

CarolynF 06-10-2013 08:42 PM

Thanks, Doug..

Yes, Carol is doing fine..Last we chatted, her dh was working not too far from home in Florida and her 3 boys are down there, too. Two got married..and her daughter is still
in CA working as a nurse.

She is busy making darling doll dresses..

Begete 06-10-2013 09:30 PM

Carolyn, please accept my deepest sympathy on your husband's retirement :)

Seriously, when DH retired, that's when I regained most of the weight I lost the first time on Atkins.

As for insurance, as you know, I was a corporate lawyer and DH was a senior level gov't employee and neither of us could figure it out. We kept the same plan we had when he was employed, and rejected Medicare. In comparing expense with neighbors who took part B and bought supplements, we think we are paying about the same. They may have slightly lower co pays on some things, but we just were so stressed out trying to make a decision, we finally just bought the status quo.
Just know that once you reject Part B, if you change your mind, you will have to pay some pretty steep penalties.

CarolynF 06-11-2013 06:38 AM

Thanks, Begete..LOL..I can see where the weight might come back, but I am fighting it as he needs to lose some, too, I am on a mission..

Our Cobra is very high, which I have this month until I switch over..We are sticking with BC/BS until we have time to figure it all out..He has signed up for A and B so far and working on the Part D and the supplement..

LindaD 06-11-2013 06:46 AM

Hi Carolyn,

Retirement is one of those things you think is way down the road...and then suddenly it is there.
DH retired at 62 with his pension, and took his social security then, and had private insurance. When he turned 65, we opted (he actually did nothing...lol) for Medicare, a supplement, and part D. I was at the point where...I hope I made the right decisions, but once done, you just have to go with it.
I am 62, and have a private ins. policy for me. We are insurance poor...and mine keeps going up. (that is the major reason I am still working)
Hope your DH's retirement goes well.
And thanks for the news on Carol ( I have been here forever, but lurk. LOL)

Msevon2 06-11-2013 07:08 AM

My first encounter with medicare was when my husband was diagnosed with copd. But I was working, so it did not really affect anything for a while. One day a lady came out and told us about humana medicare supplement. It was great at first, but soon the changes started coming and we paid more and more. Then I lost my job, so I decided to be an insurance agent. Got my life and health license and then got a job with the folks who do the medicare supplement. So had to take the course in medicare. When I finished that, I got a new job in a new field and still there. Medicare supplement is so specialized you have to get certified in it every year. If your state has a shipp program, best to call them and let them give you the best options. They have to have the lastest info.

CarolynF 06-11-2013 12:02 PM

Thanks for the information..It is overwhelming and retirement does happen suddenly..Dh has worked forever and loved work, so he is trying to find things to do, which is good..
Of course, I've been home, so I have my "things" that I will continue to do..

mykneesareback 06-11-2013 04:26 PM

Hi Carolyn! When dh retired, we kept his insurance from work, and joined Medicare, and that is what we still are doing, in the long run, it was the best thing. If we quit private insurance, we would be screwed, with his liver transplant and all of that. Keep up with what you have already, and don't be talked into something new that you don't trust.

I gained weight when dh retired, but it wasn't because he was home, can't use that as an excuse. I just eat more because I enjoy it, and that is the real truth.

Glad to hear your sons got married!! I remember when you carried that old scale with you on a trip to Chicago, lordy lordy!!

birdlady 06-11-2013 04:39 PM

Retirement was/is great for us.Like you said we each have our things,I have my animals and he has his farms.
We kept my letter carriers ins,medicare part a/b,when DH had a horrible surgery with lots of test we paid $8,for months of care.We never paid copay even.Good for us,every one is diff.
Saw on Facebook that Carol had a wedding,don't even remember how I got to her page.She still looks great.
Come back again.