Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Golden Years (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/)
-   -   MONDAY'S Roll Call, April 15 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/802153-mondays-roll-call-april-15-a.html)

mykneesareback 04-14-2013 10:03 PM

MONDAY'S Roll Call, April 15

1 Attachment(s)
Here's hoping this is an excellent week for us, sick friends are feeling better, healing hands are reaching out to everyone in need, I'm not mentioning names because some we don't know about.............:console:

Norfolk Mermaid 04-15-2013 06:42 AM

Here we go- a brand new week. Good Morning!

Weed whackin went well till I ran out of string or thread or whatever you call that stuff. I sure always thought my Moms and Dad's house was tiny with tiny yards but havin to keep them up by myself sure makes them loom large. Perpesctive isn't everything in life but it sure proves itself hih on that list. I forgot how to re-thread that thing so I'll carry it of to the dealer and let him refresh me- wait I may remember after all... will try the way I think I remember. I wish very, very bad things for manuels writers the world over.
Coffee is delish this morning and I am thinking I will et out early and hit Burger King for a big breakFAST- theirs is so yummy. Still have not been to our new Denny's yet.
Rain maybe today- so plantings shopping today and diggin holes tomorrow then rain forcast again for Wed.
I'll leave you with my favorite "Charlie Chan" quote "Man who try constantly is bound to hit the gong sometime!"
Be back after this busy day- final eye Dr. follow up from surg- resch. due to flu, then P.T. then the weed whacker to dealer (if I cannot figure it out) and maybe some plant shopping. Oh, Burer King first,
Do this here fresh Monday proud everyone,.
bbl

Genie80 04-15-2013 06:51 AM

Happy Monday to you all!
Sunny and actually quite warm in Manchester, UK which makes a change :)

Here's hoping everyone has a successful week!

G xx

birdlady 04-15-2013 08:10 AM

Welcome Genie.
Good Morning gang,
Had so much fun at the craw fish boil,the Zydeco music was nice but oh so loud for indoors or is it for this old lady.
No plans as usual for the day or week,but something always shows up.lol DH is still getting his mom's house ready for selling but working with people that do small jobs is a mess.
BBL

LoveMontana 04-15-2013 08:14 AM

Thanks for the start off, Doris.
Hopefully you will get some good news on the house buying today.

Hi Lainey, So Burger King's breakfast is a good one? Never have tried that one.

Welcome to our little group Genie. Please feel free to post on our daily menu and exercise threads also.

Hi ya Gladys, happy to hear you enjoyed the crab boil even though the music was too loud.

Was going to head in to visit mom today, but she is feeling under the weather with stomach cramps. Poor thing.

tatehouse 04-15-2013 08:15 AM

Well, I posted a long entry but it never got posted.

I can't remember what I said but I know that I did tell ya'll that Maggie had her hair cut. It was beautiful hanging down her back but so much trouble and so thick it was very heavy. I was ready for it to be cut but when DD sent me a picture of her in the stylists chair I did cry. She likes it and I'm sure it is much lighter on her head. I will try to post a picture. Low tech Annie might just have to change her avi!!

I finished Downton Abbey last night. I loved every minute of it. I am with ya'll in the waiting for January and the new season. I will be with ya'll every minute for season 4.

I'm sore today from all the work I did on Saturday but it was sure nice to have it all done.

Have a good week all,
Anne

mykneesareback 04-15-2013 08:17 AM

Welcome, young looking Genie, how is your weather over there today? We have been watching soccer all weekend, and they had awful rain and downpours just drenching everyone.

Morning to you, Gladys and Lainey.

Off to place butt cheeks on the good old bike, that is one thing we will definately take to Texas.

Later, waving at everyone! And I don't like the new thyroid med yet, yucky taste.

Hi Anne, you sneaked in.

Begete 04-15-2013 09:53 AM

Good morning..

Awaiting arrival of a guy who helps us with the heavier garden work. If the rain hold off maybe I can finish my fall cleanup today!

Discouraged. Never cheated but back up over a pound this morning!

Mssarge 04-15-2013 10:26 AM

Good morning all...gray day today and showers in Orange County moving this way. We get only wind and a spits of rain this late in the season, but know that the fronts build up steam moving across the country...hope this one doesn't bring anything too bad. I know you easterners are looking for spring and don't need anymore snow.

Babette, it's only water so don't sweat it..there's a saying over on the JUDDD board, "the scale she bounces." I know how depressing it is to see the scale bounce up, but stick to it...the weight will come off.

Welcome to our newbies, hope you stick around and become our buddds.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to the docs I go....orthopedics today. The knees are barking when I put less than a half mile on 'em, so I know it's time for the rooster combs again. I understand it's supposed to last three to four months and it's been nine, so I'm getting the worth of it, I guess. The big decision will be the therapy...do I start it now, or wait until later in the year when I may need it more? Medicare authorizes only so much per year. I do miss it and enjoyed the workout last year...decisions, decisions.

Hope you all have a great day and good things come your way.

mykneesareback 04-15-2013 10:42 AM

Begete, you guys are lucky to have someone come in to help with all that work, good for you, wish my dh would get someone, but he refuses.
Don't worry about a pound, remember, this happens to you every time you do this, just KEEP on doing it, don't stop!!! Don't weigh every day if it messes you up so much............:console:

Mary, hope the doctor gives you that shot or whatever it is, don't wait and be miserable for months on end, get it fixed so you can enjoy summer :)

It's getting grey and looks like February, feels like February, lol.

Laundry time, chasing up Mt. Washmore this morning.

Shalbrihil 04-15-2013 10:59 AM

Good morning and welcome Genie.

Dh took of early to help out son remove a stubborn oil filter in his jeep. So I have a little quiet time just for me. Nice!

Mary I know we're expecting a few spits here too. The weather has been just beautiful but our garden will welcome a little wet. What do you mean by rooster combs?

Begete My body reacts the same way. I use to be able to see a loss daily but now it's just not happening. I think my age as a lot to do with it. Right now I'm really watching portions and listening to the "I'm full" signs.

Doris I didn't realize you were on thyroid meds. Where have I been? :D Right on about not forgetting the bike. It's going to see a lot of miles more.

Anne Take care of yourself good rest is doctor's orders. I just loved the sun catchers craft you posted on FB. I have to check out Michael's now for some plastic beads.

Linda Sorry to hear your mom's feeling poorly. Glad to see you got a handle on your bronchitis.

Gladys crawfish boil sounded like a fun time. Live music can be a bit testy to the ears.

Lainey Burger King breakfast does sound tasty. We have a Burger King walking distance from were I live. I better put that one on hold for a while. :)
Were you able to feed your weed whacker?

Check back in later. :)

weezie 04-15-2013 12:45 PM

Hi all-

Had my chemo port installed this morning and feel as if someone hit my left chest with a baseball bat. Bob assures me it will calm down in a few days (he has one also).

Had to take Bob to the ER last night. He got stupid (as he put it) about his diet and diabetes meds, which are not strong enough anyway, and his glucose spiked to 800. As of today, it is down to 319. They should release him from the hospital tomorrow. I imagine he'll need to go back on insulin for awhile and we need to be strict with low carb/carb counting. That's the only thing that works for him, no matter what medication he is given. His endocrinologist described him as a type 1 1/2 - with a strict diet he can stay off meds, but it fluctuates.

More excitement than I need, thank you very much.

It is a beautiful day here and I'm hoping it holds for a bit. A friend gave me a gift card for my birthday and we put it toward a new charcoal grill which can double as a smoker. I'm really looking forward to using it. There is a PBS show called "BBQ U" which had a segment on smoked brisket that looks heavenly. And it's definitely low carb!

Walking the dogs the last couple of days has been interesting. I still have twinges from my hysterectomy (4 1/2 weeks post op) and now can't use my left arm much until the chemo port incision heals. I did it, but it was a challenge, so to speak.

Enough already! Have a lovely day and all the best,

-Louise

modon69478 04-15-2013 01:02 PM

You are awesome, Louise. I love reading your posts!

Michele

Norfolk Mermaid 04-15-2013 01:44 PM

Louise & Bob ditto what Michele said.

Those numbers for Bob are just astondin. A long time ao my whacky, drug addict, obese, Gay Dr.GP (Mickey) saw me go to 290 as a topper and wanted me to come in for Insulin.... I was so leary of that that I ot the wonderful Dr. that took care of my parents and she ot it down on the 3rd medication try! It stays in the 6 range A1C. They are about the same age but she is an internest and still has her liscense. Janumet for the diabetes and Armour Thyroid for the thyroid disease.
I Got real lucky at Good Will with buying 5 or 6 pairs of thin knity type shorts with elastic & ties which are the very best for gardening.
ot pulled over by a really nice cop! I was at a red turn light with NO traffic coming in the oppisite direction so like all New Yorkers I WENT. Those blue lights are scarey close up. He pulled beside me and rolled down his window and said that was not permitted here and please don't do it any more. He was laughing and sooo nice. Whew, doded that bullit.
Enouh Prattling for now.
What was it that Linda ask me???? OK, Sharon and Linda- BK's Ultimate Breakfast is really two meals.. I have the pancakes and egs but keep the sausae/the biscuit ( is yummy as a sandwich) and the tater tots- perfect for lunch. Having my own coffee or ice water keeps it all under 5.00
Before PT I get a McDonalds large (they are hue here) low ice and 1/2 sweet and 1/2 unsweet for 1.07 I only do stuff like this once in a great while.
I'll keep you posted on feeding the whacker- I call him Guido.

ocali 04-15-2013 01:51 PM

Louise, you take my breath away. I am so impressed with both you and your DH's attitude. My good wishes to both of you!!
Well, I brought lunch home from Burger King. Yummy! And bought a cute pair of sandals at Payless Shoes. Most of mine are pretty well worn now. I usually have good luck at Payless and their prices are reasonable.
Lainey, are the weeds that you're whacking left over from last year or new growth? My lawn is overgrown with dollar weeds. I'm hoping that the 'feed and weed' fertilizer will get rid of them.
Hi Genie!
Linda, what kind of car did you buy?
Anne, Maggie now has a big girl's haircut.
Am I the only one watching Call the Midwife this season? I love it. Tonight is DWTS.
BBL

modon69478 04-15-2013 02:19 PM

Julie, I'm watching the Midwife show and am enjoying it, too. I don't know if I like the department store show that follows it. I watch it, but wouldn't mind if it went away. Do you watch that one?

Michele

ocali 04-15-2013 02:37 PM

Michele, I watched it last night but am not excited about it.

Norfolk Mermaid 04-15-2013 06:06 PM

These seem to be fresh rown this year but excep for the Dandilions are new lookin as some I do not think I have even seen them anywhere before. I am ettin the boogers with whackin and stron weed killer right in the middle/center of each and every one. By "dollar" weeds do you mean those silver dollars that I just bought seeds for them- they are annuals and I love them as they make a lastin floral arranement. I been thinkin about cooking some of the dandis leaves but my colon wouldn't like that. Mom used to make them for Dad.
Horrible Boston bombins. Livin in South Norfolk causes some worry about terrorist but security is tight and they might think twice about messin with the military. Although look at Pearl Harbor!
Had a nap this afternoon so still have not fiddled with that weed whacker... I have to return a dented steamer pot that is so tiny I love it jst for me. They had lots so I will check until I find a perfect one tomorrow mornin and THEN me and that Whacker are going to do THE dance.
bbl

LoveMontana 04-15-2013 06:14 PM

Julie, the new car is a 2013 Toyota Corollas S model with standard transmission. They are really difficult to find and I do NOT drive an automatic.:laugh:

Thank you Lainey, it was me asking about the breakfast. Unfortunately it's too carbohydrate filled for me unless I toss that stuff and only eat the egg and sausage.:D Might try it though.

My goodness Louise, Bob's Blood Sugar levels are off the chart. Good that you will both be doing low carb.
Did you ever read the articles about Sugar ( aka glucose) feeding cancer?
Excellent read, if I can find it, I'll post it.

Sharon, I hope you really enjoyed your quiet time. Those moments are priceless.

Babette, listen to Michelle and Doris. It's probably water weight. Don't stress.

Wish Verleen would check in. I miss her and want to hear all about her new house.

Hi to everyone.

Mom is feeling better so we will plan a lunch sometime this week.

Norfolk Mermaid 04-15-2013 06:25 PM

Sometimes I just get the sausage and pancakes but like I said- never more than once per month. I am wanting to get back on JUDD which I love but usin only healthy foods. LINDA, please do print that article- I read it long time ao and have called sugar "Tumor Food". Is it the one where they gave two groups of rats with the same cancer tumors half of the sugar and none for the other half and the sugar rats tumors grew way, way faster the the none sugar group. Also there is a article where Dr.s checked the eye grounds of teens that had eaten a cheeseburger and frys and they found colesterol in their eyes. This country does not need to worry about war- we are killin ourselves and our kids.
bbt

Mssarge 04-15-2013 07:03 PM

finally back after what turned into a busy day...doc explained Medicare has changed policy and he can't do both knees at the same time, so it's back twice a week for three weeks to get the shots.

Rooster combs...last year I talked about the joy of not having any cartilage in the knees and they started shooting artificial junk into them a couple of years ago. I don't remember the name they're using, I guess there are several brands on the market, but it all boils down to rooster combs. I've heard of some people who have had them shot up several times a year...I feel good getting nine months or more out of the treatment. I wait until it's almost too late and need the cane to get around, so I know when it's time. And I think I'll go ahead with the physical therapy...at least I got the script for it...will wait til May as my schedule's full with ortho for now.

Louise, you're my hero...hope the shoulder is feeling better by now...it takes a while for the pain from implanting eases up....

Gotta water the yard and the patio plants before it gets too dark...Hope you all had a great day...and prayers going out for the folks in Boston.

LoveMontana 04-15-2013 07:24 PM

Here are some articles: Can't find the one I wanted though.:dunno:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...enic-diet.aspx

Does Sugar Feed Cancer?

WARNING: Fructose Feeds Cancer Cells

Cancer Cells Feed on Sugar-Free Diet - 01/10/2012

SuSUN 04-15-2013 08:10 PM

Wow you have been a busy bunch today.:eek:

Glad to see your post Louise Sounds like you are recovering steadily, can't rush it. TLC is in order and lots of pampering.:hugs::hugs:

Lainey, Yum on that breakie out. Did you manage to feed the weed whacker? I know they are fiddly to thread. WTGG making a head start at least.:clap: I did pick up a few stray papers from the front lawn today but that was it.:dunno:

Thanks again Doris for our start and lovely pic I can smell the malted drinks already. :yummy:

Thanks Linda, for the articles I need motivation. How are you feeling? Hope the bruising has toned down lots by now. Whew! :hugs::hugs:

Waving at the rest of our gang :hiya: and our newbies :newbie:

Hope to bbt...:heart: