LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Saturday, April 13, 2013

Thought I would start us off tonight because if the new kitties keep getting us up around 6:30, I may as well hit the gym.

Some of you asked about last night's dinner. We went to a Mediterranean restaurant, and skipped the pita. I had a filet of sole wrapped around crabmeat and shrimp, and DH had a mixed grill. Asked them to hold the rice, and since the vegetable was string beans and carrots, I also asked them to hold the carrots.

Drank water, not wine though I had a small glass of wine at the benefit.

Have a great day everyone.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
So the kitties are doing "their thing", Begete, settling in.
Your meal sounds good, my dh would love the shellfish especially. Why wouldn't you eat the carrots, they are a good veggie.

We had to hurry back into town yet again today, to get yet another form faxed to Texas, this drives my dh up the wall, lol. He can't understand why the paperwork is not just done all at once, but we haven't dealt with realtor's in over 30 yrs.

See yah tomorrow, friends.
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
before bed. Can hardly wait for sleep to come.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Doris, I am in week 3 of Atkins. No carrots yet.
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
How's it going, Babette, after three weeks? By now you should be getting the energy boost induction brings.

Doris, yep! Lots of leavings of the family in Georgia...the Eiselle's of Germany migrated to Pennsylvania, made the route south to Georgia and then my bunch migrated into Missouri as Isley's...maternal family. That's one of the other reasons I'd like to travel; love to do research in the genealogy. Hope the realtors don't get'cha down...the paperwork's a b@@@@.

See y'all manana...don't know if I'll be logging in before or after the tea, so will wish you all a good day now...have a great one.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/133.6/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Good Morning Everyone,

Lots to do today and am getting an early start - Gym, Vet, Bank, AT&T store, and Grocery store. Also hope to get a little sun at the park late in the afternoon. Then make a crustless quiche for dinner.

Will check back later - hope you all enjoy your day,
Michele
modon69478 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
Footsie in the door here.
Queen of the Weed Whackers day- now where is my teaira? Mixing in some housework... now where are my pink- with pink maribu feathers trim rubber gloves?? Going to place an order with "Nuts Are Us" today- top of the list will be Brazil Nuts- letting go of all grains, sugars, meats (keeping wild caught fish) and no dairy but yogert or Kefer.
Prayers continuing for Maya, Bob and Louise and or new Lady's DH (Tammy) and all else.
Gladys, I love that I have a lady friend that lets her DH borrow her John Deere! LOL
Beete, Kiss those boys on their tummies for me. Your determination is an inspiration.

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
Hi ya'll.

Going to wash the windows on the outside today. Just waiting for the morning chill to leave the air.

Hope my physical strength holds out as long as my mental list does!

BBL
Welcome to the newbies

Anne
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Anne, kiss Ducky's tummie for me as well.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ocali
Good morning! Just came back from the monthly breakfast. It's the last one til the fall when all the snowbirds start to return. The last of them are now leaving. Saw quite a few old (and new) friends. Of course, that's one of the reasons to go.
Daytime temps are up in the 80's so almost time for the a/c full time. Right now the ceiling fans do the trick for me.
Welcome to those who are new here this past week! And, hearty wishes for those who are ill and/or undergoing treatments now.
Also, to those who are planning on moving in the near future, good luck!!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #11

Thanks Julie, one of us moving will need "good luck", lol, and some mental therapy, too......

Wishing all of you a great day, if you can manage it or afford it.

Off to place butt back on the bike..............Saturday's are loaded with soccer games.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Verleen
Stats: 195/135/135
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 2004
Since I've become so chair bound, if I hear something on TV that interests me, I look it up on the internet. Yesterday, I watched a program on Bob Marley and didn't know who he was. So I looked him up and found that I liked his music.

I recently began reading about why I dislike "baby-talk" so much. Why should it bother me? When I read baby-talk, I stop reading and miss the whole message from the poster. So I researched why I dislike it. Here is a couple excepts from what I found that probably defines and explains why I feel the way I do. Taken from Wikipedia, but there are many other discussions on it.

Patronizing / derogatory baby talk
Baby talk and imitations of it may be used by one noninfant to another as a form of verbal abuse, in which the talk is intended to infantilize the victim. This can occur during bullying, when the bully uses baby talk to assert that the victim is weak, cowardly, overemotional, or otherwise submissive.

Some examples of widely-used baby talk words and phrases in English, many of which are not found within standard dictionaries but may be classified as nonstandard or childish terms, include:[problematic list, see talk]

baba (blanket, bath, bottle, brother, baby or an onomatopoeic term for sheep, used as a generic baby-talk term for words starting with the letter b)
beddy-bye (go to bed, sleeping, bedtime)
binkie (pacifier)
blankie (blanket)
boo-boo (wound, pain or bruise)
botty (rear end)
bow-wow (dog)
brekkie or brekfee (breakfast)
bubby or bubba (brother)
bye-bye (goodbye)
choo-choo (train)
cootchie-coo (term of endearment used for a young child)
dada (dad, or rarely dog, diaper, or dummy, British equivalent of pacifier, sometimes used as a generic baby-talk term for words starting with the letter d)
didee (diaper, chiefly American)
din-din (dinner)
doedoes (In South African English, the equivalent of beddy-bye)
doggy or -ie (dog)
dolly or -ie (doll)
dum-dum (dummy, British equivalent of pacifier)
drinky (drink)
gee-gee (horse)
goo goo ga ga (nonverbal utterance imitating a baby which has not yet learned to speak)
huggle or huggie (hug, Huggies is also a brand of diapers and baby products)
lickle (little)
mama (mother or rarely milk)
moo-moo or moo-cow (cow)
milkie or -y (milk)
no-no (taboo, something which is not good)
night-night (goodnight, bedtime)
num nums (food/dinner)
ickle (little; chiefly British)
icky (disgusting)
jammies (pyjamas)
lolly (sweets US candy)
nana (grandmother)
oopsie-daisy or whoopsie-daisy (accident)
owie (wound or bruise)
passie or paci (pacifier, often used as an abbreviation)
pee-pee (urination or penis)
pewie (smelling bad)
poo-poo or doo-doo or caca (defecation)
poopie or -y (defecation)
potty (toilet, especially a chamber pot for a young child)
poppet (term of endearment for a young child)
puffer (train)
quick-quick (haste, hurry, doing something quickly, chiefly British)
scrummy (tasty)
sissy (sister or urination)
sleepy-bye (go to bed, sleeping, bedtime)
stinky (defecation)
teensy-weensy (very small, tiny)
tummy (stomach or abdomen)
uh-oh, sometimes written as uh-uh or oh-oh (toddler's expression towards anything that is not good or has gone wrong)
wawa (water)
wee-wee (urination or penis)
whoopsie (defecation)
widdle (urine; chiefly British)
widdle (little; chiefly American)
widdo (little)
wuv (love)
yucky (disgusting)
yum-yum (meal time, informally interpreted as an expression of delight towards a pleasant-tasting food)
uppie or -sie (wanting to be picked up)
vroom-vroom or brrrm-brrrm (car)

Moreover, many words can be derived into baby talk following certain rules of transformation, in English adding a terminal /i/ sound at the end, usually written and spelled as /ie/, /y/, or /ey/, is a common way to form a diminutive which is often used as part of baby talk, examples include:

horsey (from horse)
kitty (from cat or kitten)
potty (originally from pot now equivalent to modern toilet or a chamber pot for a young child)
doggy (from dog)
milky (from milk, also spelled as milkie)
drinky (from drink)
poopy (from poop)
uppie (from up)
ducky (from duck)
pewie (from P. U., an expression of disgust towards something smelling bad)

I never "baby talked" to my children when they were babies. I gave plenty of hugs and kisses. My children talked in full, short sentences when they were 8 mos old. I didn't even like baby-talk when I was young. Now that I'm older, I find it quite offensive. I'm not talking about the occasional word everyone of us uses, but the pervasive use of baby talk. I think some people are not being patronizing or derogatory when they use baby talk. Rather I suspect they think they are being cute. Look up "Elderspeak" and you will understand more of why I feel the way I do. In case you're interested.

I wonder what I'll find on TV today.

Added: If my children begin to speak baby-talk to me, I'll know its time to make arrangements for cremation. LOL With all these hospitalizations that I'm had, I've noticed the nurses and also younger waitstaff in restaurants baby-talk older people. Its a sign of disrespect. Let's not do it to each other.

Goals:
To live each day the best I can

195/135/135

Last edited by Verleen; 04-13-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Verleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #13

That's interesting, Verleen, I've never had anyone in any service area use baby talk to me, ever. I notice it at my mother's assisted living place though. hmm, now I'll have to listen to everyone, lol. We never used baby talk to our sons, either. Sometimes we talked German to them, however.

Have a good day folks, I finished my bike time, now it's chores time, let's get to it!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #14

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/145.6/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
Sounds like you are all having a good day so far. Yes prayers for Maya, Louise and Bob, Tammy's DH.

I have been to the walk and talk group this morning. We spent over 2 hours over coffee, some had breakfast. I am trying to watch it.

I went to a manicure afterwards and had the shellac it seems to last me about 3 weeks and its a treat for me. I must get back to massages I just don't make the time for myself.

It is 2 years today since we lost Mike. I can see the progress made when I look back to last year, the state I was in. I am much calmer and stronger now. DD and DS miss their Dad and have their moments. We all have to move onwards and forwards each at their own pace.

Enjoy the rest of your day and pleasant evening to All.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #15

Susan, I'm thinking of you and your son and daughter and sending cyber ((hugs)) and understanding.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi y'all...back from the tea so thought i'd check in with you. 'Twas very interesting...apparently the church's women's ministry meet once a month and decided to have an old fashioned tea for the ladies this week. I understand they have about 25 active members and there were more than 80 there today. Nice spread for a tea (too bad I'm fasting today, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.) Had lots of tea and even brought home a door prize basket, so enjoyed myself immensely.

Verleen, I concur completely...I had baby-talk and always speak up when I hear it....I hope you're not offended by my occasional use of colloquialisms..I've always enjoyed words so much, maybe that's why I became a military broadcaster.

Susan, My heart goes out to you and your family...sending hugs and lotsa good vibes.

Hope you all had a great day and good things came your way...I'm thinking it's about time to break my fast...what to fix? hmmmm....
Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #17

Hey Mary, that sure is alot of members that went to the tea, 80, good heaven's, lol. Wonder why they don't show up otherwise, did anyone say anything about it?
Did you have a nice steak and eggs for dinner?
My dh had a drink with coconut water in it, almost spit it up, it tasted so bad, he had bought one or 2 bottles along with other flavors of some sugar free stuff, surprised the heck out of me when he began to spew, oh goodness.

Boxing on tonight at 8, so another date night. ha ha

What do you do with lots of dishes, or dish sets? No one really wants them, but dh wants me to get rid of some of them, and not drag them to Texas. I also have a large bunch of mugs, and a advertising tins collection, that I want to take along Doggone it, hard to part with these things, maybe I'm mental about it.

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ocali
Doris, this is a good time for you to get rid of 'stuff' you don't need/want. How about a re-sale shop or donate them to a charity second hand shop? Lots of them around here. I got rid of all such things when we moved to Florida after we had a garage/yard sale type of weekend. You can always buy new ones in Texas.
ocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #19

Yes Julie, part of the problem is, I still "want" them, but don't necessarily "need" them I have a bone china set for coffee and dessert, a set that is over 100 yrs. old that was in the old house we moved into when we immigrated here in 1950, a set of English blue and white dishes that was our first set when we married, a set of "good" china when we got married, a set of everyday Pfaltzgraff with matching bowls, cassaroles, etc. And Christmas dishes, lol lol.........................it's senti-mental, I know.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doris, I think I misled you...all the members brought guests. My friend brought six, so that accounts for the large number of folks. I'm thinking they were making it a membership drive.

Steak sounds soooooo good, but no, I had my Costco Salad...tossed salad with the marinated artichoke, bacon bits and sesame dressing..

I've been getting of my stuff...some to my nieces, things that have family treasures (or junk), some to yard sales, and some to the women's shelter or thrift stores. I figure I buy enough from the thrift stores, they can have some of my extra stuff.

I know you've been in your place for a loooooong time, so the stuff has accumulated...good luck emptying out the detritus of life.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
Guilty as charged on baby talk,almost all the examples you gave.Guess it comes from being under educated.Lucky that my kids came out very well,one rich enough to retire at 35,one will retire as a major in the police dept at 55 with full pay and one doing well in her two jobs.
Everyday I say I will get rid of stuff but it's all think.Lucky for me I just moved from one house to another in the same yard.lol
BBT
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #22

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
finally getting in here to say hi to everyone.

LOL on that Baby talk. I absolutely hate it and have not ever used it with my kids. Can't even stand the word "veggies" and have always used vegetables instead. Makes my teeth curl.

Doris, My goodness you would have had a CVA if you had been around me when we moved. Bags and bags of stuff went to the dump or to the salvation army. Comes a time when it hits and you don't want to leave it to someone else to toss when you are gone.

Waving to everyone and off to fiddle with the new TV I got for my computer room.
Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr

As Jack Nicholson said in the Bucket List "Somewhere right now, some lucky B*st*rd is having a heart attack"
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Two post today and I counted 3 intolerable words....
Just putting my "footsie" in the door... sorry, I mean foot.
Anne, please kiss Ducky's STOMACH (not horrors! tummy)!
Beete, Please kiss the boys on their STOMACHS. Thanks
My missin G must be maddening to some... please insert these when needed GGGGGGGGggggggggg.
Thank you
I will now join Gladys at the back of the class.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Lainey I love your posts. You are special to all of us. Sweet dreams and hold a chair for me so we can chat.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #25

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalbrihil View Post
Lainey I love your posts. You are special to all of us. Sweet dreams and hold a chair for me so we can chat.
Me too, Lainey. Love you to pieces.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

AWWW, Sharon and Linda! That is so very sweet and I love you both very much. Your post are two of the many that I look forward to each day. There is so much that is very important at this site that while it may be just under the surface it is never the less there and I take it very much to heart.
Thank you two for those wonderful words.
Now I am holding two chairs for our laugh filled chats.
E.

Last edited by Norfolk Mermaid; 04-14-2013 at 08:15 PM..