LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Sunday, April 7, 2013

Thought I would start us off for the new week with some happy photos. Here is Red sharing my iced tea:

after which he was so energized, he challenged Blue to a vigorous game of push the ball around the cat toy

which wore him out so much , he collapsed in my lap while Blue went off to watch the boxing matches with John

Last edited by Begete; 04-06-2013 at 09:47 PM..
Begete is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/119.5/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Thanks Begete for the pictures of your new additions. SO happy for all of you.

Our weather is warming up finally. John and I went fishing yesterday and caught enough crappie for our supper last night.

I need to catch up on what is happening with all of you.

Prayers for those who need healing.
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
Good morning.

A new wall oven is ordered and will be installed the 19th. I'm glad I had a neighbor come and check the measurements or I would have had a mess on my hands. So one more chore done.

Hope you all have a great Sunday.

Anne
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
That's wonderful Anne. We're getting our skylight put in on the 12th. Lot's of happenings going on.

Begete those are some great pictures to start us up and running. Love to see the new additions.

Today we will be heading for our son's place to deliver our gift. They are going to love it. I'm hoping when Kathy's vacation time builds up that they can come with us to Grizzly and camp with us. It's a little bit of heaven there.

Loretta it sounds like you had lots of fun with Bob and fishing. Now more fun when you eat your prize.

The zoodles were amazing for last nights dinner. I've got D hooked on them now. Ha!

Have a nice day today and I'll be checking in.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
checkin in!
red cats are considered really lucky to farmers (South Carolina) and no self respecting farmer would dare be without 1 or more of them.
Those "boys" are just the reatest... oh what fun!!!
last laundry for now to come out of the dryer.
bbl
Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: weezie
Stats: 160/129/125 (5' 3")
WOE: mostly low carb
Good morning all-

Begete, your kittens are just darling!

Not much planned today. Dh will be watching the Knicks this afternoon, so I'm trying to work around that. Looking forward to Tuesday and Wednesday when the forecast is above 70. Can't wait!

Monday I'll see the oncologist to find out if he and my surgeon/gynecological oncologist have settled on the chemo protocol. Whether they decide on 6 days of treatment with 3 weeks off or 1 day of treatment with 3 weeks off, I'm very likely to lose my hair. So, I've crocheted a chemo hat which can be worn with a scarf threaded through (looks a bit better than the skull cap type), and am checking my scarf and hat inventory. I kind of like turbans made with scarves.

DH is doing pretty well. He had a gig on Friday night which wore him out, but I think it did his morale good to be out and playing again.

I'm way behind on gardening. I usually start things from seed but will need to rely more on the local nursery this year. Our official frost-free date is roughly May 1st. The daffodils are up and the forsythia is almost ready to bloom. Yippee!

Happy Sunday all. Have a lovely day.

-Louise
weezie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/132.4/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Good morning all,

Enjoyed the pictures, Babette - thanks for sharing.

Glad you got some fishing in already, Loretta. I hope I have the opportunity this spring/summer.

I got quite a bit done yesterday, but still have some to catch up on today. Didn't get to the gym, clothes shopping, or the dog park yesterday. So I will get those done today as well fix the shrimp dinner and a SF key lime tart.

Enjoy your day everyone,
Michele

PS - So glad to see your post, Louise - you inspire me!

Last edited by modon69478; 04-07-2013 at 07:24 AM..
modon69478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #8

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
Hi, enjoyed all the cat pictures, Begete, new Kids for you and John for your amusement and fun.

Glad to see Louise post, and I can understand how Bob needs to go play again, give it time and be around friends, tiring though it will be.

We expect some snow tonight, lol.

Anne, I'm sure you are looking forward to getting that new wall oven, I always liked those better than the ones with a stove, but will never have one now. How are you feeling with the allergies?

Lainey, have a good Sunday and good tv.

Loretta, how neat to catch some actual fish and cook them, I've never done that before. Enjoy! And I know you are

Michele, you will be sure to get the rest of your errands done today, are there many people at the dog park you visit, usually?

Sharon, have a good time today!!

I just finished my 2 hrs. on the bike, and need to eat something, pronto!!

Enjoy your day, all of the REST of us!!

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!
mykneesareback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #9

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
Love the pictures of your new cats, Babette. They will provide you with years and years of wonderful companionship.

Hi ya Doris, you have to be happy the time on the bike is done.

Oh Michelle, that Key lime tart sounds positively delicious. can you please share that recipe?

Louise, your attitude is absolutely inspiring. Enjoy the gardening anticipation.

Sharon, you have to be really looking forward to camping this season. Enjoy!!

Hi Lainey, Loretta, Anne and all who follow.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #10

Michele, is the key line tart made with cream cheese or jello?

Well, finished 45 more minutes on the bike, and now I'm done, time to wait for phone calls and lots of yakking with son and mother.

Wind is beginning to howl, storm moving in.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Good morning all. Couldn't go to sleep last night until waaaaay late, so slept in a bit this morning. Now the furkids are fed and I'm having my morning coffee and enjoying flipping channels between QVC (In the Kitchen with Dave) and NASCAR. They're racing at Martinsville this weekend, and then I'll have the Dodgers later. But sometime todettay I've got to get in the Finale of Downton Abbey...saw where they've signed for another season so looking forward to that.

It's been busy here, this morning so see if I can catch up:

Babette - Love the pics of your cats, I so miss my TJ (Thomas, Justa Cat). I developed allergy to dander after I had him for several years and the doc told me I had to get rid of him...NOT! I'd had him for several years at that time and would have preferred to lose an appendage...he lasted many more years and was my cuddle-bunny for 17 years.

Loretta - I miss the crappie, don't miss the fishing...my parents spent any free time at the lake, so, of course, so did I. Thanks for the memory.

Anne - So you decided not to wait to replace it...good on you. Enjoy! I gave up using my oven many years ago...use a small toaster/oven for what I cook. Three reasons, expense of firing up the big one, couldn't fire it up in the summer here on the desert, and I don't do much baking anymore...it's convenient, too.

Sharon - I know you've been looking forward to having the skylight installed...will make the dark places brighter.

Lainey - How's the PT going? Have you stopped aching, yet? Good for you to be getting in more exercise. AND, congrats on the quitting smoking. I know it's hard, but oh so worth it. I keep a few extra pills I must take daily in my purse and they've come in so handy at times which I forget to take them.

Louise - I know you'll feel so much better once the decision is made as to chemo and I know you enjoyed DH's playing as well. I am so impressed by the nursing staff in the infusion clinic ...they are so outstanding and caring. I go there for my Reclast shot so know them all fairly well. Good luck lady...love the hats, they sound like a champ. I just picked up a new hat for a tea party next week.

Doris - You mean to tell us that you live in a fisherman's idea of heaven and have never been fishing? You poor, deprived woman. Not that I enjoy fishing, too much of a too boring sport when I was a kid, AND you're moving to Texas where it is one of the major sports. How's the tossing going? Getting a handle on the what-to-take, what-to-get-rid-of?

Waving to all and hoping Doug doesn't get blown away with this wind event we're having...guess it's a good'un. Have a great day folks...good things coming your way.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/132.4/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Here are the recipes for both the shrimp and the tarts - you can certainly adjust them however you like:

Ginger-Soy-Lime Marinated Shrimp
By Juenessa on March 22, 2007

About This Recipe: "This recipe courtesy of chef Bobby Flay. This marinade is versatile and can give any seafood or meat a delicious Asian flare!"

Ingredients = 38 carbs for total recipe / 6 servings = 6 carbs per serving

o 2 large shallots, peeled and chopped (6 carbs)
1 piece fresh ginger, peeled & chopped (2” piece) (2 carbs)
o 2 garlic cloves, smashed (2 carbs) 3/4 cup soy sauce (15 carbs)
o 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (10 carbs) 2 tablespoons splenda
o 1/4 cup chopped green onion (3 carbs) 1/4 cup peanut oil (I use whatever I have on hand)
o 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
2 lbs large shrimp, shells and tails on

Directions
1. Place shallots, ginger, garlic, soy, lime juice, and sugar in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Add the green onion and oil and blend until combined.
3. Season with black pepper, to taste.
4. Place shrimp in a large bowl, pour the marinade over, and let marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat a grill to high.
6. Remove shrimp from the marinade and grill for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side.

Key Lime Pie Tartlets Recipe
( I found this recipe online and adapted it - can't remember where, though - sorry)

• 8 oz one-third less fat Philadelphia Crm Chs (softened) - zero carbs
• 1/8 cup Splenda
• 4 TBsp. lime juice (or more to taste) – 9.6 carbs
• 8 oz Sugar Free Cool Whip (thawed) – 75 carbs
• 2 Tsp. Sugar-Free Lime Jell-O (optional, I only used it for color)
• 3 TBsp. Keebler Graham Cracker Crumbs – 12 carbs

Yield: (Total recipe = 97 carbs) 15 servings = 6 carbs per serving

All you do is throw the block of cream cheese, sugar and lime juice in a bowl. Use your mixer and whip it up for a few minutes on low until it's super smooth. Then fold in 6 oz of your cool whip and mix on low for a few seconds until it's blended.
Add the SF lime jell-o and a little at a time, to give it a smidgen of green color. Totally not necessary. Then place baking cups into a cupcake tin. I sprinkled the graham cracker crumbs at the bottom of the baking cups. I scooped the key lime mixture on top, then added a dollop of the remaining cool whip.

I had enough for 15 individual servings. I sprinkled the remaining graham cracker crust around the top, and it looked really cute!

Plus of course... It tastes delicious! A little more 'fluffy' than key lime pie (less of cheesecake texture).

These keep really well, you can freeze them or keep them in the refrigerator.

Enjoy!
Michele
modon69478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Doug_H
Stats: 265/203/ Under 200
WOE: Low Carb/Keepin' it simple
Start Date: Oct 99
Mary, our wind warning starts tomorrow.

Loretta, I used to do a lot of crappie fishing when I lived in Michigan and Minnesota. Drank my share of beer out in shanty town on the ice during the cold winters.

Doug
Doug_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #14

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
MIchelle, thank you so much for the recipes. They will be used often here.

Doug, I sure miss crapie fishing and associated beer drinking

Hi Mary.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ocali
They're repeating all of last year's "Call the Midwife" on PBS today. Then followed by the new ones. Just FYI for anyone who's interested.
ocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Julie, I missed the two new ones for this season so I'll catch up tonight. Am missin the Downton to the max! Jan. 14 seems like forever away.
Thanks ever so much for the shrimp and tarts- I'll shop tomorrow and plan on tuesday for naking them. P.T. is 3 days per week and I AM LOVING IT! I had no idea how much good it would do. Dad and two 6 week sessions and we both thouht he was worse but of course he had the micro surg. beforhand. Anyhow- oh boy! it has made all the difference in the world. I will be goin for the full month of April and will cry for sure when my time is up. I WILL continue with the moves and I mean all of them at home. About 43 minutes and all layin down- it is how my days will bebegin from May onward!
hmmm- going to check those Midwife times now.
bbl
I copied and pasted to a file- DARN- I gots to et my printer replaced cause I am lost with out the thing the shrimp & tarts that is. lol I am havin a distsey kind of day today.

Last edited by Norfolk Mermaid; 04-07-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Hey Lainey..good for you and the PT, glad it's working well. I know the therapist always recommends three times a week, but since Medicare restricts the number of times you can go in a calendar year, I found that by going only twice a week prolonged the training. I even went to once a week when I knew I was running out. I'll do the same thing this time when the doc prescribes it. And, of course, continue doing the exercises at home, it makes it so much better...reminds me, I'd better get back to doing mine.

Thanks for the recipes...copied and in my e-box.

Last edited by Mssarge; 04-07-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #18

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/144/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
Thank Julie, I thought it was the new season. I did see all of last season of "Call the Midwife" but missed the first night of the new season.

Lainey, hopefully we can catch up on that show.

I worked today with a couple of challenges my head is a bit muzzy now, so I am off to veg for the evening.

Waving to All and Glad to see Louise's post.
SuSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #19

Susan, hope you get some good relaxation tonight.

Mary, we used to take the oldest son fishing to the lake and streams, picnic nearby, but it was frankly boring way back then. Even now, too much quiet and I already ponder too much while doing the bike. But the scenery is terrific, lol.

We expect some snow tonight, dh has already turned on the satellite dish heater, so his tv shouldn't be spoiled.

Good Night, friends, get some sleep if you can.

Verleen, how are You doing??
Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad to see Louise as well. Good Bob was able to enjoy some time with the band.

Lainey PT does wonders. So glad you will have this month with the program.

Glad Doug was able to stop by.

We spent some time with the kids today. D had fun helping son put up the new tent. They loved it and now when there vacations permit them they will be coming along with us to spend some time in the woods. There will be quite a big group if all can make it.

Well I see I have a Call the Mid Wife episode on now so think I'll settle in and watch it. Looks it's the new season.

Take care and have a nice evening.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is the one I ended up getting. It's real easy to use.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Verleen
Stats: 195/135/135
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 2004
Good evening folks. Its been a quiet weekend for me. Everyone is working. Thanks for asking Doris.

There's been a little bit of strife in my little family here. Its all settled now thank goodness. It has driven up my blood pressure though.

Nothing new to report on the house, or anything else for that matter. Tomorrow we may go to Lowe's and find a ceiling light fixture for the hall/stairwell where the chairlift is. Trying to get ready for the electrician on Wednesday.

Louise, so good to see your post. You do a wonderful job of keeping upbeat. I do admire you.

Linda, it sounds like you are healing quickly. Is that the case? Have you found the type of car you want to get?

Anne, I'm glad you are getting a new wall oven. What you had didn't sound too safe to me.

As I read everyone's postings about how spring is touching you, it almost makes me feel like my spring is around the corner. We still have snow on the ground. I'm feeling sad to leave my home and all the landscaping that we've done. Soon our forsythia and french pink ***** willows will be blooming. And daffodils. I hate to leave it all behind. Even if I stayed here, I couldn't take care of it.

Time to take my meds, run my tests and inject my insulin. I do this every day in front of the birds. They all gather around to watch and add some commentary. I hope everyone gets a good night's rest.

Goals:
To live each day the best I can

195/135/135
Verleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #23

I'm glad to see your post, Verleen, hope you can settle in well for the night.

Sharon, that looks like an old fashioned torture machine, Wouldn't a knife do the job and be cheaper?

Does anyone know if you can toss out unpopped popcorn for the birds? We have a container full, no one will be using it, but I don't want to make birds ill, either. Just wondering.

It's getting colder, my hands are cold in this room, same as back in January, for heaven's sakes By this summer, I may remember saying this and ask why I'm complaining.

Good Night!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
Could not log in,got new pass word and it didn't work.Now it's working.
I think my friend use to give popcorn to his pigeons.My bird food has dried whole corn in it,most of the bird leave it.lol
Begete,we have orange cats here they are so pretty.The white one in the barn is so lazy,I call him,he looks up than goes back to sleep.Today he got down from his perch to potty,so he came to play.lol
Not much happening here,so it's real nice.
Did I tell you guys we are getting another great grandson,due middle of July.Gabe(9) will be a big brother.
Maya turned 15 today,thing are not looking good with bleeding in the brain.Today my dad would have been 111 years old.
BBL

Last edited by birdlady; 04-07-2013 at 08:08 PM..
birdlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Doris, I have read somewhere to NEVER give corn for birdies as it swells in their tummys.
I didn't say it I am just sayin what I read... also rice is bad for the birds at weddings. Maybe I read too much.
Slept from about 5: pm to 9: and now hoping I can et back to sleep.
Goin to call the kitties back in and try to go to sleep after doin a couple of puzzles.
bbt
Gladys, I always wanted an all white cat to name "Sugar".
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #26

I finally looked it up, corn is ok for birds, especially the larger ones like Bluejays and such, and putting it out will attract larger birds, like crows and stuff, plus squirrels and raccoons and bears, that is why they say to be careful to put it out. Rice is what swells up in the stomach, that I did know about. We have lots of jays here, so they will be happy. Starlings, too, but they do leave after awhile.

Gladys, I'm very sorry about Maya and her health not improving, can she go anywhere else for evaluation of some kind? How many great grandchildren will that be for you and Clarence? My friend in town has 19 of them, but she had 5 children.

Off to fool around.............
Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doris slicing by hand would be easier....but not nearly as fun.

Great to see your post Verleen.

I'm sorry to hear of Maya's distress Gladys. Congratulations to you and your new soon coming Grandchild.

See you all soon