Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Golden Years (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/)
-   -   one step forward half a step back? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/800077-one-step-forward-half-step-back.html)

glendabuffy 03-22-2013 01:34 AM

one step forward half a step back?

Hi,
My husband and I began the low-carb/high-protein lifestyle a year ago and for several months, we did well in terms of inches for me and both inches and weight for him (lucky sod - I have no idea why he did so much better than me).
Then we went off it while on holiday for a month and only half-heartedly afterward and that turned out to be a big mistake health-wise.
Now, we have begun again and I am wondering....

What keeps folks from dropping off this 'wagon'?

Why does it seem that one day I will weigh 5 lbs more than 2 days before and then 2 days after that, 2 lbs less?? Note: I weigh myself every second day.
What am I doing wrong? Does it become harder to do all this after 55?:

Last time I did this eating plan, I lost lots of inches everywhere but did not lose a lot of weight - has anyone else had that experience and if so, what did you do to also lose weight?

Help please? :eek:

Mssarge 03-22-2013 09:04 AM

:welcome: Glendabuffy...oh my yes. We have a saying over on the JUDDD forum, "The scale, she bounces." But we expect it as we are doing a form of intermittent fasting, 500 kcals one day and eating normally the next. You'll find that most of us here in the Golden Agers have different forms of eating, not all are low carbers, although we may have started that way. You may find more help on one of the other forums, like Atkins or South Beach or whichever.

I started low carbing back in the 80's and kept that woe on and off until last year. I got tired of losing and re-gaining the same 10-15 pounds and started looking for something else. My husband whenever he'd join me in the lc woe, would lose much more than I as it's normal due to the guy's metabolism and the basic differences. I try to maintain low to moderate carbs even tho' that's not my primary weight loss plan.

I do have a couple of suggestions for you...if you're living the low carb lifestyle, you have to stick to the plan...it does work. Drink lots of water, it not only flushes the body but it helps to maintain the balance of sodium/water in the body. Over in the main lobby, they're talking about glucogenesis a lot, you up the fat you eat as the body will generate glucose from the proteins. And remember the body will store the carbs as fat if it is ingested with fat...it uses the fat calories first, or vice versa...I'm not up on some of the latest concepts.

Good luck, and I do suggest checking out some of the other forums for help...we here are a great support group for whatever you decide...come back often and check out our morning roll call and menus...

glendabuffy 03-24-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mssarge (Post 16330225)
:welcome: Glendabuffy...oh my yes. We have a saying over on the JUDDD forum, "The scale, she bounces." But we expect it as we are doing a form of intermittent fasting, 500 kcals one day and eating normally the next. You'll find that most of us here in the Golden Agers have different forms of eating, not all are low carbers, although we may have started that way. You may find more help on one of the other forums, like Atkins or South Beach or whichever.

I started low carbing back in the 80's and kept that woe on and off until last year. I got tired of losing and re-gaining the same 10-15 pounds and started looking for something else. My husband whenever he'd join me in the lc woe, would lose much more than I as it's normal due to the guy's metabolism and the basic differences. I try to maintain low to moderate carbs even tho' that's not my primary weight loss plan.

I do have a couple of suggestions for you...if you're living the low carb lifestyle, you have to stick to the plan...it does work. Drink lots of water, it not only flushes the body but it helps to maintain the balance of sodium/water in the body. Over in the main lobby, they're talking about glucogenesis a lot, you up the fat you eat as the body will generate glucose from the proteins. And remember the body will store the carbs as fat if it is ingested with fat...it uses the fat calories first, or vice versa...I'm not up on some of the latest concepts.

Good luck, and I do suggest checking out some of the other forums for help...we here are a great support group for whatever you decide...come back often and check out our morning roll call and menus...

Mssarge
Thank you very much for both the reply and the welcome! I am also grateful for the hint on the info about "the body will store the carbs as fat if it is ingested with fat". For the one day that we do not keep under 20-25 carbs, it appears that we (my hubby and I) should go low fat and high carb. I will also check out the main lobby and glucogenesis too.
Thanks again,

GlendaBuffy

LoveMontana 03-24-2013 08:33 AM

Sheer will power and the absolute want of this healthy life style. You have to be absolutely committed to Atkins or what ever life style diet plan you are on to make it work. The longer you resist a "crave" for carby foods, the easier it becomes.

Best of luck to you.

glendabuffy 03-26-2013 12:07 AM

Many thanks LoveMontana for posting your comment - it was appreciated :)