Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Golden Years (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/)
-   -   TUESDAY Roll Call, Feb. 26 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/797915-tuesday-roll-call-feb-26-a.html)

mykneesareback 02-25-2013 09:10 PM

TUESDAY Roll Call, Feb. 26

We returned from my mother's 100th. birthday family get together, took us 2 to 3 days of having some good laughs and sharing memories........thankful it all worked out. Seeing the kids made it wonderful, adult kids, grandson and niece's baby girl we hadn't even seen yet. :) Thanks for all the good wishes you guys sent!

How is your Jeep doing now, Lainey :dunno:

Wishing everyone well.

Mssarge 02-25-2013 11:25 PM

Thanks for the start up, Doris, glad to see you back where you belong. Sure sounds like a good time was had by all...love those family reunions and special events.

Eleven p.m. and I just saw video of the blizzard in Amarillo, Texas. Wow! Looks like a good un folks. All the way up to Chicago will be feeling the effects of this low pressure. So, I guess winter is still blowing even tho' we here in SoCal will be seeing temps in the 80's I'll be thinking of your cold, blowing winds...stay warm folks and be careful on the highways....sending good vibes for all.

Norfolk Mermaid 02-26-2013 05:37 AM

*&^% lost a big post!

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here is eye up date.
Chief Joseph is still in hospital.
bbl

Norfolk Mermaid 02-26-2013 05:39 AM

Good morning and wellcome back Doris.

Great to hear from Beete. All I can think of is all those flowers in the Islands.
Loved the orchids growing everywhere wild in a little zoo in Nassau. Course vivid bushes of those ??? morning brain here. I must plant some of those in the yard.
"Chief Joseph" is still in hospital with that rough idle. oogle says dirty gas??? so I will have to go up in octaine and stop with the 20.00 fills and get fill ups occasionally just in case. Also add gas cleaner but will talk to the repaire gurus when I pick him up. I guess the black eye was a good distraction as I seem way less stressed about the money & Jeep than I did before.
ot a bit of nausea this morning but slept late which may be too long between my diabetes meds.
The Christmas gift card will serve me well for a new printer at Wallys.
Eye up date below- cheek still sore to the touch.
bbl

Norfolk Mermaid 02-26-2013 05:40 AM

HA found it! That never happens.
bbl

tatehouse 02-26-2013 06:06 AM

Good morning.

Off to the VW place with my little Jetta. Nothing wrong but when I opened the trunk last weekend I found a screw in the trunk. I don't know where it came from so I'm having them see if it is indeed vital!

Have a great day all.

Poor eye, Lainey...

Anne

LoveMontana 02-26-2013 07:32 AM

Good morning everyone and a huge welcome home Doris.:jumpjoy: You were missed.
So happy to hear the party and family get together was a huge success and a happy event. It's wonderful to catch up with family members you haven't seen in a long time.
Hope you took many pictures to share.;)

Anne, hopefully that screw isn't anything important. Good luck.

Lainey, wonderful that it's only "dirty" gas and that the jeep will be fine after running gas cleaner and several tank fulls of a higher octane through it.

Hi ya Mary, yes that blizzard is a nasty one. Looks like we will get some of it tonight, but only in the form of "frizzle". Hopefully.

Just a run out to wally world for some staples like TP, and paper towels. It never ends. Hopefully our weather front won't drive everyone into the store buying up everything in sight. :rolleyes:

Crazy Cat 02-26-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norfolk Mermaid (Post 16281148)
Great to hear from Beete. All I can think of is all those flowers in the Islands.
Loved the orchids growing everywhere wild in a little zoo in Nassau. Course vivid bushes of those ??? morning brain here. I must plant some of those in the yard.
"Chief Joseph" is still in hospital with that rough idle. oogle says dirty gas??? so I will have to go up in octaine and stop with the 20.00 fills and get fill ups occasionally just in case. Also add gas cleaner but will talk to the repaire gurus when I pick him up. I guess the black eye was a good distraction as I seem way less stressed about the money & Jeep than I did before.
ot a bit of nausea this morning but slept late which may be too long between my diabetes meds.
The Christmas gift card will serve me well for a new printer at Wallys.
Eye up date below- cheek still sore to the touch.
bbl

Lainey-I asked my son about the rough idle on your jeep (he used to have one). He said the first things he would check would be the air filter and plugs. To check the air filter, he said take it out and start the car without it, see if the idle is better. If it is, get a new filter. Dirty, improperly gapped or mismatched plugs can mess up the idle. He said dirty gas is not the same as needing higher octane, and unless you have a high compression engine 87 octane should be fine. Although using a higher octane on occasion may help clean the engine (more additives in the gas) Add some injection cleaner as well as gas cleaner. That's the easy stuff, if it's not that it could be the timing or several other things. If it makes you feel better, my 2011 car is doing the same thing and the dealership can't figure out why.:sad:

tatehouse 02-26-2013 08:30 AM

The screw was for the license plate holder in a plastic wrapper in the trunk...it just fell out...duh! But while I was down there I had them remove the Dealers sticker off the back of the car. I don't want to do their advertising for them. I truly don't mind the little discreet ones but this one was as big as a piece of toast...TMI...so take it off.

I'm in hot water with my DD for a slip of the lip by text...I'm sure she will get over it but it will be a long week!

BBL
Anne

Mssarge 02-26-2013 08:31 AM

Good morning all..sunny and going into the 80's again today after a night in the 30's...hope everyone is doing well...

Today is the Black Heritage luncheon at the ol' workplace so I get good food, good conversation and see some folks I haven't seen in a long time. I hear one of the squadron commanders from my old, old assignment will be there so t'will be good to see him and his wife...just wish the old gunny and his wife would show up, too. It's good seeing old friends but it brings back some great memories as well. My friend, Tina, is one of the chairpersons and they really come up with some good programs; so it should be fun.

I've yet to learn to stay away from the sugar-free gummy candies but after last night, I think I learned that lesson. Up all night with trips to the loo so tossing the rest of 'em so I won't be tempted again. To make matters worse I had a couple of prunes "to keep things moving" so had to move out just to make sure....I know TMI but by writing about it t'will drive it into my brain.:eek:

One bad thing about going into the ol' workplace is that everyone is talking about the sequestering and are afraid of the furlough. It is a big concern for those peripherally in the DoD and our job is one that I'm sure the bean counters are looking at...guess I'd better get moving.

Y'all have a great day; find something good to do, to eat, or to enjoy, it looks like a good day coming.

Mssarge 02-26-2013 08:39 AM

Hey Jan...we were typing at the same time, so went back and read your post. I noticed we're on the same path so wanted to compliment you on your weight loss. I've low carbed for years and got tired of losing and regaining the same old 10-15 pounds and started JUDDD in June. We started at about the same weight and are about the same weight now....my sister in weight loss. WTG:high5:

Just had to comment and will keep an eye on your losses as well. Right now I'm so discouraged and have to get back to my JB's for further help...my body really seems to be fighting me now and I thought I'd broken the stall, but noooooo!

Anyway, just had to say good job!:shake:

Norfolk Mermaid 02-26-2013 10:11 AM

"Chief Joseph" is parked along side the TeePee!

and is seemin to be kinda peppy. They did not do the tune up- said it was not needed. When they started the Jeep this morning the rough idle was gone. The cost stayed under 900.00 so I was happy about that... my neighbor car guru said the price was very, very fair.
There was a Popeyes along the way home so I got a yummy spicy lunch to brin home. The "real" southern sweet tea is a great treat.
It is rainy with heavy rain to come so I will snuggle with book IV of "The Dark Tower" series of VII books.
The higher octaine gas fill up and library run are tomorrow and Sam's shopping and paying lots of bills on friday.
Bein withOUT wheels is pure torture but it is over! Thank G*d! Now back to normal.
Everyone sounds good but am worried about Bob- Louise and Verleen. Prayers are goin up.
bbl

birdlady 02-26-2013 12:35 PM

:birthday::birthday::birthday::birthday::birthday: :birthday:Mary
Have a nice day,65 WAS a good year for me.

Mssarge 02-26-2013 03:51 PM

Well, the luncheon was very good...good friends, I saw a few I haven't seen for about a year so that was great....good food, really good southern cookin'. In the past they've brought in from restaurants, but today was a pot luck. Wish I'd known and I'da brung something. Even the cornbread was true southern-style...not sweet, thank goodness.

The program was a good example of rule by committee...two different persons booked preachers who recite Martin Luther King, Jr's "I've got a dream" speech...I didn't know he had actually titled the speech "the Bad Check." History is certainly interesting and, I guess, bears repeating occasionally. "Nuther speaker is the chair of the city's Black Chamber of Commerce and shared a bit on the proclamation and Harriet Tubman.

So, I had a good day, hope you did too...back in the house for the evening. Tomorrow I get puppy clipped, so I guess I've decided to keep him...but we'll see, won't we?

Begete 02-26-2013 04:51 PM

Friends ....just got on the scale. Gained seven pounds on this cruise. When we get home, back to strict induction :-(

LoveMontana 02-26-2013 05:12 PM

Great tip, Jan. Sometimes it's the simple things that make all the difference.

Yikes Babette,:eek: Are you flying back or going on another cruise? Oh well, at least you enjoyed yourself.
At least you know the drill. Induction again.

Anne, Whew!! At least it was only a license plate holder and not something serious.
Sorry about the hot water. We all sometimes let fly with something that we should have bitten our tongues over. Welcome to the club.

Lainey, it's great that "Chief Joseph" is back home and purring like a kitten. As you said, being without wheels is torture.

Oh yes, I'm very worried about Verleen and Louise. :sad: Hope they check in soon.

:hiya: Gladys.

Hi ya Mary, OMG!!! You got the malitol/sorbital runs, eh? Those sugar free candies taste fabulous, but look out!!!
My DH got into a lot of them at a Low Carb gathering and Pig Roast in KY, a few years ago and I had to pull over many , many, many times on the 14 hr drive back. :rolleyes: Lesson learned.

That storm front has arrived and is starting to dump on us as I type.

mykneesareback 02-26-2013 06:00 PM

Oh my Linda, I can only imagine that trip home with your dh full of that stuff, goodness!!

Begete, fear not, your weight gain from vacation is an old story told and retold for decades, just go back to your normal eating, not starving and punishing yourself. Vacation food is always tastier than the normal stuff at home. At least you didn't get Food Poisoning, Lordy, I've been there and done that, too.

Lainey, hope your car behaves itself for awhile now.............did you tell your daughter?

Mary, glad you had an interesting day, and enjoyed meeting with former co workers. How large is your motor home, can it hold 3 dogs and you? ;)

Anne, I would have wondered about that "loose screw", too.

I also thought I'd read something from Louise and Verleen on here while I was gone.

That new doctor that we tried to get to authorize dh's medical stuff in a closer city, it didn't work out, found out for sure today...........so it's back to Sacramento for us, as usual, just have to put up with it.

Gas prices are $4.23 up here, and down in the valley, $3.99.

Have a pleasant evening, if you are able to. I need to go finish doing some weights, and then just reading on the computer.