Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Golden Years (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/)
-   -   FRIDAY ROLL CALL, Feb. 8 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/796658-friday-roll-call-feb-8-a.html)

mykneesareback 02-07-2013 09:01 PM

FRIDAY ROLL CALL, Feb. 8

1 Attachment(s)
Almost time for another weekend, friends........., it meant more to me back when I had an actual job, though ;)

Norfolk Mermaid 02-08-2013 05:39 AM

Rain, rain go away- come again another day!

Thanks Dorey Do for sogy day start.
Pouring rain all the live long night and continues this mornin with gusty winds up to 40 mph. WOW- if this was snow it would really be something.
Laser surg. at 2:15 today but supposed to be drying out by then. Kitties are hating it so much but it is warmish at least.
Had to take a pain pill for a migraine plus sinus headache. Was told by an ENT man in N.Y. that sinus triggers migraines and it sure was a doosey this morning.
Lets make it as good a day as we can.
bbl

tatehouse 02-08-2013 05:50 AM

Good morning all,

The rain has stopped and looks to be a nice weekend. DD and I are going to the tag office this morning to finish some business. Will be nice to have a few minutes with her alone!

My new cat came around Mothers Day, I believe. So Ducky is 10ish months old I believe. The cat that ended up next door is an outside cat and it looks like she is pregnant. I hope she is just a fat cat. The raccoons will get the kittens if they stay outside. Not my business I just hate to see that happen.

Ginny, Ziva is the dog. You don't mean a sandbox for a dog, do you? I have not heard of that. The cats have a box. The new cat will not use it. Prefers to go outside. She WILL use it but would rather go outside. Suits me. But I have the crazy black cat inside always. So still need a box.

Better get a move on before DD gets here. I'm all ready to go ... just need to brush my teeth! Have a great Friday, ya'll.

Anne

birdlady 02-08-2013 07:15 AM

Not to pretty out this morning but it's not snow.Can't even imagine all that snow over by Linda's.Hope they are all stocked up on food and fuel.
DH did all the cats,horses and self this morning,I slept from 3 to 8.
All days are the same here,fine with me as long as they are stress free.
Have a good day gang.
BBL

mykneesareback 02-08-2013 07:26 AM

Hopefully power stays on, and you friends "out east" can get through this storm in good and safe shape.

Be back later, gotta hit the bike now :shake:

Wishing you a safe surgery, Lainey!

Liblady 02-08-2013 07:33 AM

Geesh........sorry Anne, no you're right, as far as I know, dogs don't use sandboxes, ha.

Beautiful here, so hard to believe that the storm of the century is heading to the NE. I really feel for the victims of Sandy, they can't seem to catch a break.

We plan on playing 9 holes of golf in a little bit and then going out with friends to Longhorn Steak House. We've never been there, so looking forward to it.
Ginny

Norfolk Mermaid 02-08-2013 08:04 AM

Thanks Doris. I am a bit nervous. Dam, dam. Why oh why BOTH eyes!?
Do you have a PETA? They will trap and "fix" them if you call them. They do here. Some idiot here was rabbin them and sellin them to Duke for Do and cat labs. Special place in ELL for that *******.
Need to fix up for my appt. Former Deacon is pickin me up at 1:
bbl after the ordeal.

Mssarge 02-08-2013 09:23 AM

Good morning all...rainy and cold here, temps in the 50's for the next few days...hope our friend back yonder and up there are staying warm and cozy with the freezin' weather y'all are having.

Anyone have any plans for the lunar new year this weekend? I'm just doing the long noodles and banging my drum....

good luck, Ginny, with the surgery, hoping it goes well for you.

Linda, hope you're hunkered down and staying comfy.

Doris, love the ironic start this morning and sending lots of hugs your way...and good vibes to all...

mykneesareback 02-08-2013 09:42 AM

Mary, until you mentioned it, haven't given one thought to New Year, lol. Used to go out to eat when we lived in the SF Bay area. Our area up here doesn't even think asian thoughts, lol.

I'm worried about our Eastern friends, but the season has to leave another mark before it changes. We had snow last night, but not enough to do more than make roads slippery.

Off to do kitchen work and laundry.............

Shalbrihil 02-08-2013 09:51 AM

It's still morning here in Cali. The rain found us and it has been coming down since last night. It's softer and more pleasant then the constant down pour so enjoying it.

Lainey good luck with your surgery. I've had both eyes done and just wear the readers now. It's wonderful not to have those glasses on all the time :)

Ginney enjoy your restaurant experience. Steak house...yummy!

Doris my dil is going to start today sharing my health rider bike. She has to pass a physical before starting her new job next month. My bike will be busy spinning too.

Thinking of everyone in the Eastern weather front. I'm sure you are all prepared and cozy waiting out the storm.

Well, heading to our health food market for some grass-fed beef and yogurt. I'm sure I'll be adding more as I just can't seem to control myself when I'm there. There are just too many goodies to put in the basket. Check back with you later.

LoveMontana 02-08-2013 10:07 AM

Snow hasn't arrived here yet but it should by 2 PM or so. Ran out to pick up extra half and half and eggs, and found a nice pork roast to have for dinner....

Hair cut in a half hour so I'll be back by the time it starts...

Generator....Check

Pop corn.... Check

Chardonnay....Check.;)

Begete 02-08-2013 10:28 AM

Woke up around 4:45 am and could not go back to sleep. Took a sleeping pill and just woke again at nearly 10 am.

Hope all of you in the path of the storm stay safe and warm.

If you are ever contemplating a cruise, there is a website called Cruisecritic.com that you should consult before selecting your cruise and then read it til you leave because with the proviso that many frequent cruisers are fanatics and any negative comment about "their" ships" may result in flaming, once you are able to separate posts into trustworthy and not, there is much better info there than even a travel agent can provide.

First read the ship reviews, relying mostly on passenger reviews, then each cruise line has its own message board section, and finally, there is a "roll call" where you look for YOUR selected ship, itinerary and dates, and read comments from other passengers.

Right now I am reading "Celebrity secrets" where other, more experienced passengers tell you how to save money, where the best food is, etc.

Then there are message boards about particular destinations.

When we traveled on a Baltic Cruise some years ago, we saved at least $2,000 on shore excursions by using the "roll call" and destination message boards to arrange private tours with our fellow passengers rather than the shore excursions offered by the cruise line. We did the same on our cruise to New Zealand just a few years ago. This time, however, we cannot do that because all our fellow passengers made these arrangements long ago, and we just booked this past Tuesday.

One thing we learned is that on the ship we are taking, from the "tips" section, we may bring two bottles of our own wine on board. Since neither DH or I are big drinkers, but do like wine with dinner, this saves us considerable $$. Also one may bring soft drinks on board. DH drinks diet coke for which the ships charged. I am an iced tea drinker and that is free.

weezie 02-08-2013 10:49 AM

hi all-

Snow is coming down heavily now. It started around 9 this morning and we are expecting 12 - 18". Got my MRI done this morning. They got me in early, probably due to snow cancellations. Very glad it's done.

We're all set for the blizzard, though we don't have a generator. Here's hoping the power stays on!

Have a good day and I hope Lainey's eye surgery goes well.

all the best,

-Louise

Mssarge 02-08-2013 10:59 AM

Begete, thanks for the link..will definitely check it out. Still planning on a cruise sometime soon.

Just decided I can kill two birds with one pot...clean out the fridge and make a pot of gumbo...I've been craving it since it was mentioned earlier. Just gotta make a quick run out for some shrimp for the broth...sure hope the marketo has a sale on fresh shrimp...hmmm, maybe I'll run to WINCO and pick up some mud puppies...

Stay warm and dry folks...

ocali 02-08-2013 12:23 PM

Off to the spaghetti dinner at one of the clubhouses shortly. I've been nursing my very sore sacro all day but managed to drive to the post office to mail back those lovely, but expensive, toiletries. Sure hope the credit card doesn't get charged. Also, straightened out another little mess. I had changed over the electric company billing to my name from late DH. Just noticed that they charged me $28.! I called and they credited the $28. back to my account. I was ready for a fight but it was easy. Whew!
It is 75 degrees and very sunny here today. Take care all you northern folk.

Mssarge 02-08-2013 12:24 PM

SNOW IN SOCAL

Unfreaking believable :hyst: For the third time, I'm seeing snow fall in SoCal...outside of the mountains or foothills that is. my neighbor's hedge is snow-covered...I think this storm is a bit different than the forecasters saw. We have about 30,000 people without power in the basin due to thunderstorms and hail....hope it sticks long enough for me to get a picture....

Liblady 02-08-2013 12:49 PM

A cute thing..............
We are on the golf course this afternoon coming up over a little hill in the golf cart and what is immediately in front of us??? an 8 ft. alligator, just sunning himself on the fairway.
I yelled, and DH quick turned the cart so we didn't run over him, but not to worry, he just continued to lay there, not bothered at all by our closeness to him.
We played the hole and then he hunched himself up and walked a bit, then lay back down. Quite a sight and of course NO camera.
SO Fun!
Ginny

mykneesareback 02-08-2013 12:56 PM

Wow Ginny! Lol, good thing you saw it in time before running into it, oh my!

Hi Louise, glad you got that MRI in and hurried home, stay warm and safe and wishing Bob well.

SuSUN 02-08-2013 01:11 PM

Thank YOU to Bulldog Doris for our daily start to TGIF!
LOL! Ice cream and WW now that's a good combination to keep both in business.
I wonder how much that white bulldog can see through his goggles?

Snow cover happening up here too, it has been falling steadily all day. The sky looks full. I stayed at home cosy warm and off the roads today.
I did get out yesterday to meet a few friends at the Mall we had coffee and a browse around the shops. It is always good to have a chit chat and exchange ideas.

Julie, glad you got that $$ fee reversed. Enjoy your pasta dinner today. I wish I was still down there. A dear GF is selling her condo for $220K it is very tempting but the condo fees and upkeep are quite expensive while I would not be there. One can dream on these snowy days huh?

Mary, that is so funny you getting snow too. Yes snap a pic before it thaws.

Anne and Ginny, Do I have a video clip for You. LOL! Dog training to the max!!!

Hope the power stays on for everyone and sending out positive thoughts for All.

I hope to check back later...

Mssarge 02-08-2013 01:33 PM

Well, the snow didn't last long enough to get the picture...but it's a good memory. My gumbo is simmering in the new Ninja and I think I'm going to like it. It works well as a "stove top" pot, then switches to a slow cooker. I've yet to try the oven settings, but it looks like a good addition for the RV...we'll see how it works out after a while.

I've still to run out for the shrimp and I also found out I have no okra in the freezer, so that's a pickup, too. But I can't find the crab I have in there...it must be hiding...but I'll look again before I give up on it...just waiting for the rain to let up so I can dash out between the raindrops.

I called my roomer to let him know this storm is worse than predicted and he's the one that brought the cold into the house...he's laid up but was planning on driving in tonight. Changed his mind and decided to stay in Vegas as our snow level will be dropping to 2,000 feet and tonight both passes will probably be closed. That took a load off my mind as I hate to think of anyone driving in this kind of weather. I remember once coming over Storm King Mountain in New York and people would start to pass and see our Alaska plates and just pull in behind us...we had about ten cars behind us when we got over the pass.

Stay warm and comfy folks...its a good time for comfort food...I have my gumbo, what's yours?

Norfolk Mermaid 02-08-2013 02:11 PM

I' mmmm back.

So easy- didn't even know she was doing it- figured she was still examin the eye. Whew, now the second eye on the 22nd. Follow up on the 13 but it is in her local for me office. Picked up the eye drops Rx and my "ride" treated me to lunch at Chick Felet. I am treating him to lunch at the next ride in on th 22nd. Now just waitin for the eye to UNdilate.
I started the Steven King "Tower" series and unsure if I like it so far. He admitted his love for the Lord Of The Rings in the forward... I'm committed though so will plug along thru all 5 volumes. I had 2 of the books and the rest are from the library.
My pupil is huge.... wonder how long before is normal again.
LOVE snow so a bit envious but more than 1 day power outae is not fun so hopin our north east does ok.
Now to check in with Anita but want to wait till eye pupil is human sized.
Thanks everyone for the concern.
That crock is a little too much nature for me but then aain I miht have loved it up close like that. Me thinks I would have headed that cart to the nearest busy street corner.
bbl- save some of that gumbo for me.

modon69478 02-08-2013 06:07 PM

I've made it home - Yay! Yay! So glad to be home -

Now for some comfort food of my own -

I hope the power stays on for all in the way of the storm. Glad to hear Lainey's procedure went well today. Also, Louise, made it to her appointment. Hope Babette has a wonderful time on her cruise.

Waving to everyone else,

Michele