LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/119/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Roll Call for Sunday Jan 27

This might help get you going. I think I am addicted to coffee.
How about you?
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hayhauler
Stats: 260 (1-1-13)/250 (1-25-13)245(2-12-13)/190
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: 01-01-13
I woke at five, and stumbled to the brewing device, making sure that there would be some of that magic elixir as early as possible. Addicted? Truth be known I guess I am. I'm not looking for a cure though, just a good support group to help me practice my addiction.
hayhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
Good morning (THANKS) Loretta and good morning to the rest.

WOW! a very warm week coming with 70s by wed. or thurs. Today is cold starting in the teens.
Been so lazy lately that I am having to invoke the 9 chores per room today as a motivation.
Did the boiling water in the bird bath already but didn't see any birds from my glass door after- I just poor the boiling water over the very thick ice and laugh when I watch the from the door as they walk on the ice under the water and look like little ice skaters. I inherited that tall bird bath and shopped for one for the back yard and they cost near 100.00 so needless to say I'll make do with the one in the front.
Welp, time to get a going.
Have a blessed Sunday everyone.
bbl

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

shucks,

ment to add a pic of my "girls".
oops, don't know what I hot.
don't forget to click on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0423.jpg (27.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0365.jpg (69.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
Morning!

So glad you enjoyed the chicken, Sharon. It's a keeper here, too.

Watched tv all day yesterday but feel a good bit stronger today. So I might vacuum...yuck!

Or read!

Have a good Sunday
Anne
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ocali
Don't forget......Downton Abbey tonight!
ocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

I can hardly wait Julie.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Good morning,

Thanx for starting us off, Loretta. I think you, Hayhauler and I can start a caffeine support group.

I think I may have caught the stomach bug from Anne and Doug. Knowing that our guests were all leaving town for various travels after next week, we cancelled our dinner party last night. I had had a really bad headache that asperin didn't help since Thursday, and yesterday, was really nauseous. I was also fatigued and have been sleeping a lot. But I don't think I am nearly as ill as Anne and Doug have described, so it could be a chemical overload from being in two restaurants for two days in a row (I am chemically senstive in the extreme), but we didn't want to feel responsible for ruining anyone's vacation, so we cancelled.
Still the same this morning, so plan on taking it easy.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Liblady
Stats: 108 lbs. 5'
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: May '11
OMG, going into the 80s today.
Mary, DH and I are going to play an actual game of golf later today. This will probably be my 4th time out "really" playing on a course. It'll be just the two of us, so no pressure.

I put a chicken in the crockpot and did the coke/ketchup thing so it will be BBQ chicken when done. That will be nice to come home to.

I want to know what you all think (those of you who have one) about a Keurig machine. Here's the deal......................each of us drinks 2 cups of coffee in the morning, that's it. Is it worth it changing to a Keurig? Is it easier in any way? Looking forward to hearing from you all about it.

Our hometown is getting an ice storm today, a good day to be in FL.

Oh the ribs were great yesterday, the guy had just bought a new smoker, we just don't do that kind of outside stuff. DH is not into it.I think we're among the very few that don't have a big fancy grill down here, it's almost like a status symbol. That's OK, I like things cooked outside on a normal, old fashioned charcoal grill anyway.

Begete, you did the right thing, very nice of you to think of the others. Stay warm and cozy today, maybe a really good book.
Ginny
Liblady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

LOVE my DDs Kurig- the coffee taste just wonder full... I guess because it is always fresh with those little cuplets. Oh yes! I think you would love it and it is for sure worth the money. DD does not drink coffee AT ALL but she loves the TEA cuplets- it is so FAST that that alone makes it worth the cost. GO FOR IT!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #11

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
Hello friends.

Ginny, I wouldn't get one of those machines, would go bankrupt, since I drink coffee from when I get up until I go to bed at night. Plus, my dh thinks the size of the coffee drinks from that machine are way too small, like drinking from small coffee cups in the "old days", when we used saucers with the cups.
But that's only my opinion, and I only drink black coffee, except at Starbucks.

We had 4 inches of snow, so it looks like Christmas again out there.

Begete, I'm glad you cancelled the dinner, there will be other times to do that, and enjoy it more when you feel better.

Thanks for starting us off, Loretta. I have no desire to not drink coffee, don't care about the addiction at all.

Anne, did you vacuum yet?

Waving at Lainey!

Hello Julie, would you take a trip to England to visit the real place where that tv show is filmed? Might be fun for you!! There are tours.

Howdy, Hay haul guy. Do you have ice and snow out there right now?

Barely had a path to the mailbox yesterday, and it messed it all up again. Our driveway is so long, lol, have to go out and make a path, before it freezes.

The light over the kitchen sink went out, and I was afraid to tell dh, because it will be "sturm und drang" for him to change it out. Usually our son would do it, he is taller and has larger hands...............so, if you hear screams and yells from Calif., it's me and dh.

Have as good a day as you can, and let's keep the Clorox company going, gang!!!

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Good morning all...clouding and colder today...why do we say cooler in the summer and colder in the winter? And both represent only a few degrees drop. Have to consider that.

I love coffee, I love tea. I love the java jive and it loves me

One of my fav songs and turned into one of my fav drinks. As a sergeant in the Army, my troops did not recognize me without the cup in my hand. And my normal joke was if I had laid my cup down somewhere and was looking for it was "I'm going to have to learn to speak Martian, so I can have my cup following me around." (another reference to an obscure book...Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein.) Yep! I'm addicted and am always looking for a support group...the nest is always open to others.

Keurig! I bought mine last year...in July or so...maintaining a regular pot of Joe depends on how you treat it. We always turned the pot off after it was brewed and heated individual cups in the microwave...and a pot would last DH and I a couple of days...me, two or three cups a day, he would have one in the morning and then one during the night sometime. After he passed, a pot would last me more than that, and I would wind up dumping a half a pot or so on the third day. But I've always preferred freshly made coffee.

The Keurig allows me to have freshly made coffee every cup...it's more expensive. I would get maybe 30-40 pots from the two 1/2 pound can, so the cost was negligible...K-cups run about fifty cents a cup. I have the k-cup in which I can use my coffee, but haven't been able to find the key to brewing it to my taste. Also, the one I have is the pour-over kind and extra water overflows into a drip tray...and the coffee is much stronger than I really like but I'm adjusting to it. Also, if I make a second cup for someone else, I have to wait a bit to allow the system to cool off. Those are my negatives, now the positives.

I do like the convenience of having each cup fresh coffee and when I want it. I would recommend the type that has the reservoir that holds water and you adjust the amount used for each cup. There is a wide assortment of coffees available in the K-cups so if you like variety it's your bag...I also have chocolate, cider and a variety of teas...regarding the coffees, tho', there are many bold roasts and I like mine as the lighter roasts...so pick up the other flavors in small packages until you find the ones you like.

I buy a lighter roast at Costco at 80 for $35 which has become my favorite. Also, if you use regular ground coffee in the k-cup, you must grind it finer than regular drip-type as the water passes through quickly....bottom line. I now prefer the convenience and the taste.

Long answer to a short question, I know, but I hope it helps. Now back to my addiction...

I love coffee, I love tea...I love the java jive and it loves me.

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 01-27-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
We're big coffee drinkers here too. Dh more than me. He has his stainless cup from Cabales (sp) that goes everywhere with him. I'm a morning drinker and like to have several cups to start off my day. The rest of the day is iced tea and water. Sometimes flavored mineral water.

We have another nice day here today. The bird families are all over the feeders and the hummer are battling at there stations. Beautiful day to get outside and take a stretch of the legs.

Enjoy what you can do and don't worry about the rest.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.”
Eckhart Tolle

Sharon
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Doris, they are adjustable to size of cup- the bottom tray even lowers for really big cups like mine- I use a very, very thick ice tea glass that uses 3 cuplets and it is still faster than boiling a tea kettle or nuking which I no longer use at all. I would love one but not in my budget now or prolly ever.
Brrrrr this is a cold day- only up to the 20s again today.
bbl
Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

The Canadians in another online group to which I belong seem to prefer a machine called Tassimo to the Kuerig.

Unfortunately, the inserts for the different machines are not interchangeable.

The complaint about the amount of time one must wait between cups seems common.

So, I guess I will stick with Doris and keep on using my 4 cup mini pot.
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Begete? no waiting at all on my DDs Kurig- I would end up just using the hot water with my instant which I love almost as much as that super fresh and I mean clean, fresh splendid coffee. I love hers but for just me it would be too spendy when I like my instant almost as well.
So waiting for Call the Midwife and big time impatient for Dowton Abby tonight. Yall gonna see 60 mins? Wonder how old Hill is?
bbl
Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Liblady
Stats: 108 lbs. 5'
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: May '11
OK, I made the decision. No Keurig here. I guess if we drank more coffee it would be worth it but we don't drink that much and we don't do tea. Thanks for all your thoughts.
Ginny
Liblady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I would get a Keurig if it were just me drinking the coffee-I only drink one or two cups. But my son can drink a whole pot, which is way too expensive with a Keurig. They do make refilliable pods you can buy, but that's too much hassle. I do like having fresh coffee for each cup, I hate coffee that's been reheated!
Crazy Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #19

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care if the coffee is reheated, lol. Once I finish the morning pot, I move on to instant coffee, and drink that all day, either from microwave heat or pour it into a pot on the stove, I like it good and hot, but will drink it cold if need be. Coming from a family that lived through wars, we never tossed out coffee, my parents even made soup from leftover coffee, with stale bread in it, because that was all they had
Coffee is all I drink, hate plain cold water, and tea makes me pee, for some reason.
Do any of you drink juice, no matter how much sugar is in it? At my mother's assissted living place, they have all kinds of juices, high sugar, low sugar, no sugar, etc. just to please as many as they can. I think we become more persnickety as we age, I notice it now, at 66, compared to when I was younger.
It's still cold, only made it into the 30's today, some of the new snow has melted away though. We had a huge Owl visit us for 2 days, looking for moles and voles, I guess.

Take care of yourselves, I'm already afraid of that nurovirus though.
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Doris - I also reheat it. I do the same as you.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Lainey - we don't get Call the Midwife before Downton Abbey. You are lucky!!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #22

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/119/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
I make about 10 cups in my electic percolator. I then put the coffee into my Thermos bottles and they stay quite warm in there. I drink from the thermos or reheat if it gets too cold in the nuker. Works for me. I usually drink all 10 cups.
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #23

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
Running in to say hi to everybody. Loretta, Hayhauler, Lainey, Anne, Ginny, Doris, Julie, Crazy Cat,Mary and all who follow.

Been a long day visiting back home with everyone. Dropped a birthday card off for my granddaughter, Carlie. Hard to believe she will be 18 Where does the time go?

Coffee? We both used to drink it by the potful, but over the years cut down. It just didn't taste as good. Now we drink instant mostly and only a few cups per day.
Can't stand Starbucks. It's far too bitter, but enjoy McDonald's and Dunkin Donut's real coffee.

Ice storm is heading in overnight, if the talking heads are correct. We will see.
Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr

As Jack Nicholson said in the Bucket List "Somewhere right now, some lucky B*st*rd is having a heart attack"
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/130.4/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Aaah! Not Cybil!
modon69478 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
Use to drink coffee here but due to medical problems no long have it.Did buy a small pot to make coffee for the Houston SO.Hated reheated coffee,would just throw out the leftovers.Being from a large farm family guess leftovers were never available and food was plentiful,DH came from a small family and his mom would cook specialized meals for each member,guess we are spoiled.lol
Nice day here the usual peaceful time.Oh how we love retirement.
BBT
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by modon69478 View Post
Aaah! Not Cybil!
That was a surprise! I'm also worried now about Bates and the scheming going on behind his back now. Oh I'm so addicted. LOL.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
I'm late weighing in...but I LOVE my keurig. I don't find the wait between cups long at all...I buy the sample coffees from Keurig online to see if I really like the coffee or not. I have just begun using my basket with my own coffee and it is really much more cost effective if that is an issue. But the Kcups are just SO tasty if you find the blend you like. I think the newer ones have even less wait between cups...and bigger cup sizes, too. The reservoir is the way to do it. I'm all for it.

Anne
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote