Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
Roll Call Thurs.1/24/13

Good Morning.
Did get most of a whole night sleep with my little pm's.
We are expecting spring like weather for the next week or so,sure has been nice the last couple of days.
Just the usual farm chores today.Made gumbo yesterday so will have that for DH today,he was very happy.I don't cook often so it's a treat.lol
Have a joyful day gang.
BBL
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cathyloves2camp
Good Morning, I'm new to this so bare with me. LOL What point in the program are you at and what's in your gumbo??? LOL Hit you right away with the questions. I'm not new to SB however, I'm just dumb. I allowed myself to yoyo not once but twice. I lost 42 lbs the first time around, felt and (dare I say) looked great. Then 2 years ago I lost 32 lbs...same. AND I VOWED I WOULD NEVER LET MYSELF GET BACK THERE. I recently quit smoking and just let myself eat to cover the need to smoke. WHY I didn't hop right back on SB at the same time is beyond me because now I need to lose the weight I gained back and then some. Sooooo, this is week 1, I just started Tuesday, but I've dropped 1.5 already! Any suggestions???????
CAT
cathyloves2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
Just sticking my foot in the door. Maggie has a fever this morning so won't be going to school...a long day for me..

Anne
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 174 1/2 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Summer foods- back to UP DAYS/DOWN DAYS Oct. 1, 13
Start Date: 8-3-2012 UD
Good morning (THANKS) Gladys and good morning to the rest.

Snow missed my little spot on the map. Another chance tomorrow but I would be supprised. It sure is extreme cold though.
Will check for a exp. date on that bag of golden flax seeds but I am pretty sure the flax seed (been fridged since I bought it) does not go bad. Was advised to not buy the oil- very fragile and also the meal does not last very long. Got a hounds nose here so will give it the smell test or just "when in doubt- throw it out" and concentrate on using up the quina and bulger in tabuleh which I love.
No plans today to speak of except the dark clothes are yet to be washed- did the lights yesterday.
Verleen, I will say no more after this last thought! Do not cross him in any way. So very much stress in moving has perhabs already begun to rattle him. You are not a defensless little puppy (even weak as you are) and this he knows. What is stress to us may well be terror to him. Please delete these post so there is no danger of him seeing them. Prayers for you, Cathy and all the little pets.
bbl

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Liblady
Stats: 108 lbs. 5'
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: May '11
Another chilly Florida morning, but that's ok, warming to the mid 70s later.

DH just left for his "blood" check, he's on Warfarin. Supposed to go each month but he goes only when he feels he should................hmmmm.

Anne, put in a bunch of videos for Maggie, would that work?

Cat, Can't help you with your type of eating, but if you've dropped 1.5 lbs in a few days, sounds good. Just make sure you can stick with it..........that's the hard part. I follow the Weight Watcher plan.

Going to see Lincoln today.
Ginny
Liblady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cathyloves2camp
Thanks Ginny! I actually started years ago with WW too, but stalled to the point where I STUMPED the leaders. LOL After losing 16 lbs and then stalling for 2 months, with absoluely NO CHEATING WHAT-SO-EVER (God's honest truth) I decided it was time to switch things up. I went onto SB and it did the trick, for me. Everyone's body responds differently, and I know so many sucessful stories with WW, but it just didn't work for me. I KNOW what I need to do, and find that it's helpful to chat with others who are on the same journey. I know in the past these interactions were very helpful...and FUN!
cathyloves2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ocali
Ginnie, I, too, went for blood work this a.m. when the temp was 36 degrees. Just for the usual check up findings.
Did I miss something regarding you getting another dog, Verleen? Do you now have two? And the 'feral' cat? I am lost....fill me in. Please, please, take care of YOURSELF! Are your daughters aware of all that goes on?
I just made a copy of my Living Will Declaration to bring to my doctors' office next week. I always forget. This was a new one I made out just following my DH's demise since, obviously, he would no longer be my surrogate. It is a form that Hospice gave out when I went for those couseling sessions. Covers lots of possibilities, etc. I want no heroic acts done for me.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
I'm just checking in, too.

Welcome, CAT, and read and read and read first, we can't possibly answer all your questions between our chit chat here, lol. Been doing all kinds of things on here for years. Takes you awhile to figure out what works for you, and it may not be anything you are doing now, point of fact.....hang in there.

Hoping things have calmed down for Verleen today.
Wishing those with illness well.

Back to the bike for my butt, and then quickie trip to the market.

Be careful out there, and Ginny, how far away are your doctor's there, is it a long drive for you, maybe that is why your dh doesn't like to go??

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #9

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Thanks for the start off, Gladys. Good to hear you got a better nights sleep for a change.

Yes, please do share your gumbo recipe.

Welcome to the group CAT. Wishing you the best. Quit smoking myself about 11 years ago but just grit my teeth and stayed on Atkins. Never did gain more than a lb. or two.

Lainey, great that the snow missed you. It missed us too, but keep your fingers crossed we don't get hit hard Friday.

Hi Doris, Julie, Ginny, Anne and all who follow.

Going to make myself get out and start the car since it's gone up to 10 degrees. Then do laps indoors someplace.
Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr

As Jack Nicholson said in the Bucket List "Somewhere right now, some lucky B*st*rd is having a heart attack"
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Liblady
Stats: 108 lbs. 5'
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: May '11
Doris, the hospital is only about 7 miles away. The problem is.............he doesn't like Dr.'s............going to them or paying them. Definitely doesn't like giving money to anything/anyone medical. Says they are all pretty much greedy, especially the drug companies. So there you have it. So far he's been lucky.
Ginny
Liblady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liblady View Post
Doris, the hospital is only about 7 miles away. The problem is.............he doesn't like Dr.'s............going to them or paying them. Definitely doesn't like giving money to anything/anyone medical. Says they are all pretty much greedy, especially the drug companies. So there you have it. So far he's been lucky.
Ginny
LOL Ginny, your DH is my DH's long lost twin.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/163.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
off to go brdwatching in British Columbia this morning, despite the rain. Ug....if too bad, I hope we see some from the car!
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Frozen solid bird baths again this morning....

I could see the tiny peck holes the birdies were making trying to get to the water what wasn't there underneath. Bird watchers delight when the ice was melted enough to remove and add fresh water. Seems lots of birdies did not go south... bluejay couples, cardinal couples and of course the little snow birds. Even a few of those noisy black birds and some sea gulls are coming inland to be seen. I only do water for them as the squrrils and birdys would be hounded by my girls Aaunt Jane and Ms. SuSun- think they are too old and fat to catch one but don't want to take the chance.
Welp, the dark wash is ready for the dryer and I want to shop a little before my hair wash at 2: very low on my Stevia In The Raw. Need hard candy for the ciggy craves- should have stocked up on the Christmas sales.
There were some pretty flurries for a little while this morning... I love that saying- BIG snow= LITTLE snow! LITTLE snow= BIG snow! These flurries were big flakes and tiny ones but the sun was out so no question it was flurries.
bbl
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Good morning all...and another sector heard from. Temp's here in the 70's and raining. This one's a sub-tropical flow coming up from the south so the temps are staying up. The next one that comes in Friday is an arctic one which will bring more rain and cold. Dang! what a time of year. I hear the midwest and east coast are getting slammed with the cold...and the lake effect in the north is also keeping our folks close to home. Stay warm all, it is still winter but it sounds as tho' the flu bug is lessening for you all...keep fighting!

Welcome, Cat. Stick around a while. As some have said, we are an eclectic group and most have their unique way of eating, not necessarily lc...but very supportive. I'm lc but discovered the JUDDD woe last year and am finally losing the umpteen pounds I allowed myself to put on when I quit smoking 18 years ago...I'm a slow learner. Have you checked out the Weight Loss Plans forum? There is one for SB and I'm sure they are very supportive for the woe as well. I really depend on my JUDDD BUDDDs on the JUDDD forum to help keep me on track. My buds here are for daily chats, there they give me the support for the woe. I hope you stick around a while, we have a lot of folks that check in one day and are gone the next....we're a friendly group and will give you lots of support.

I though I'd have a really good night's sleep last night what with the relief of finally getting a good report from the eye doc....but it was not to be. Up every few hours for a trip to the bathroom. I was lucky in that I went back to sleep very easily...so can't really complain. I'm trying to get off the tylenol pm as I've been taking it pretty much every night since my husband's demise last year (that anniversary is next week) and he, too, never visited the doctors unless I forced the issue. That's been part of my problem this month...I think so much of him in the ICU this time last year...part of the depression along with the SAD. Oh well, moving on.

Lainey, how you doing on the quitting smoking? Another thought for you...as you're such an animal lover...remember it's not good for Aaunt Jane and Miss SuSun...I know you wouldn't do anything to harm them. Keep it up, lady, you can do this, How's the cinnamon stick thingie working? That's one of the reasons I took up toothpicks again. Remember when we were kids and used to get cinnamon oil from the pharmacist to soak the wooden toothpicks? Or maybe that was just an Okie thing. I don't think my plastic toothpicks would absorb the oil...

Guess that's my ramble for this morning. Gotta decide if Wally World or Costco will get my 'script for the eyeglasses...last one I had glasses from Walmart and the sunglasses from Costco. I don't want to go to too much expense as who knows how much more my eyes will change in the next few months.

Have a good day folks, if you're lucky I'll not be so Chatty Cathy later...time for more eyedrops....sigh!

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Dang! totally forgot the cinnimon sticks. Going for the kitchen ones NOW!
Flurries are getting pretty thick. Best check the weather report right away.
bbl
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #16

Well, Mary, finally some warmth, but the Easterners are getting the cold we had now, in a miserable way, that's the way of the weather world though Linda, it's so good to be able to walk somewhere indoors and with toidy's handy, lol.

Ginny, I guess Linda's husband and mine would all be brothers, my dh still hates to do these doctor appts., but having a liver transplant does make him go, but I'm in charge of setting the appts., up and talking with the personell and all that stuff. Some doctor's said, if dh would have gone to the doctor sooner, his problem might not have gotten so bad, but that is water under the bridge now. dh always just thought he had "indegestion" for years.

Finally bought the much sought after Kale, found some, nice and fresh, for 1.99 at the local market, and they had a nice supply of it. Taste, well, doesn't taste like anything, but I'll just add it to my morning zucchini mix and it will be fine. Do any of you guys do Swiss Chard, that stuff with the red stems? Do you cook it the same way, saute' with oil and garlic? I want to try that one.

Begete, what a shame about the rain, but you might be surprised at what you can see from the car. Birds and Blooms always shows lots of nice pictures that people have taken from all sorts of odd places, unexpected places.

Many birds don't go south for the winter at all, we have several, besides the Bluejays, that stick around. All of the woodpeckers stay here, and 2 kinds of hawks, plus the eagles also stick around, they make nice nests in the woods.

Some people in town have fallen on the ice and broke bones, this weather change has made the ice slicker, and it's scary. You could hear the ambulence sirens while we were in the market in town.

Take care......
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, warmer is nicer...and that is the way the world turns...warm here, cold there. Be glad when winter is over...and there I go wishing my life away, again.

and yes, Doris, I use chard the same way as kale however somewhere in my memory is a recipe for chard that I really liked. Will look around and see if I can find it as it's been sometime since I had chard. My momma used to add a touch of vinegar to the greens, so that's the way I usually eat it. And now I hear that vinegar frees the nutrients in greens so the body can better assimilate it better.

Guess it's time for breakfast, so reaching for the greens and zucchini....
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

This is how I make gumbo,large pot,lots of water, some store bought roux,onion,garlic,salt,pepper,sausage.boil for ever then add chicken,cook long time as DH likes his meat very tender..I never measure anything,sometimes it comes out better than others.lol serve with white rice.Not on anyone's diet.I usually just eat the meat.Chicken was $1.29 a lb,never paid that much for a whole one before.
Have a good day.
BBL
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
Ginny...Maggie watched a few videos. She wanted to play so badly but just didn't feel it. We "fished" off the front porch for a while. The sun was so warm and she enjoyed it a lot. She is sleeping now. Poor heart.

Got a steak marinating for the grill tonight. I'll need it after this day!

Hang tough ya'll.
Anne
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #20

Gladys, was is the "file'" that they put in Gumbo, is that the spices or the thickener? My dh loves gumbo, but only orders it when we go to the south, or Ralph Brennan's or House of Blues down at Disneyland, lol. Do you put in your own spices that please your husband, or do you ever "buy" so called Cajun spices that they try to sell in stores? And, do you cook grits for your husband? Just asking, because you are a good cook and know what you are doing with southern food.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Verleen
Stats: 195/135/135
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 2004
Hi folks. Quick note, not feeling up to par today.

Julie, my youngest daughter brought the puppy up from Texas as a gift for Rich. So he now has a cat and a dog. I'm okay with it as long as he takes care of them. And he heard about it when he was too rough with the puppy. Gypsy, the cat, has been hearing about it too. She really attacks the puppy and I get after her. For some reason, she loves Molly but hates the puppy. Rich doesn't interfere. He says they have to work it out among themselves. I tell him the puppy is too young to work it out. So Gypsy is getting some punishment from me. Later she comes right to me to make up.

Cathy has already talked to Rich about some rules for the new house. And she and I have already talked a number of times about what to watch for and nip it in the bud. Rich is really excited about moving where he has the whole, large basement to himself. I am maybe the least excited about moving. Its seems like it is too much for me. I am getting more apprehensive as things move forward. Today there was much paper signing at the mortgage co, during which they locked in the interest rate. I don't know what comes next. I think the morgage co sends their appraiser to inspect the property.

Got to lay down again. The fever is wiping me out today.

Goals:
To live each day the best I can

195/135/135
Verleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Doug_H
Stats: 265/203/ Under 200
WOE: Low Carb/Keepin' it simple
Start Date: Oct 99
Verleen,
Doug_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ocali
Verleen, thanks for clearing up my confusion on the pets. I've got it now.
Seems as if the house purchase is moving along and you'll be in a new, lovely home before long. I'm sure that Cathy will take care of all the moving particulars; you just relax as best you can and let it be taken care of. I know....easy for me to say.

I thought I was fully recovered from whatever I've had all week, but I guess not. I am not feeling well at the moment. As one of my DGD used to say as a kid=="why me"?
ocali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Verleen, take care with that fever.

Tons of fluids!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gumbo? Gumbo? Did someone say gumbo? How soon can I get there? Gladys, of course, you would have roux in your markets. I never thought I hear that...my momma was the queen of roux and she taught me well. Which is a good thang 'cause there's no other way to get it here...and good gumbo just can't be found in any of the restaurants, not even Louisiana Seafood which I depend upon for catfish and po' boys...their oysters are to die for....well, maybe not that far. I have a good recipe for gumbo, actually Mahalia Jackson's that was published in the L.A. Times cookbook. Makes a lot, too much for just me, and takes all day so was a labor of love whenever I made it....sooo good.

Doris, I can't find the recipe for strawberry chard, dang it! Can't even remember from whom I stole it...BTW, you do know that you don't cook the stems of kale, don't you? Just strip the leaves from the stems to add to your dishes. That's the beauty of chard and some of the other greens, like mustard greens, you can eat the stems as they are so tender. Sometimes, I go ahead and strip the leaves, but cook the stems separate as they are so tasty and give the impression of a separate veggie. What my mother didn't introduce me to, my Thai and Korean friends have...and it's amazing what's out there that American's don't eat....we throw away some of the good things.

Too late, I've discovered I'm still rambling...oh well, if you've made it this far, you don't mind. Went out to check the cost of new glasses and I'm appalled again. Things are just going "higher than a cat's back" as momma used to say. (BTW, I guess I'm thinking of her a lot 'cause her birthday would have been the 21st) Not only are eyeglasses expensive, it will take a week to ten days to get them and the ones I'll get from the VA will be coming in two weeks, so can't see spending that much for such a little difference in time. Of course, I never received the glasses from the VA two years ago, so I guess we'll see.

defrosting some ribs that I cooked last September, so hope they're going to be okay...I'll figure out what else to go with them...sure wish I had some of that gumbo tho'. I guess I'll settle for some Healthy Choice canned gumbo tomorrow on my down day....I have some of the light which isn't too bad. It's not gumbo, but it's hot and a soup.

Guess that'll do for the ramblin' today. Hope you all had a good day, stayed warm and dry, and eluded the flu bug or got rid of it if it found it's way to your home....tomorrow is another day...thank goodness.

Last edited by Mssarge; 01-24-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

No file' here.DH is not to crazy for grits either.I just use salt,red/ black pepper,seldom the other stuff.DH is very picky,the other day I use bell peppers in something,he kept saying that something was not right.I finally told him it was bell pepper.He likes plain food.
BBT
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
BEE
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BEE
Stats: 217/155
Start Date: February 18, 2013
Roll Call Thurs 1/24/13

I am brand new here... maybe 15 min. ago. I am going to be doing Atkins as of
2/18. I originally lost 104 lbs on WW and my husband of 9 years died and I gained
33lbs. I moved from NY TO FL in 2007 and lost a few and now have 21 to go and then
to my goal of 155... I am now 217. BTW I was 55 and got married for the first time.
I have joined a few organizations and made new friends and am finally happy down
here.
BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/134.0/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Welcome, Bee! You will make good friends here and several from Florida, too!

Jump right in,

Michele
modon69478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #29

Welcome to our little group, BEE. Nice to have you on board.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #30

Welcome, BEE................start now, why wait?? Time's awastin'