LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tiffanim
Stats: 162/159/130
WOE: Moderate Carbs & Help Senior
Start Date: 1/5/13
Helping 65yo Type 2 diabetes Mom with Atkins

Bear with me, this is likely to be lengthy. My mom was recently diagnosed with Typed 2 diabetes and advised by doctor to go on Atkins, with the goal of losing 10 pounds (has she read the diet?!). She set an appointment for 3 months later. My personal experience with a modified Atkins was very positive, and I agreed to go back on it (having gained 35 pounds in the 3 years since I stopped - a little less than 1/2 of my total loss).

Mom is currently at a 9 pound loss on day 9 of modified induction (including nuts). While my own experience was similar, I was surprised to see her lose the weight so quickly (especially since she is not counting carbs, merely eating foods on the acceptable list). She can only afford another 25 pounds before becoming underweight! Two days ago I instructed her to add more higher carb veggies to her diet, and approved one slice of whole grain bread per day (her favorite!). She is also slightly high on cholesterol, so with the increase of eggs, I don't want to add fattier meats. She has not stopped or slowed losing, with a steady pound per day. Since she's 250 miles away, I've been unable to view her eating; but I am confident she's getting enough. She was very happy with my instructions to NEVER go hungry. There's always an easy and acceptable snack on the list!

If she doesn't slow the losing, when she returns from visiting family next week, we are going to set an immediate appointment with her doctor. In the mean time, I would like advice from other senior diabetics on the diet. How can I safely add non-sugary carbs to slow down her weight loss? She is also slightly high on cholesterol, so with the increase of eggs, I don't want to add fattier meats. I would love to see her at a 1.5 pound loss per week. You should know that I lost 75 pounds in 6 months when I was last on the diet (with regular "cheating"), so I have no doubt that reducing carbs works overly well with the family body type.

Any advice would be appreciated while we wait for the doctor's appt.
tiffanim is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
Why did her doctor not send her to a dietitian right away, so you are not her "food police" ?? What works for you doesn't necessarily have to go for her. Professional help would be a better bet, what we all do is not written in stone, and is not always even Atkins in the first place. Your mother needs to read up on everything, so she can make up her own mind about what she eats or wants to eat, it's going to be a long time to be thinking about what to eat, make sure she writes down what she likes and what works, it won't be the same as what you do or have done in the past.
Professional help is what helped my husband, don't be drawn into being your mother's food police for the rest of her life...........seriously. And don't overthink this whole thing.

You realize, don't you, it's not "just about the food".!
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #3

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Doris is correct. You should not be your mom's "food police". She is an adult and should listen to her doctor and read all she can about Atkins and type 2 diabetes.
Here is a good start:
Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - MayoClinic.com

If she does see a dietitian, keep in mind that the ADA is heavily funded by Pharmaceutical companies and does not want us healthy.

Atkins does work, but not many people can stay with it for life which is what a type 2 would have to do.

As for Cholesterol and the increase in eating eggs, just plain "bull puckey".

My husband and I have been on Atkins since the late 1990's and both of our blood lipid levels improved significantly.
The important components are the HDL and triglycerides. Not the total number.
Back in 1997, my HDL was 32 and my triglycerides up near 400. Now they are: HDL 146 and triglycerides: 42.
Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr

As Jack Nicholson said in the Bucket List "Somewhere right now, some lucky B*st*rd is having a heart attack"
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
she will slow her weight loss, don't worry about that! just enjoy it while it lasts. A 65 year old metabolism is not the same as yours when you lost so fast.

Last edited by ravenrose; 01-13-2013 at 02:29 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I am turning 65 yrs old in a month. My daughter and I both have different foodplans. Some things we can share and some we can't. I find it works for me when she supports & respects what I want to do with my plan but doesn't say to me, "Are you suppose to eat that?" It creates resentment. She wouldn't like it if I did that to her. I respect that she chooses to do a vegan program even though for the first 3 years, she didn't eat many vegetables, but lots of pasta and rice and beans and fats. Needless to say, she gained weight. About 4 months ago, she went to a new gym and met with a trainer who made suggestions, which she has followed and has lost much of what she gained. She saw me at my worst 12 years ago but she can't make me do any one thing to eat differently. If anything, the more she might try, the more I would dig in my heals. My mom and six of my brothers had Type 2 Diabetes and when I turned 50, my 55 yr old brother called me to say he had been diagnosed with Diabetes. He said to me that if I didn't do something, it would get me too. My blood sugars were around 107 then. That was 15 yrs ago. It took me two more years before I was led here by accident. I had to decide I didn't want to be like everyone else in my family. I can tell you my blood sugars have been under 90 for the last 10-11 yrs. there is no Type 2 for me so long as I stay away from alcohol, sugars and grains. Hope this helps in some way!

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-13-2013 at 06:26 PM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pealark
WOE: Dr. Hyman, Blood Sugar Solution
FWIW, I've been on most of the low carb plans, but Atkins with full fat meat, butter, cheese etc is the one that gives me the best blood lipid, blood sugar profile. But as someone else said, it is hard to stick with for any length of time.

The instant I start to go "low fat", and add in fruit, &/or moderately high glycemic index veggies, both numbers start to climb. The government nutritionists are lying. They've told us exactly the wrong fats to consume. Animal fats from organic or at least non GMO, non hormone fed animals are what our ancestors consumed for millennia. It is what we adapted to, and other plans do not work in our favor, for many of us.

I come from an NorthEastern European background, I've heard the people from the Mediterranean can more successfully eat grains than we northern climes can. It makes sense. I only know what the tests reveal. Who knows? Maybe the correlation between blood lipid profiles isn't really indicative of heart health either. They've lied about everything else, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: motsy
I agree about the eggs and fatty meats. When I was doing a modified atkins, my cholesterol was 165, when I added low fat, breads, etc. it climbed to over 200- also eating all the fat, meat and eggs (along with low carb veggies) caused my triglycerides to plummet...- I just don't believe that fats hurt my lipid levels, have only improved with dropping the refined sugar and flours.
motsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
Notice the person who started this has not returned...........this happens alot on here. Makes you wonder....................
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
You're right, Doris. One post. What does it mean?
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #10

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
You're right, Doris. One post. What does it mean?
Happens more times than I can count on these boards.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote