Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Golden Years (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/)
-   -   OT: 'Over Fifty'? What are you reading? 3/12 - ? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/golden-years/760598-ot-over-fifty-what-you-reading-3-12-a.html)

jezzie 03-02-2012 07:40 AM

OT: 'Over Fifty'? What are you reading? 3/12 - ?

http://i41.tinypic.com/30djvd4.gif
http://i2.tinypic.com/20034ah.jpg ..... What are you reading now?

Red Hook Road, by Ayelet Waldman
Set on the coast of Maine over the course of four summers, Red Hook Road
tells the story of two families, the Tetherlys and the Copakens, and of the
ways in which their lives are unraveled and stitched together by misfortune,
by good intentions and failure, and by love and calamity.

As she writes with obvious affection for these unforgettable characters,
Ayelet Waldman skillfully interweaves life’s finer pleasures—music and
literature—with the more mundane joys of living.

Within these resonant pages, a vase filled with wildflowers or a cold beer on
a hot summer day serve as constant reminders that it’s often the little things
that make life so precious.

Liblady 03-02-2012 11:43 AM

Jezzie, I'm still doing Christopher Hitchens, God is not Great. I love it. I like that he has such a sense of humor and is SO wise.
Ginny

tatehouse 03-02-2012 01:10 PM

I am reading a little book called Tickled to Death by Joan Hess. I like her series and somehow missed this one.. so I'm catching up so I can get her latest...so far it is very good...

jezzie 03-03-2012 05:35 AM

< Bump > :D

Loretta V 03-03-2012 08:28 AM

Reading Empire Falls, Richard Russo

Listening to Holiday in Death, JD Robb.

dewdrop_mealine 03-04-2012 08:08 AM

Steve Jobs

I'm reading the Steve Jobs bio by Walter Isaacson and also "Where Angels Tread" Leslie Rule. I am easily distracted. :laugh: ~ dew

That Girl 03-04-2012 07:21 PM

The Dry Grass of Summer, by Anna Jean Mayhew....very much like the book THE HELP, its a very good read, quick and really makes you feel for the characters.

Tricia 03-05-2012 10:30 AM

Grace Livington Hill

I am reading Grace L Hill Christian fiction romance, all written in the early 1900,s. Fabulous page turners!
:)

Chris 232 03-06-2012 12:41 PM

I'm reading the bible, NIV version. I have never read the whole thing in my 60 + years, and want to finish it before I die-also doing an online commentary to help me understand it. I try to do a chapter a day, in total it will take over 5 years.

Shalbrihil 03-06-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris 232 (Post 15471560)
I'm reading the bible, NIV version. I have never read the whole thing in my 60 + years, and want to finish it before I die-also doing an online commentary to help me understand it. I try to do a chapter a day, in total it will take over 5 years.

Funny you mentioned this as I found a great site that gives you scriptures daily so at the end of the year you finish the whole Bible. Now I'm doing that too.

On my kindle I'm reading It's a Dunder-Bull Wife by Karen Cantwell. I just love the way she writes. Her books are very entertaining. Never stop reading :heart:

LoveMontana 03-09-2012 09:38 AM

In the President's Secret Service by Ronald Kessler. OMG!! Some of our presidents were not at all nice.:eek: ROFLOL especially Johnson.

BeachyWoman 03-09-2012 09:43 AM

The Girl who Played with Fire. Its better so far than the tattoo one.

tatehouse 03-10-2012 07:29 AM

No Game for a Dame by M. Ruth Myers.

About a female Private Detective in the 1930. Written in the 30's venacular. Very fun...so far.

Anne

jezzie 03-10-2012 07:56 AM

Anne, Sharon, Loretta, Ginny, etc. etc.

Please keep them coming for me. :heart:

Loretta V 03-10-2012 11:59 AM

Listening to Nora Roberts TRIBUTE

Reading on the kindle, LOOSE ENDS A Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery Book 1
(cute ghost mystery)

Liblady 03-13-2012 09:19 AM

Ordered Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks from Amazon. About the first Native American Indian to attend Harvard in 1665. Sounds like a Jezzie book to me. I'm anxious to get started.
Ginny

Shalbrihil 03-13-2012 11:20 AM

I just put Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See on my Kindle. Looking forward to starting it as soon as I finish It's a Dunder-Dull Wife by Karen Cantwell. Have you read that one Jezzie? Sounds real good.

That Girl 03-14-2012 05:44 PM

Just started Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, great read!

tatehouse 03-14-2012 08:29 PM

Our book club met tonight. We chose the book called The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise for this months book. I will let you know how I like it but it sounds like fun.

Loretta V 03-17-2012 10:01 AM

Trying to keep Jezzie's book thread going.

Listening to Escape, Barbara Delinsky
Reading on Kindle THE SURRENDERED Chang-rae-Lee

tatehouse 03-18-2012 07:55 AM

I'm reading a light mystery called Uncommon Grounds by Sandra Balzo.

Loretta V 03-19-2012 07:31 AM

Having the Kindle is driving me crazy with reading. I don't have time to be reading and the problem my library loans expire and I haven't finished a book. Then I have to get in line again to get the book. Too cheap to BUY a book.

Liblady 03-20-2012 10:28 AM

Finished Caleb's Crossing, excellent. Caleb is an Native American Indian befriended by a preacher's daughter. He ends up graduating from Harvard. The story is of him crossing over from one culture to another. (maybe) Based on fact.

Just started The Hunger Wars by Suzanne Collins, whoa..........another good one. Movie comes out next month I think.
Ginny

SuSUN 03-20-2012 03:40 PM

I just got, "Pensionize Your Nest Egg," today so will be starting that soon.
I need to learn about all this stuff...wish me luck.

Loretta V 03-23-2012 07:21 PM

Listening to JDROBB Kindred in Death.

Mssarge 03-23-2012 08:42 PM

Just finished book one and two of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins....very interesting and she's an excellent author. The books are very thought provoking. I, too, am Kindle bound and have too much to read as I keep picking up the freebies.I started the Samantha Moon series by J.R. Rain. Interesting setup as it's about a female detective who's a vampire, recently turned who has to cope with children and a husband who is not enthralled with his wife.

Also reading DT (dead tree) books dealing with Probating an estate and The New Atkins for a New You. I, too, am easily distracted. I read. on the average, two or three books a week and have nonfiction stuff that I dip into and out of.

M

Loretta V 03-28-2012 02:36 PM

Listening to INVISIBLE WALL by Harry Bernstein and John Lee Pre WWII story about Jewish and Christian families living close to one another.

Reading on Kindle THE CREED LEGACY by Linda Lael Miller (light romance)

BABYSTEPS 04-03-2012 09:07 AM

I'm reading Guilty Wives by James Patterson and next is Betrayal by Danielle Steele.I like new books that I can read in 1 day.Next is The Diet Cure by Julia Ross that I missed when it came out.

Loretta V 04-03-2012 05:39 PM

Finished the Invisible Wall audio book and now listerning to Looks to Die For, Janice Kaplan.

Reading on Kindle Richard Russo's Empire Falls. Maybe I'll get it finished this second time around.

Tilly 04-05-2012 07:47 PM

Mind if I join in? I read daily. Just finished David Baldacci "Split Second". Love the murder mystery types. Not sure why. I would NOT want to watch the movie of these things, people dead, shootings, tortures, etc. but find the intrigue behind all of it facinating. Onward to Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game by Dan Berry. Completely out of what I normally read, but then I need different types. Not sure if I am going to like this one. (also reading Organic Lawn Care, ha ha!)