Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Amen...love Sue Grafton's writing style and even love the way Kinsey is stuck in the '80's. I'm still wading through Evanovich's number books...on Lean Mean Thirteen. but intending to return to Grafton's books.
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #242
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/119/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Just finished a Nicholas Sparks book and am listening to ONE TUESDAY MORNING by Karen Kingsberry. The book is about the aftermath of 9-11 for a firefighter. Good book.
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #243
CF1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CF1
Stats: 216/195/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/15/13
Just finished 'What you want is in the limo'. It tracks 3 bands in 1973 and how they formed the rock star mythos going forward. I'm currently reading 'God save The Kinks', a biography on the band The Kinks.
CF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds good (for this ol' Army DJ) will have to check 'em out. Thanks for typing in.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #245
CF1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CF1
Stats: 216/195/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/15/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
Sounds good (for this ol' Army DJ) will have to check 'em out. Thanks for typing in.
You're welcome! I remember buying two of the 3 albums discussed in the book as new releases! I guess I'm gettin old! lol
CF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
I'm reading "F" for fugitive now by Sue Grafton. It's so funny reading a book with your home town as part of the plot. Hahaha!
Shalbrihil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes it is sharon...I really like it when fiction has nothing to do with reality. Example in the movie, CON AIR...when the plane is crashing in Las Vegas, the scenery is of five different streets, some running north/south, others running east/west.

I hope Ms Grafton got the scenery correct in the book...
Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

She's not all that far off. She was right on with my High School.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Anyone get anything interesting as a Christmas present???? from someone else or did you pick it up? Or did you present someone else with a good one????

I've ordered a couple of books for the four-year old as her mother wants to see if a story book can hold her interest...I've ordered online Alice in Wonderland and Through the looking glass. My two favorites when I was a little girl and I've also ordered one the fairytale books, can't remember which one. I also picked up a couple of paperbacks from the cheapie bookstore, Alphabet City Ballet(she loves to wear her tutu) Gullivers' Travels and a bio Clara Barton and the American Red Cross. I know, I know, probably too advanced for a four-year old, but I can hope, can't I.

I also picked up a couple of books for the older kids I hope they like....a Sue Grafton mystery for the girl and a Johnathan Kellerman for the boy (hope he remembers seeing the movie.)

I've been working my way through a couple of technical books trying to learn more stuff about my new job with the Family History Center, catching up also on some of the scriptures, and in my free time, finishing my last Janet Evanovich's number mysteries. Not having much luck in finding freebies for the Kindle, so not recommending anything right now.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Old 12-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm still reading Sue Grafton. I'm on J for Judgement now. Love her mysteries.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, studying so many things right now, not having much time for settling down with a good book for relaxation, but my before-bed reading is a J.A. Jance, J.P. Beaumont mystery...Kindle special a bit ago. Love Jance's writing, particularly her series on Sheriff Brady (female) in southern Arizona...good reading, if you haven't been introduced to Jance's work.

However still picking up freebies on the A website and found a couple of interesting ones this morning..."Some Wore Blue Some Wore Gray" by Heather Graham...although she says she's not a historian, has written several historical books that are well researched. This one is of course on the War Between the States, and she includes the fictional Scarlet O'Hara as an example of the times...interesting concept.

The other one that's a freebie today is "101 Top Herbs" by Stephanie Stuart...a very clear guide for using herbs and what each may be used for...with a strong caveat of their uses.

A reminder for folks who don't have the Amazon Kindle or other e-books...Amazon has free apps for p.c., tablets, and smart phones so that you can download books, free or otherwise. Check out the Kindle store on Amazon for their uses. I know most of us goldens prefer books (we call them dead tree books) but the e-books have a lot of very good uses; one of which is the ability to increase print size for those of us having those kind of problems.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 35down
Stats: 209/156/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Hi Mssarge! I am technology illiterate but was given an iPad for Mother's Day last year. Just wondered yesterday if it was possible to read books on it. Will be asking daughter to show me how to make that happen.

For Christmas, I gave my daughter a book by Glenn Beck that the name escapes me now, but about a sweater and included a pretty cardigan for her. For my son-in-law, I gave him a seasonal six pack of beer and a book called AIN'T THE BEER COLD. Told them it was the theme that counted, not content, since I hadn't read either book and hoped there was nothing in them that they might take the wrong way.

I was at my husbands's third grade classroom yesterday and picked up the first book of the An American Girl series called MEET KIRSTEN and brought it home to finish. Just a cute, little young fun read.

Congrats on your Family History Center job. It sounds like a perfect fit for you and fun, too.

35 down
Joni
35down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

To all our friends who want to share their thoughts on the books they read, we've started a new thread...same title, just with a "2" added. Some of our friends thought this thread was getting cumbersome...so thus the new thread.

Joni, I''m sure you'll be able to find the apps to turn your ipad into an e-reader...very simple, really, just go to the Amazon Kindle website (I'm sure there are other apps available, I'm just familiar with the Kindle ones.) where you can download the application and begin reading almost immediately. Thanks for the kind thoughts on my Family History calling.

So, will see you all over on the "OT:Over fifty" what are you reading now?
OT: "Over Fifty" What are you reading? 2

Last edited by Mssarge; 01-05-2014 at 03:51 PM..