LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #211
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/116.5/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Listening to There's Something in St. Tropaz by Elizabeth Adler

Reading, Quest for the LIVING GOD by Elizabeth Johnson.
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Just finished listening "Grayson Manor Haunting" by Cheryl Bradshaw and "Encrypted" by Carolyn McCray. I used the Kindle speech feature. Worked nice.
Shalbrihil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #213
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
I'm back to reading Konrath's Jack Daniels mysteries...picked up a couple on the Kindle freebies. But finished a very interesting book on a celestial being imposed with helping a woman fulfill her destiny who is being chased by an apostate (read demon). It was very well written and made for a different type of story...Lightbringer; A Celestial Affairs Novel by Frankie Robertson. Enjoyed it so much I'll probably search out his/her other books.
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Msevon2
Lots of good books to read. I have been on vacation so I am on the 4th one this week. The one I am reading now is From a Distance: Timber Ridge Reflections by Tamera Alexander. It takes place in the mountans of Colorado. The 1 I just finished was Heart of
Texas: Volume 1 by Debbie Macomber. I really liked that one. It was a double love story.
Msevon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #215

Gallery: LindaJ
Stats: 172/160/140 5'7" age 65
WOE: Stuff what's good for me
Start Date: August 2000
I just finished "Stubborn Twig" ... story of a Japanese immigrant family who became quite successful in farming in Oregon ... then how their lives were turned upside down by WWII. Audiobook.

Now I'm listening to "The Other Wes Moore".
LindaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #216

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/116.5/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Reading on Kindle Dear Emily, Fern Michaels
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting freebie for Kindle today

An interesting take on combining history of the Civil War and recipes of the 19th century...and it's free today for Kindle. History Lover's Cookbook by Roxe Anne Peacock.

Just finished J.A.Jance's Hand of Evil...love the way she writes and, of course, her descriptive writing of Arizona...this one takes place in and around of Sedona.

Picked up the hard copy of Rue McClanahan's My First Five Husbands and the ones that got away. Eyes are such I can read dt books now and sometimes you just have to pick up good stuff at the second had store.

Hope you're reading a bit, too.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #218
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
?dt book?

Busy, busy but the cool is not all that cool but lots better than the has been. No rain till next sat. seems a very long time since rain.
Time to call it a night.
bbt.
Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just finished Three Thousand Miles for a Wish. It was about a girl and her family attending a Hajj quest. author is Safiya Hussain
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #220

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk Mermaid View Post
Busy, busy but the cool is not all that cool but lots better than the has been. No rain till next sat. seems a very long time since rain.
Time to call it a night.
bbt.
Psst, LAINEY, think you posted here rather than the daily roll call by mistake.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #221
Blabbermouth!!!

erps, so solly. starting to doubt my sanity these days.
Thanks for heads up... don't think I was missed over there though.
l.

OH, itching to get back to readin some books this winter but ONLY at night (bed time) .

Last edited by Norfolk Mermaid; 09-16-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey y'all...another freebie today for the Kindle...Low Carb Recipes by Katy Blanchard. Some interesting new recipes for the low carb lifestyle. Although I love the ratatouille recipe in the Rosedale recipe thread, she has a bit different take that sounds really good so will have to try it as I have a small eggplant and some zukes resting in the fridge.

My entertaining reading has been to get most of the Kinsey Millhone alphabet mysteries. Amazon had a sale on the early Sue Grafton novels, so I loaded up...now I'm set for the winter althought I'm already on book three, C is for Corpse.

What eclectic tastes in reading I have....you wouldn't believe what's in my Kindle library, let alone on the shelves.

Hope you're reading something interesting but still getting out and about.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My kindle is loaded too. Mostly free stuff. I get a BB newsletter daily and end up with free ones from there. I've found some really good recipe books on there and love the Low Carb and Paleo ones.

Right now I'm doing a daily bible read on mine Kindle. (Passages) Sometimes I use the speech to listen instead of text. The voice is mechanical but works ok for a once in a while thing.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Sharon, I didn't know my Kindle could hold so many books....I've got it stuffed with mostly free stuff. I subscribe to Steven Windwalker's blog and he lists the freebie stuff and I check it twice daily....most of the time it's not stuff I want but then a day will come along and I'll load up the cloud. I only transfer stuff to the Kindle that I want to read, the rest I'll peruse on the 'puter app.

So glad I bought the Kindle...never tried the voice reader, but love the ability to change the size of the fonts. I'm sure I'll use the voicer but just love to read too much.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #225
Blabbermouth!!!

Let's list our TOP 10 best reads ever (not in order)...

"I' ll start.
The Bible
Gone With The Wind
The Life Of PI
Blue Latitudes
Giant
The Simple Life
WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES (every female from 14 on must read) .
Amy Vanderbilt's cook book- the first and maybe only one she wrote.
Penmaric
All the fairy tales!
Every poetry book you can get your hands on!
(I read every last book in the Nobel Prize huge set of every winner for literature) . Very big undertaking but so very worth it and I might try again. Found out that the Germans are the closest to us when translating their works) .

Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great idea, Lainey...I'll have to think about what I consider the best books I've read...hmm, quite a challenge. For now, I'm still working my way through Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries...up to E. Also reading at the stuff I pick up from the Kindle freebies, but just perusing them to see if I want to sit down later with em.

For now for my list of the best books...hmm, yep, the Bible, The Book of Mormon, the Torah and the Koran, anything by Robert Heinlein, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey. and Mercedes Lackey (I guess you can see I'm hooked on Fantasy). So I'll have to take some time to decide on ten favorites...
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #227
Blabbermouth!!!

Me too Mary, thought it would be easy but......

Read The Book Of Mormon; The Torah; Tao and Budda. Never looked for the Koran but have read much on Mohammed though. Add SunSu's book The Art Of War and Attila the Hun "Leadership". OMG, how could I not add "The Prince"- Mackyavalie (sheesh murdered that spellin but bet you know who I mean)
e.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep Lainey, if I tried to spell his name, I'd mess up pretty badly myself...after thinking some of the day I came up a list of books that have influenced me over the years, those that I've read numerous time and will continue to read. It's hard to stop at just ten books and I'm sure they would change as I remember other books that have influenced me.

I'm hoping that in my list I can do some "lumping." Several authors have published more than one book and when I find an author I like, I can't stop until I've read them all. So, for now, here's my list of the most influential books I've read...(this reminds me of an exercise we did at work where we listed the most memorable moments in movies). Again, not in any order of preference...I couldn't do that to any author.

The complete works of William Shakespeare (a lover and I used to read the sonnets to each other)
All of the religious books I've mentioned before; The Bible, The book of Mormon, the Torah and the Koran, but also the less popular ones, The Art of War, the I Ching and even into the Wiccan works
Arthur Conan Doyle's works of Sherlock Holmes (wore out a couple of books reading them.
Up Front by Bill Mauldin, first time I read it was during the war and re-read it through high school...DH once bought a copy for an anniversary for me.
Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cooking...still got the books, smudged and full of notes from 1962
Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Lord Books...what can I say, I loved Pern and wanted to live there.
Robert Heinlein's books, all of 'em, but particularly Stranger in a Strange Land, do ya Grok?
Hard to pick one of Leon Uris's favorite but would probably go with Exodus and same thing with James Michener's, but The Source stands out
and combining the tenth source between Thor Heyerdahl's Kon Tiki and Devere Baker's The Raft Lehi IV because they're the same subject, tho' different oceans.

That's what I can come up with for today, but I'm sure tomorrow's wouldn't change too much except I'd remember another author that made a difference in my life...and then another author until the list numbered in the hundreds...I've been an avid reader all my life. Heck I remember reading the newspaper when I was five and six years old.

Last edited by Mssarge; 10-08-2013 at 04:30 PM..
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #229
Blabbermouth!!!

OMG Mary- sure started something with us... HOW could I forget F. Scott Fitzg- lordy, I cannot spell today- I dearly loved "Tender Is The Night". Got into Shakespere for a couple of years even reading his plays. OH YES and Tom Wolfe- the white suit one- excellent one "A Man In Full".
YEP! I started young also with Mom reading to us ever since I could remember. Remember trading comic books? I used to win all the marbles games and trade them for comic books.
Sure wish we could sit and have coffee and really get into our thousands of books we have read.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #230
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: onewitchywoman
I real all the Mitford series and totally loved them and became part of that wonderful world. I even have the cook book.
onewitchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #231
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: onewitchywoman
50 Shades of Gray I read one right after the other on a day I was scheduled for several hospital tests that required waiting between them. I was enthralled, totally. Page after page, I could not wait to see what happened. Written to pull the reader into that world.
Lots of s&m and B&d (think that is what you call it) but I did not consider it a "dirty" book. It just had a real flavor of real life mixed with the right amount of consent.It was almost like evesdropping on a private life.It was a definite page turner and I enjoyed every second. Couldn't turn those pages fast enough. Was a real binge read for me.
onewitchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm going to try this one more time...I've written two posts that have disappered into limbo.

I loved the 50 Shades and looking forward to the movie which they are now casting. Wonder how they'll handle some of the scenes....hmmm?

Still reading Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed them and her descriptions of real and imaginary SoCal. Just in case you didn't know it, there is no Santa Teresa.

Still checking daily Windwalker's blog and loading the Kindle library with freebies....getting a lot of books on intermittent fasting, travel, and other interests. I load them onto the 'puter app so I can review 'em to see if I want to transfer to the Kindle which probably has almost a thousand books on it...never thought it would hold so much.

p.s. Yea!!! it posted this time.

What are you reading?

Last edited by Mssarge; 10-17-2013 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: add p.s.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm still downloading into my kindle. BookBub is where I find the free books. Just can't resist that word free. I read my passages each day then head for one of my kindle apps and start something new. I have one app for each. A laptop and regular size computer. There are so many I haven't started yet. Mostly collecting cookbooks about Paleo recipes and recipes for using almond flour. Just starting Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Old 10-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liblady View Post
Just started The Hunger Wars by Suzanne Collins, whoa..........another good one. Movie comes out next month I think.
Ginny
Are you talking about Catching Fire? It's the second in the series that Suzanne Collins. I've read all 3 and am waiting for the movie to get here.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another interesting freebie for Kindle today

Read all the Hunger games books to see what all the excitement was about and truly enjoyed them all. I'm really glad authors are writing to capture the imagination of our youth...one of my main complaints a number of years ago to my SIL who was a school teacher (many years ago) and she immediately set me straight.

Finished my collection of the Sue Grafton alphabet mystieris, ending at "O" and since it's a perfect day to snuggle up with the fur kid and a good book, I'm starting my recent collection of Evanovich's number series...light fluff to pass the time. I'm still perusing the bible and the Book of Mormon as I'm re-introducing myself to the church.

However, I check Amazon and the Kindle Nation blog for freebies every morning, check 'em out as I add stuff to my library and found a good one today that may interest some of my LCF...Kick Your Fat in the Nuts by T.C. Hale. Another interesting book on the woe. He, at least, recognizes that one diet does not fit all...and he's not an x-spurt but has studied with some. Here's a quote I particularly liked on what kind of food to eat....

"When I say real food, I mean food that grew out of the ground or fell off of a tree that grew out of the ground or came from an animal that p##d on the tree while it was standing on the ground.* (The hatchmarks are mine to protect the innocent.)

This book is free today to download for the Kindle (or at least it was when I got it this morning.)

Whatcha reading now???? or are you too busy preparing for the holidays to read?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Mary. Love you reviews on what to reads. So far I've started the Sue Grafton books now too. I'm on C now and know I'll be getting more of them as I'm really liking Kinsey. She has guts and spunk.

My daily read is Brian Hardin's Passages and The Voice along with the Bible. Those start my day's off.

Now I'm heading over to check out Kick Your Fat….
Thanks Mary for keeping this Thread going.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought I'd drop this in..will explain in a moment. Between Sue Grafton's alphabet soup and Evanovich's numbers games, I read another mystery by David Baldacci, Split Second. Don't know if you saw 'em or even heard about 'em, but last Summer on either USA or TNT was a mystery series entitled, King and Maxwell, about two discredited secret service agents solving crimes, of course, they vindicated themselves. Well, this was the book that introduced the characters...I love Baldacci's works, particularly his earlier books which were written about a couple of other tecs.

Thought I'd include this note as I just saw his latest work advertised on TV...King and Maxwell.

If you like mysteries/thrillers (that are not hair-raising), and are unfamiliar with David Baldacci, you might check out some of his stuff...he writes very well.

Last edited by Mssarge; 11-19-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Old 11-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Everyone's been so busy with the holidays, no one but me has time for reading I suppose. That's okay as I seem to read enough for everyone anyway; at least that's what my mom and late husband used to say, my nose was always in a book was the other saying.

Reading a very interesting book by Bill O'Reilly, the newscaster. Don't care that much for his casts, but he has a clear writing style and sticks to the historical events from a reporter's view which makes it very good. He's written Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy and his latest, Killing Jesus. I liked the first two but the third is fascinating; it was offered recently at a very low price for the Kindle and may still be reduced for all I know.

This is not written as a religious book, just re-written from the scriptures, but written as a history, putting everything into perspective and explaining how it all came together. Highly recommended if you like history.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doh!!! finally thought of the phrase I meant on The Killing of Jesus...takes scriptures and puts them into a historical base backed by other documents.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm still reading Sue Grafton. I'm in D for Deadbeat. I can see it now. I'll be getting them all right down the line. They are a great read. Like her sense of humor.