LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Hey Guys, there's a freebie on Kindle that looks very interesting

It's Live from the Road link is below...about two women who visited a friend in the hospital and as they're leaving, they ask, "Is that all there is to life?" So they hit the Mother Road (Route 66) with their two daughters to find out if it is....sounds very good, I hope it's as good as it sounds...mary

Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Thanks Mary...wonder if it's like Thelma and Louise? Remember that movie? How do you know where to find the free ones? Do you get notified by email?
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I subscribe to Stephen Windwalker's blog....you can get it free for a couple of weeks, check out the blogs on the Kindle store. He has a few blogs, one is the Free Kindle one. I get it on the Kindle but it's also on my pc...

I also check out the Kindle e-books in the Kindle store. If you look on the right side of the page there is a link to the top 100 books in both pay and free....I review it every couple of days as it's updated every few hours and a few days usually gives it a chance to change...although I have very eclectic tastes in reading, I'm also a cheapie.

m
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Mary, I'll be sure to check out those blogs. I like the free part too
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
My daughter recommended this, she couldn't put it down and now neither can i...

...Before i go to sleep by S. J. Watson

The description starts off by saying "imagine drifting off every night knowing that your memories will be wiped away by morning. That's the fate of Christine Lucas, whose bewildering internal world is rendered with chilling intimacy in this debut literary thriller"

Off to sit in the sun and read some more now...
FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: perrysmom
WOE: general lc
Start Date: 11/8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyWren View Post
My daughter recommended this, she couldn't put it down and now neither can i...

...Before i go to sleep by S. J. Watson

The description starts off by saying "imagine drifting off every night knowing that your memories will be wiped away by morning. That's the fate of Christine Lucas, whose bewildering internal world is rendered with chilling intimacy in this debut literary thriller"

Off to sit in the sun and read some more now...
This book sounds great. I love futuristic and EOW fiction. Thanks for mentioning it.
perrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
ditto Perry's Mom
by the way I love that birdie! so very pretty.
elaine
Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanCA
Stats: 146/139/134.2 - 5'3", small frame, 60yrs
WOE: Inspired by Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat..."
Hi, I'm new here and my name is Jan. I'm reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It's nonfiction story about a woman in the early 50's who died of cervical cancer. Her cells were taken without the family's knowledge, as was common at the time, and went on to help cure polio as well as play a big part in many successful drugs and other diseases. The story tells not only about HeLa cells, but how the family coped with knowledge when they found out.
JanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #99
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/118.5/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Listening to JD Robb and Ceremony in Death

Reading The One You Love Paul Pilkington a free kindle book.
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote from Windwalker's Kindle Nation Daily 7/27/12

"RIP Nora Ephron 1941-2012

She passed away in New York after a long battle with leukemia. These lines from her book I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman could serve as a credo for most of us in Kindle Nation:

“Reading is everything. Reading makes me feel like I've accomplished something, learned something, become a better person. Reading makes me smarter. Reading gives me something to talk about later on. Reading is the unbelievably healthy way my attention deficit disorder medicates itself. Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real. Reading is grist. Reading is bliss.”

Amen to every word, and thanks, Nora."

Loved her work and am going to check out the books she wrote...mary

Last edited by Mssarge; 06-27-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #101

Finished LETHAL a Sandra Brown mystery on audio book. It was really good.

I plan on looking for some of Nora Ephron's books.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just finished Prime of Life by P. D. Bekendam. Just starting The Red House by Mark Haddon. I also went through The Diet Cure to better educate myself on treating imbalance metabolism by Julia Ross, M.A. I love my Kindle. It's been really getting a workout lately.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

I just finished a very old EOW book called The Last Day by Helen Clarkson. It was very good. Even though written in the late 50s, the author's attitudes toward politics and women were quite modern.

My husband just read Whiteout by Ken Follett and passed it on to me.

We're going to the used book store later and I hope to find some of the ones y'all have read and liked. Have a great day!

pm
Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My goodness, it's been so long since I've posted what I'm reading and there is no way I could remember everything...I'm still wading through Wheat Belly and The No Carb Revolution...studying more than reading...both very good ideas about this WOE. I finished Dr. Johnson's The Alternate Day Diet...good work, great idea but a disappointing read as he doesn't give enough information. The JUDDD BUDDD's here on LCF have been much more helpful.

I've read a lot a "fluff" mysteries, romances, and cookbooks and have been reviewing the South Beach Diet plans as I'm considering using that WOE on my up days while continuing JUDDD, it's much more compatible with the alternate day intermittent fasting WOE.

Anyway, in anticipation of today's release of James Lee Burke's new book, Creole Belle, I re-read his last Dave Robicheaux novel, The Glass Rainbow, in which I thought he had killed Dave off. So this afternoon, after the chores were done, I sat down and started it....thank goodness for the Kindle, as it was there this morning on it's day of release. If you've never read any of Burke's novels (he has three separate series he's written) then you're not familiar with his style of writing which is one of the most poetic of prose writers. His use of the English language is remarkable and he opens the door to thoughts you never knew you had...for example, his ruminations about the beauty of the Louisiana coast and the devastation of New Orleans after Katrina and the oil disaster are pure poetry...he is an author who loves language.

I know all y'all are still reading, what's on your nightstand?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TurnNBurn
All Kindle freebies ... just finished Fiction Ruined My Family, Why Not Say What Happened and Gypsy Moon.
I'm into the memoirs for some reason; these were all good.
Now I'm reading The Kindness of strangers about a guy who hitchikes across America without a cent to his name.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for posting the link for Kindle for PC! I didn't realize it existed, so now I can read while I knit. I downloaded Letters of a Woman Homesteader, which is very interesting. Other than that, I've been re-reading Nothing Special, Living Zen.

pm
Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
Currently reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer who wrote the Twilight series, this book is totally different from the Twilight books.

This is a sci-fi read and to quote the blurb: "Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. Wanderer, the invading 'soul' who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love."

I'm thoroughly enjoying the book, though i've found it a bit of an emotional roller coaster to read - only half way through but have lost count of the times i've had to reach for the tissues! MY DH thinks i'm nuts - it's probably just my hormones!

I've also read Wheat Belly since the last time i posted, after seeing it mentioned on this thread - a real eye opener and i've now ditched wheat - it was definitely aggravating my ulcerative colitis - no sign of symptoms since ditching the wheat! Amazing!

FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #108

Finished audio book, 44 CHARLES STREET, Daniell Steel. a very good fiction. Now onto another JD ROBB, book #6.

Reading on Kindle Bittersweet Rain by Sandra Brown. I read it before but got interested again and want to see it to the end.

Perry's Mom, how do you knit and read? I can only listen to audio books while I crochet.

Last edited by Loretta V; 07-19-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Loretta, If I am reading a regular book, I use a clothespin to hold the page open, or put something else over the pages. At the computer, it's easier, of course. I just found my old Walkman and hope to check out some audio books from the library soon. I used to love police mysteries, and think they will be fun to hear.

pm
Old 07-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm still trying to get through The Red House. It's not holding my attention very well. I'm still hoping it will all come together soon.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dsalazar4
Stats: 246.8
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/25/2012
I am reading Rivers end by Nora Roberts
dsalazar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
I'm reading Moving Can Be Murder by Susan Santangelo. The main character has grown kids and a husband who just retired...lots I can relate to! Very cute.
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #113
Blabbermouth!!!

Vinegar Hill- an Oprah pick a long time ago I am thinking. Real down kind of movie in the neighborhood of Angela's Ashes but well, I dunno- grim I guess. It did keep my attention for an Oprah book- I never read her picks.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had to include this excerpt from James Lee Burke's, Creole Belle which is fitting

"Age is a peculiar kind of thief. It slips up on you and steps inside your skin and is so quiet and methodical in its work that you never realize it has stolen your youth until you look into the mirror one morning and see a man you don't recognize."

Old 07-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #115
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
It's Live from the Road link is below...about two women who visited a friend in the hospital and as they're leaving, they ask, "Is that all there is to life?" So they hit the Mother Road (Route 66) with their two daughters to find out if it is....sounds very good, I hope it's as good as it sounds...mary

I just finished reading this today! Loved it! I had to chose the book for the Aug. book club meeting and I chose this from what you wrote about it! I'm so glad I did....I have to host the meeting in Aug. and will do snacks in the spirit of Route 66, diners and this story! Yes, we'll be having rootbeer floats!
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great, and thanks to your recommendation, I'll grab it out of my "to be read" file and read it....Hmmm, maybe I'll even run over to the diner and have some "mother road" food....sounds like a great go together.

I've been reading "Our Husband"...not sure of the complete title so I'll check and post it later...this was a serio-comic mystery about the murder of a bigamist whose three wives discover their plight when they arrive at the hospital after his auto accident. The ladies discover their plight after he dies from an induced heart attack. Each of the three are indicted for conspiracy to commit murder....the socialite, the doctor and the stripper. Very well written and good character development. Recommend if you like romance/mystery combined. I really don't know what prompted me to get this freebie from a while ago, but glad I did as it helped me to work through some of the grief of my husband's recent demise. This was not one of the issues of the book, but it helped me.

Today I picked up another bit of fluff in a short story which I won't recommend as the editing is atrocious, the plot rather thin.

I have started a recommendation I got from the JUDDD forum, The Leptin Diet: How Fit is Your Fat?" by Byron J. Richards. It explains how the hormones in the body are controlled by Leptin and is a follow up to his "Leptin Diet" which is under review, I guess, as there are some editing problems, I think. Anyway, it is also very good and adds to the information on nutrition as this hormone was discovered in 1994 so a lot of research is being done on it. I also did a Google search and came up with some interesting information..

Guess that's all I'm reading now, more later...
Old 07-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Our Husband by Stephanie Bond....I think I've read other books of hers and enjoyed her writing...it's no long free but only $.99...
Old 07-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #118
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
Our Husband by Stephanie Bond....I think I've read other books of hers and enjoyed her writing...it's no long free but only $.99...
I'll have to check it out....sounds like something I'd enjoy!
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #119

I will check out library for Live from the Road.

Listening now to a James Patterson book, Now You See Her
Reading Durable Goods by Elizabeth Berg on the Kindle.

Hope Jezzie is catching up on her reading.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!

Discovered an over looked by me author- Leisha Kelly

"Emma's Gift" is about the middle in her series of "the Walthams and the Hammonds- hoo boy it is something to keep up with and to my amazement I enjoyed every minute of reading this book. Now I will be looking to buy every last one of these books. OK I just looked it up and "Emma's Gift" is the second book in the first series. There are 3 books in the first series and a novella just about Christmas in 1932. Then the second series starts in the fall of 1938 with a total of 3 books. This author and her 16 year old son were killed in a auto accident- she was in her early 50s so it is sad as there may have been a lot more books she would have written. Did not take place in the South but sure did remind me of the country south of long ago.