Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Golden Years
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
My next Kindle read is Written in the Ashes by K. Hollen Van Zandt. I'm looking forward to visiting Ancient Rome with this book.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
no kindle for me.

staying in the low tech world. I am re-reading (the late)John Culshaw's THE RING RESOUNDING which is about how British Decca recorded Wagner's Ring Cycle (1958-1965). Also, I am keeping up with my Greek & Latin, both language and history. Ergo, i do not have time for novels at this time. If i had 1 slip of latinum for every Low Carb Friend who shared these interests, I would be dead before the weekend(perhaps i will be anyway). Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
We aren't going to allow Jezzie's favorite thread to die are we?

I just finished a marvelous book that has been on the best seller list for quite some time:

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
Begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #64

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Don't forget you don't need a Kindle to read Kindle books. There is a free app to download.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
Begete, I have had that book on my bedside table for years. I hear it is sad but very good. NO lets don't let Jezzie's thread die. It makes me happy to see her picture when I come to it.
I am between books right now. Can't find one that suits. Started three so far and archived them all after just a little bit. Silly or stilted conversations. Mood is everything!!!

Anne
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #66

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/119.5/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
We will keep this going as long as we can. Love seeing Jezzie's smiling face.

Listening to Glory in Death, JD ROBB series of Eve Dallas book #2. I finished the first book this past week. I have read some inbeteen but decided I would try to go back and start w #1. Glad I did.

Finishing Three Fates, Nora Roberts on Kindle.
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil

Just finished reading The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil by Lady Schwarz...a short read and I'd put the link to Amazon for the book but not sure if I can do that...so I'll not. I got it as a freebie some time ago, but it now costs some bucks, although Prime users can read it for free.

I've read that coconut oil is good for replacing the oil in cooking and I've done that, as a general rule. The author recommends it for hair, skin, digestion, etc. and I'm just wondering how you use coconut oil, if you do. I think I remember some folks mentioning they eat it daily, but am looking for recommendations...hope this is the right place for this, I guess it could be a separate thread...

mary in SoCal
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still reading multiple books and keeping the tread alive..

Still perusing No Carb Revolution, just can't seem to let it go, and Wheat Belly, having to spend some time to let it all soak in. I still get cravings for wheat products, but its grip is lessening.

But, for fun I'm reading a freebie I picked up some time ago and just getting to it Uneasy Spirits, a San Francisco Victorian Mystery by M. Louise Locke which is a sequel to another book that I'll have to check out. It's about San Francisco and is a mystery (lol) of a lady running a boarding house and offers psychic readings to cover her ability in financial matters who's investigating another psychic who's taking advantage of their patrons. Seems to be well written but I wish she'd stop referring back to the first book...anyway a good piece of fiction.

Also reading Colin Powel's It Worked for Me; In Life and Leadership before I give to my old boss who is a Colin Powell fan...as am I. I remember fondly meeting him and was so impressed with him as a leader and a man...one of the true living heroes. He covers his 13 rules very well. I used to keep them posted above my desk at work:
1. It ain't as bad as you think, it will look better in the morning.
2. Get mad and then get over it.
3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
4. It can be done.
5. Be careful what you choose, you may get it.
6. Don't let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
7. You can't make someone else's choices, you shouldn't let someone else make yours.
8. Cheer small things...
9. Share credit.
10. Remain calm, Be Kind.
11. Have a vision. Be Demanding.
12. Don't take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

I admired him most for his skill as a leader who took care of his troops and I used his principles to take care of mine.

mary in SoCal

Last edited by Mssarge; 05-26-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Old 05-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woohoo! checked my archive and for sure I had the first book Maids of Misfortune by M. Louise Locke...so Uneasy Spirits can wait until I read it...m
Old 05-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #70

Listening to Emily Hudson and reading on the Kindle, Fortune is a Woman by Elizabeth
Adler
Old 05-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Mary, I have Uneasy Spirits and went back and got the second one, too. Thanks for the review.

Anne
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TurnNBurn
I read "Bad Luck Cadet" by Suzie Ivy, a kindle freebie, about an overweight 45-year old woman, who in the midst of recovering from a broken hip and going through a mid-life crisis, decides to apply for the police academy! True story and it was so inspiring I bought her sequal (it was only $2.99) "Bad Luck Officer." She also has a blog, so that has kept me reading this long weekend.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

I've just started our Book Club selection for the month called The Witch's Daughter. It is out of my comfort zone but it is very interesting so far. That is why I love my book club...drags me out of the rut.

Anne
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the recommendation, went to the Kindle store and got The Bad Luck Cadet....m
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #75

Reading on Kindle, SO COLD THE RIVER by Michael Koryta, sort of eerie.

Listening to Silver Boat, Luanne Rice: 3 sisters trying to find their Dad who sailed to Ireland solo.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #76
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I'm jumping in here looking for some good ideas for books....some friends just started a book club and I'm in....I haven't had much time for reading the last few years and when I have had time I read health/nutrition books....

We have only had one meeting so far and we'll be rotating who hosts...I get August so we can use the pool while we discuss the book!
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Finished the Victorian San Francisco stores and really liked them. The writing was fresh and I didn't get bored with the second one which happens so frequently...also finished another thriller in the vein of Twilight a vampire/werewolf thriller-type, Once Bitten by Trina M. Lee on my Kindle...don't get confused as there are two books with the same title by different authors. This was well written romance/love/mystery/thriller about a werewolf pack having trouble with a rogue and the protagonist is a woman who has relations with a vampire and a werewolf. If you can bend your reality enough to go for it, it was good enough that I'm thinking of buying the second in the series.

Of course, I'm still perusing No Carb Revolution and Wheat Belly. And, I'll be adding Dr. Johnson's book on the Alternate Day Diet which should be coming in today...yeah, I folded and am buying a used copy from Amazon. I can add it to my collection...sometimes I prefer the dt (dead tree) books as I can flip through them a lot faster than I can on the Kindle or the app on the computer.

Just keeping the thread alive....mary

BTW, today Amazon has an Audrey Hepburn biography on the freebies. (As you can tell I have eclectic tastes in reading. Always have and always will.)...m

Last edited by Mssarge; 06-06-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just picked up an interesting freebie for the Kindle, Letting Go of Stuff by Darren L. Johnson. I've read just a few pages, but it looks as tho' it could be very good. There is stuff you can see and stuff you can't see....talks of clutter in the house and the clutter in the mind that keeps you awake at night...I'll let you know more after I read more of it...m
Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #79

Still reading SO COLD THE RIVER

Listening to TENDERFOOT. Very good novel about the eruption of MT. St. Helen in 1980.

Hope to find a lot of extra time for reading while I am on vacation next week.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here I am again just getting ready to start my next read. This one is Fifty Shades Trilogy Bundle. I decided to get the three books in one for my kindle. The author is E.L. James. Just finished Written in Ashes and altho it took me a while to finish it I really liked it. It's the first of 3 so will have to get them as they come out now.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
Is that Dr. Johnson the foreign Dr.? of the JUDD diet- load one day and 500 cals the next. I think it is in "Womens Day" this week and does sound doable.
Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Don't know about the Women's Day or the foreign but James B. Johnson M.D., one of the author's is an instructor at LSU School of Medicine plastic surgery (according to the flyleaf). I'm finding it very doable, as I'm spreading the 500 calorie day out and losing weight consistently. After three down days, I'm down eight pounds. I know it will slow but that's okay, too.

Not really finding anything that is catching my interest..of, I did pick up a few mysteries on Kindle's recent sale of some oldies. I bought and am currently one of my fav's (yes, I re-read books) The Hot Rock, a Dormunder mystery by Donald Westlake...I love his ineptitude.

Mary in SoCal
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Book club tonight...I'll let you know what we chose.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

My book club chose:

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake...

Has anyone read that yet?

Anne
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I finished The Donald Westlake mystery, The Hot Rock, I love those books and will re-read them whenever I get a chance and since this was a cheapie for the Kindle I had to pick it up. Still readining Wheat Belly and learning a lot. Some of those nonfiction books I take my time reading so that it sinks in and some like The No Carb Revolution I keep going back into....I've made notes of it and keep review them. Of course, I'm just starting the The Alternate Day Diet which is the manual on the JUDDD woe and I really should get into that today.

For fiction, I picked up James Lee Burke's The Glass Rainbow which Amazon has on special for a while as the next in the series comes out on July 17 so they're building an audience for that. This was the last in the series of Dave Robicheaux novels and I thought he had killed Dave off in the last one. I love the way Burke paints pictures with words...and his protagonist is a down-to-earth deputy sheriff in Southern Louisiana; a recovered alcoholic with devils of his own in addition to the devils that besage the law. A great series and if you like cops and robbers mysteries, they are great.

Mary in SoCal

Last edited by Mssarge; 06-13-2012 at 08:36 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
Kindle:-

Just started Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, the second in the Hunger Games trilogy - i really enjoyed the first book.

Also working my way slowly through The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck. Going slowly and carefully and carrying out all the activities.

Non Kindle:-

Awaiting delivery of The Alternate-Day Diet by Dr. James Johnson (There wasn't a Kindle version available on Amazon UK).
FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: perrysmom
WOE: general lc
Start Date: 11/8/2012
Hope it's okay if I join in. I'm a returning LCer.

I'm reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Mockingjay is on my shelf) and a book from the library called The Old Gods Waken by Manly Wade Wellman.

FairyWren, I have The Alternate-Day Diet, it's very good.

What is Wheat Belly? I'm intrigued.
perrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm in the middle of Fifty Shades. It's quite an eye opener!! Bondage isn't what I expected. Now I'm committed on finding out how this thing turns out. At least now I know why Jay Leno has so many jokes about this book.

I love my Kindle...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Of course you can jump in here, Perrysmom, and welcome...we're always interested in finding a good read.

Wheat Belly; Lose the Wheat, Lose The Belly by William Davis, MD. was a book recommended when I read The No Carb Revolution by John McLean,which I also highly recommend. Davis explains how wheat affects our bodies and that what we now call wheat has little or no relation to the wheat of the Bible. In 1950 there were major changes started that turned it into a Frankenfood in an effort to cure famine worldwide. Another instance of good plans gone awry.

I'm carefully reading both of these and hoping some of the info gets into my brain. I try to peruse my notes of each every day. Hope that helps.

Mary in SoCal
Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: perrysmom
WOE: general lc
Start Date: 11/8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
Of course you can jump in here, Perrysmom, and welcome...we're always interested in finding a good read.

Wheat Belly; Lose the Wheat, Lose The Belly by William Davis, MD. was a book recommended when I read The No Carb Revolution by John McLean,which I also highly recommend. Davis explains how wheat affects our bodies and that what we now call wheat has little or no relation to the wheat of the Bible. In 1950 there were major changes started that turned it into a Frankenfood in an effort to cure famine worldwide. Another instance of good plans gone awry.

I'm carefully reading both of these and hoping some of the info gets into my brain. I try to peruse my notes of each every day. Hope that helps.

Mary in SoCal
Thanks for the info, Mary! I had read someone's post about how the grains we eat today have been so modified that they can't provide enough nourishment. I believe that, because when I was recently following a high carb (McDougall) diet, I was so tired I could barely get through the day. After only 4 days on SB, I can feel such a difference. I'll see if my library has that book, it sounds really interesting.

BTW, I was a SoCal gal for 25 years. We moved to the country last year.
perrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote