Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Golden Years
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
Have 3 books now waiting for me in my Kindle by Lisa T. Bergren- Waterfall, Cascade, and Torrent. I'm all set for the time being. I'm still reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. So far really good.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/118/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Listening to ENCHANTMENT by Orsen Scott Card

Still reading Empire Falls, Russ Russo If I don't get online with my Kindle the library can't remove my book. Almost finished with it and don't want to get in line again.

It seems like you have to wait to get a lot of the books they only have 1 or 2 copies of because of copyrights.

Last edited by Loretta V; 04-09-2012 at 09:30 AM..
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Anyone read the Mitford series by Jan Karon?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
I read all of Mitford Series, Tilly. Enjoyed every one.

Anne
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Liblady
Stats: 108 lbs. 5'
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: May '11
I too read ALL the series........and liked them.
Ginny
Liblady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Someone lent me the whole series. When I first started them I thought they were kind of sappy, but the more I read the more I love them!!!! Since then I have been reading a lot of other books inbetween so to space them out and want them to never end. I am on the last one now, In the Company of Others . Don't want it to end. Wish she would write another one.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #37

Listening to Absolute Certainity by Rose Connors a good lawyer mystery.

Reading on Kindle Maggy's Child by Karen Robards, a good story about and abused wife but too much sex for me and I don't consider myself a prude.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/168.5/155
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
I usually have at least a couple of books going at once, one fiction and one non-fiction. The two I'm rather excited about now is:

As I posted in a separate thread, I'm really enjoying the No-Carb Revolution... by John McLean. He's not really presenting new information, but putting this WOE into focus for me...wait, I did learn something new, or least refreshed my memory of the Sommersizing of eating fruit separately. McLean really explains that our bodies process food differently from vegetables and proteins and makes it understandable. This book is still a freebie on Amazon, and is well worth a much higher price.

My fiction reading started with The Huntress by Nicole Hamlett, which was also a freebie for the Kindle...I'm kind of passionate about mythology and particularly Greek mythology. This one is about a romance author living a fairly normal life before discovering she is Diana's daughter and so long to normality. I like the author so well, I had to buy her second book, Rifts. Very intense on both...and very enjoyable reading...

Mary in SoCal

Last edited by Mssarge; 04-18-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta V View Post
Listening to Absolute Certainity by Rose Connors a good lawyer mystery.

Reading on Kindle Maggy's Child by Karen Robards, a good story about and abused wife but too much sex for me and I don't consider myself a prude.
I think that can be distracting to the story. And personally I really don't need the details. I would rather they leave it up to my imagination, ya know, they closed the door .......
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #40

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/151.6/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
Do I need an account or a kindle to get that No Carb book free from Amazon?
How do you do that? I am in Canada.
SuSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Susan, check with Amazon...they have apps for computers that are free which give access to all the Kindle books. I have them on both my 'puters and the notebook I bought a month ago and rarely use...oh, plus the Kindle. I love it; one of the reasons is that you can change the size of the font which is great for my aging eyes. It was my personal gift when I retired almost two years ago. One of the other reasons I love it is that I have almost a thousand books saved on it and it is so convenient to take with and always have something to read with me.

So, check out the apps, I don't know their policy for Canada but I'm sure you'll find something good.

m
Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
I wouldn't know how to live without my Kindle apps. I downloaded mine right at the amazon site and have them on both my laptop and my big computer. My actual Kindle goes with me. I'm never without reading stuff. Love the free books.

Enjoy your reading friends.
Shalbrihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #43

Mary, Thank you for the tips and advice. Very low tech lady here.
I find I am way too scattered to read much. I start and stop lots. Get half way and then drop it. So frustrating as I see many of you enjoying the books.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSUN View Post
Mary, Thank you for the tips and advice. Very low tech lady here.
I find I am way too scattered to read much. I start and stop lots. Get half way and then drop it. So frustrating as I see many of you enjoying the books.
Once I start a good one I have a hard time stopping! I can't read nonstop, so pick it up when I can and like to read right before I go to sleep.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/132.2/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Susan, If you're able to get the Kindle app added to your computer, try to get the book Mary recommended. I think you'll find it entertaining as well as informative, even if you read it in just short spurts.

Michele
modon69478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Actually the Kindle app would be good for you, Susan, as the program holds your place indefinitely and you can add bookmarks and make notes just like you would in a book if you do those things in DT books (E-book speak for Dead Tree Books). I find referring to the notes and bookmarks a lot easier on the computer than on the Kindle....maybe it has something to do with being bigger on the 'puter.

It's really easy even for a non-tech person to download the app, Personally, I'm going kicking and screaming into the 21st century and I only learn what I have to to use the stuff I buy...you can too. Just go to Amazon.com kindle store and create an account and the application (app) will almost load itself on your computer and create a shortcut on your desktop so you can return easily to it....if you have any questions, there are a ton of people here who can help you with them; don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure you'll use it and like it as much as most users do....I've yet to hear a bad comment on the Kindle or app, well, except for the folks who like to Nook; which is a whole 'nuther story.

Let us know how you're doing....Mary in SoCal

Last edited by Mssarge; 04-19-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Old 04-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just an idea. I was wondering if we could come up with a book that we could all read at around the same time? And we could come up with different genres. No stress just some fun to share the same thing.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/1/01
I'm working my way through Ian Rankin's DI Rebus books: I'm on Set in Darkness.
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Finished my two I listed above although I am transcribing my notes from the No-Carb Revolution (more on that in a later post) and am now reading:

Nonfiction is one suggested by John McLean in No-Carb Revolution, Wheat Belly by William Davis MD, which is another eye-opener. Amazing the genetic manipulations that have occurred in this "staff of life" since the mid-1950's...it is no longer genetically the same food that people ate for centuries....again, more on this when I'm further into the book. I popped for something other than a freebie (which I do following a recommendation from someone I respect), but I'm thinking it's well worth the price.

The fiction book is a bit of fluff, Trouble in Mudbug by Jana DeLeon, mystery about a woman and her ghostly mother-in-law...another freebie for the Kindle....kinda fun read.

Oh, and I guess I should include after talking with my nieces yesterday, I am encouraged to return to my cookbook editing as it includes memories of of my maternal line and the recipes I remember from the early, early days. Even considering self-publishing in the Kindle.

Mary in SoCal

Last edited by Mssarge; 04-27-2012 at 05:20 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #50

Listening now to another JD Robb, Eve Dallas mystery. This one is about her wedding. I need to back up and get the first one. That is one thing I don't like about reading a series.

Reading a free Kinle book from amamzon called, SING ME HOME, by Jerri Cougiat, a good light read.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #51

More excited about reading now with my Kindle, it is just more convient than always having to carry a book. I also enjoy listening to audio books now that I have learned how to use my San Disk mp3 player.

Started Nora Roberts, CONSIDERING KATE
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, don't forget that you can use the Kindle for audio books, too. I'm trying to devise some kind of a holster for the K so that I can listen to my book while I'm walking....

Still reading Wheat Belly and transcribing my notes from the No-Carb Revolution. Finished the first book on Mudbug and have also finished the second one...don't know if I'll read the third one or not...why do so many authors, recently, feel like they have to write serials? I call it the "Tolkien" effect...

mary
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #53

Mary I have not found the way to audio books on the kindle yet, but will look for them. I have listened to books on the kindle but don't care for the way they are just Read without inflections. Sounds like a robot reading.

Reading now on the Kindle a Nora Roberts book, Three Fates, Listening to another Nora on my player, Angel Falls. Both enjoyable, I like Nora.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LA JOAN
Stats: 188/185/?
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4/26/12
I am an obsessive mystery series reader. The obsession is that I have to read an author from 1st book on, in sequence. It's almost like watching a soap opera for me - keeping up with the protagonists lives. I have spreadsheets of my paperbacks, which I usually buy used, and check off which ones I have read as I go through a series. The problem is that after a good while, I know I have read the book, but - I couldn't tell you what is was about or who done it.

I have read all of JA Jance, Jane Haddam, Martha Grimes, Tami Hoag, Tess Gerritson and Anne Perry's series. The Kellermans (both of them), Jeffrey Deaver and Elizabeth George - who is my favorite. I am recently into Stuart Woods, Michael Connelly, Robert B. Parker, John LesCroat and Dennis Lehane.

I love Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch and am currently reading an out of series by him called "Chasing the Dime".
LA JOAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooooh! Thanks for the list, Joan, as I, too, have the same obsession. I can't start a series in the middle, have to pick up the first and take them in sequence. You've listed some authors with whom I'm not familiar so will check them out...some of yours are old friends of mine, Jance, Kellermans, Deaver, and George to name a few. I've had to give up paperbacks as the type in most is too small for my cataracts and ARMD to handle. That was one of the primary reasons I went to the Kindle as I can change the size of the type to accommodate my eyes. Plus, I have the apps on both computers so can read wherever. (Plus all of the used book stores in my area have closed and I can't find a dealer for my fix.)

BTW, have you tried James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series - New Orleans detective turned small-town deputy-sheriff? I thought he had killed him off in his last book, but can hardly wait for the next one out in June.

Thanks again for the leads, Mary

Last edited by Mssarge; 05-05-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sorry for the long post, but wanted to let you know

Hey guys, just wanted to bring you up to date on my current reading…haven’t found any interesting fictional book to capture my interest so I’m going through my Kindle library of stuffed I’ve stored from the freebie lists….I download and save it as it becomes available as they can be free for only a few hours or so. I subscribe to Windwalker’s blog as it gets updated every few hours or so….anyway, reading a chapter or so of some of my saved books but haven’t found anything to capture my interest since I finished the “Mudbug” series…they were okay, well written which really means a lot although not my usual cup of tea. (The first was a freebie, but I bought the other two.)

I’m still reading both the non-fiction books, The No-Carb Revolution and Wheat Belly…I keep referring back to my notes on Revolution daily and usually find something the needs going back to the book. A few of the most interesting have been: “In a series of 13 Keys, we will learn the exact mechanisms for how the storage of fats in our bodies is triggered…and what we can do both to stop storing new fat and also to begin burning away the old fat we’d previously put away” which is how the hormones in our bodies interact to help or keep us from the fat, insulin, glucagon, leptin, ghrelin, etc. I find it all very fascinating. Plus I like some of his names...Krap (Krap includes any “food” that has no resemblance to actual Food. If you bought it off a Dollar Menu, it’s Krap.), Fat food drive thru, and others. He has a lot of created words that convey a lot.

Of course, he suggested the other book, Wheat Belly, which is also totally fascinating about how big business and big food have conspired to foist on not only the American people but also people worldwide the wheat-based diet that is wrecking our health. Wheat has been genetically altered so that is no longer the wheat our forefathers knew. How it is related to diabetes and celiac diseases, addictions, the list goes on and on…anyway, I’ve rambled for a bit, but I hope I’ve given you the gist of both.

Mary in SoCal

Last edited by Mssarge; 05-05-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Loretta, do you subscribe to the on-line store...I think it's called Audiobooks.com ? I know the have some excellent buys. I'm not really into audio books but want to "read" instead of listening to music on my walk. I, too, am not impressed the sound on the Kindle tho' I have really tried them except to check it out....m

just checked it out and it is audiobooks.com they have lots of free ones available...but I've also heard that audible.com is also very good (I have friends that use them) m

Last edited by Mssarge; 05-05-2012 at 03:36 PM..
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #58

Thanks Mary but I'd rather not sign up for that audible book site when the library has plenty to keep my busy.

Thanks LA Joan for that list of your author picks. Are those mysteries violent with lots of killing? Our library had only one Elizabeth George book.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #59

Mary, I love those titles. No-Carb Revolution and Wheat Belly...one day.

Thank you for all the encouragement, when my mind settles I will start reading again.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Just an idea. I was wondering if we could come up with a book that we could all read at around the same time? And we could come up with different genres. No stress just some fun to share the same thing.
Tilly, I would love that!!! I'm in, hopefully we can get a few others to join us!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote