Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Golden Years
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
I hang my laundry outside, and when there is too much pollen, or it's raining, or the neighbors are grilling, mowing the lawn, or using their electric dryers with the dryer sheets full of petro-chemical fragrances, I hang my laundry inside on racks.

I make my own laundry soap from lard, lye, and borax, and use white vinegar for the rinse cycle. I make stain remover soap for pre-treating stains.

There is nothing like the smell of sun-drenched laundry!
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
You make your own laundry soap? Wow, you really are like "Auntie Em" I mean that in a good way, of course!!!

D
mykneesareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizski
Stats: 312/149/150
WOE: Primal Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I make my own laundry soap from lard, lye, and borax, and use white vinegar for the rinse cycle.
Lard & lye??? Wow. I didn't know you could get lye anymore. Actually, I didn't know you could ever get it. Very interesting, Auntie Em.

I bought the ingredients to make my own homemade laundry soap with Fels Naptha, washing soda & borax. I've been waiting for my supply of store bought detergent to go down before I make it. I like the fragrance of the Fels Naptha...very clean.

Remember those old 20-Mule Team Borax commercials? I think they aired in the late 50s or maybe early 60s.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #34

My mother used to buy that "20 mule team Borax" all the time. That product used to be the main sponsor of a Ronald Reagan tv show too, way back then, I don't think it was in color yet either.

I have some Fels Naptha in the laundry area still, use it for stains on dh's clothes, when he works outside. Otherwise, I spray on "Shout", I tried to "shout it out", but the stains don't budge.

I used to post on "3 Fat Chicks" too, but their boards ran so slow, these go faster!!

D

Last edited by mykneesareback; 07-18-2010 at 08:50 PM..
Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykneesareback View Post
I used to post on "3 Fat Chicks" too, but their boards ran so slow, these go faster!!
I was over there a lot when I was diet plan shopping; it's a very good site for that. Also when I was on SBD. When I was considering Rosedale or Atkins, not so much so I moved on. I still check in there every now and again.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Mykneesareback, thanks for the kind thoughts. I always liked her, so I use her name sometimes. I've just started posting on 3fatchicks, and I have noticed that sometimes the pages won't load. Many of the older Maintenance Forum threads have helped me to rethink how I approach food and exercise. I found this forum while looking for a Callanetics forum.

Mizki, I get Root-o 100% lye from Ace Hardware. Root-o makes two kinds of lye and I make sure to get the 100%. Here is the recipe I use for laundry soap, copied from here:

I keep this soap on hand all the time. It takes a few days to set up but it's really easy to make and works well in soft water. People with hard water will want to have it softened with borax or washing soda before adding soap.

1 gallon heavy plastic or glass container with wide mouth
1/2 gallon cold water
2.25 ounces lye
1 lb lard, melted
1/2 cup washing soda (If you can't find it, just double the Borax.)
1/2 cup borax (up this to 1 cup if you can't find the washing soda)
Fragrance oil or essential oil of your choice (optional)
Hot water to fill the container

Add cold water to container. Add lye; stir well (this barely gets warm because lye is so diluted) Add lard, washing soda, borax, fragrance oil. Add hot water to finish filling the container and stir well with a wire whisk.

Whisk 3 times a day or so until set up. Initially, it will start with a glob of soap on top but will set up more each time you whisk it. After three days or so, you will be left with a nice, powdery liquid that you can use in your laundry.

Add 1/2 - 1 cup for a top loading machine. Dissolve in hot water before adding to a very cold wash. Otherwise, just add it while the machine is filling. Use less in a front loader; this one WILL suds if you add too much.

I use Fels Naphtha sometimes for rust or ink stains. It's a great stain remover. I don't use any fragrances in laundry things as they are made from petro-chemicals, so grating Fels Naphtha is "out" for me. I use it, though, when my own stain remover doesn't do the job.

If the above recipe appeals to you, you could make a batch of the Fels Naptha soap and put some into the homemade recipe, for the smell and have a more economical laundry soap.

It's very important to use white vinegar in the rinse cycle to get the soap scum off the clothes and out of the machine, or the clothes won't feel as nice and the machine will eventually get "gunked up".

I use Borax for cleaning the toilet, too. Those commercials with the mules are in my memory files somewhere....

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-19-2010 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #37

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/119/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Tide, fragrance free liquid for me. Just cannot use fragrance or I will break out.
Hand lotions that have fragrance are a real NO NO.

I used to make my own laundry soap as Auntie Em described. One of the problems I remember was that it didn't always dissolve (it was like a cottage cheese consistency) My kids also complained about it. I used to use citronella for scent. I think I will stick with my Tide liquid.

I wish I had a clothesline out in the back of my yard. I might get one of my DSs to hang one for me. Just can't do it myself. I would hang out sheets, especially. I do have a wooden clothes dryer rack and use it for some items. Some items I hang on hangers and let them air dry also. I have spot in the garage for that.

My mom always hung out her clothes. In the winter she hung them in the basement. My DSis still uses those same lines. When the clothes are dry she has to "harvest" them.

Maintaining 118/122 **** 13 YEARS
WHEREVER YOU ARE - BE ALL THERE!
BarbCO 4-15-2007
OLD WISE ONE
Jezzie 4-23-2012

Last edited by Loretta V; 07-19-2010 at 07:04 AM..
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I use Fels Naphtha sometimes for rust or ink stains. It's a great stain remover. I don't use any fragrances in laundry things as they are made from petro-chemicals, so grating Fels Naphtha is "out" for me.
Fels Naptha no longer contains petroleum distillates (Stoddard solvent). I wasn't aware that laundry fragrances were from petro-chemicals. They should put these things on the labels instead of just saying, "fragrance!"
Old 07-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Mizski, I agree, just printing "fragrance" on the label isn't enough. The fragrances in cosmetics, laundry/cleaning supplies are all made from petro-chemicals, even that smell in Fels Naphtha. Otherwise, it would be perfume, which is distilled from flowers or other parts of plants, and very costly.

One can use essential oils which are obtained without the use of petroleum derivatives for scents in laundry soaps. If it should appeal to you, I think thedishforum is the best soap-making forum on the web.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-19-2010 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: typographical error
Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The fragrances in cosmetics, laundry/cleaning supplies are all made from petro-chemicals, even that smell in Fels Naphtha. Otherwise, it would be perfume, which is distilled from flowers or other parts of plants, and very costly.
That makes sense. Thank you very much for this info and for that link. I learn so much here on LCF! Sometimes, things I wish I did not know. LOL
Old 07-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Mizski, I ought to have added that not all essential oils are derived without the use of petroleum derivatives. If they are obtained without the use of petroleum derivatives, it is listed on the label.

This website, the cosmetics database, lists the actual ingredients for many things on the market.

After looking up a few things there, I decided to make many more of my own cosmetics and cleaning supplies. I'm one of those vinegar-baking soda-borax folks now.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-19-2010 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: added something
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #42

I tried that vinegar cleaning stuff, didn't do a danged thing around here, and stunk of vinegar too. One thing about making all that stuff on your own, it keeps you from being in the kitchen thinking about food and snacking though............keeps the hands busy. Sort of like a hobby of sorts.

Loretta, could you have one of those clotheslines that is like a octogon, that you can turn any direction if you want it to, doesn't take up the full length of your yard area? We had one of those when we lived in suburbia, but up here dh built me a long one because we have alot of room, and it can handle the freezing winters. Had to cement the posts into the ground, and they are made of steel.

Off to get some work done on here.

Old Doris
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Those octagon clothes lines are nice. I have the old-fashioned kind and the poles need re-setting.

Making the cleaning things and soap is a bit like a hobby. Hadn't really thought of it that way. 'Tis indeed better than eating when one oughtn't.

Sorry the vinegar didn't work as a cleaner for you. I put a few drops of dishwashing liquid in vinegar and water for the mirrors. Didn't do much without the dishwashing liquid in it.

Hope you all have a lovely morning!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #44

I am a big fan of white vinegar for cleaning.

Auntie do you have any ideas for natural stain removers for clothes?

Good idea about the octagon clothes line. I will give that some thought. But I am helpless about putting things up like that .
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #45

I'm going to try the dishwashing liquid and white vinegar trick, have a patio door that needs cleaning before this weekend, will be a good test, thanks for that tip. I never put anything in before besides the vinegar, or used plain vinegar. Did notice that plain vinegar wiped on an area will keep ants away for awhile.

D
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Did notice that plain vinegar wiped on an area will keep ants away for awhile.
It's also good for discouraging earwigs from coming in the house as they don't like the vinegar smell. For whatever reason, they have been a problem around here this summer. I HATE bugs in the house! Might be time for more borax around the perimeter too.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Loretta, I don't know if it would be considered natural, but I have used hydrogen peroxide on lace, crocheted and tatted things, to get the yellow out. I didn't want to use bleach, as it destroys the fibers. I make soap from lard and turpentine for a stain remover. It works well on blood and dirt stains. I can post the recipe it you're interested.

Mizski, I can't stand the bugs either. A neighbor uses hydrogen peroxide to wipe down her counters to keep the roaches off.

Another useful thing I found out, from quilters I know, is not to store cottons in cedar, as cedar breaks down the cotton fibers.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #48

My dh won't let me use lard and turpentine or lye products, we have a well, and our plumber guy would just pass away if he knew about that, lol lol. That's stuff that they used during and before the depression in the 1930's though, used to read about it in books from that era. Remember when they used to tell us to "spot clean" clothes with gasoline???

I'm trying the vinegar again in the kitchen, but I sure hate that smell. Bought a huge bottle of the cheapest kind.

Doris
Old 07-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #49

Yes Em I would be interested in that recipe for the stain remover. It is wine stains on some of the church cloths that I need to exorcise. I have tried about everything. Some of the stains are from lipstick also.

Doris I don't think I will be pouring gallons of that stuff in the drain. Dh worried alot about our septic tank also. He used to put yeast cakes in it. It became difficult to find yeast cakes after a while. We also used Rid X. When they came to flush our tank they said it was in great shape and to keep up the good work. We never put grease in it. I mix vinegar with alcohol for window cleaner. 1 part vinegar, 2 parts alcohol.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tatehouse
WOE: Doing the best I can with Low Carb as a priority
Start Date: Jan, 2002
Rubbing alchohol or Scotch? Just playing.
tatehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Doris, do you only use detergents?

Real soap is always made from fat and lye. The molecules of the lye and the fat are completely changed in the chemical process and become soap. There is no lye left in the soap. (When folks made lye from ashes from the wood pile, they couldn't measure how much lye they were actually using.) Laundry and cleaning soaps have 0% fat. There is no lard in the soap. The lard becomes soap and the lye becomes soap. They both disappear.

I don't follow how incoming water from a well is disturbed by things going into the waste water. Is your waste water soaking into the earth near your well?

Kitchen waste has cooking oils and fats, and waste water from the shower and bathroom sink have body oils being washed down the drain. The toilet has whatever animal fats we've eaten going into the waste water.

Turpentine comes from pine trees. It is not a petroleum product.

I have a septic tank and have no trouble at all. Lard is just animal fat, and unless one keeps a vegan diet, there will always be animal fats going into the waste water. I've heard of some using yoghurt culture to keep the septic tank "alive".

Loretta:

Here's the stain stick soap recipe, from a soap-making forum

I make this up as a pretreater soap. I found it in a book from the 1890's and I updated it so it's odorless and not lye heavy.

Update: If you want to make it for less money, you can substitute kerosene for the turpenoid.....although it's not odorless.

Edited to add....turpentine substitute, like the real thing is flammable. Prepare this recipe well away from a gas range or any other open flame, and use all the precautions you would with any paint thinner.

2.2 oz lye
6 oz water
1 lb lard
1.6 oz turpentine or turpentine substitute (found in art supplies--Turpenoid is one brand)

Stir lye into cold water....let stand until just warm.

Melt lard and cool to about 100 degrees.

Pour lye water into lard and stir or stick blend to light trace.

Add turpentine substitute and stir to full trace.

Pour into molds and insulate or oven process as usual. A tube mold makes a great stain stick shape.

Unmold and cut.

Directions for Use

Dampen stain with plain water.

Rub stain soap into stain thoroughly.

Let stand from 5 minutes to a couple of days.

Wash as usual.

I keep this away from my other soaps so that I don't use it for something else. Although the turpentine smell does give it away. I only use turpentine as I don't use petroleum products in my cleaning supplies or toiletries.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-21-2010 at 01:30 PM..
Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #52

Trace????? meaning. Soap molds ??? Can I use an ice cube tray>? Oven process? All so new to me. How do I store this stick? Will it hold up in the warm temperatures? Looks like I need soap making 101.

But it sounds like something I would like to try.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Loretta, here is a site for learning to make soap and thedish is, I think, the best soap-making forum. Trace is the indicator at which the soap can be poured into the mold. If you have ever made pudding from scratch on the stovetop, and you pick up the spoon and the pudding drizzle stays on top of the pudding and doesn't sink back into the pudding, it leaves its own trace. That is the thickness the soap mixture must have before the soap is ready to pour into the mold.

Oven process is for those who want to speed up the process. I don't use it. I use what is called cold process. You can't use the soap right away, but it is easy and you're not paying for heating up the oven. Soap-making for me is part of being thrifty as well as being healthy and in charge of what I put on my body, on my clothes, etc.

Cold process is using liquid oils or melted fats and mixing them with the lye-water solution, then, after trace, pouring them into a mold. Then, waiting for the soap to set up hard enough to cut. Then unmolding and waiting for the soap to cure long enough to use. The stain sticks are made with lard and can be used in 4-6 weeks. You can use them earlier, they will just get used up faster, because the water content is higher. Curing is the evaporation of water from the soap mixture.

There are some basic safety precautions for making soap.

Wear long-cuff rubber gloves, safety glasses or goggles, long sleeves. Make sure that no children or pets (or anyone else wanting attention or who could bump into something) have access to your work areas while you are working.

I use a Tupperware container for a mold. I grease it with petroleum jelly and then cut freezer paper for a liner, putting the shiny side facing the soap mixture. Whatever you designate as a mold becomes a soap-making mold, to be kept separate from things used for food. You'll need a place as dry and cool as possible, where nothing will disturb it, to keep the mold while the soap is setting up for a few days. Then you unmold it, cut it, and let it cure (which is simply the water evaporating) until you use it.

VERY IMPORTANT, is to be super, super careful handling the lye. Many of us work in silence, no radio, no tv, no phone, etc. Always wear gloves and safety goggles, long sleeves, shoes and socks, have arms and legs covered. ALWAYS put the lye into the water and never the other way round. NEVER use aluminum utensils when handling lye. If you have long hair, braid it, tie it up, get it completely out of the way.

I make very small batches, using one - two pounds of melted fats or oils.

Making soap is not difficult but it requires knowing exactly what to do before one starts.

Kathy Miller's site and the dish forum (above links) as well as the soapmakingforum are excellent places to get your bearings and get help.

I really enjoy making my own soaps. I make shampoo from olive oil and castor soap, and use lard soap for washing dishes and laundry. Saves lots of money and is much healthier than the stuff from the stores. It's great to be able to control what goes into the soaps. No mysterious ingredients. Making soap is one of those therapeutic activities for me.

The only things I needed to buy for supplies were a stainless steel, slotted spoon and some freezer paper. I use a digital postal scale to weigh the water, the oils, and the lye. I appropriated some things from the kitchen for making soap. Some use stick blenders, but I enjoy the slow, quiet, old-fashioned spoon.

It is actually easy to learn to make soap, and once you've made one batch, it'll be very easy the next time. All it takes is being careful, patient, accurate, and having all the things on hand. After counting carbs, calories, grams of protein, measuring tablespoons and quarter cups and weighing grams of food, making soap will seem remarkably easy.

I wish you lots of fun with it. I wish I'd started making soap many years ago. Would have saved me lots of disappointments and money on toiletries and at the health food store, as well as laundry and cleaning things.

Please ask whatever you'd like, I'll try to answer if I can, or at least give you a reliable reference.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-22-2010 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: trying to be thorough and accurate
Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Here is a list, with photos of different kinds of laundry racks. The list includes where to buy them. Wanted to post this the other day and forgot. There are some very nifty ones.

I have also seen some very nice ones at the Chinese supermarkets.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-22-2010 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: added something
Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: birdlady
Start Date: june03
Vinegar is a great cleaner for cement. I use it to clean the cat porch with detergent,does a great job(might keep the cats off for a while also lol). Use lots of it,love the smell.
Interesting read even if I have no intention of making my own soap.
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #56

Yes, hard to imagine that women used to have to do that kind of thing though. When did they have time to exercise back then, ?? lol No wonder they died young.

Tried the vinegar, dish soap today, left marks same as windex, but windex smells better, so I'll stick to that. The newspaper to dry with does work though. Remember seeing that on Martha Stewart.

D
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Doris, were you thinking about them making vats of soap in a giant, iron kettle outside over a wood fire? And boiling laundry the same way? Yep, if I had grown up doing those kinds of chores, I'd probably buy store-bought soap, too. My mother has told me that of all the modern conveniences, she's the most grateful for indoor plumbing.

Here's a window cleaner recipe that doesn't leave streaks. I wash my car windows with it. I find it works very well.

For one gallon:

2 Tablespoons non-sudsing ammonia
1 pint rubbing alcohol (my father's notes state "no menthol")
Tap water to fill one gallon. Don't fill quite all the way, and

after jug is almost full, add 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid.

I find it helps prevent the film that builds up on car windows inside, better than anything I've used. I think my father found this in Reader's Digest a long time ago.

I know paper towels are expensive, but I like using them on the car windows, as I want the car windows really transparent. I use cleaning rags inside. I don't mind if the mirrors and windows in the house have a few spots or streaks sometimes. Being able to see when I drive is crucial.

Hope you all are having a nice evening.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-22-2010 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: corrected typing errors, it's almost bedtime....
Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/1/01
OT:How Many of Us Hang Clothes Outside?

Quote:
Do you still hang clothes outside, or did you quit doing it, never did it anyway, or do you live where it is "against the rules" ???

Doris
I hang everything outside...it's not the "freshness" fragrance I like, it's just the act of doing it (in the winter, I hang on lines in the basement). And I like to sit on my deck and watch the clothes billow in the breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
Properly means that you are supposed to hang your panties and bras in the middle with other clothes on the outer lines so the whole world doesn't see your drawers (or bloomers as my dad used to call them).
I totally do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValR View Post
I hang out my clothes whenever possible with the exception of towels since they get crunchy.
I tell our ds they "exfoliate" and to quite whining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
I bought the ingredients to make my own homemade laundry soap with Fels Naptha, washing soda & borax. I've been waiting for my supply of store bought detergent to go down before I make it. I like the fragrance of the Fels Naptha...very clean.
I've made some of this...not impressed with the cleaning ability but DH likes the fragrance. So he uses it on his work clothes, they're all dark so it doesn't really show how clean they are.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
Just enjoying everyones post...I remember hanging clothes for many years..We never had a washing machine until I was married and then our first income tax return my DH bought us one...I was thrilled...I didnt mind hanging the clothes but I hated going on base to the laundry mat and washing by hand...I remember washing alot of diapers and hanging them to freeze on the line...lol..and I lived in warm weather Texas....Then when I had my next child 19 years later....Guess what...I learned about Pampers fast....lol... I loved the smell also of fresh clothes from off the line and I remember as a young wife ironing everything .....My DH had his military clothes so starched you could stand them up by themselves ....Now I live in AZ...and I dont hang out clothes here but with 114 temp...they sure would dry fast....Mary
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: genevieve
Stats: 282.6/267/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april 2010/restart 10/11/10
i use to hang out clothes and sheets and blankets,haven't done in about 2 yrs now. i miss the fresh scent.
genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote