Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JeanieH
Stats: 275/190/140???
Start Date: April 14 2003
LOW CARB Testimony's

How about we all share our personal stories of doing low carb? Some of you have reached goal weight already and I bet you have a great story... others of us are just on the journey towards that goal... but we all have our own stories... how about we share them and hopefully the newbies and even us long term low carbers will get a push of motivation to keep up the good work? If this sounds good just join right in and share here is a list of a few things you might include.

Why you started low carbs?
What differences has low carbs made in your life?
" " in your health?
What key things have helped you?
How do you motivate yourself to keep going?
What helpful hints can you share?

Can any of you think of other topics to cover? Let's make this a long encouraging/informative thread.

I will post my Testimony after a bit... hopefully some of you are game to share... Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: pastis
Stats: 234/229/140
WOE: Losing weight the smart low carb way & exercise
Start Date: Jan 1 2007
Hi everyone

I started low carb (Dr Atkins) about 1 1/2 years ago when I realized weight watchers wasn't doing it for me and I was addicted to carbohydrates. I was 240 pounds and initially lost 20 pounds before I found this board. I have dropped another 8 pounds which is a bit discouragiing but I am experimenting to find how few carbs I need to lose weight and how many it takes to maintain.

I used to wake up every morning discouraged because my weight was such a huge part of my thoughts and I would go to bed every night feeling like a failure. I was also really feeling the effects of hypglycemia and after a breafast of toast/ juice and fruit I would be lightheaded, have the shakes and numb lips by mid morning.

Now even though losing is still a struggle I wake up knowing that I can stay low carb and have no ill effects from a carb high diet. I know this is working for me but I won't be an overnight success story. It takes time and commitment.

This board and the support of everyone here keeps me going. I check in first thing every morning and several times during the day. Even though I have only met a few of you in person I know I'm part of a family that truly cares about me, applauds every little success I have and encourages me to keep going.

I also have a favorite dress shop and once a week I go in an look at the clothes I'm going to be able to buy soon.

Since March this year I made a commitment to make exercise a part of every day. I am continually amazed that I can get through an hour aerobics class , dance class or paddling session and not only enjoy the time I spend there but feel so great afterwards. There really is something about exercise and endorphines.

Every day I post a "tip of the day" on the no cheating thread. I would also invite every one to join us over there. This challenge has really kept me on track this montha and as we have nearly three weeks left it's not too late to join.

take care

Rae

Last edited by pastis; 06-02-2004 at 01:55 PM..
pastis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JeanieH
Stats: 275/190/140???
Start Date: April 14 2003
I started low carbs on April 14 2003…. A lot of things had brought me to this point of deciding to give low carbs another try…a few years earlier I lost some weight while doing Atkins…. Some things came up though in our lives that kept making me think I had to give up on Atkins because we were traveling here or this dinner or that birthday or that Holiday…always something and more of an excuse I suppose then a real true reason, but I would give up and gain it back…although I wasn’t losing but a few pounds each time.

Then I injured my back, shoulders in a fall (high deck steps collapsed sending me on a fall 10 feet or further down with me landing on steps that were teetering on rocks below) which left me in severe pain. Dr’s told me I needed surgery in both shoulders, and my neck and spine would always be tender. As time went by my soreness lessened however I had gained a lot of weight from just sitting most of the time. I was unable to keep up with cleaning and exercise was out of the question. Then a time came that I had a bad cold/sinus trouble and I went into my DR to see what could be done…. I was weighing 275 pounds by then and very very uncomfortable and self conscious about the weight gain. My blood pressure was now not able to even be controlled by blood pressure meds…although he tried various meds on me which made me feel worse then ever. It was at the DR office that day that he told me that my life was in a downwards spiral…that I was going to keep getting worse until something took me and I would be dead… well he just said took me but I knew he meant I would die. As we drove back from the DR that day… tears stained my face… something rose up within me that I just knew that I would not settle for what this DR was telling me…. I made the decision to go back on low carbs and to add exercise to the mix to get me thru this….I WOULD LOSE THE WEIGHT AND I WOULD SHOW THEM!!!

I had found these boards a couple of years before when I had tried dabbling with losing some weight doing low carbs… well I had the bookmark still…. So I popped into the lobby and started reading…. I made the commitment to myself that I could do this and nothing was going to stop me!

At this time I could not even stand for more then 10 min. at a time because I was suffering from a pinched nerve in my back which would hurt so bad and send numbness down my left leg…. So I would dabble at house cleaning for 10 min then sit for 5 or so then do some more….my life was narrowed down to sitting and watching life pass me by….. then wonderful news. My youngest son and daughter in law had been trying to conceive for several years to no avail…..but miracles do happen…even though DR’s gave them no hope unless they would use invetro…. They left the situation in God’s hands… and not only did they conceive 1 baby…but the news was TWINS…. During this ordeal with my back my middle son had a baby… it was so special to be at that hospital and see my new Grandson… but when they let me hold him, tears rolled down my cheeks because of the terrible pain I was in to even hold this precious baby….. now I was going to be a grandmother again… and I decided along with what the DR told me that I was not going to be this sick Grandmother who couldn’t hold or play with her grandkids…. I set out on induction and never looked back…. The weight that first year came off about 2 pounds a week for the most part… I started exercising and joined The Beginners Exercise Challenge…..the inches just started pouring off… I started being able to stand and do dish's and not have to sit down and rest but could do them until they were done! I could clean more…. I started exercising on my bike… at first only 10 min and my seat would go numb…. But now I can exercise for an hour if I so desire…. My blood pressure has come down….and Grandma is able to get down on the floor and play with her grandkids…let alone carry them up stairs! I still have weight to lose…the weight is not coming off as quickly…. But 100 pounds gone and I am still on my way to goal. Thanks to all the encouragement that I found on these boards and the determination in making a quality decision.

With me the keys are the encouragement from these boards!
Prayer
Drinking lots of water
EXERCISE
Keeping the carbs low
Keeping calories within reason
Posting menu’s and reading what others eat too
Keeping POSITIVE
Living in the moment enjoying the journey

I am enjoying wearing cloths that are not in the plus sizes… enjoying my body looking more fit and toned… Just enjoying life overall better then I had for years… now I don’t watch life go by me as I sit… but I am active and enjoying being apart of the action. I encourage all of you... give it your all... make that solid commitment to do this for you and just watch the results! Life is awesome

JeanieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: blboopsie
Stats: 279/260/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec. 29, 2002
I have been fighting weight all my life. Because I wanted children in the '70s I found Weight Watchers and lost 70 # in a year and was able to conceive and have my wonderful children. But with the birth of my last child my marriage began to fall apart and my former husband had heart by-pass surgery. I think all the stress of dealing with everything in my life just added weight until I was at least 250. Then I sat morbidly obese for at least 25 years, developed high blood pressure and then diabetes. I tried Weight Watchers again and then low fat diet. Both didn't work at all and added even more weight. My doctor was after me to lose this weight especially since my diabetes required more and more meds and my knees were giving out. Finally reaching 279 and I probably had gone over that and managed to drop off some, I got really mad as I realized that my life could come to an end much sooner than I wanted. I also realized that diabetes was like a sword hanging over my head. So in Dec. of 2002 I saw that Dr. Atkins had updated his diet plan and lots of people were having good success. I got the book and decided to sign on. DH also needed to lose 150# me 120#. So we really did well for the first 3 months losing about 30# then it began to slow but by the end of 2003 he had lost 60# and I had lost 45#. This year it is creeping off but I have dropped 55# and he has lost 70#. I know the first big loss contributed to lower blood pressure and I got to give up one pill and cut another one down. For my diabetes I am on one Actos and 2 glacophage and I hope to lose at least one of those as my blood sugar has been in the normal range for 9 months. I feel so much better and am pushing hard to drop below the 200#. That will be territory that I haven't seen for over 30 years. This board has meant the world to me. It keep me on track, focused and I have made some very dear friends. I really hope to meet more of you in the next few years. I sure appreciate that you do care for each other and me and that we have so much in common and share our neat experiences. to you all. Betty
blboopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: redslipper47
Stats: 241/202/160 Restart 253/235/160
Start Date: 1/7/2003 Restart: 1/1/2009
Jeanie H first let me say that this a great thread. Congrats to you on losing so much weight. YOu and Rae stories are truly inspiring.Edited to say Betty, loved reading yours too.

I started atkins on Jan. 2003. I remember weighing on New Year's day and realizing that I had gained another 10# over xmas. Only the biggest clothes I had fit ( or were the only thing I could get on.) I begin searching the net for something I could stick with. I had done stillman when I was very young and lost 25#. I found the Atkins site and thought this is something I could stick with. I was very lucky, about a week into the program I found the goldies. I had just started induction when my Aunt Died. She had lived with us and then two years in the nursing home. (She was 94) Her passing had such a prfound effect on me. I could see the handwriting on the wall. I was not an active person another more. At the time I was still working in a child care setting. I could hardly do my job any more. Thanks to the support of this BB I lost from 240 to 216 by May of 2003. I had not been exercising at all . My DD got me interested in Curves and Got me a one month Memebership. I loved it and have been exercising ever since.Tomorrow will be one year with them. I struggled all last summer and got down to 205. then With x-mas I gained up to 214. Somewhere I lost my strong committment and thought I guess this is the weight I am supposed to be at. You can talk yourself into anything. I have now found LFL and have a strong re-committment. I know that some of this is due to the No-Cheater challenge and also the Goldies LFL. I am happy to say I am now at 207.5

I guess what I feel now , is never give up. I really feel so much younger and am enjoying life. Now if I could just get my DH to exercise. LOL

Stay positve, we all can do it.Without all of you, I don't think I would have come this far. I would have giving up as usual. I know if you guys can do, so can I .love all of you

[COLOR=Red] Failure is giving up what you want most for what you want now.[/COLOR]
redslipper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CorgiGirl
Stats: 181/164.75/107/110
WOE: Atkins (began Atkins at 164.75)
Start Date: June 9, 2003
Thank you all for sharing your stories. They are inspiring. I was never overweight until I had my second child. I gained 35 lbs with her and had to fight really hard to get that weight off. When I was 40 years old, I was in the best shape of my life. I played serious racquetball, lifted weights, and jogged on a regular basis. My lowest weight then was 105 but I maintained between 115-118lbs. A couple of years later I changed jobs and while it was a great opportunity for me, it was extremely stressful. I started gradually gaining weight and ended up at my highest weight of 187lbs. Like other people, I had my share of adversity (death of a brother, my father, my mother, two auto accidents where my car was hit by other people, two spinal surgeries, one sugery the result of the 2nd car accident. Although I started many diets since then, I would lose a few lbs and then give up and regain the weight. In August 2002, I started a low fat/low calorie diet (at 181lbs) because I really wanted to be at goal weight by my 55 birthday. I hated being on the low fat/low calorie diet--I was sleepy all the time and had no energy and my weight yo-yo'd. I lost just under 17lbs on that diet over 9 months but was a very long way from my goal by my 55 b'day. I started Atkins June 9, 2003 and am very thankful to God for leading me to this WOL. I don't feel as if I have been on a diet at all. I have lost the weight slow but steady. My original goal was 125lbs but I dropped that to 120lbs which I attained this week. I am still a work in progress in that I would like to go down to 115lbs and then really concentrate on building muscle through weight training which is my favorite exercise.

Things that contributed to my success:

Strength and committment received from God
Following Atkins strictly (only 1 cheat day since starting Atkins)
Exercise (did not start a formal program until January 2004)
Drinking water throughout the day instead of diet coke
Keeping frankenfoods to a minimum (I use the SF syrups like Davincis and SF pickles. I had meal replacement bars a few times while going to school and have used the protein shakes but no SF candies or other processed type foods)
Finding low carb versions of favorite recipes

My favorite quote: "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" (Oprah Magazine)

Vickie
[color=green]Proverbs 3:5,6; Acts 2:37,38[/color]
CorgiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:59 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
I began my low carb life style 6 ago. I had lost weight on the Atkins plan back in the 1970's. I lost 14 pounds in two weeks, and got back down to 100 pounds. My problem was that I thought of it as a diet and not a lifestyle, and I went back to my old eating habits. Needless to say, over the years, I gained it back and then some!

When I was 155 pounds, at 5'1", I went on a low fat, low calorie plan and lost 15 pounds. I was hungry all the time and I felt just awful! My all-time high size was 14P when I weighed 155 pounds; at 140 pounds (after losing the weight with a low fat, low calorie plan) I wore a size 12P.

On top of the excess weight, my blood lipid levels were very high in spite of the low fat diet. I attribute that to good old genetics. My former physician wanted to put me on a cholesterol-lowing medication. Working in the medical profession for many years, I knew what those medications can do to a person's liver and refused. It was back to low carb for me.

I started with the Atkins program. I never felt deprived and lost the cravings after a month or so. I have never looked back! I lost the excess weight and have been maintaining my weight between 93 and 101 pounds for over 5 years. Now I wear a size 3/4 P!"

My lipid levels now put me at one half the average risk for heart disease, CVA and diabetes. My new physician and cardiologist are very happy and strongly recommend this way of life to many of their patients.

Here is a comparison of my blood lipid levels:

Before Low Carbing After Low Carbing
Total Cholesterol 285
LDL 189
HDL 32
Triglycerides 415

After Low Carbing
Total Cholesterol 238
LDL 138
HDL 98
Triglycerides 58

I never feel deprived or hungry, and I don't miss any of those high carbohydrate foods that put me at risk for heart disease, CVA, and diabetes. I think everyone should follow this wonderful and healthy way of eating for life!

Lots of people over the past three years have told me how very unhealthy this way of eating is. I just carry copies of my blood work and strut my stuff. I couldn't care less what those idiots think. And now I have many of them asking me all about low carbing. I've even converted a few!

Things that contributed to my success.

I NEVER cheated even though I was tempted to at times and would just crave things something awful. I just kept telling my self that the craving will go away whether I feed it or not so I just waited it out and drank water.

I never ate the processed low carb products either because they are mislabeled, contain hidden carbs and contain soy which harms the thyroid.

My advice? DON'T EVER CHEAT! It isn't worth going back and forth to induction and having ridding yourself of those nasty carb demons over and over again. Oh and what it does to your body is just awful. Think of those insulin spikes and what they do to you.

As far as stalls? Just wait them out. If you are doing the program by the book, the stalls will eventually end. The most important thing is to READ, READ, READ, and READ THE BOOK. Search out many low carb sites for information. STAY AWAY from legal treats until you are maintaining, and even then go easy on them. Drink your body weight in ounces of water and take the recommended supplements!
Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr

As Jack Nicholson said in the Bucket List "Somewhere right now, some lucky B*st*rd is having a heart attack"
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jewels
Ok, here goes....

I started gaining weight after I had my first baby. 15-20 lbs. Over the past 39.5 years, I bet I've lost and regained them at least 100x or more. I'm not kidding either. My high was 155 lbs. I'm just a hair under 5'2" It doesn't sound like much to some of you but here's my problem.

I have done just about every diet plan there is. I was always successful on them. I'm compulsive so I would stick to them to the tee. As soon as I would lose, I'd start eating just like I use to. I never ballooned up too high. 155 lbs. made me look bloated and I think I was in a size 14 at my highest.

My problem is keeping those darn lbs. off!!!!!!! I started low carbing in Sept. 2002. It lasted only a short time and then it was the holidays.

About this time, my sister developed diabetes. I read somewhere that if you had a sibling with it, you're chances of getting it are much, much higher. Higher than if a parent had it. Now, don't quote me on this because I can't even remember where I read that. Anyway, it scared me to death.

I was suffering something awful with GERD. They put the tube/light down my throat and found out I had a hiatal hernia, gastritis and esophagitis.(sp.?) I was in so much pain, and waking up so much at night, couldn't wear my bra past 3:00 in the afternoon. My jeans came off about the same time. I was just plain miserable. Of course I was on medication too. Taking double the norm even.

We went to Mexico on vacation in Feb. 2003 and the very day we returned I came back to this bb and have never looked back. I still take meds for the GERD but it's much better now. I'm hoping keeping my weight down will keep me from getting diabetes. I feel so fortunate to have found all of you. I would've lost the weight but I'm not so sure I would've kept it off. I've never maintained for more than a few days. This is a miracle!!! I do yoyo a few lbs. but that is natural water fluctuations. I just can't believe I've been able to maintain this weight. Even losing another 5 lbs. after my original goal.

It's [COLOR=red]YOU!!![/COLOR] Only you who have helped me stay here. God bless each and every one of you. Thank You!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:07 AM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: murflaw
Stats: 200/153/135
WOE: LC
Start Date: 01/05/04...restart 12/16/07
This is a great thread - Thanks for starting it Jeannie.

I'd like to suggest that we ask Cheri to make it a sticky - I'd hate to lose these stories. Would you do that Jeannie?

I'll be back later when I have more time to post my story.
-beth
murflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:28 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandy56
Stats: 252.5/242/150
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: 4/23/04
This is a wonderful idea. I started gaining weight with first dd - gained 60lbs. Just before I got pregnant with our 2nd dd I lost all the weight on low carbs. After I had her I lost right away (gained 60lbs with her too) - again with low carbs. Then I got pregnant with ds and gained 60lbs - again. I've had problems with weight ever since and my ds is going to be 26 in July. I jokingly say I still have "baby fat" but it's really not funny. I'm 56 now and I've been overweight most of our 35 yrs. of marriage. It not only affects looks but now also my health. I've been a terrible example to our 3 children - all have a weight problem.

I started low carbs again on April 23 of this year. To date I've lost 14 lbs and even though I'm happy about that I've weighed less before so right now I'm not real excited about the loss. That may not be the right way to look at it and I'm trying not to look at it that way but I weigh more now than I have in a long long time and I'm not happy about it at all. I have to take one day at a time I know and I will. I know this is a lifestyle. I can't eat sugar and flour and keep the weight off - I've tried so many different "diets" but they just don't work for me. I'm learning that I can do low carb and not feel cheated - I even eat low carb candy sometimes. As long as I don't eat to much I'm ok, if I eat to much it does not agree with me AT ALL.

Right now I don't crave anything and that is WONDERFUL. Before I craved sweets so much all I thought about was what I was going to eat next, caught myself binging on sweets way to often. I don't do that anymore. I could go all day without eating except I've had problems with low blood sugar so I have to eat and with low carbs I can eat small meals all day and still lose weight.

Thanks for listening and I give credit to anyone who stays with it. I know we can do this - we just can't give up! "One day at a time".

Sandy
Old 06-09-2004, 06:43 AM   #11

Gallery: la.lady
Stats: 184.8 /172.8/ 155/-5' 7"
WOE: God's Plan/ LC / Loving the way I feel!!
Start Date: 8/1/12 / I'm losing it, pounds that is !!!
Dr. Atkin's in the 70's

I begain my first try at Dr. Atkin's in the 70's. Of course this diet was not popular at this time and people said that you can't lose weight on it. It really got a bad rep.
Well to start off I lost 17 lbs. that first week and I should have kept up with it all these years.
At the time I had babies and did a lot of cooking for company, so needless to say I got off of it.
Well about two and a-half years ago my Sister-In- Law got on it.
She did so good that I thought I would give it a try again.
Less go back to how I was feeling before I started. My Blood Pressure was high, high Chol. high Trig. and I felt extrememly tired all the time.
I couldn't wear the clothes I wanted to and I just didn't like the way I looked.
I haven't lost a whole lot of weight yet, but I have lost a lot of inches.
I fell so much better now that I am back on this and I know it is a life long way of eating.
Good luck to all of you and much success.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:31 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pjnz
same old same old

my story is the same as most - slim and active as a youngster, then a gradual weight gain, but i really feel a major prob for me was using depo-provera as a contraceptive after the births of both of my children - i am certain of this now after going back on HRT recently and regaining 10kgs without any change in eating!!! - that was a tremendous shock - but proof to me that hormones (probably estrogen) are a big problem for me. I started Atkins (again after a not particularly serious attempt in the 70's) in 2001 (Jan) so 4 years for me soon. I read the book and did the blood test thing before starting - terrible results - type 2 diabetes, ridiculously high cholesterol, shocking triglycerides - and me at 5'3" and about 210 lbs give or take a few on better (or worse) days. My family was not too happy with this change in my diet - all the dire warnings re 'fad' dieting were flung at me - i compromised and told them that if, after 3 months, my blood levels were better i would stop. (I must admit at that time, after seeing what other people could and did lose in 3 - 6 months), me, in my usual state of food denial, thought that 3 months should just about do it for the diet thing so eating could go back to 'normal' (aka out of control) again. Well, I'm still losing - not a fast loser at all, but in many ways - now- i feel that is a good thing as it gives us time to adapt and adopt lc as a wol. I have lost about 35 kgs now (thats heading for 80lbs), I have no interest (and surprisingly have never) in cheating, i stay at about 40-50g of carbs a day and almost all of that in veges, salad, lc fruits etc - i always thought i would add bread back in, but had half of a slice about a year ago and felt terrible for days - talk about eating glue!) I have always been a Diet Queen - you name it i tried it (temporarily)- but too me perhaps the most compelling reason for staying on track was that original 3 month blood followup - everything was normal! no longer a health disaster, and more energy and vim than i have had for years. I weigh around the 130lb mark now, i wear a size 10 UK, I think that is about a 6-8 for you guys, my bust size down from a 24
DD to a 16C (UK) and life is good! Mostly i think that the thing that is most important to me is that i have taken control of my life again - no longer berating myself for being 'weak' and spineless - in fact in many ways i feel angry now that for so many years we have listened to health professionals and the 'food triangle' that is so good for us - NOT!!!!
good luck to you all - stay strong and stay positive
Old 07-10-2004, 03:40 PM   #13

Gallery: fla gal 57
Stats: yr.2000--325 lbs. now in yr. 2004 215 lbs.
Start Date: nov. 2000
i began my low catrb diet over three yrs, ago and did really well with it, i know its the only diet that i could ever lose weight with. i am also a diabetic type 2, am not on insulin but really have to watch the carbs or my sugar will go way up fast.
i lost most my weight before i had to have multiple back surgeries for herniated disc, but before the surgeries i was in so much pain and i knew i had to lose it for my back or i was going to end up in a wheel chair the rest of my life and i didn't want that. so i had the surgeries to repair some of the disc and leg pain i had so bad and during that time i was layed up for over 6 months and did gain some back but since have lost it and now fighting to lose the rest of it. i was way over 300 lbs. when i began and now nearing 200lbs. which i feel has been a life saver to me. i now can wear clothes i haven't worn for many years and get out and swim and do some exercise and enjoy life more.
for me keeping my carbs low was easier at first than it is now for me. the weight came off fast then to but now just creeps off. maybe a lb. or so a month and sometimes not even that anymore.
i got rid of all junk food from my kitchen and only keep low carb foods now in it and thats helped me mostly i think. i plan my meals out now with a weekly menu plan and i read and check all labels in the stores whenever i buy anything. i made up a low carb cook book and keep that handy and read it often to try new recipes. i go to the recipe site and print up the ones i want and then i put them all in a binder note book.
i also go on the board alot and write my friends for support to.
i feel that i fight this battle of the buldge everyday of my life and will until i lose it all and even after that to.
but i lost it mostly for my health, my back mainly, and i now feel so much better than i have in years. yes i still have arthritis of the spine and my back still hurts alot but at least my legs are in walking mode now and i don't need that wheel chair much anymore. i swim just about everyday now and do what exercise i can and that feels good to for me.
i have amazed my doctors of all the weight i have lost. most doctors don't like atkins low carb, they think its bad but i know its been great for me and my back and sugar, and high blood pressure. my doc did put me on vitamins because of a low posstasium level but other wise the low carb has been good for me no matter what others say about it.
i hear so many things about how bad it is for you that i could scream sometimes, i think the ones who thinks its bad is the ones who have failed with it...........
well thats my story............
i will keep on going until i lose it all to.

what a great site tis is and reading everyones testimonies..
fla gal 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:28 AM   #14
Biddy

Gallery: Biddy
Hi, I am new to this site, and am not sure of the protocol so apologize if I inadvertantly step on somebodies toes. I have been dabbling in low carb dieting for a couple of years now, losing 10-12 lbs, then regaining and losing again. I started at 205 and this am weighed 194.5, so am not making much progress. my new commitment was made about 6 weeks ago at 199.5 so in that time have re lost 5 lbs, am being really faithful this time but because of the yo-yo abuse my body is being very stubborn, but thus far have not lost heart. Perhaps that is because of how good high pro-lowcarb eating makes me feel. I have an acid reflux problem and by not eating sugars and starches I seldom have to even take so much as one Rolaid. As I say to my husband, even if I don't lose any weight, how I feel on this method of eating makes it worth while and perhaps over time the weight will slink away. After all i did not gain it overnight so I can't expect it to go away any faster than it crept on. What i have seen so far in this site is very encouraging and plan to stick around awhile if you will have me. Biddy
Old 07-14-2004, 11:55 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cutevic
Stats: 429/357/229-199?
WOE: Atkins...GLA?CLA
Start Date: March 8, 2003
I'm ready now...

...to give my testimony.
I've been here a few weeks already and I figured today is as good as any to share a little about myself.

My health was my main reason for trying Atkins. I had to retire early because of it. I was continually going from one illness to another. It wasn't until I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, 3yrs. ago, that I said to myself that I had to try and do whatever it took to get my life back and get back control of it. I've had 2 potential life threatening diseases, that I came through without incident. I had radiation for the cancer, and I'm cancer free.

It was at that moment, I'd said to myself that God had seen it fit to keep me here and I wanted to stay. I'd been hearing about Dr. A for years but never really "heard" him. I decided too give it a try,(March '04) what did I have to lose, except of course some weight. I'd made up my mind to give it 100%, my all. From that point this woe/wol has been extremely easy for. Cheating has never been an option for me. I still can't believe I've come this far, from 429 lbs. to 278 lbs. I still have a ways to go, but I know I'll get there. The best thing about all this is that I have control again, actually more control than I ever had.

I have the best Dr. ever. He is behind me 100%, and is very proud of me. Am I lucky or what?

I thank Dr. A. for giving me my life back, and for the new and improved me. It only gets better from here.

I want to thank you all for allowing me to share my story with you, and for you all sharing yours with me.

to you all. Vicki

recommit-refocus back to all time low of 257#

Having a goal is a state of happiness...~E.J. Bartek~
cutevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:30 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandy56
Stats: 252.5/242/150
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: 4/23/04
WOW!!! What a testimony and a tribute to how the Lord can work in our lives. You make me want to try harder. I haven't been doing very well at all. I know I have to make a committment to do this all the way or not at all. That's all there is to it. I thank you for your testimony, it's helped more than you'll ever know.

Sandy
Sandy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Verleen
Stats: 195/135/135
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 2004
Seriously diabetic

In February 2003, I read about the Atkins diet in the newspaper and decided to try it. I got the book and followed the Induction menus religiously for those two weeks. At the start of the diet, I was taking the maximum allowed oral meds for diabetes. After a week, I didn't need any meds at all. After two weeks, I lost 18 lbs. So I know how beneficial this diet is to a diabetic. It is important for a diabetic to monitor their blood sugar before taking meds because this diet produces results so quickly. However, for me, all the cooking had a negative affect because of a neuro-muscular disease (I use a power wheelchair). I ended up bed ridden from all the cooking I did and the diet fell to the wayside. I am trying to find a way for me to do this diet. I know there must be a way to do it.
Verleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #18

Firt of all. Are you type 1 or type 2 diabetic? My daughter is type 1 and that means she can't do it by diet alone. She has a pump that controls her blood sugar. If you are type 2 then this diet should be good for you.
la.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:00 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Suej1946
Stats: started at 186 . Now at 162. goal 155
WOE: Atkins low carb
Start Date: August 2003
low carb

I started low carb , well it will be a year in Aug. I started at 186 and am now at 162 with a goal of 155. I just got tired of looking at my fat belly which I still have.
I had half of my colon out and a cyste from my liver so I am cut all the way down from under my breasts to below my naval. I then had surgery again in my stomach for mulitple hernias so I find it hard to exercise my belly at all. still sore from scar tissue after all these years.
I saw myself getting closer to 60 and saw an image in the mirrow that I didnt recognize or like very much. I was getting fatter and fatter and much to close to 200 lbs.
I take meds for high blood pressure and for cholestorol. My cholestorol at start of atkins was 199 (with meds) now its down to 167 (with meds).
thats why I did it and am trying very hard to continue it. I just want to be one person insted of 2.
Suej1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #20
Biddy

Gallery: Biddy
Hang in there

hi Suej, what a testamonial!!! Hang in there, it sounds like you are on the right track. Someone with so many obstacles to overcome is an inspiration to us all. Check out " oxycise.com" the breathing exercises may help you strengthen your stomach muscles. Biddy
Old 07-23-2004, 10:37 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

thanks

Ah thanks Biddy. but a lot of people on here have it worse then me Im sure. Im fine now.
thanks again. you made me smile.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:04 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Verleen
Stats: 195/135/135
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 2004
Way to go Suej! You are doing good with the diet. Its amazing what a change the diet can make.

Patty, I'm a Type 2 diebetic and when I did Atkins for a little over a month in 2003, I went off diabetes meds completely because my blood sugar stabilized in the normal range. I was on the highest dosage possible. The next step was insulin. Also my triglyc. plummeted to normal and cholesterol dropped. My doctor was initially against this 'dangerous' diet, but was changing her mind after my blood test results.
Verleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:04 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

thanks

Verleen thank you. It seems like every day is a struggle. its really hard isnt it. I always see something good I want and especially at work when the girls order out every day.
I guess we all need to take it a day at a time and be very proud of ourselves when we do it insted of getting so frustrated.

Have a good weekend.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:20 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Hi, I mostly lurk nowdays but wanted you to know how much I have enjoyed your testimony thread. My story is very similar to many of yours. I've been a "yo-yo" dieter ever since I can remember. My highest weight was 166 lbs. and am now at my lowest adult weight. My first memories of dieting was low calorie and then low fat. This is the first time I have been successful at lowcarb. Generally I can keep it off for awhile and then I get careless. Maintenance is a job for me and I do hate having to watch everything I eat but I must say I can eat a lot more than I ever imagined and still not gain weight. At the point I started lowcarb I was getting through menopause and was told by my doctor that losing weight would not get any easier, and chances are my weight would just continue to rise if I didn't do something about it. In general, my health was very good. I did have some minor problems but nothing much to complain about. I just simply didn't desire to be fat or get any bigger than my Size 14's. Once I got the proper mindset to start lowcarb, there was no turning back. I stuck with it religiously through all phases. Actually, I lost so much more than I even intended and it was easy. It must have done miracles for my metabolism because now I can eat about 2000 calories/day and up toward 100 carbs.

The thing that kept me going was the ease with which I lost the weight and finding light yogurt. It got me through a few slow spells and I still eat it a couple of times a day. I got sick a couple of months ago with a ruptured appendix and let my weight drop to about 91 lbs. I really looked bad and so wrinkled. I have gained back up to 97 lbs and seem to be keeping it in check. I decided I would be happy as long as the scale stayed under 100. I have sort of headed my maintenance program in to the direction of South Beach. I try to stay active and exercise. I have gotten rid of all my "big clothes' over a Size 4 and hopefully will not have to ever buy any more sizes any larger.

I think I mostly wanted to post to say, IT CAN BE DONE and to congratulate each and everyone of you on your progress. I think a positive mindset and the eventual loss of desire for many carby foods has been my best weapon. I have no desire for pasta, rice, potatoes but still have problems with sugar. Thank God for Splenda and Z-Carb bars, as well as many great veggies, berries, lean meats, and water.

Thanks for letting me post.

Ann

Jonah gets a kiss from little Sister.
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gerard
For the story of myself and wife, click below
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/carbsmart/glny.html
gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:51 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shirl1
Stats: 200/180/140
Start Date: restart 1/1/07
I started low carb a year ago, after finding out I had type 2 diabetes. I have lost about 20 lb's, but I have been on and off. I am really trying now. I found it is the only way I can keep the low blood sugar reading's.
Shirley
Shirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katydid
Stats: 197/197/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: December 2004 (again)
I have so enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread. And want to join in congratulating everyone of you! They are encouraging me to climb back up on the wagon. I had convinced myself that I could and would keep this up on my own without any regular checking in to the boards. But that just hasn't happened. My husband had two knee surgeries this summer and there were many trips to the city where we always seemed to eat out. My Mom (now passed away) was in the nursing home here and my sisters would make alternate visits which would always decend into me eating what I shouldn't. These are really not being stated as excuses, just reasons. I know that circumstances and other people are not responsible for what I eat.

I believe I have started this WOE at least 3 previous times. (loose track) but the last one for sure wasn't long enough nor intense enough to achieve anything notable. I really like what Love Montana said about not cheating... not once. I make so many excuses "for just this once". The results are evident in my size and health. While in California for my Mom's internment a picture was taken of the family together. I was shocked at my size! could hardly believe that looking in the mirror can be so deceptive. The point is something MUST be done and I'm the only one who can do it. I have even changed physicians to one who not only approves of this program but has been on it herself for five years!! That is too much good fortune to waste.

I see myself in so many of the posts. I have GERD and it has been worse than ever lately . That remark about being able to wear a bra only until about mid afternoon sounds painfully familiar. I am on B/P meds, though the lowest dose posible. I don't even bother to check it anymore because I'm sure it's too high. I've just begun riding my stationery bike again and getting back to the water which I know is an absolute necessity. I've started recording in my ****** again and the last two days have been a good restart. I will try to be faithful to check back here regularly, because it really is encouraging to at least read.

I know many of you have been in my same situation and I see wonderful successes. Surely I can manage that too.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #28

I had my first bout with Atkin's in the 70's when Dr. Atkin's came out with his book. I lost 17 pounds the first week. Wouldn't you think that I would have stuck with it.
The second time I got on Atkin's was Dec. 2003. At that time my Sister-In- Law was on it for three and a-half weeks and she looked so good already. This was motivation....
I have restarted Feb. 6th of this year, because I just felt so bad and gained so much weight.
What really motivates me, is knowing I am going to be healthy and not having the severe mood swings that I was having.

Put God First....
Drink water....
Write to our LC Friends....
Stick to our plan...
Get some form of exercise evey day...
Be happy.....
la.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:05 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BarbaraJ
Stats: 150/132/112
Start Date: Jan 2005
On Jan 1, 2004 I started Atkins because I was tired of feeling the way I was and had put on about 40 pounds, I knew I had to do something about it. At that time my 32 year old son who is PWS and living home with us was diagnosed with Diabetes. So started checking this out. My Mother who also lives with us and my daughter who lives in town also started Atkins with me. My husband didn't have a choice. I got rid of all the foods that were not acceptable, I donated it to a local shelter. After the initial 2 weeks we were estatic with the results, felt better, losing lots of inches and weight. Having a blast trying all the new ways to eat right. By May, my sons diabetes medicine was dropped in half and he had lost 30 pounds. My daughters knees had quit hurting her so bad and she was losing weight also. My Mom went down 3 dress sizes, but only lost about 10 pounds. I went down in size and weight, but mostly felt wonderful. On June 19 the day after my birthday, I had a heart attack and had to be flown across the mountain to the hospital. After surgury, I asked the doctor why I had a heart attack and he had told me that all those years of not taking care of myself was the problem. My husband had immediatly asked the doc if it was because of my 'atkins way of eating' the doctor admantly said no it was not because of the diet I was on now. Problem being, I went back to my old ways of eating and so did eveyone else. Now I am back where I was in the begining and trying to change that. I joined this board because I had heard so much about it from other sites. ( I am a great lurker). Now I am addicted to reading everything here and learning as much as I can. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to tell my story.
BarbaraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:56 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TeeKaylo
Stats: 229/133/133 *goal - 10/19/04*
WOE: Dr. Atkins 'maintenance'
Start Date: March 23. 2003
It seems like I should have some magical weight loss formula. But there is no such formula except for determination plus believing equals success.

Knowing you face a task of losing almost one hundred pounds is almost impossible to describe. Anyone who has been there knows. It is like standing in front of the tallest mountain.

What I did have was a firm belief in Dr. Atkins. And a belief that I could do almost anything if I wanted it enough. And I did.

When I started first reading posts I was inspired by Linda and Jezzie because they, like me, seemed to be true believers that this plan works. It had taken a lot of reading on my part to decide on the Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution.
I felt skipping around from plan to plan would be bad for my body so I was glad I found the right one in the beginning.

In the beginning it was hard sometimes. After a while it just became a habit and now it just it feels right.

During the ongoing weight lose phase I never went above the eating beans stage. Most of my extra carbs came from more vegetables, nuts, and berries. I never limited my food, my fat, or went hungry.

My exercise was walking for twenty minutes four times a week. I never counted my water intake but I am sure I had six or seven glasses a day.

Now that I am at goal I may add some vegetables like lima beans or sweet potatoes once in a while. Or even some fruits like grapes and peaches. But mostly I will stay with the same foods that got me here.

My significant other , as they are called these days, is out of town frequently which made it easier in some ways. But I also did miss out on the daily support and encouragement.

The only regret I have is that I did not lose the caboose that got me the nickname Kay-lo.

This is my first (and likely last) speech. I hope it may help even one person stay the course. It is worth it just for the health benefits alone.

Kate

---- Those who have nothing to say chatter endlessly. ---- Chinese proverb
TeeKaylo is offline   Reply With Quote