Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Golden Years
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MsMoneypenny
Low Carb Testimony's

Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm from Canada and live in the province of Quebec. Just turned 64 and have decided to get back into low carb after having tried several low fat or low calories diets with no success at all. I currently weigh about 205 :blush: and I'm only 5'5" so this is not good. I had lost some weight before on low carb (about 25 pounds) my starting weight was 185 at the time, and was so proud of myself. But, unfortunately, gained it all back. My goal weight is probably 140-145. I think slow and steady will win the race for me this time. I would like to be healthy when I retire next year. Will keep you posted.

Penny

Last edited by MsMoneypenny; 05-17-2010 at 11:35 AM..
MsMoneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PeachyLogic
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 05/21/2010
Just dropping in to say hello and to introduce myself. I'm new to the board, I'm 57 and have about 150 pounds to lose.
PeachyLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MsMoneypenny
Testimonials

Welcome PeachyLogic,

I started back on low carb a few weeks ago. Have about 55-60 pounds to lose.

Good luck on your weight loss journey .... we can encourage one another
MsMoneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #124
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda0902
Stats: 180/179/130
WOE: just low-carb
Start Date: May 1, 2010

Hi, Everyone!
I am a new member and I just want to say hello
I'm 63 and need to lose about 50 lbs. I started low-carbing about 6 years ago after seeing George Stella on the Food Network, and reading Dana Carpender's book. However, I gave it up because I had alot of trouble with constipation.
About 6 weeks ago (May 1, 2010), a friend of mine confided that she had started South Beach, and she got me interested. I did the Phase 1, but only lost a few pounds. I really struggle with drinking lots of water, and I think that is hindering me. Also, I've read that coffee tends to dehydrate you, so I'm only allowing myself one cup a day.
I'm a grandma of one special little girl (2 years old) named Kyrrie. My hubby & I have been married 40 years. We have a daughter (Kyrrie's mom), a SIL, and an unmarried son, and we all live under the same roof! This requires lots of prayer!
Linda
Linda0902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: modon69478
Stats: 143/132.4/118
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2010
Linda,

I don't like the taste of plain water, so I trick myself into drinking it. One of my favorites is filling the glass about 1/8th of the way with Diet 7 up, then with water the rest of the way. You can also try the powders they sell at the supermarket - the Arizona tea company has a Sugar Free Lemonade powder - just a little bit goes a long way! Maybe by adding the extra water into your diet will help with your bathroom problem -- Good Luck!

Michele
modon69478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #126
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda0902
Stats: 180/179/130
WOE: just low-carb
Start Date: May 1, 2010
Water

Hey, thanks, Michele. That was very helpful!
Linda
Linda0902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Testimonials - New Member

Hello all,
Oh Boy, am I glad I found this site and all you wonderful folks! It is just what I need. So much inspiration here.

I'm 56, and have done the classic "gain 5 lbs a year" since I was 40, quit smoking 3 yrs ago, post-menopause, ex-carb fanatic (crackers!) and here I am. I have 70 lbs to lose.

With quitting smoking at same time as DH, we have a lot of "those were the days" stories...and now that is going to hold true as far as my old eating habits.

A doctor appointment on August 6 FINALLY motivated me.

Good luck and good losing to you all!!
Nancy
LIVE_FREE_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #128
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stubbins
Stats: 190/145/150
WOE: pseudo paleo
Start Date: January 2005
I've been on my path of discovery and development for 5 years now. I feel that I'm almost there, but I will never stop learning and trying to improve my health of body and mind.
The internet has changed my life in a way I could never have anticipated. I wouldn't be as aware of how the quality of life can be radically improved with good diet, exercise and nutrition, without the world wide web.
It's good to be alive, positive and be posting here.
stubbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobbie2545
Stats: 171/167/145
WOE: none yet
Start Date: 8/17/2010
First post.

Please be patient with me. This is my first post and I have no idea what I'm doing. I want to try low carb eating because carbs are what seems to get me binging. I'm the full time and only caregiver for my Mom who is 96 and has many health issues at this time. I'm new to this way of eating although Mom is diabetic and I've watched her diet for many years. I'm careful to count her carbs and be sure she has protein with her carbs. Anyway, I'm going to be doing a lot of reading on this board and hope to get to know you.
Thanks,
Bobbie
Bobbie2545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #130
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hybridguy
My little by little success

This is my second post.

Ten years ago I read the Atkins book and did the induction and followed the plan closely and ended up losing 35 pounds. Over the years I let it go and gained it all back plus some and got up to 260. But I never forgot how successful it was.

I started the plan again about 4 weeks ago and it has been and is working great. I psyched myself up for a month leading to induction. I ate all of the remaining carb foods I had in the house before only buying what I knew would be the turning point. I kept in my mind I that would be able to eat until I was satisfied. There is one that helps you when you get older and its that you lose your sweet tooth a Little bit. At least that's the way it is for me.

I'm not sure why but I didn't weigh myself when I started. My first goal was to lose enough to where people would notice. But I did measure my waist(46.5"). I measured yesterday at 42.5". It is a great feeling when your clothes
starting getting loose. One big thing I have noticed that I wasn't expecting.
My appetite has has dropped significantly. I don't want to rant on but just to say I am very dedicated to the process and when I get close to 200, then I will weigh myself. I'll post later as to what I have been eating.
hybridguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #131
SMP
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SMP
Stats: 300/220/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 2000
Glad it's working for you again, Guy, and I concur that losing your sweet tooth comes with aging.
SMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Low Carb since 2000 - lost 50 pounds and kept it off

I went low-carb at the turn of the century. Both my parents died from fat diseases, and I saw that as a possible future.

I tried many different diets, including near starvation, and kept gaining weight.

Low-carb took 50 pounds off me. I now fluctuate between -40 and -50, usually closer to the -50.

At one time it was easy to find low-carb products, they were everywhere, health food stores, and even major grocery stores. Now it isn't as easy and sadly we don't have the selection we used to have.

I miss some of the products from companies like Keto and Carb-O-Lite. But with a bit of work, there are still things to find (thanks to the Internet).

I'm healthier now, my blood work is good, and I'm happy.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #133
SMP
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SMP
Stats: 300/220/160
Start Date: Nov 2000
I lost 80 lbs starting in 2000-01, but did regain about 30. However, some of that was due to water gain from a heart condition, and today I was down 13 lbs from a few weeks ago, meaning I am closing in on the 80 lb loss once again. Over the years I have stuck with Atkins, with a few notable variations, and it continues to work w/o a great deal of effort. But I have never resumed my grain-rich former diet, and avoid most wheat products and dairy completely. Being celiac has turned out a blessing.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCNana
Stats: 141.5/140/130
WOE: Paleo Nutrition
Start Date: October 2010
Hi Everyone. I'm back giving low carb another try now that I've discovered this section of Low Carb Friends - I mean you "Goldies!" I'm 65, and while I don't have much weight to lose I do have problems with low blood sugar when I eat carbs, and also aversion to wheat and grains. And, of course, it goes without saying that once I start eating carb/sugar/fat combos like pie, cookies, cinnamon toast etc. I'm GONE!!

I'm not celiac but blow up like a balloon when I eat wheat/grains, or even too many veggies. It seems impossible to me that even though I grew up eating Wonder bread, potatoes and pasta, over the years I've become intolerant of this stuff.

I've tried to go back to eating 'normal' foods so many times because I seem to think there is something wrong with being picky and not eating all the wonderful foods Our Dear Lord has provided for us...but I guess He's also given us these digestive trials!! And He's given us the brains to do something about it too!!

What has drawn me here is the spirit of the group, the patience I read here in the posts, and the friendship. So my goals are: to eat good, plain food that agrees with my digestive system which is meat/fish/eggs, lots of fat, and add in veggies one at a time to see how I do with them. I'd like to lose a few pounds but nothing big. My weight goal is 130 lbs. This morning I'm 137, and as I've shrunk a bit over the years I'm now topping 5'5" with a medium/small build.

I know that even losing 7 lbs is harder and harder at my age, coupled with the fact that I'm no longer willing to starve myself! But slow and steady is the game here right?

I'm in Ontario Canada, and it's a sunny but windy day - not too cold at just below 0.
LCNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dancind
Stats: 192/165/140
WOE: Primal
Start Date: Feb 2010
I'm new and I guess that this is the place to say hello. Looking for an active board, and this seems like my spot.

I'm Diana, age 57. At the beginning of the year I weight about 190 pounds. I watched Oprah's special on diabetes in February and realized I fit the profile to a T and was having a lot of the symptoms. Pre-diabetic Type II, along with my Dad and brother. So I started low carbing and lost 30 pounds in about six months. I've pretty much been the same weight since August, and I need to lose a little more.

I don't check blood sugar, haven't seen the doctor about it, but I will soon. I really wanted things to look better before I did that!

Here to encourage, and get some encouragement too. Pretty sure what my problem is, wine and too many nuts, and not enough movement. A recent addiction to chocovin is killing off my good work, so that needs to go.

Looking forward to chatting.

Last edited by dancind; 12-10-2010 at 01:50 PM..
dancind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #136
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rip Ragged
Howdy. I'm new here. I didn't go low-carb to lose weight.

I had my annual physical and my blood sugar was 398. I've known about low-carb diets for most of my life, but I've never been able to turn my nose up to a cold beer.

398 scared the bejabbers out of me. Beer is a part of my past.

And, while weight loss isn't the primary goal - diabetes control is - I'm pretty sure I'm going to need some new pants pretty soon.
Rip Ragged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #137
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paula38
WOE: moderate carbs, calories
Hi and hello to all of you....

I have 25 lbs to lose and I'm not good at exercise. I'm 72 and in pretty good health, but lazy when it comes to exercise. So, hopefully, this will be a good site and we can support each other.
paula38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TenaciousCyn
Stats: 243/170/170
WOE: HCG/Low Carb
Start Date: 03/012012
Another LCer

Hi everyone; been off and on LC lifestyle since 2004 - my lowest as an adult was 145 (early 20's before children) and my highest was 260 after child #4. I have committed myself to living healthier and getting below 200 so that I can incorporate movement into my plan. My knees kill me and I just cannot inflict any more pain on myself until I get some weight off.

My mom (now 76) has many health issues that I don't wish to deal with in 20 years..so it's NOW or never for me. I have tried all types of eating plans, diets and they just don't work.

NOTHING tastes as good as HEALTHY feels! I wish everyone MUCH success!
TenaciousCyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #139
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/140/130
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
Hi everyone ...

I just "discovered" this group - and since I'm 66 I guess I'm in my "golden years" ...

I've been low-carbing for about 17 years, it's second nature now - both my husband and I eat this way, doubt that we have knowingly eaten processed sugar for at least 12 or so years - but it gets harder and harder to keep my weight where it belongs Maybe it's got something to do with our steaks and cream-based sauces, ya' think??? Anyway, I want to lose about 10 pounds or so, I fit a size 8 but would be happier in a 6 ...

I exercise (walking/biking/kayaking) but not anything really rigorous - retirement has made me lazy!

Tomorrow I am starting iodine drops (Iosol) - anyone here try this? It was suggested in one of my alternative medicine newsletters - and since I am frequently cold with very low blood pressure, maybe I need it (try getting a doctor to seriously look at your thyroid if you're not overweight!) - and being cold in southern Florida is unusual ....

I've been low-carbing since 01/01/1994 (weighed >200#) - reached my goal weight in 1995 (125#) - maintained with a few blips (gaining up to 160#) along the way - lost weight on HCG but hated the no-fat! - now up about 10 pounds and looking for a solution!
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #140
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fire27503
Stats: 157/136/125
Start Date: Restart date: Feb. 25, 2013
I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Susan I'm 60...just turned 60 this past Sunday. Been married to my DH forty years this October. We have have 3 grown children and 5 grandchildren, Our youngest granddaughter Isabella (4yrs old) stays with us a lot . I've been reading all of your post and you're all such inspirations! I started doing low carb since April of this year. Some days are better than others. But I've reduced a lot of inches and about 15 lbs.
fire27503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #141
Junior LCF Member

bkm, Bonnie, Hi I'm really interested in the iodine drops. What info can you share with me.:
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeluver1
Start Date: January 2014
Hello to all of you

Well,I joined and quit weight watchers for the,I really do not know how many times. I have been here before,you are all so nice. I feel better eating the low carb way. so why do I keep messing up. None of my family like the lc plan,and I let them convince me it is not good. I have got to stick with it this time,at 59 years old, bad knees. I need help! I will appreciate messages from all of you...Thanks,sue
coffeeluver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carolis60
Stats: 186/172/150
WOE: Protein Powder
Start Date: July 2011
Hello fellow LCers,
I just found this site and thought I'd jump right in.
I'm 62, so I guess I could be called I'm in my Golden years... But I'm a young senior! Age is just a number! Bad knees and hips, but keep on moving.

Been married for 43 years, have 2 daughters, and 4 grand daughters. Oldest just graduated from UCI and is starting her Phd program. Second is starting Jr. College. Youngest (twins) are sophmores in hs. Hubby is retired and we like to camp and go for rides on his motorcycle. I tole paint most days (it's my passion) and sell on line. That keeps me busy, but I do sit a lot. Started my walking a few weeks ago to see if that will change anything. This is an experiment.

I've been off and on LC since 2004. I always feel so much better eating this way. I did join WW for 1 1/2 years and lost enough to reach Lifetime. Stayed at 18 points for about a year and all was good.

But Dr found cysts on my ovaries an took me off my estrogen....this was 3 years ago. Been having them checked to make sure they weren't growing and the last test came back normal. So now I'm dealing with the 25 pound gain the was the result from this. Crying jags have stopped, thankfully, but I'm still dealing with hot flashes. I'm so sick of wearing wet blouses around the house all day!!! I have 6 tank tops and that's all I wear. I wet them and put them on...when it dries, I wet it again. It's much better then ice cube down the bra. I keep a fan on me all the time. My dh has been so supportive of me during the last 3 years, I've frozen him so many times. He's all bundled up and I'm in shorts and a wet tank.

I retired when this all started, so I'm at home now. I started walking 4 weeks ago and have logged 49 miles. I can't run, I have exercise asthma. I've been leaving at 6am to try and beat the heat. I'm already hot when I shut the front door to leave. I started with 3 miles and have worked my way up....today, a new record for me over 5 miles. Yeah!!

I usually go to water aerobics and I love it, but decided it was not getting rid of the spare tire. I just started LC a week ago and have lost 4 pounds. Thought with all this walking I might lose some inches and some weight too.

Sue--I've was on WW so many time, I lost count. It took me forever the last time, but I stuck it out. Eating 18 points wasn't very much, but I made it to 150, the top of the lifetime for someone my age and height. I felt great, I could fit in all my 12's and some size 10's. I'd look in the mirror and think it was someone else. I really felt so good! So that's my long term goal. Short one is 2 pounds.

Stick with this LC with me, I need all the help and encouragement I can get.

Susan-- Congratulations! A lot of inches and 15 pounds sound so good to me!! Keep up the great work. I'm hoping to get a waist back some day!

Bonnie--It might take a while at our ages to lose, but I'm sure your 10 pound loss can be done. Keep us posted!

There are quite a few posts, but they are older, so hopefully we can keep this going.

Let everyone know what you ate for the day and what helped you get through another day.

I'm trying to stay below 20 carbs. I just finished a pumpkin shake for breakfast. Taste like a piece of pumpkin pie. Thinking it's 8-9 carbs, but it sure fills me up till about 1pm.

Been nice chatting. Catch ya later!
Carol
Carolis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #144
Junior LCF Member

Hi Carol I'm glad to meet you. Having friends to talk to and support helps immensely when trying to lose the pounds. and To quote you "Stick with this LC with me, I need all the help and encouragement I can get" My feelings exactly my friend.
Please share your pumpkin shake recipe with me.

I work full time as a mammographer at an extremely busy radiology clinic. I have an elliptical and a stationary bike.
I also use a kettle bell and a hula loop for exercise or I luv to just put some oldies music on the stereo and dance my butt off ....
But all of that is only when I have any energy left when I get home from work.

I try to stay between 20 and 30 carbs a day. I went over yesterday eating jumbo breaded shrimp. Oh but they were sooooooo yummy!!

Hi Patches! and Hi Bonnie! Hi TenaciousCyn! and Hi Paula ! I'm so happy to meet you all and I hope we can all be friends and support team for each other.

Susan
Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #145
Junior LCF Member

Hi all,
Would love to join this group...I've been on and off low carbing, but because I've been off more than on, I've gained lots of weight....been low carbing a week now and have dropped 2 pounds...probably water. Paula
Old 12-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Good morning
Have been low carbing for a long time and have lost 40+ pounds and would like to lose another 10 to be at my goal of approx. 125. Have tried other ways of eating, but always come back to low carb because it works for me and is something that I can stay with.
Hope all have a great day
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #147
Junior LCF Member

Hi hopetolose.....welcome. Paula
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Hi Paula.
Glad to meet you. Hope we have a good low carbing Thursday.
Hope
Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Paula,
Congrats on your loss. 2# is great.
Hope
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #150
Junior LCF Member

Hi hope to lose,
Wasn't too good tonight....went out with neighborhood "girls" for a girls night out....first time for me in many years....Had a chocolate martini....only 1 per year....and a burger with no bun.....guess I'll weigh on Monday.....
Nice to visit with you. Paula