LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joy24
Stats: 213 1st Mini goal 185 Goal 170
WOE: WOE Induction
Start Date: restart 01/25/2008
low carb testimonies

Hi my names Joy i started atkins diet in 2003 I was 278 then now Im at 207. i lose right about 70lbs or so. i was a size 22-24 now a size 14. I restarted Induction again about 11 days ago and Nothing came off. I need to drop another 40lbs and im stalling now. Im doing what i did 3 yrs ago I been able to maintain my weight for this long low carbing now I got strick again. does anyone know why this is happening to me. Im going through pre menapause I guess i skipped 3 months now.i do look better then what I did but I need to lose more. Joy
Joy24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Have patience. These things take time. 11 days is nothing. What exactly are you eating?

Why don't you post a typical menu on our daily menu thread or roll call so we can help.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #63

Gallery: la.lady
Stats: 184.8 /172.8/ 155/-5' 7"
WOE: God's Plan/ LC / Loving the way I feel!!
Start Date: 8/1/12 / I'm losing it, pounds that is !!!
Wow Girl, you wear a size 14 and weigh 207. That is great...
I wear a size 12/14 and weigh 167....
It will come off, but I have found that I didn't lose as well as I did on Atkins the first time... Every time I have gone on and off of LC, the harder it was to lose...
la.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: oow-woo
Stats: 155/167.2!! /157/135 5'3.5" 56y.o.
Start Date: 4/7/99
Hi Joy --Congratulations on that awesome weight loss!
I totally understand your frustration, but stick with it. A lot of us gals in this age group find the weight comes off more slowly.... Are you doing any exercise? I agree with Linda--post a sample of your day's menu so we can take a look.

Carol
oow-woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oow-woo View Post
Hi Joy --Congratulations on that awesome weight loss!
I totally understand your frustration, but stick with it. A lot of us gals in this age group find the weight comes off more slowly.... Are you doing any exercise? I agree with Linda--post a sample of your day's menu so we can take a look.

Carol
Menu daily
2 eggs with turkey bacon with cheese and 2 cups of coffee with a TB of half and half
also I ahve not gotten my period in amost 3 months i must be going through menapause.

lunch usually tuna salad or chicken salad
bed of greens cucumbers and celery

Dinner either 2 cheese burgers, chicken breas
Thats my daily menut with spinach and mushrooms
fish, brocoli and a salad with lemon and Olive oil

and about 8-10 12oz glasses of water
herbal teas
decaf coffee
thats my basic menu
SF jello
Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by la.lady View Post
Wow Girl, you wear a size 14 and weigh 207. That is great...
I wear a size 12/14 and weigh 167....
It will come off, but I have found that I didn't lose as well as I did on Atkins the first time... Every time I have gone on and off of LC, the harder it was to lose...
Hi its like a 14-16 not a 12 lol i wish and not all size 14's fit some are tight depends on the make of them.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #67

Looks fine to me Joy. Just keep on keeping on, but maybe increase the carbs in the form of more low glycemic vegetables.

Oh yeah, MENOPAUSE. LOL, been there done that and am on the estrogen patch since 1988.

Oh and join us on our daily threads.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:33 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cekayak
Stats: 230/215/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 1972
Hi, everyone, thank you for taking the time to write your testimonials. It sparked some memories of my progress.
I started dieting in 1971 with the original WW. It was lower carb, only two slices of bread and they had to be eaten before dinner. No processed cheese. Lots of low carb veggies. I lost 25 lbs. and stalled. 206 lbs. down to 180. So I took the best ideas from WW and Euell Gibbons diabetic book. It was essentially lo carb with bread substitutes. I lost another 25. Now I was 156. I maintained a weight of 145. I was a national champion canoe racer and kayak racer so I would be working out in my boats for 1 to 2 hours a day and racing every weekend. I was able to keep the weight off for 12 yrs. Then divorce got to me, mid life, menopause and excuses for binge eating.
When I reached 200 again in 1990's I redeveloped the lo carb thing and got back down to 170's. Then back up to 230 by spring of 2001. I stuck to the Atkins plan this time and got below 200. I always seem to lose then start binge eating again.
Since Sept. of 2005 when I discovered Netrtion.com and could get the specialized items I need to stay out of the eating disorder problem I have been doing well, until I came to stay with the grandchildren this winter. I went from 192 to 216 from Oct. to now. I am so frustrated with myself and this binge eating. I have been doing fine for four days now since I found this site. It gives me the support and ideas to stay safe.
One mention of why I really went to lo carb in 2005. My cholesterol counts were out of control. I dropped from 245 over all to 185 after being on Atkins for 3 months. My random limb movement problem all but disappears if I avoid carbs. The acid reflux is gone if I stay on lo carb. Strong motivators huh? Except when I'm stressed and in the company of honey buns and ice cream. LOL
If I can just make this site my extended family and use your hints and stories I think I can make it again.
Thank you so much
Maggie
cekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tiasmimi
Vicki, this is wonderful and very encouraging listening to your story. I am new but I am going to give it a try.
tiasmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: oow-woo
Stats: 155/167.2!! /157/135 5'3.5" 56y.o.
Start Date: 4/7/99
tiasmimi! You will find this site to be a wonderful source of help and understanding- the key is to try to check in at least once/day (on a few threads here--helps everyone get to know you better!) It also helps that we're all around the same age--so are going through similar life changes.

Nice to have you join us!

Carol
oow-woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #71
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish

My success is in what I have learned. Not how much weight I have lost.

In 2003 I lost 59 pounds in eleven months on the original Dr. Atkins plan.

Eleven months after the day I started I ate a pound of cherries (in the car).
I had missed cherries and sweet potaoes so much I used to get tears in my eyes.

Then I went off and on, off and on. Gained back 37 of the 59 pounds I had lost.

I came to the conclusion a month ago that many people can do Atkins for life.
But not everyone can. And the yo-yo-ing concerned me. It's not healthy.

So I switched my plan. I had to give up some other things. Like my heavy cream.
But I have my three or four fruits a day. Whole grains. My beloved sweet potato.

The most important thing I have learned: I am not defined by my weight.
I realized it was my thinking that had been flawed all along ... not my body.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mahatma Gandhi [/COLOR]
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #72

Gallery: la.lady
Stats: 184.8 /172.8/ 155/-5' 7"
WOE: God's Plan/ LC / Loving the way I feel!!
Start Date: 8/1/12 / I'm losing it, pounds that is !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzie View Post

My success is in what I have learned. Not how much weight I have lost.

In 2003 I lost 59 pounds in eleven months on the original Dr. Atkins plan.

Eleven months after the day I started I ate a pound of cherries (in the car).
I had missed cherries and sweet potaoes so much I used to get tears in my eyes.

Then I went off and on, off and on. Gained back 37 of the 59 pounds I had lost.

I came to the conclusion a month ago that many people can do Atkins for life.
But not everyone can. And the yo-yo-ing concerned me. It's not healthy.

So I switched my plan. I had to give up some other things. Like my heavy cream.
But I have my three or four fruits a day. Whole grains. My beloved sweet potato.

The most important thing I have learned: I am not defined by my weight.
I realized it was my thinking that had been flawed all along ... not my body.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mahatma Gandhi [/COLOR]
You are so right, and I am one that cannot do Atkins...
I get too lathargic and I get where I don't eat hardly anything because I get so tired of the LC Foods...

That is why I love doing CAD, because once a day, I can have what I want to eat and it is working great for me...

I have come to realize that I to have to love myself the way I am and not let dieting rule my life and how I feel....
la.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sewbee792
Stats: 191/185/160
WOE: Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (Low Carb)
Start Date: 3-14-07 A1C 5.6
I'm new to this low carb forum. I've been a low carber on and off for many years. Started with Overeaters Anonymous 30 years ago when they had Plan A and Plan B. Plan A was almost zero carbs. I lost over 60 pounds back then and of course regained it when I abandoned that way of eating. I've been on Dr.Atkins,ProteinPower and Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I 've been back lo carbing for 1 month now. I have lost 6 lbs since Mar. 14th . I am a diabetic but under control with 2000mg. metformin per day. My HgbA1C blood test is 5.6 (most diabetics know what that is). My current weight is 185 and my goal is 160 for now. I'm 4'11" and 160 is still a lot but it's better than I am now. I intend to stay low-carb the rest of my life because of the diabetes. I have other health issuse (especially at 67 years of age) but I will discuss those later.
JoAnne B
sewbee792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #74
SMP
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SMP
Stats: 300/220/160
Start Date: Nov 2000
I don't know that I'm a successful low carber, more of a successful failure, I think. In the fall of 2000, I came west to die where 2 of my daughters were. I weighed 300 lbs., was miserable and daily afraid of another stroke like the one 4 years earlier that put me in the hospital for weeks, and left me left-handed and permanently limping. It cost me my almost active lifestyle and left me a lump in a chair. Nevertheless, after a few years of hi carb, lo fat eating (which, I now feel, contributed to my stroke), I went the other way entirely with Dr Atkins. Although I immediately developed severe constipation and diverticulitis, I hung in there, and lost 80 lbs before I stalled majorly. I then found out I am destined to be a low carber since I am celiac. I gave up bread and most grains except 100% rye crackers for my diet, and found my health improved. After being exposed to forest fire smoke 2 summers in a row, I developed congestive heart failure. Now my weight can vary by 10 lbs in a week, yet I still am maintaining a 70 lb loss from my original loss. Which means I'm still obese, but now don't feel like dying. Hopefully I will regain my zest for losing, but as a fatty all my life, I have never known what it's like to be slender. Most of my weight was gained on real foods, and that's how I will lose it. I think Dr. Rosedale is the next step in my quest for living healthier. Oh, and I'm not diabetic ... but I should be. I figure Atkins is all that stood between me and that diagnosis. My much slimmer hubby is a diabetic, but controlled with my low carb plan.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GinnyM
I came here, not because I'm over weight, but because I've been a Type I diabetic for 51 years. I started counting carbs a couple of years ago and I feel great. It is the best thing I ever did. I also ride an exercisr bike 30 minutes a day to help keep the blood sugars under control.
GinnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: samredman
WOE: intermittent
Over 35 years of low carb variations

I have been doing low-carb variations now for 35 years (I'm 66 now). I was 31 when I first heard of the Atkins book (it was the hot new thing) and I eagerly got it and bought Stillman's as well. I weighed about 240 (at 5' 10") and while I had always "carried the weight" well (people asked me all the time if I played football), by that age I was uncomfortably overweight. I got to that point by being relatively athletic in younger years and had put on muscle mass in my arms and chest. That musculature was combined with having naturally very broad shoulders, a combination which fooled me and others into perceiving me as being just a very healthy, stocky "jock" as I gained weight (fat) and hid it away somehow in my proportionate physique. But, I hadn't just turned muscle to fat... I had only weighed 160 pounds in high school at my fittest. Instead, I had just steadily and surely, through college and over the next decade, added pound after pound, almost without noticing... except for having to buy new clothes (something you can always just blame on changing fashions). Ironically (or insidiously, I should say), as the years had gone by in my twenties, while I still maintained that athletic "build," I was progressively far less muscular, always hiding more and more fat. At 5' 10" and actually with a truly small frame underneath all that mass, 240 pounds meant a lot of fat (not muscle). Family and friends always told me... that I looked good, that, I really looked healthy.

So, there came a time of reckoning for me... first, I think when I looked at some photos and saw that I didn't really look like the buffed-out athlete which some earlier pictures had displayed... and now, I looked rather pudgy and porky. But, I think the real shocker was once when someone said to me... "You know who you remind me of?" And I was ready for what people had said for years... "Burt Reynolds." However, this time they said, "Lou Costello... you know from Abbott and Costello?". Goodness, what an awakening for me. And then, there was a time when I was going to meet someone for a business lunch and a secretary described me to the incoming visitor, who was going to meet me in a crowded Manhattan train terminal, as a "heavy-set" guy in his late thirties. Yep, I was 31 (and still thinking I looked "athletic") and that shocked me.

So, I started my dieting... and doing some jogging. A few pounds came off and then I picked up the low-carb books. The results were spectacular and combined with Kenneth Cooper's Aerobics program, I continued on a program to take those pounds off... at one time I was down to 137 pounds (crazy, I know). But, I never gained back the bulk and for the next twenty years, mostly kept around my goal weight of the 160 pounds, I weighed in high school. I must say that, over those years, I tried many different diet variations... some low carb and others not and have done lots of my own personal experiments. And then, for next ten years I really got careless and had too many "eat-up" days... those add up on you and when I was in my late fifties I realized (yes, it always comes as a shock) that I had quite a gut again. I wasn't exercising and my weight was up in the 190's, again, remember, I have the "build" that hides weight (fat) very well. And, here I was a guy, who had advised (just as an amateur) lots of people about how to lose weight. Talk about "heal thyself." That's what I realized I had to do.

Well, after having been checked by a doctor and found to have high cholesterol, I got back on the program again... this time combining the best of what I had learned before and I think I now have a fairly workable system that utilizes low-carb a lot of the time and other times incorporates the whole grain and raw fruits and vegetables, based on some indicators, which seem to work for me (but, maybe not so much with others). I started taking Lipitor and combined with my diet and exercise that cholesterol is down where it should be. I am keeping my weight around 170... and the big test for me is "no gut." Lo-carb is an important part of what I do and I use it almost scientifically (well, I mean by that in a calculated way) at certain times every week. I do believe in different kinds of fiber sources and sometimes I make up my own breakfast concoction that most people tell me tastes like library paste (which everyone seems to have tasted at one time or another, because we all understand that analogy completely).

So, yes, I have been a successful dieter and low carb is my kernel (or base), but would what I do work for others? I don't know... I'm almost of the opinion that what works for me isn't a prescription for everyone else. Lots of friends have tried my "program" and they just didn't have the results I get. And even though what I do is "working," I still am learning and picking up ideas. That's why I'm here... lots of good concepts and menu ideas are on these pages and I might have a tip or two myself (although... I'm not a medical person at all, so anything I tell anyone should be taken with a grain of salt).

Last edited by samredman; 04-02-2008 at 02:42 PM..
samredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cokids
Stats: 183/180/150
WOE: South Beach modified (counting calories)
Start Date: Feb. 27, 2008
Ok, here goes...I maintained a 'normal' weight through my 40's, but have struggled to do so all my life.

I have a sister and two brothers who are diabetic...type II. One has controlled it by losing weight, the other two are on insulin.

I have gained weight through my 40's and 50's and now at 60 weigh 179 pounds. I was on South Beach three summers ago and lost about 10, but as soon as I started adding back carbs, it came right back....and then some! But at that time, I made some changes and stuck with them. I stopped eating sugar, white flour, rice and pasta. I substituted whole grain wheat (I do a lot of my own baking), pasta, brown rice and little or NO sugar....except in the fruit that I continued to eat.

Well, in late February this year I finally came to the realization that if I didn't DO something and get on top of this, I'd be weighing in at 200 lbs and continuing to gain. I hated how I looked and my closet is bulging with clothing I'm just waiting to fit into again. Will I ever?

As an ortho-lacto vegetarian, I didn't eat meat which made it harder, I think. A couple weeks ago, i began adding chicken 2-3 times a week. Still, I am losing only about a half pound a week...counting calories and eating right around 1200 a day. I walk a good half hour/ mile and a half several times a week and am getting VERY discouraged to be taking so long and with such struggle to lose this measly amount of weight. Anyone would think to look at me that I sit around munching cookies all day, sipping lattes.

I'm NOT a success story by any means, though I have not yet developed diabetes as my siblings have. My blood pressure is in normal range and my cholesterol though elevated isn't sky high and I'm not sure I buy that it's the sole/most important factor to predict heart disease anyway. (Read Traub's "Good Calories: Bad Calories" if you want to know why). I see my Dr. in a week or so and will talk with him about my dilemma....not that I expect him to have much to say that will help. Drs are notorious for their lack of nutrition savy.

I'm so glad to see people here talking about what their bodies 'like' and don't 'like.' I think it's probably highly individual and something we each have to figure out. I think I need more protein and know that I am severely allergic to carbs. Now I've got to figure out the right combination of fats, carbs, and proteins that will allow me to continue to lose. Perhaps I've got a thyroid problem? I had it tests a few years back and it was fine. We'll see.

Anyway, that's my story. I am glad ot be here and hope to get to know some of you better and to share some successes...one of these days...weeks...months...years. HeL!...it took me years to gain it, so why shouldn't it take me years to lose it?

Beth
cokids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: entwyf
Low carb is a good thing

I don't think I have ever read a bad low-carb story. Every story I have read has had the same ingredients. Mine is not wildly exciting, but so far it has been a good, simple story.

Back in February, I decided to go low carb. I had read a lot about the low-carb way of eating before that, and the more I read, the more I was convinced that it couldn't be bad. Eating meat and vegetables (and maybe a sweet treat once in a great while) . . . how could that possibly hurt?

I did wonder about a craving for sweets, but it has turned out to be a very minor problem. Protein, good fat, and the complex carbs from vegetables seem to satisfy me. It is especially satisfying to have a blob of cream cheese when I do get a craving for junk food. 100 calories' worth of cream cheese does way more for me than 100 calories' worth of chocolate candy.

My "plan" is simply to avoid "white" food--white bread, white sugar, white potatoes, milk. In the past two months or so, I have "only" lost eight pounds, but my clothes are finally beginning to feel normal instead of tight, and I think I'm seeing more cheekbone in my face than before.

I have 72 pounds to go, but I am not in a huge rush. I lost weight quickly with Weight Watchers about six years ago, but I looked tired and my skin looked flabby, AND I gained all the weight back when I stopped (because I hit a plateau and didn't want to waste any more money).

Meanwhile, it's a pleasant ride. I can eat real food that really satisfies. It's simple, a true no-brainer.

Edith
entwyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rnsmth
Stats: 235/195/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan. 6, 2008
Hi everyone,

I just got approved for posting. I low carb mostly due to Type II diabetes. Have done well, but slowly crept up from 205 to 235 over the past 3 years. In January I got serious again and started on South Beach Diet phase 1. I tell people I live my life on phase 1.5

Have lost 35 pounds since January 6 and have some ways to go. My initial goal was 195 - I am at 200 as of this morning. Looked at a BMI calculator and it looks like I need to end up between 175 and 185 to hit the 20-22 BMI range.

Here is today's food so far, as an illustration

Breakfast

1 Trident brand salmon burger 170 Calories (80 from fat) 2 grams of carbs

4 Omega-3 enhanced eggs - 320 calories (180 from fat) 4 grams of carbs

1 tablespoon olive oil - 120 calories (120 from fat) 0 grams of carbs

Total- 610 calories (380 from fat) 6 grams of carbs

Divide by 2 = 305 calories (190 from fat) 3 grams of carbs each.

Snack - 2 ounces reduced-fat cheese - 120 calories, 50 from fat

Lunch

Cobb Salad from a grocery store for lunch - 340 calories, 145 from fat - with dressing
rnsmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mikkimouse
Stats: 247/148/150 ~6'0~
WOE: ~ Low Carb ~
Start Date: August 26, 2007
Hello all,

I started low carbing when i reached my highest which was 228. I am 6' and have weighed around 150 all my life. I had my first DD and after i had her i was weighing 210, then 3 months after i had her i had gall bladder surgery ( which i almost died from) after surgery i went down to 145. then i had my 2nd DD and 2 weeks after i had her i weighed 150. then had my DS C-section and weighed 215 after him, but after chasing the kids, was to exhausted to exercise, i have always been a carb o holic..... French fries were my weakness...OMG i loved em But as the kids got older i tried all sorts of other diets and nothing seamed to work

Then i was introduced to the Combo CLA/GLA and i felt totally different in the first 3 days. I googled CLA and it brought me to this web site, which i totally love what awsome people are here and i couldent have stuck with this LC if it wasent for everyone here at Low Carb Friends....

So as that is said, I have been LC and on the combo for 7 1/2 months, and i have lost a total of 42 1/2 inches and 62 lbs so far. As far as craving sweet stuff? No. I love cream cheese, I have found a new recipe that calls for cream cheese... armadillo eggs. OMG yummy. I make em almost every weekend.

Since i have been LC'ing.....I sleep better, TOM is ALOT better,i havent had allergys this year. I have more energy. I love it.

The only thing that i have struggled with is clothes. I loose so much then i buy a pair of jeans for work and BAM 2 weeks later they are falling off. I am a size 8 jeans now. !!!! and a m top..... I can wait to replace my whole wardrobe!!! i think the only thing i dont have to replace is sox and shoes. LOL

I am motivated because i am determined to loose all of this weight and keep it off. I dont want to go back to the Old days and feeling crappy.

The weight loss is keeping my attention to food focused.

I am determined to loose these last pounds!!!

The only protein i will suggest that you dont eat is brats....( YUMMY) i found out the hard way and had a bbq brat, w/out the bun, and some cottage cheese.... well i had gained 3 lbs because of it. And that is the only thing i had eaten different. But i can say that i am back doun to 166. so just from my experience dont eat em......LOL

Start date of CLA/GLA.....08-26-2007
Goal Met 10-25-08

Mikki
mikkimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pmahs
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, although I think I visited a few times several years ago. I'm trying hard to get back to low carbing. I'm 70 years old and have at least 55 pounds to lose. Is anyone here in my age group who has had success at weight loss? I feel terrible, with every imaginable ache and pain, but with every conceivable deterrent to my eating plan. A retired husband who wants constant sweets and constant "meals", for one thing. I'd really appreciate your help.
pmahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Roses4me
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Oct2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmahs View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, although I think I visited a few times several years ago. I'm trying hard to get back to low carbing. I'm 70 years old and have at least 55 pounds to lose. Is anyone here in my age group who has had success at weight loss? I feel terrible, with every imaginable ache and pain, but with every conceivable deterrent to my eating plan. A retired husband who wants constant sweets and constant "meals", for one thing. I'd really appreciate your help.
pmahs - would you like a low carb buddy? I am 71, and would like to lose 40 lbs, need to lose more, but would get too wrinkled if lose more, if you know what I mean
I have not had success with keeping weight off, I lose 10 or so and then get lax and it comes right back on.
Maybe with a buddy, we can both work on getting it off and keeping it off.
Roses4me
Roses4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #83
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mommacita
Stats: 178/140/135/150
Start Date: 1/2003
What a great idea for a thread!

I have been lc-ing for I think 5 1/2 years. When I first started I was religious about it and lost 38 pounds. It wasn't that hard. Over time,however, I had the "carb creep"that Dr Atkins talked about. I don't exercise (no excuses)so I really need to stick to Induction. I did it for I think 3 years and was able to maintain. Once I started cheating,along with still no exercising, I ended up putting 18 pounds back on!
SO, now I"m trying to move a little more (can't expect miracles) and REALLY stick to the plan. It's only been a few totally 20 carb a day or less weeks and i've lost 8 lbs. This time FOR GOOD!
Thanks for a place to "vent"...I'm thinking putting it in writing will really help me stick to it, for real.

Last edited by mommacita; 05-24-2008 at 04:46 PM..
mommacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roses4me View Post
pmahs - would you like a low carb buddy? I am 71, and would like to lose 40 lbs, need to lose more, but would get too wrinkled if lose more, if you know what I mean
I have not had success with keeping weight off, I lose 10 or so and then get lax and it comes right back on.
Maybe with a buddy, we can both work on getting it off and keeping it off.
Roses4me
I'll be 65 next month and have been on Atkins since 1997 and have been maintaining on Atkins since then. It's just a way of life for us now.
I Did gain a few lbs when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroditis three years ago.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JMS1
Stats: 175/178/135
Start Date: February, 2008/restart 1/2/2010
Montana, it looks like you're the closest to my age. I'm 63. The question I've been asking in other threads is while losing weight does your skin feel loose and hanging? My highest weight was 175. I'm now down to 164. Did this happen to you or should I up it to my age? If there's anyone else out there within our age range please let me know your thoughts on this.
JMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #86

There are many people here who are in their 60's and 70's. Some should pop in, Hopefully.

Yes our skin has just so much elasticity. Think of an old rubber band. As we age, it just doesn't bounce back like it did when we were young.
If you are really concerned, you can always see a good plastic surgeon when you reach your goal.
When I was working with a group of them, we did many surgeries to tighten and "lift".
Old 05-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #87
SMP
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SMP
Stats: 300/220/160
Start Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMontana View Post
There are many people here who are in their 60's and 70's. Some should pop in, Hopefully.
I ain't admittin' nothin' about my age!
Quote:
Yes our skin has just so much elasticity. Think of an old rubber band. As we age, it just doesn't bounce back like it did when we were young.
A lot depends on your genetics and how fast you gained or lost the weight. Think of a balloon blown up shiny and tight, then let the air out. First the tightness eases, then the softness appears. As the air flows out more, then tiny little lines appear in the skin of the balloon ... and in our skin. Doing weights is supposed to keep the muscles firm underneath the flab, and a good musculature will prevent too much sagging. But if you weighed over 400 lbs and lost your excess in a matter of months, I doubt if you'll escape any consequences.
Quote:
If you are really concerned, you can always see a good plastic surgeon when you reach your goal.
My standards are too high - they can't turn back the clock, and I don't really want to look like I'm living inside a well-used mannequin.
SMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #88

Quote:
I ain't admittin' nothin' about my age!
This Golden Years forum is for people 50 years or older.

Quote:
A lot depends on your genetics and how fast you gained or lost the weight. Think of a balloon blown up shiny and tight, then let the air out. First the tightness eases, then the softness appears. As the air flows out more, then tiny little lines appear in the skin of the balloon ... and in our skin. Doing weights is supposed to keep the muscles firm underneath the flab, and a good musculature will prevent too much sagging. But if you weighed over 400 lbs and lost your excess in a matter of months, I doubt if you'll escape any consequences.
I used the rubber band example. Working all of those many years with the Plastic Surgeons ,I've seen it all and know about the elasticity of skin and what aging does. It ain't pretty.

Quote:
My standards are too high - they can't turn back the clock, and I don't really want to look like I'm living inside a well-used mannequin.
What ever floats your boat, but there is no shame in trying to look a little better.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: entwyf
I have been posting here and there on lowcarbfriends.com for a while, but now I feel as if I have finally made the commitment I needed to make to lowcarbing.

Back in February, I started making changes toward a low-carb lifestyle. I stopped eating chips, drinking soft drinks, and eating sweets, except for once or twice a week. I started eating protein at every meal, and I started eating lots more vegetables. I also started drinking more water (my goal was eight to twelve cups a day; I am now averaging about nine cups a day with a few days here and there getting to my upper goal). From February till now, I lost only three pounds. But the neat thing is that I was eating MORE food.

Six days ago, Friday, June 20, I decided to go the classic route. I am now doing induction. In the past six days, I have lost five pounds. That doesn't mean a lot to me yet, since eating salty food or food I am allergic to can add five pounds to my weight overnight. I'm waiting to see what the scale says in a week.

The thing that convinced me to go "whole hog" (mmmm . . . pork!) was getting my annual physical last week. I weighed in half a pound less than I did at my last physical, and my doctor, God bless her, said, "I see you're working on your weight."

Somehow, that made me feel very positive about the changes I have been making in my eating habits. I thought, since I have another appointment with my doctor in July to discuss the results of bloodwork, wouldn't it be cool to go in weighing even less.

One thing I am concerned about is: I don't want to end up looking the way I did when I tried losing weight with Weight Watchers. I starved while on that diet, I lost ONLY sixteen pounds in the NINE months I struggled with the program, and during the ordeal, I looked like death warmed over. I have a picture of me looking rather thin, with my cheekbones showing, but I look really unhealthy.

So far with induction, I feel good, and I don't look bad. Funny thing is, now that I am committed to low-carbing, I seem to be coming out of denial about how overweight I am.

I looked in the mirror a couple of days ago, and I got a shock. For the first time in years, I could SEE myself as I am . . . seventy-seven pounds overweight. Sagging stomach, bad posture, double chin. But I don't really care!

I mean, it's a serious thing, but I feel confident that things will, over the next year, change significantly. I feel, if you will, light-hearted about it.

I just wanted to share this with people who would understand.

Edith
entwyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: redslipper47
Stats: 241/202/160 Restart 253/235/160
Start Date: 1/7/2003 Restart: 1/1/2009
Edith,

Thanks so much for writing how I feel. I have just started back to low Carb. This time it is more about how I feel. I understand totally. Let's make 08 a feel good year.
redslipper47 is offline   Reply With Quote