Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Dry mature skin what foundation

I am in need of new foundation. What I had made look as if pancake batter had dried on me. I was old too so that may have soemthing to do with it ,
What would you recommend ladies ? It must be generally available though, an international brand like maybelline , Lreal,generally the brands you would see in your local Walmart hipermarket. I have very dry skin and I am in the process of getting those fine lines in the mouth area. I think because of teh dryness I would prefer liquid foundation but if you have a great experience with mineral powders let me know.
So what say you ladies ?

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh! GO STEELERS!!!
Gallery: JerseyGyrl
Stats: 245/143/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 13,2004
Let me first start by saying, I'm 51 ( will be 52 in August ) and I use mineral foundation. I used to use Bare Minerals...but...was never really happy with it. Then I learned about Smoky Mountain Minerals. That was 7+ years ago and I've been using it ever since. I it! No bismuth oxychloride, so no itching, redness or irritation and, its about 1/3 the price of Bare Minerals!
I believe the key to wearing a mineral foundation when you're "older" is making sure your skin is well moisturized and using a primer. I typically use Rimmel Fix & Perfect 002 primer. Its inexpensive and can be found in most drug stores, Walmart, Target etc.
If you're still on the fence about mineral foundation, Smoky Mountain Minerals also makes a liquid mineral foundation you might like to consider. It offers medium coverage and is available in several shades.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
I swear by guerlain Lingerie De Peau Invisible Skin Fusion Foundation SPF 20

Light coverage ( you can build if needed) doesn't settle and has a flawless airbrush finish. People say you have great skin and don't notice it's foundation at all
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Perfect!

So glad I happened across this post and the replies. I'm gonna check these suggestions out today.

Thanks for all who responded.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I like the Dior Nude but you can't get it at the Drugstore. My 80 year old mom is using the Olay BB and it looks great on her.

I went to Sephora recently for some help with this exact problem. I quit using powder and that has helped. I put my foundation on with a brush but then I blend with one of those egg shaped sponges that you add water to. This has helped with my forehead where it tends to look "cakey."

I also swear by Clinque Moisture Surge. After you put your foundation on you get just a tiny bit on your finger tips and pat gently over your face. This works great for under eyes too! It's not cheap but it lasts a very long time.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Thank you very much ladies for all the ideas.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
On my dry dry skin, I use CeraVe cream with Loreal primer over it. Amazing what the primer has done for the looks and durability of my foundation. It seems to seal in the moisture. I like the Loreal because it is a cream, which works better for me than the liquid primers do, and it doesn't have anything irritating in it either. A little jar lasts about a month, covering both face and neck. A jar of CeraVe cream lasts much longer.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Love CeraVe cream, do you use the face wash also?

I need to try some primer......thanks for the ideals.

*I am almost to the point I don't even want to wear make-up......but then I could Never go out of the house!!
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I don't use the face wash, I use Olay daily facials disposable cloths for sensitive skin. I need lots of exfoliation. But my mother loves the face wash.

Primer is awesome. It has totally changed the look and durability of my makeup face. Today I'm going in for my first laser hair removal treatment in hopes that I won't have to wear 4 layers of makeup on my neck forever, but even if it works I'm keeping the primer as part of the makeup process.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I agree, primer is awesome! As makeup artist Laura Geller says "you wouldn't paint a wall without spackling it first"....you shouldn't apply your makeup without priming your face. Primer fills in imperfections and creates a smooth canvas. It also makes your makeup last a lot longer.
I really like Rimmel Fix and Perfect 002 primer, its inexpensive and works well. I've tried the L'oreal and like it too.
As I've mentioned, I use mineral powder foundation ( Smoky Mountain Minerals ) and believe using a primer under it is the key to it looking natural and not settling in any fine lines or wrinkles.
For face wash, I am an Olay girl for many years. I have the Olay Pro X face brush and it! I also Aveeno Positively Ageless Resurfacing Scrub once or twice a week to exfoiliate
Old 06-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks JerseyGyrl and solarpluvia for your input.

My computer in off/on so I will make this brief......I will go shopping this weekend for primer!! And I looked at Smokey Mt Minerals.....it looks soooo good. BUT I'm over 50 so not sure....

Anywho thanks agian girls.......
Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
And I looked at Smokey Mt Minerals.....it looks soooo good. BUT I'm over 50 so not sure....
I'm going to be 52 in August
The key is moisturizing your skin and using a primer. The combination of moisturizer & primer will smooth out & fill in your skin making it ready for foundation.
If you aren't sure about mineral foundation, I urge you to order a starter size jar ( a sample size ) and try it for a week or 2 to decide if you really like it. If you are used to liquid or cream foundation, it might take you a few days to get used to a powder foundation. The feel is weightless and it looks very natural, not "made-up". It is also especially nice in the Summer months
Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I got some primer... I have normal/oily T-zone skin. So I was afraid to put it on the T-zone, but so far so good.

I am going to be busy for a few days, but plan on ordering some SMM as soon as I can.

Thanks again to both of you all your help.

Anna
Old 06-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I recently ordered the Smoky Mountain Minerals pressed foundation compact. It is a duo compact ( contains 2 shades of foundation ). I got the medium/nude and its perfect! I can wear the medium during the Summer and the nude during the Winter.
I used it today. Applied it with a kabuki brush over primer ( Rimmel Fix & Perfect 002 ). It went on very smoothly and left my skin flawless. Best of all, no mess because its pressed minerals It also does not contain any bismuth oxychloride so no itching, redness or irritation.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
I swear by Armani Maestro foundation and using a primer -- both are fabulous if you want full natural looking coverage
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote