Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh! GO STEELERS!!!
Gallery: JerseyGyrl
Stats: 245/143/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 13,2004
Drug Store or High End?

Do you feel there is really a difference in drug store & high end cosmetics? With so many "dupes" out there for high end products, I really can't see spending more just for a name
What are your thoughts & feelings on this?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/193 on WW/174since LC Aug 1st/166
Start Date: 8/1/2011
I buy almost everything drugstore except Lancome Mascara. Tried it once and fell in love with it.
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I find most of the solid daily use products that work best for ME are from the drug store. I have spent a ton over the years trying different high end items only to find a better "knock off" at the drug store.

Cover Girl LashBlast is just as good if not better than Dior Show mascara.

Maybeline gel eyeliner is the only eye liner that doesnt smudge or completely disappear by the end of the day.

Rimmel eyeshadow also lasts all day.

I know that everyone has different skin and what works on some wont work on others but I have had the most success with drug store brand makeup.

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Interesting topic. Several years ago, my dermatologist told me that the ingredients are controlled by the FDA no matter what manufacturer is making the product. Granted, the more expensive items can have pricier ingredients, but generally, the drug store brands are as high quality as the department store stuff. So, for me, it's the drug store cosmetic counter.
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I adore Bare Minerals as a foundation but otherwise I use all drug store stuff. Except for 1 MAC product only because it is something very specific and I can't find it anywhere else. I have a very specific mascara I like after years and years of searching through high & low(er) end products.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I adore Bare Minerals as a foundation but otherwise I use all drug store stuff.
I am a former Bare Minerals foundation user. I switched to Smoky Mountain Minerals 7+ years ago. I did this for 2 reasons, #1, Bare Minerals contains bismuth oxycholoride, which causes itching, irritation and shineyness and #2, the cost....SMM is about 1/3 the price. Also with Bare Minerals, I never was able to find a shade match for my skintone but, with Smoky Mountain Minerals, I've found one that matches my skin perfectly. They have sales every week ( often 20% to 40% off ) and they always have FREE shipping
Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Do you feel there is really a difference in drug store & high end cosmetics? With so many "dupes" out there for high end products, I really can't see spending more just for a name
What are your thoughts & feelings on this?
I would have to say it varies by product for me. (Keep in mind, I am a bit of a product junkie too lol.)

For example, Prescriptives False Lashes is my favorite mascara, bar none and I have tried many. (I'm still trying lol.) The closest comparable product was not from the dept. store but is L'oreal Lashout.

I see the least variance in quality between Dept. Stores and Drug Stores with body cleansers and facial masks. I've been able to find products that perform equally well both places.
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
After years of trying drugstore brands, I've changed over to department store for foundations because there is no drugstore foundation that comes close to matching my vampire no peach-tone sensitive skin that I can actually wear. The only one that came close contains a masking fragrance that made my face break out into a very painful rash the texture of cornflakes that lasted over a week.

But for everything else (eyeshadow, lip stuff, mascara) I use drugstore. Though I'm probably going to look for a new dept store blush soon, as the only drugstore blush that I've found that looks right has just enough fragrance to make my face itch sometimes.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
Though I'm probably going to look for a new dept store blush soon, as the only drugstore blush that I've found that looks right has just enough fragrance to make my face itch sometimes.
Have you ever tried Milani Baked Blush? They are great!! Comparable to Laura Geller but....less than 1/2 the price!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Have you ever tried Milani Baked Blush? They are great!! Comparable to Laura Geller but....less than 1/2 the price!
I did look at Milani, but it is just so shimmery! And no color that really works. What I'm using now is Prestige flawless blush in Candy Pink. Which is a bright strong hot pink that no other drugstore brand seems to make anymore. They all seem to be muted or peachy. I still look every time though. I don't mind spending for the dept store stuff if it is exactly what I want, and besides a blush compact will last me for months. Though I may go have a good look at Sally Beauty Supply before I decide.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Wet n Wild has some great bright color blushes too!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
After years of using both high end and drugstore, I am a big fan of Physicians Formula. I also love the Boots line and Sonia Kashuk at Target. Currently, I switch from mineral foundation to Garnier BB Cream for variety (and when I want my face to feel more 'naked').

Occasionally, I splurge on Urban Decay, Too Faced or Bare Escentuals.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
Back when I was a teenager and EVERYTHING made me break out, I tried the Clinique line of makeup from Elder Beerman. It was oil free and didn't aggrevate my breakouts. I really liked it. But when I didn't have to worry so much about breakouts anymore, I started using Cover Girl, although I do like a few products from Almay. Most of the stuff I get now is from the drug store, although I cheat and go to the local flea market and get the drug store stuff for half of what the store themselves want for it. Found a tube of Maybelline BB cream for $1.49 there and it usually runs almost $8 a tube at Wal Mart.

ETA: Does anyone remember the "Clarifying" make up from Cover Girl? I really liked that stuff. It helped me alot and wish my DD could benefit from it like I did.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food

Last edited by Demonica; 06-11-2013 at 07:59 AM..
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
You can find quality products in ether price range. I'm always watching for reviews on drugstore "dupes" of higher priced products.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maureenlw
Start Date: 5/13/2013
I like e.l.f. pout perfector as well as e.l.f lip balm. They don't last as long as my higher end products; re-application is needed within 1-2 hours, but for they are a great little buy to tide you over if higher end products are not in the budget. I also like Diamond lip gloss by Sally, but I have not been able to find it in years.
Maureenlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
can anyone recommend a drug store foundation that gives full coverage, but doesn't make you feel like you have a layer of Crisco on your face?
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
can anyone recommend a drug store foundation that gives full coverage, but doesn't make you feel like you have a layer of Crisco on your face?
I don't wear liquid foundation but, I watch a lot of YouTube reviews and the new CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 foundation gets great reviews. It claims to be a concealer, primer & foundation in 1.
I wear mineral foundation ( Smoky Mountain Minterals ), so....I can't personally vouge for the CG foundation. If you are intersted in mineral foundation, I would highly recommend Smoky Mountain Minerals.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
I like Cover Girl & Olay Simply Ageless Foundation - comes in a compact & is applied with a sponge.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I like Cover Girl & Olay Simply Ageless Foundation - comes in a compact & is applied with a sponge.
I agree on the Cover Girl. It is great! I pick it up on sale at Wal-Greens and keep it for when I run out of my fav foundation and don't have time to go to Sephora. Oddly, I never have tone issues w/ CG. The color blends so well.

Mascara & foundation are the only items that I am really particular about. Everything else is drugstore.

My very fav go-to foundation is by Tarte - Amazonian Clay and also Maracuja Miracle. I began receiving so many compliments on my face when I started wearing these. Even though I am not picky at all, the difference when you get my age is usually worth it. It is much cheaper than Perricone's No Foundation and yet it makes my skin look flawless and (let me tell you, it isn't). It cost $30-$35 depending where you find it and lasts about 3 months. Ulta & Sephora keep it and I have even ordered from Amazon.

I have 3 fav mascaras and one is at all Health Food Stores and is so gentle. It is made by Reviva and is Hypoallergenic. If you ever have trouble with watering eyes or itchy, this is the most gentle and beautiful that I have tried. It doesn't lengthen, but does make lashes look natural.

Peter Thomas Roth Lashes to Die For and Lorac Pro Mascara are both excellent mascaras. They give you lashes that you never knew you had. But they are pricier about $18 ea and one will last about 3 months.
I try to use my healthy mascara Reviva daily and save the PTR or Lorac for special occasions, night events or for pics.

My lip gloss is always Burt's Bees Lip shimmer. You can find Burts at Target and most drugstores and it is cheap and lovely, plus all natural. It is made with bees wax, coconut oil, and Vit E. No toxins. My fav colors are Fig and Raisin.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tish437
Like August Moon, I use Physician's Formula, the one with the sponge tip. I also use L'Oreal for liners, shadow, and mascara. BTW, L'Oreal makes Lancome, so they're about the same.
Tish437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
I like to mix and match high-end and low-end based on what works best for me. Like Sunday, I believe in investing in a good quality foundation and loose power too -- I LOVE Armani Maestro. It is natural looking and worth every penny.

I wear Chanel lipstick and eyeshadow because I am addicted to the colors but also love a L'Oreal Quad in Desert Sunrise. I am super light (blonde, fair skin, blue eyes) so I need to go with soft neutral earth tones that are most flattering.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I was watching the news here last evening, they did a segment comparing high end department store cosmetics to drug store cosmetics, it was pretty enlightening.
One of the comparisons was Nars ****** blush ($29) to Milani baked blush ($7), the news anchor that was doing the segment liked the Milani! They also compared a Mac eyeshadow (I believe it was Satin Taupe) to L'oreal Infallible eyeshadow, she liked the L'oreal. The only cheaper product she didn't like was a $2 ELF lipstick, because she said it felt drying.
I personally love Milani baked blushes, L'oreal Infallible eye shadows and certain shades of Wet n Wild & Rimmel lipsticks.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
It's interesting how brands are all over the place! For example, I really like Rimmel lipstick, but their mascara was so horrible I threw it out!
I used to use full face liquid foundation, since I was 13 or so, and felt naked without it. But, once I hit around 35, I found no matter how much I moisturized, it tended to show lines and dryness. One day a cosmetologist switched me over by doing one side of my face in my usual foundation (l'Oreal true match) and the other side Pur. The Pur still gave me enough coverage and just looked better, overall.

Here are my favorites, after much trial and error:
Foundation powder : Pur Minerals or Mark
Moisturizer: Vichy aqualia thermale liquid gel
BB creme- loreal magic
Mascara : gosh provacateur or maybelline falsies
Eyeshadow : urban decay naked palette
Blush: mark just pinched
Spackle: mark or the porefessional by benefit
Lip liner: not really partial to any brand, usually buy Avon
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
I use a combination of both drugstore and high end.
My foundation is a Tarte BB cream - I love it as I finally found something that evens out my skin tone.
My eyebrow pencil is an NYC that costs me .99 and I buy them like 4-5 at a time.
Blush is a WNW dupe for Nars ******
Liners are high end; my fave is one I got in my monthly Ipsy sub - from Caitlyn - but I am sure I could find something comparable.
Mascara - no choice for me - Tarte Lights Camera Flashes.....gives me amazing lashes.
My Bronzer (right now) and highlighter are both from WNW and I also use a Boots product for highlighting that is a dupe for a Benefit product.
Finally, lips - I am all over but love my Revlon Just Bitten Lip Balm/Stain.

Like someone else mentioned - you have to find the product that works for you and your skin type.

Right now skin care wise I finally found something that works and I have had great results - and that is the Michael Todd Organic line - I LOVE IT!!!

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #25

I thought about it & realized that most of my makeup is highend (middle of the road is a better description! ).

I have been using Maybelline Define-A-Lash, it comes close to BE Flawless Definition. I've used & liked a few Burt's Bees (currently using Intense Hydration Eye Cream with Clary Sage) things as well as Neutrogena.

Most of my shadows & liners are BE. BE lasts forever & I rarely find myself shopping for new ones. I tend to research them online & buy them online, too.

I have 7 blushes & all but one is bareMinerals. I use them all but really never shop for blush. These all came in kits.

BareMinerals Bronzing Mineral Veil is a newer addition. I've been using it for about three months and love it.

It is so hot here that I'm skipping foundation these days. I've got some high end, some department store that I like. I will most likely buy drug store ones in the future. Why spend more if you are happy with something less expensive?

There are lots of drug store products I've heard good things about but I don't need those things right now. I work at using & enjoying what I already have and purchase things when I run out of something.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jleighs
Stats: 175/134/130
After 20 years of drugstore makeup that I never actually liked all that much, I discovered Sephora and never looked back. I've spent 5 years building a collection of the best makeup (for me) that I can find. Sephora is also how I reward myself for reaching mini weight loss goals. I MUCH prefer the high-end makeup. In my experience, the high-end stuff has more staying power. Since I'm also at the age (40) where my makeup has to camouflage subtle signs of aging, I've noticed that the high-end stuff does it best. I'm particularly enamored with the Anastasia Illumin8 eyeshadow palettes. I have dry skin, so my eyelids have a tendency to look "crepey" with most eyeshadows. Not so with the Illumin8 shadows.
Jleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
Queen Bargain Shopper

Jleighs - I have heard those Anastasia eye shadows are awesome for those of us just a tad older......
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #28

I've heard good things about Anastasia eye shadows but I've never checked them out. Maybe I should...
Old 07-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #29
Queen Bargain Shopper

oh no Deb!

I have noticed that any foundation type products that I LOVE do happen to be high end - I also find the staying power better.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I'm definitely going to have to check out those Anastasia shadows! The crepiness has become noticable over the past year and my allergies seem to be making it worse.