Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Diatomaceous Earth

Has anyone ever used Diatomaceous Earth to make a facial mask and had any sort of positive results with it? I ordered a big bag and was planning on starting to take it as a supplement, but I started to wonder if the skin benefits would also extend to mixing it with something and making it into a facial mask like some people do with different types of clay

I have acne (less now that I'm LC, but it still pops up thanks to my PCOS and such) and some facial redness and large pores I'd like to improve a bit... anyone else had any luck using this stuff on their skin?
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
At one time I thought of using it for a carpenter ant problem. The theory is that the ants crawl over it while on their way to eat the wood in our house, and it puts tiny cuts in their body, causing them to dehydrate and die.

Sounded better than insecticide until I read that if you inhale it, it puts tiny cuts in your lung tissue that scar over and the areas with the scars will no longer be able to absorb oxygen.

I ended up using a product with sugar and boric acid. The ants loved the sugar, the boric acid killed them, and it's safe to be around humans (or so I read).

But for a cosmetic product, I don't know if it is loose enough to get into your lungs. It might be worth investigating.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Hmmm... yeah, I know it's a no-no to inhale it so I definitely didn't want to do that I know many people stir it into water and supplement with it, and I plan on doing that. But I would assume if you mixed it into some form of paste it'd probably be impossible to inhale it... maybe with some honey, or mashed avocado, or oil of some sort? Maybe even plain yogurt.

I really have no idea, I'll have to look into it some more but I figured if anyone would know it'd be someone on this forum... so if anyone's tried it, feel free to chime in
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pinot
raindroproses (love that name!) - I made a DE "mask" of sorts once. Just a paste of DE and water and left it on for probably 15 minutes. Turned solid white and stiff on my face. Washed off easily. It didn't hurt anything but I didn't really notice any benefit so I've never done it again. But now that you mention it, I might just try it again.

Let me tell you though, I LOVE Diatomaceous Earth as a supplement! I've only been taking it for less than two months, but it has already helped my hair, my skin, my nails. My sleep! Improved my mood dramatically.

But the best thing DE has done for me is to cure my sugar addiction. Seriously. I was so addicted to Pepsi in particular. Tried so many times to wean off it, go cold turkey, etc. and I just could. not. do. it. I craved it just like I imagine drug addicts crave a fix.

After less than two weeks of DE, the craving for Pepsi and all kinds of sugar was GONE. And it has not come back. My appetite is totally under MY control now. I can hardly believe it! There are some days when I just completely forget to eat!

I take 2 teaspoons of DE three times a day (before breakfast, at lunch and in the evening). I mix each "dose" in two cups of lemon water (along with some other powdered supplements) and find now that my body craves it instead of sugar.
Pinot is offline   Reply With Quote