Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
What foundation do you use?

I have used MAC Matchmaster for the past year but I am thinking of mixing it up. I like that the matchmaster will change a bit with my skin tone but I don't know that I love the way it glides these days.

I have been thinking of going with Tarte, Urban Decay or Makeup forever - all of which I have tried, it's just hard to really get a feel.

What kind of foundation do you use?
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
I use Bare Minerals and switch off with a BB Cream. I think your choice depends on your age, skin type, if you need or want SPF, and how well a product 'sticks' to your skin. I have never had skin that foundation 'liked'. I have good skin, but foundation has never liked sticking to me. But I need it because I need SPF. Mineral makeup used along with foundation primer has been awesome. I use the BB Cream, when I want my face to feel a little more 'naked'.

I've used them all! Dior, Chanel, MAC, Lancome, Clinique, Prescriptives, etc., etc.. Moisturizing ones are too dewey and wet looking and powder makes it worse. Matte ones could come off me in one whole piece (looked it anyway). I have weird skin. But I do love the new BB Creams, and I think everyone should try them at least once.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh! GO STEELERS!!!
Gallery: JerseyGyrl
Stats: 245/143/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 13,2004
I use Smoky Mountain Minerals and it! I've been using it 7 years now. Used to use Bare Minerals but, was never really happy with the shades because no matter what I tried, it never seemed to match my skintone. I also don't like that Bare Minerals contains bismuth oxycholoride, Smoky Mountain Minerals does not and Smoky Mountain Minerals is about 1/3 the cost of Bare Minerals.
I know BB Creams are all the rage but, I wasn't impressed. That being said, I do use a primer, typically Rimmel Fix & Perfect. I am also a firm believer in using a moisturizer (with SPF) and a serum.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I have three that I use & like. SKINN Plasma foundation Ageless Finish Matte Makeup, tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Balancing Foundation & Covergirl natureluxe Liquid Silk Foundation.

I use foundation brushes with all of them. The Covergirl one has a thinner consistency but it does have some coverage to it.

I've also used, and liked, the Covergirl/Olay Simply Ageless Foundation.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 04-08-2013 at 02:45 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by August Moon View Post
I use Bare Minerals and switch off with a BB Cream. I think your choice depends on your age, skin type, if you need or want SPF, and how well a product 'sticks' to your skin. I have never had skin that foundation 'liked'. I have good skin, but foundation has never liked sticking to me. But I need it because I need SPF. Mineral makeup used along with foundation primer has been awesome. I use the BB Cream, when I want my face to feel a little more 'naked'.

I've used them all! Dior, Chanel, MAC, Lancome, Clinique, Prescriptives, etc., etc.. Moisturizing ones are too dewey and wet looking and powder makes it worse. Matte ones could come off me in one whole piece (looked it anyway). I have weird skin. But I do love the new BB Creams, and I think everyone should try them at least once.

I received a free BB cream from a product trial website I use and I hate it I think I like more coverage than it gives me and it doesn't last long enough!

Quote:
I use Smoky Mountain Minerals and it! I've been using it 7 years now. Used to use Bare Minerals but, was never really happy with the shades because no matter what I tried, it never seemed to match my skintone. I also don't like that Bare Minerals contains bismuth oxycholoride, Smoky Mountain Minerals does not and Smoky Mountain Minerals is about 1/3 the cost of Bare Minerals.
I know BB Creams are all the rage but, I wasn't impressed. That being said, I do use a primer, typically Rimmel Fix & Perfect. I am also a firm believer in using a moisturizer (with SPF) and a serum.
How long does Smoky Mountain Minerals last? That's always my fear with powdered mineral foundation - I don't understand how it stays in place

Quote:
I have three that I use & like. SKINN Plasma foundation Ageless Finish Matte Makeup, tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Balancing Foundation & Covergirl natureluxe Liquid Silk Foundation.
What did you think of the Tarte Amazonian Clay - that's one that I am considering buying. I want full coverage but it seems like it may be too much coverage (make up my mind I know!)

I just started using a Clarisonic and that seems to be really helping my skin. I stopped doing facials awhile ago so maybe the Clarisonic will make me love the Mac again
Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamanni View Post

How long does Smoky Mountain Minerals last? That's always my fear with powdered mineral foundation - I don't understand how it stays in place
I'm not sure how other's apply mineral foundation but, here is what I do After washing my face, I apply my moisturizer & serum and allow them to "sink in" while I do my hair. Before I apply my foundation I apply a layer of primer ( I like Rimmel Fix & Perfect ). I then apply the foundation. I use my Ecotools retractable kabuki brush for this. Because Smoky Mountain Minerals is a "buildable" foundation, I start out with a little and if I feel I need a bit more coverage, I can always add more. I apply it in small circular motions working it into my skin. When I am happy with the coverage, I apply my bronzer, blush & glow ( all Smoky Mountain Minerals products ) and end with Be Flawless Veil, which gives an airbrushed finish and absorbs oil. For me, the foundation lasts all day.
I've been using these products for about 7 years now and have recommended them to a lot of people because I am passionate about them. They offer sales & specials every week, often 20%, 30% and even 50% off as well as BOGO. They have FREE shipping and the products arrive quickly. They also sell sample sizes.
I have a lot of favorite Smoky Mountain Minerals products I the foundation ( my shade is Light Beige ), the Soft Pink Blush, the Dark Mauve Blush, Light Bronzer, Be Flawless Veil, Halo Glow Finishing Veil. I also their eye shadows! Hot Chocolate is my favorite!
I can't say enough good about Smoky Mountain Minerals!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Just placed my order for the Smokey Mountain Mineral starter kit.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Just placed my order for the Smokey Mountain Mineral starter kit.
Glad to hear that KeirasMom! I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
What did you think of the Tarte Amazonian Clay - that's one that I am considering buying. I want full coverage but it seems like it may be too much coverage (make up my mind I know!)

I just started using a Clarisonic and that seems to be really helping my skin. I stopped doing facials awhile ago so maybe the Clarisonic will make me love the Mac again
I think tarte is nice. You apply it with a brush so you can buff it out. There is a learning curve, I suppose. It is thick & can look bad if not applied correctly. I remember I used way too much when I first got it. A tiny bit is all you need. You can add more if you need to.

I love my Clarisonic Mia. I get lazy & skip using it for a while & then wonder why as soon as I start again.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
I have never had luck with mineral foundation. It always looks like chalk on and never seems to blend with my skin right. Plus, I have very dark circles I need to cover and minerals make them look worse. Anyone have a solution to this? I'd love to wear it since it is so much better for the skin.

My favorite foundation, oddly enough, is Covergirl 'Tone Rehab' which is sort of half foundation, half cream. I don't know what the 'rehab' is but it blends nicely and gives the smoothest skin I've ever had, better than my old Laura Mercier which was 40 bucks!
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peretroika View Post
I have never had luck with mineral foundation. It always looks like chalk on and never seems to blend with my skin right. Plus, I have very dark circles I need to cover and minerals make them look worse. Anyone have a solution to this? I'd love to wear it since it is so much better for the skin.
Before I tried Smoky Mountain Minerals I used to use BE....but....I was never really happy with it and didn't understand all the hype about it. I was never able to find the right shade for my skin and as you are saying, it looked chalky on and didn't blend with my skin. I wasn't aware then that all mineral foundation isn't created equal. BE contains bismuth oxycholoride which is very irritating to skin. It causes redness & itching and it makes skin look shiney. Smoky Mountain Minerals contains no bismuth oxycholoride.
I also believe the brush you use to apply your mineral foundation makes a difference. I LOVE EcoTools brushes! They are so soft and I've never had an issue with them "shedding". They are also reasonably priced. I use their retractable kabuki brush when I apply my foundation. I apply it in small circular motions working from the inside of my face to the outside.
As for dark circles. I have those as well. I've watched many videos on YouTube and watch all the beauty shows on QVC and have learned the way to deal with dark circles is to use a corrector. Something with a salmon or a pink base will brighten this area. I use the Smoky Mountain Mineral Bright Eyes Pink Concealer. I apply this to my undereye area using either my fingers or a concealer brush. I then apply a little of the Smoky Mountain Minerals Neutral Cream Concealer. I set this with a light layer of Smoky Mountain Minerals Well Rested (a powder). I apply this with a fan brush. I then apply my Smoky Mountain Minerals foundation.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-13-2013 at 05:01 AM..
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I used L'Oreal in a glass jar with a pink lid that was square (obviously cannot remember the name) but it was a mousse. But since I've been LC'ing, I have to say that it's almost not needed? I put it on some redness right by my nose, but a few months ago I got to the point where I realized it was looking more caked on than helpful. I just bought two new kinds that are supposed to help with aging. I'm 33 but noticing fine lines next to my nose. I know it's not "aging" per se. It's more so I need to hydrate better and am losing weight. It shifts like this, but my foundation was just falling into those lines. Yuck.

Read me
And also...
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

KeirasMom-Just wondering how you're liking Smoky Mountain Minerals so far
Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #14

It hasn't arrived yet. The tracking says it's supposed to be here today, but I had it sent to work and nobody's there on Saturdays. Guess I'll get it Monday.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It hasn't arrived yet. The tracking says it's supposed to be here today, but I had it sent to work and nobody's there on Saturdays. Guess I'll get it Monday.
Wow....thought you'd have gotten it by now.....but.....just realized you're in California. I usually get my orders in about 3-4 days....but, I'm in NJ and Smoky Mountain Minerals is in NC. Hopefully you'll get it soon! I'm anxious to hear how you like it!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Just an update - I ended up getting Urban Decay Naked and I love it! Great coverage and it feels great. It stays on well also. I seem to be making a change to Urban Decay everything these days
Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gdever1975
I use Tarte's BB cream and really like it. It has a good amount of coverage and easy to apply. Stays all day for me! I am an Urban Decay junkie too. Love their makeup line.
gdever1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Just an update - I ended up getting Urban Decay Naked and I love it! Great coverage and it feels great. It stays on well also. I seem to be making a change to Urban Decay everything these days
Happy to hear you found something that you love!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
JerseyGyrl, thanks for mentioning Smoky Mountain Minerals! You've solved a problem I was dreading facing.

I use MAC mineralize liquid (will have to change when I run out as they've discontinued it), MAC studio tech cream foundation, and MAC studio fix powder foundation all together to cover major skin problems, but even in NC15 the studio tech is a bit dark. At least I don't look like I've developed a lovely case of skin rust though. Evidently I have no peach in my skin tone, which makes it hard to match. So as a finish I go over the lot with Physician's Formula green mineral powder to get the right shade of pale, but I think that they're discontinuing it soon. So knowing that Smoky Mountain does a green shade is a great relief.
solarpluvia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
I use Estee Lauder double wear foundation. I have terrible skin really so need something that is quite covering, but it doesn't feel too heavy for a foundation that has great coverage. Lasts all day.
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
JerseyGyrl, thanks for mentioning Smoky Mountain Minerals! You've solved a problem I was dreading facing.

I use MAC mineralize liquid (will have to change when I run out as they've discontinued it), MAC studio tech cream foundation, and MAC studio fix powder foundation all together to cover major skin problems, but even in NC15 the studio tech is a bit dark. At least I don't look like I've developed a lovely case of skin rust though. Evidently I have no peach in my skin tone, which makes it hard to match. So as a finish I go over the lot with Physician's Formula green mineral powder to get the right shade of pale, but I think that they're discontinuing it soon. So knowing that Smoky Mountain does a green shade is a great relief.
Solarpluvia, glad I could help!

I used to use the Physician's Formula green mineral powder for redness on my cheeks and nose. I noticed it becoming more difficult to find and wondered if they're discontinuing it. That being said, I think you'll like the Smoky Mountain green corrector just as well, maybe even better.

If you sign up for the email newsletter, they run specials every week, many times 20% - 30% off and they ALWAYS have FREE shipping!! I've been ordering from them for 7+ years now and have NEVER had an issue. They are an excellent company to deal with.

Being makeup obsessed I am always anxious to hear how someone likes a product I've recommended....so...I hope you'll let me know how you like this once you've tried it
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
Well, I have enough of the green Physician's Formula to last several months because every time the one store that carries it here stocks it (once a quarter, I think), I've bought a couple. They seem to be pushing the new shimmery "correcting" blend that is full of peach and I suspect that they've stopped manufacturing the plain green and are just selling out the old stock.

I wish I enjoyed makeup for itself, but for me it is about feeling like no one is staring at me when I'm out of the house. And despite allergies and weird skin tone, I've found a set of products and method that works and lasts all day. I was heartbroken when Estee Lauder stopped making Prescriptives about the time I started to need to wear makeup all the time, because they actually had a shade that matched my skin. So I'm always on the lookout, as it often seems that once I start using something the company stops making it.
solarpluvia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
So I'm always on the lookout, as it often seems that once I start using something the company stops making it.
Oh don't get me started on the many products I've loved that have been discontinued! It just thoroughly infuriates me! Perfect example, I searched months & months for a good concealer and came across Maybelline Dream Mousse Concealer. I it! Well....wouldn't you know, they discontinued it!!! Then, to make matters even worse....I use the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation in the Fall & Winter months, which they still make....however, they discontinued my particular shade!
I've had the same experience with hair color. EVERY shade of hair color I've ever used has been discontinued! I finally went with Dark Brown....hopefully they won't discontinue that!!! Its SO frustrating!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Wow....thought you'd have gotten it by now.....but.....just realized you're in California. I usually get my orders in about 3-4 days....but, I'm in NJ and Smoky Mountain Minerals is in NC. Hopefully you'll get it soon! I'm anxious to hear how you like it!
I finally got it on Monday and have tried it a couple of times. It's lighter than I expected, so I'm not too happy with it, but only because I ordered the wrong color. The starter kit was also trial sizes and I expected them to be full size. I may try another kit at a later date, but with how long it took to get here, I'll probably hold off for a while.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I finally got it on Monday and have tried it a couple of times. It's lighter than I expected, so I'm not too happy with it, but only because I ordered the wrong color. The starter kit was also trial sizes and I expected them to be full size. I may try another kit at a later date, but with how long it took to get here, I'll probably hold off for a while.
The first time I ordered, I ordered the wrong color foundation as well. They have a darkener powder (they also make a lightener powder if your foundation is too dark) you can add to make the foundation darker. I've used it and it works great!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cristy.R
Can anybody suggest a good mineral foundation for skintone close to light brown? I looking for mineral foundation specifically to see if it won't cause my acne to breakout.
Cristy.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristy.R View Post
Can anybody suggest a good mineral foundation for skintone close to light brown? I looking for mineral foundation specifically to see if it won't cause my acne to breakout.
Studio Mineral Makeup (formerly Smoky Mountain Minerals ). They have several shades; It doesn't contain any bismuth oxychloride or talc so, it shouldn't cause you any skin issues
Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Studio Mineral Makeup (formerly Smoky Mountain Minerals ). They have several shades; It doesn't contain any bismuth oxychloride or talc so, it shouldn't cause you any skin issues
Thanks, I'll definitely check them out. My sister-in-law let me try out her from Mirabella Beauty. So far they haven't irritated my skin by since her skin is a lot lighter than mine, I can't get the shade right. My face separated from my body since it ends up too light compared to the rest of my body. lol. Maybe I'll go to a shop and see what shade suits me and find an equivalent from Mirabella or Studio. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Studio Mineral Makeup sells a lightering or a darkening powder to add to the mineral foundation if you're having a problem finding your perfect shade
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Studio Mineral Makeup sells a lightering or a darkening powder to add to the mineral foundation if you're having a problem finding your perfect shade
Sounds great. I'll definitely try them out Thanks.