Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 248/238.4/140
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting July 2014
Rosacea

Anyone else struggling with this dreadful condition? I have tried so many creams and ointments with not much luck I am currently using Mama Nature's cream with tea tree oil which kills demodex mites, no improvement as yet. I use BB cream (green tinted) and mineral powder to cover the redness. But I wish I could improve my bare skin so I didn't feel I had to cover it all the time. I'd love to hear what worked for anyone else.
Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Have you tried coconut oil and oil cleansing yet? It has worked wonders after one week of doing it for me. I have eczema on my face and dry angry red patches which have now calmed down significantly.

I am now taking a new miracle supplement, silica. I take it as diatomaceous earth and also a colloidal silica supplement, which is supposed to support healthy skin. Not sure if this has helped me, but I have had less eczema and redness.

I have never been diagnosed with rosacea, but I have all the markers/symptoms. Mine is mainly on my cheeks near my nose. It gets worse when I have stress and when my immune system is not as good.

I would be careful with anything with tea tree in it, as it is very harsh on skin, especially on the face. Virgin coconut oil has many of the same properties that tea tree oil has, but it is much gentler.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I agree about the tea tree. I think it risks making any inflammation a lot worse! be careful.

I don't have that problem per se, but my skin is so sensitive that ANYTHING makes it red and difficult. I honestly never wash my face. When showering, sometimes, I rub my face with my hot wet hands and then briskly towel it dry when I get out. that is the most "cleansing" and "exfoliation" I can stand. when I used to get stupid enough to use "facial" products my skin would be inflamed for a week or more.

I am just saying, be sure to try eliminating anything that might be making it worse.

good luck.

oh, and knowing next to nothing about it, I admit, I would think over the counter hydrocortisone cream would be helpful.

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-19-2013 at 01:20 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Hi ladies

Yes I agree re: tea tree oil, however this cream has some very good reviews so I thought I'd give it a whirl. My face hasn't reacted to it, in fact my skin feels lovely and soft, but there's no reduction in the redness either. The premise of the tea tree lies in the theory that rosacea is caused by demodex mites, so if that isn't the problem then I guess it won't help. I did try coconut oil once with no results but might give it another go, I use it to make homemade natural deodorant so always have it around strangely, my face responds well to Lush's Ocean Salt scrub, applied gently. It reduces the redness for a while. Strange :/
Old 03-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lewlew48
I alternate between washing and moisturizing with coconut oil and using josie moran's argan oil facial cleaner and argan oil moisturizer. I also use a washcloth that's designed to remove makeup (available at Bed Bath Beyond) and never rub my face. So far, this has worked better for me than anything I've tried or been prescribed. Good luck
lewlew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I have rosacea, but so did my Grandpa, and my brother and a nephew, so I don't think mine is caused by a mite. Unless it is a genetic allergy to the mite? Not sure how a mite would cause the busted blood vessels. Interesting theory, I will have to look into it! There could be many causes. Most days I use just water to clean my face and CO occasionally on the rare times I wear mascara. I would love to have my spider veins caused by rosacia removed, I hate them. I use Garnier BB cream (I haven't seen a green one, but I also haven't looked, Now I will!) and that seems to help calm the redness some. I know when I eat wheat I have a more pronounced redness and it covers more area. I suspect an inflammatory response.
Some days are better than others. I go bare-faced a lot if I am just staying at home.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Mine has gotten so much better being LC and gluten free. I ate something with gluten in it last week and when I woke up the next morning my face was much redder than before. I am convinced that gluten and grains are a major culprit for me. I can't use CO on my ace because it breaks me out but I love the way it makes my skin feel. I use it as an all over moisturizer.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Well the tea tree cream hasn't helped :/ the only thing that has ever helped was Prosacea which is a sulphur based gel, it did reduce the redness but the smell was unbearable
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
WOE: Atkins
The only thing that has ever worked for me was going to a derm and getting prescriptions for antibiotics and Renova. I have great skin now and I'm so glad I sucked it up, cried in the doctors office, and got better skin! I messed around with every home remedy under the sun, they work for some people, for me it just got redder and more painful. Good luck!
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I suffered with rosacea for years. Cream after cream and finally bottles and bottles of antibiotics. It all went away after I went off gluten. Not one of the half dozen doctors I saw ever so much as suggested it might be diet related.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I have tried everything from prescription to various anti inflammatory supplements. Nothing makes much of a difference.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by peretroika View Post
The only thing that has ever worked for me was going to a derm and getting prescriptions for antibiotics and Renova. I have great skin now and I'm so glad I sucked it up, cried in the doctors office, and got better skin! I messed around with every home remedy under the sun, they work for some people, for me it just got redder and more painful. Good luck!
This is the best advice. I also had to get professional help for this disorder. Even though the cause still isn't really known, it is a disorder of the blood vessels and can even affect the eyes. There is no cure, but there is control.

Years ago, when I was much younger, I tried drying agents, creams, granular facial scrubs and special soaps. Nothing worked until I got the prescriptions and learned the life style changes needed. No longer do I have the bumps and red swelling, but I'll always have the visible blood vessels on my cheeks.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 56 (-223#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
I had used proactiv products which helped more than the anti fungal type of gel that a dermatologist gave me. 4 years later, I was diagnosed with diabetes. When I controlled my blood glucose levels, the rosacea improved dramatically; I no longer have the disease since bringing my glucose under control, and losing weight. Now, going thru menopause, I have facial skin dryness that I am using vitamin E capsules which work!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarahdub
I just saw a naturopath doctor yesterday regarding my acne rosacea. He took sebum samples from the sides of my nose, my forehead and my chin. Right there in the office he looked at the samples under a microscope and confirmed his suspicion that I have a large amount of demodex mites (both human kinds) that can cause rosacea.

It's so gross, but I'm so glad that there is hope that with treatment to kill the demodex - takes six months - the acne rosacea that's gotten increasingly worse since puberty will be reversed.

The connection between demodex and rosacea has been fact in eastern medicine for many, many years. It's just started to get noticed in western medicine as evidenced in this webmd article Are Mites Causing Your Rosacea?

Good luck to you all! I found this forum thru a google search. The connection between low carb and rosacea in light of the demodex is that carbohydrate sensitivity weakens our immune systems and creates a breeding ground in our sebaceous glands and follicles for these little buggers.
Sarahdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdub View Post
I just saw a naturopath doctor yesterday regarding my acne rosacea. He took sebum samples from the sides of my nose, my forehead and my chin. Right there in the office he looked at the samples under a microscope and confirmed his suspicion that I have a large amount of demodex mites (both human kinds) that can cause rosacea.

It's so gross, but I'm so glad that there is hope that with treatment to kill the demodex - takes six months - the acne rosacea that's gotten increasingly worse since puberty will be reversed.

The connection between demodex and rosacea has been fact in eastern medicine for many, many years. It's just started to get noticed in western medicine as evidenced in this webmd article Are Mites Causing Your Rosacea?

Good luck to you all! I found this forum thru a google search. The connection between low carb and rosacea in light of the demodex is that carbohydrate sensitivity weakens our immune systems and creates a breeding ground in our sebaceous glands and follicles for these little buggers.
Thanks for sharing that. Really interesting info. I have mild rosacea across my nose and cheeks. Worth looking into.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote