Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Skin Care / Make-up (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-skin-care-make-up/)
-   -   Coconut oil as a moisturizer? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-skin-care-make-up/798313-coconut-oil-moisturizer.html)

rotay60 03-02-2013 06:26 AM

Coconut oil as a moisturizer?

For those of you that use CO as a moisturizer, are you not concerned about clogging of the pores? It seems pretty oily to me.

Salad Spinner 03-02-2013 06:37 AM

I use a teeny amount and don't have a problem and I have oily skin to begin with. I use a little more around my mouth and eyes. I absolutely love it! I was starting to be concerned w/my Mary Kay and the chemicals in it. Even my husband one day asked me if I ever thought about all the chemicals I put on myself w/all those lotions and potions I have, lol. But it did make me think about it and thats how I decided I'd try the co. The only problem I seem to have is wanting to lick my fingers before I get it on my face. I put it on right before bed. Hope it works for you and if not, eat it! Yumm!

brr9270 03-02-2013 06:45 AM

I have only used it on my body, not my face. I have had no problems with it clogging pores on my body. I keep a jar in the bathroom for after my shower.

sjl330 03-02-2013 06:48 AM

I've used it for years on my face and my whole body. No problems at all. I love it!

Maryposa 03-02-2013 03:17 PM

I use it and it has not clogged my pores. I have very sensitive skin, and dry patches. Pretty much any other moisturizer either doesn't do it (dry patches re-appear) or causes irritation.

The only other thing that addressed my dry patches but did not cause irritation was Dior Hydro Life Sorbet ... but the regular price is $60 and now that my friend doesn't work for them anymore, no more samples lol

At the time I was using the Dior product I was concerned that coconut oil would clog my pores, but my mom had started using it and finally talked me into giving it a shot...

It's been great and much less expensive per ounce ;)

Maryposa 03-02-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brr9270 (Post 16290293)
I have only used it on my body, not my face. I have had no problems with it clogging pores on my body. I keep a jar in the bathroom for after my shower.

Me too, I keep it on the sink counter and use it after I dry off from a shower :)

Mimosa23 03-04-2013 02:47 AM

I love it!

I have been using it for a while and have no problems whatsoever. It also helps with eczema on my face.
I use it together with argan oil.

I've actually had clearer skin since using it.

DiamondDeb 03-04-2013 02:55 PM

I don't use it on my skin because it is very high on the comedogenic list - meaning it is very likely to clog pores. It causes horrible problems for some people but others are fine using it. I don't want to take a chance. There are lots of other, non-risky things I can use.

dawnyama 03-04-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjl330 (Post 16290297)
I've used it for years on my face and my whole body. No problems at all. I love it!

Me too!! I Love coconut oil :love: and use it everywhere. I love it on my face.

Emmaline 03-10-2013 08:39 AM

I use it everywhere as well, it really agrees with me.

bacon bit 03-21-2013 05:05 PM

Coconut oil has cleansing properties, that's why it works so well (for many). I use it in the natural products I make and use it on my body and in a face scrub. I've sold more of those things than any other, so I guess people really enjoy it!

CTH 03-25-2013 09:19 PM

For years I suffered with sensitive skin, redness, irritation, especially after shaving. I tried many creams, moisturizers, to no avail. A friend gave me a bottle of Argon oil. I too felt a little reluctant about putting oil on my face....

But the results are amazing... After about 7 days no redness, no irritation and my wife says my skin has never looked better. I swear by the stuff now!

GME 03-25-2013 09:38 PM

I use it on my face. My pores clog pretty easily, but the CO doesn't do it.

I have tried other stuff that was much more $$$$$$, but CO does a better job for a small fraction of the price.

pocahontas 03-27-2013 10:50 AM

I put CO on my face every night before bed. Face, neck, chest and hands. It has never clogged my pores and makes my skin look fresh and nourished! I use a Coconut Body Butter from Trader Joe's out of the shower in the morning on the rest of my body.

DiamondDeb 03-27-2013 02:38 PM

I still get the best results using the first oil I ever used on my face - Castor Oil. It gets rid of redness, dry flaky skin, clears pores and even gets rid of blemishes. I use other creams on my skin at times but any time I need some extra care for my skin I go back to Castor Oil & see great results.

sjl330 03-27-2013 04:56 PM

I clean my face with the OO/Castor oil mixture, but use coconut oil as my moisturizer. No problems at all from any of the oils. Which to me, is still quite shocking!!

cfine 04-01-2013 05:39 PM

I use CO all over my body except my face. I got pimples from using it on my face, but I absolutely love it for my body.

gotsomeold 04-03-2013 04:07 AM

CO's melting point is about 76 degrees. Which means on your skin it is going to melt and remain liquid. Which, in turn, means your pores and cells are able to absorb it quickly. (This is true of other oils as well). So, apply oil, massage your skin to wake up the pores and cells, let it set a few minutes (I really do mean two or three minutes), then take a dry cloth or paper towel and blot off the excess. It should leave your skin with a healthy, natural glow.

Even better than blotting (if you have time):
Most oils have intense anti-microbial effects (especially, but not restricted to, the MCTs in CO). Oil facials are amazing. After you apply, don't blot. Instead, wait five minutes then massage more oil on. Wait five more minutes and do it again. The pores and cells are saturated, they can't take in any more oil. But the extra gradually absorbs into the gunk in blackheads and pimples. The anti-microbial properties kick healing up a few notches. The saturated gunk loosens. After giving the oil time to do it's magic, steam or wash it off. Gradually over time blackheads reduce and vanish, pimples clear up faster, large pores shrink.

AND, after steaming/washing apply more oil, wait, blot. You got the glow.

Different oils work for different people. So, if CO is wrong for your skin hit the pantry and try something else.

peretroika 04-03-2013 04:52 PM

It really clogs my pores and makes me break out. I find almond oil works a lot better for me.

Lil'g 04-05-2013 07:19 AM

Like Heidi, I make natural body products and coconut oil is used in my soap, scrub, lotion and lip balm recipes. For a straight facial oil, try squalane, very light and highly moisturizing.

ladyvanessa 04-05-2013 08:12 AM

I use coconut oil daily as my facial and body moisturizer. It has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties, so it works great. My skin is normally dry but oily in the "t" zone, I have been using it for past couple years and never had any breakouts from it. I use it all over and my skin feels great!

DiamondDeb 04-06-2013 12:02 PM

Here are a few commonly used oils and their rating on the comedogenic list. If you like the idea of using oils on your face but have had breakouts or are afraid you would you might want to try an oil with a low rating.

The list I'm using is from Beneficial Botanicals. They have other ingredients listed, too, but I am posting only the oils. I've got the page bookmarked so I can check ingredients on products I am interested in trying.

Comedogenic Ratings
(causing acne)

0 - Will Not Clog Pores
1 - Low
2 - Moderately Low
3 - Moderate
4 - Fairly High
5 - High

Oils
  • Almond Oil - 2
  • Apricot Kernel Oil - 2
  • Avocado Oil - 2
  • Camphor - 2
  • Castor Oil - 1
  • Cocoa Butter - 4
  • Coconut Butter - 4
  • Coconut Oil - 4
  • Corn Oil - 3
  • Cotton Seed Oil - 3
  • Evening Primrose Oil - 2
  • Grape Seed Oil - 2
  • Hemp Seed Oil - 0
  • Mineral Oil - 0
  • Mink Oil - 3
  • Olive Oil - 2
  • Peanut Oil - 2
  • Petrolatum - 0
  • Safflower Oil - 0
  • Sandalwood Seed Oil - 2
  • Sesame Oil - 2
  • Shea Butter - 0
  • Soybean Oil - 3
  • Sunflower Oil - 0
  • Wheat Germ Oil - 5
  • Shark Liver Oil - 3

I have heard a lot of people like Jojoba Oil so I want to include it. Jojoba Oil is actually a liquid wax & is listed under Waxes on this site.
  • Jojoba Oil - 2
  • Sulfated Jojoba Oil - 3

One thing I really like about Castor Oil is that it is thick. Some people like that & others prefer an oil with a thinner consistency.

peretroika 04-06-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16358322)
Here are a few commonly used oils and their rating on the comedogenic list. If you like the idea of using oils on your face but have had breakouts or are afraid you would you might want to try an oil with a low rating.

What a great resource! So helpful. Thank you so much for posting it!

bacon bit 04-06-2013 02:31 PM

Trader Joe's carries jojoba oil, too.

Maryposa 04-07-2013 09:08 AM

I read that Marylin Monroe slathered her face in Petrolatum (AKA petroleum jelly)... seeing DDs list, since I am out of coconut oil anyway, maybe I will switch to petroleum jelly for my face!!!

KSH 04-07-2013 05:26 PM

Ive been using it for years, and was worried about the same thing at first, but it's turned out to be a great moisturizer! I get compliments on my skin all the time.. Recently I bought some emu oil and have started using that one my face experimentally. So far amazing! I still love my CO though :)

Aleina 05-03-2013 06:59 AM

I have used it in the past and only just restarted using it. I use it all over but not on an every day basis and find I do not need to either.My skin stays moisturised. But when I do it is a prolonged slathering with massage included. It does wonders for my dry skin.Maybe the thing is that when you use natural oils you need to apply when you need it as opposed to creams and lotions that want you to apply them daily . In other words we have been trained to think that moisturisers are only effective if we slather them on every day whereas you may not need it.

dawnyama 05-03-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16359491)
I read that Marylin Monroe slathered her face in Petrolatum (AKA petroleum jelly)... seeing DDs list, since I am out of coconut oil anyway, maybe I will switch to petroleum jelly for my face!!!

I was at my dad's house one weekend when I was visiting (court ordered) and my step sister (only 6 months older than I) was using Noxema to wash her face. I figured "why not?" Since she was using it, why can't I? I found out why as soon as I slathered it on :annoyed: Oh my!! Sensitive skin I do have :sad: My face broke out and my mom was yelling at me. This was many years ago. Never again will I slather anything on my face like that again. Patch testing all the way for me, baby. I also don't believe that petrolatum is that great for your face. I love it for my hands, does a great job on my dry skin in the winter. But not my face, won't try it there. How did it work for you?

Maryposa 05-03-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16407365)
I was at my dad's house one weekend when I was visiting (court ordered) and my step sister (only 6 months older than I) was using Noxema to wash her face. I figured "why not?" Since she was using it, why can't I? I found out why as soon as I slathered it on :annoyed: Oh my!! Sensitive skin I do have :sad: My face broke out and my mom was yelling at me. This was many years ago. Never again will I slather anything on my face like that again. Patch testing all the way for me, baby. I also don't believe that petrolatum is that great for your face. I love it for my hands, does a great job on my dry skin in the winter. But not my face, won't try it there. How did it work for you?

It's just fine.... I put it on after a shower, wait a while, then wipe most of it off.

Dottie 05-07-2013 03:24 AM

If you don't want to go the straight coconut oil route, Burts Bees makes a coconut foot cream that is really, really good for super dry skin.
It's made for feet and it's really thick and rich, but it's good for any super dry skin (I wouldn't use it on the face, or at least haven't yet because it's really thick).

Ingredients: glycerin, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, avena sativa (oat) kernel flour, lanolin, fragrance, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, quillaja saponaria (quillaja) bark extract, avena sativa (oat) kernel oil, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil, butylphenyl methylpropional, coumarin, limonene, linalool.