Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pauley
It's great as an eye makeup remover.
pauley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LoozingIt
Stats: 302/288.2/165
WOE: NoSugar/NoProcessed/LotsOfWater
Start Date: 1st, May, 2013
I have sensitive facial skin, and I have tried so many different cleansers and moisturizers, from store brand to expensive brands to specialty products from direct sales companies (BeautiControl/Avon) and nothing ever seemed to work. Since including coconut oil in my diet two years ago, I have noticed a small change in the overall tone of my facial skin. About three weeks ago, I got fed up with my facial products not working and actually irritating my skin worse so I threw them all away. I punctured a vitamin E pill and slathered the contents all over my face, and followed that with a scoop of coconut oil. I let it sit on my face for about an hour and then just exfoliated with a wash cloth. I have been doing that daily for three weeks and every person I see says I look younger, happier, and different. My skin is smooth, there are no angry red spots, there are none of the little flaky pieces of skin on the end of my nose that used to drive me nuts, I haven't had a single break-out, my cheeks aren't rosacia-red, and the oily parts of my skin are no longer shiny.
I realize that what works for me may not work for someone else, and I really think it's neat that there is so much information here. I hope everyone finds what they need.
LoozingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I read that Marylin Monroe slathered her face in Petrolatum (AKA petroleum jelly)... seeing DDs list, since I am out of coconut oil anyway, maybe I will switch to petroleum jelly for my face!!!
That's actually the last step in my nightly routine to banish my dry skin. It was recommended by a makeup artist I found on youtube and he swears by it. I thought to myself...self: why not?

This is his routine for eliminating dry skin:

1. Cleanse face using your favorite cleanser, adding just a smidge of baking soda for exfoliation. Just cleanse gently as you normally would and then rinse well and pat dry.

2. Put about a tsp. or so of glycerine (we had some food-grade and so I use that) in a spray bottle and fill it with water (I used a Tbsp. and use filtered water). Shake well and spritz this on your clean, dry face. Let it dry a bit (I fan myself lol).

3. Apply a film of oil onto face. I think he recommended a mixture of Jojoba, olive and almond oil, but I just use olive oil -- doesn't take much, just a thin film.

4. Last step -- apply a layer of petrolatum over oiled face and go to bed!

Over the past few years, my skin has become extremely dry (menopause?) and this little routine has really done wonders to plump it up and ease the dryness (hasn't broken me out yet -- coconut oil did, though).

He said once you get your skin in shape you don't have to do this every night - just when needed. I haven't been doing it that long, but very pleased so far (I think Step #2 is the key -- holds in the moisture). I may never buy expensive creams and lotions again lol.

Anyhoo...just thought I'd share. I never in a million years woulda thought to put a Vaseline-like product on my face! And now I'm doing it every night.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I've been using coconut oil on my face as a night moisturizer for at least a year now. I love it! I blot it right after applying, but after reading this thread, I think I'll leave it on a while longer before doing that.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
How much water in the spray bottle with the glycerine? That sounds very interesting.
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Sandy - when he made his video, he said to not worry about what size the spray bottle was or how much water was in it lol. Mine is a cheapy from the dollar store - maybe 3 or 4 inches high - probably holds no more than 5 or 6 oz. of water. He's British and goofed in the video, calling the stuff 'glycerol' - but he corrected it.

I also spritz the water/glycerine solution on after washing my face in the a.m. - and if I need to use makeup, oh boy, does it go on smoothly!

If you'd like to watch his video, just google 'Goss makeup artist, How to: Cure dry skin'.

It's really helping mine!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Body: coconut oil.
Face: almond oil, Shea butter, and glycerin.
Most products are available on netrition!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I clean my face with the OO/Castor oil mixture, but use coconut oil as my moisturizer. No problems at all from any of the oils. Which to me, is still quite shocking!!
Great thread and I'm enjoying reading all the feedback about Coconut Oil.

It's funny that I've been intending to start a thread with a question about consuming it (just bought my first jar two days ago - Trader Joe's). I noticed it was very moisturizing on my lips so I put a bit on my hands and then went back yesterday and bought a separate jar for the bathroom lol.

Sandy, how much do you use of each - CO & castor oil?
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth2013 View Post
That's actually the last step in my nightly routine to banish my dry skin. It was recommended by a makeup artist I found on youtube and he swears by it. I thought to myself...self: why not?

This is his routine for eliminating dry skin:

1. Cleanse face using your favorite cleanser, adding just a smidge of baking soda for exfoliation. Just cleanse gently as you normally would and then rinse well and pat dry.

2. Put about a tsp. or so of glycerine (we had some food-grade and so I use that) in a spray bottle and fill it with water (I used a Tbsp. and use filtered water). Shake well and spritz this on your clean, dry face. Let it dry a bit (I fan myself lol).

3. Apply a film of oil onto face. I think he recommended a mixture of Jojoba, olive and almond oil, but I just use olive oil -- doesn't take much, just a thin film.

4. Last step -- apply a layer of petrolatum over oiled face and go to bed!

Over the past few years, my skin has become extremely dry (menopause?) and this little routine has really done wonders to plump it up and ease the dryness (hasn't broken me out yet -- coconut oil did, though).

He said once you get your skin in shape you don't have to do this every night - just when needed. I haven't been doing it that long, but very pleased so far (I think Step #2 is the key -- holds in the moisture). I may never buy expensive creams and lotions again lol.

Anyhoo...just thought I'd share. I never in a million years woulda thought to put a Vaseline-like product on my face! And now I'm doing it every night.
My mother used vaseline on her face at night for years and her skin was gorgeous. I don't know for sure when she started but I clearly remember that she was doing it in her late 30s/early 40s. It is still smooth but she uses other products now.

Beth, I know you said you haven't been doing your treatment plan long, but how did it take for you to see results?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #40
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
Great thread and I'm enjoying reading all the feedback about Coconut Oil.

It's funny that I've been intending to start a thread with a question about consuming it (just bought my first jar two days ago - Trader Joe's). I noticed it was very moisturizing on my lips so I put a bit on my hands and then went back yesterday and bought a separate jar for the bathroom lol.

Sandy, how much do you use of each - CO & castor oil?
This is the thread that got me started with this many moons ago. You adjust the amounts of each oil depending on your skin type. I cleanse with this and use coconut oil as moisturizer.

OT: The Oil Cleansing Method

I've used vaseline on my face and just can't get used to the sticky, greasy feeling. I'm sure it works wonders but I'll stick with my coconut oil. I have started spraying my face with the glycerine and water too. When I remember, lol.
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Nice thread - I'm going to enjoy reading that one. Thanks Sandy!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
My mother used vaseline on her face at night for years and her skin was gorgeous. I don't know for sure when she started but I clearly remember that she was doing it in her late 30s/early 40s. It is still smooth but she uses other products now.

Beth, I know you said you haven't been doing your treatment plan long, but how did it take for you to see results?
My skin had become really, really dry so I did it every single night for about a week (had to kind of force myself since, like Sandy says, it's not altogether pleasant to have a thick, sticky substance on your face for that long). But, I loved the results in the mornings! Super soft and moisturized -- I'm just doing it now when my face starts to 'feel' it's getting dry again -- probably once a week or so. I've also been eating a lot of good, healthy fats since low-carbing, so I'm wondering if that's not also helping.

Still, I love that I have an instant remedy with ordinary products that I have on hand. I so wish the coconut oil had worked for me (love the smell), but something in it made me break out when I tried it topically, so I just put in my morning coffee now.

I also changed my pillow-cases every day, but I'm a bit weird about doing that anyway lol. Oddly enough, all that grease on my face never seemed to come off on the cases that I could see.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Topical coconut oil makes my skin very dry after a week.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Beth and Spanilingo!

I started off doing the CO at night - head to toe. I'm not sure I kept that up a full week lol.

Now I mix it with body lotion and use in the morning instead. It seems to be working really well as my skin looks and feels more hydrated. I am pleased the fragrance isn't overwhelming and wears off. (I didn't want to smell like sun tan lotion.) I have not consistently used it on my face, but I'm certain that would have to be a night time ritual.

So thumbs up! It appears to agree with my skin.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trinigirl
Stats: 160/158/145/139/132
WOE: Moderate Carbs.
Start Date: April 1st 2013
Love coconut oil
Trinigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
I use coconut oil all over (body and face and hair). Love.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: confusedtruffle
Stats: 165/TBA/125
WOE: VLC, Keto
Start Date: July 2012
Apologies if someone listed this already, but had to share in case..

I've been using Jojoba oil on my oily, acne prone (cystic and blackheads very easily) skin just around my eyes and around smile lines with great success. My skin absorbs it (due to jojoba's effects, it mimics your body's individual sebum composition) no problem.

Coconut oil actually made me feel like a grease ball. Body doesn't absorb it at all, it didn't make me break out though. Just felt like I covered myself in Vaseline that never dries.
confusedtruffle is offline   Reply With Quote