Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Natural body care/ wellbeing

I've been using a lot of sulfate free body care products and wanted to share with you what I've been doing/using so far.

I intend to go completely natural and try and make and use my own lotions and potions where I can.

Haircare:
I switch between baking soda/ACV, a natural hair soap bar, and diluted dr bronners' magic soap to wash my hair. In between washes I use my own dry shampoo concoction which I made from cornstarch, cocoa powder and arrowroot starch. I wash my hair every 3 to 4 days.
I also use a natural wooden boar bristle hair brush and brush vigorously every morning to distribute the oils in my hair.
After washing I use either argan oil or coconut oil to give some sheen and gloss.

Since going no poo I've noticed that my hair isn't greasy as I thought previously, it's actually normal, and the dandruff that I had occasionally has disappeared. My hair also feels a bit thicker (I need that, I've got thin hair...) and has more volume and is more manageable overall.

Teeth:
I use a toothpaste called Parodontax, which is a mixture of salts and herbs. It takes some time getting used to, but I wouldn't want to use anything else now. I use the fluoride free version. I brush my teeth with a sonic toothbrush and use it twice a day. (in the morning after coffee and/or eating and in the evening before going to bed after flossing)
I also oil pull with coconut oil for 20 minutes every morning when I get up.
I floss every night with unwaxed unflavoured dental floss.
Once a week I dip my toothbrush in diatomaceous earth before adding toothpaste and brush with that to keep my teeth nice and white.
So far, my dentist is happy. I will report back next month after my next checkup...

My gums are healthy and my teeth are really nice and white and bright. My tongue no longer has a whitish film on it, and always looks pink. I also don't have bad breath. (at least, BF commented on my fresh breath, even in the morning!)

Face: I wash my face with dr Bronners' soap, but I am going to start oil cleansing tomorrow. I want to give it a month or so before I report back.
As a moisturiser I use coconut oil or a mixture of coconut, jojoba and argan oils. I am going to make a moisturiser with oils, vit E and shea and cocoa butter, will let you know how that turns out.

Make Up: I use mineral make up from Silk Naturals, you have to blend your own foundation colour, which I like as in the summer I can make it slightly darker to suit my tan. The only things I am still using that is conventional are lip gloss, as I've not found a really great one which contains natural ingredients only and my mascara is also not natural, it's tube mascara. I used to use Blinc mascara, but found that Clinique does a better one which comes off easier.
I only wear makeup maybe a few times a month, so I don't really feel that this is an issue.

Body: I wash with dr Bronners' soap, which I like. I dilute the soap in water and keep in a bottle in the shower. I also use this for a quick shampoo. I put the soap on a loofah mitt and wash my body with that.
For moisturiser I've been using coconut oil and I had some bio oil left but that is not so nice, and too synthetic. I will make my own lotion too, so will report back on that.
After my oil pulling I drink a glass of water and then do a dry brushing routine, after which I drink some more water and then I shower.

Deodorant: this is where it gets difficult. I've tried tons of methods and products, but I still feel my Sure Invisible or Garnier Minerals with all the bad stuff do the best job. I really don't want to use the regular stuff anymore!
I've been trying out coconut oil and so far it's ok. I use a tiny bit in my armpits and then use a natural deodorant without all the bad things (I have a Weleda one) over it to give me a bit of fragrance. It does help with the smells, but it does not stop the sweat. Actually that's a good thing, I just wish society would think so as well, LOL! I found a recipe online for homemade deodorant, and will give that a go. Will get back to you on that one as well!

I am testing out a lot of things, so will definitely report more as I go along.

Anyone else going the natural way? How is it going for you and what are you using?

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I have 'sort of' transitioning away from chemical products. I started with the dr. bronners. As I liked the scent of the almond and my skin felt cleaner and soft after using it. It had been a gift.
Then I had the thought that maybe I could use it on my hair. I now alternate Bronners and suave clarifying as the bronners drys my hair out a little to much with daily use. I have very oily scalp and very curly hair, so brushing it like you do it pretty much out. And waiting to shampoo is very noticeable, even when I use a dry shampoo. I tried using it to shave my legs, didnt work out as well as cream, so I recently bought bronners shave gel. . . I havent' shaved my legs yet, so I cant say how well it works.
So my next step, I think, would be to try to coconut oil on my hair, rather than conditioner and hair cream. I already use Olive oil for a deep conditioner once or twice a month.

I also make a homemade sugar scrub for my hands and body (when I feel like a treat) using Olive oil almond oil and course sugar. My hands get stained from my job and this takes it right out. and it just feels and smells luscious to use it on my body and feet a couple times a month!

We buy desert essence toothpaste, ginger flavor. It is made with tea tree oil, which I originally bought because my DH was having teeth problems and after researching, I found that tea tree oil is a great thing for your mouth. I also buy their dental tape and those plastic toothpick/brush things as DH has deep pockets from type1 diabetes/dental issues. We use plain peroxide for mouth rinse at night.

I make my own nail oil as my cuticles get very dry, I mix olive, vitE, sesame, and almond oil. Brush it on my nnails once day and massage in.

I used to make my own body oil for just after showering, and am now inspired to do it again. I used VitE oil, Olive oil, Aloe Vera gel (plain stuff or I had a large enough aloe plant for a while I could harvest it) and a mineral oil that contained vitC, which I can't find in stores now and cant remember name. I know that vitC is good topically on skin, especially skin that has been exposed to lots of sunburns. So I will have to find a way to add the vitC. I also think I will add the coconut oil to the mix.
I'm also going to try to coconut oil for my dry heels. although I have some dr bronners cream stuff that i use right now. I also buy a heavy lotion from our local dollar store, because it is very basic and no chemicals.

Now my mind is whirling with all kinds of ideas! I recently started taking gelatin caps, for a knee problem I developed, and I'm thinking I could thicken my oil with a little Knox and there is the possibility that collagen is absorb-able, I'll have to do some Google research!

And now re-reading my post, I see that I use more 'natural' items than I thought, when I started writing. A lot of them, I do because it is less expansive and I can tailor them to what I think is healthy for me

How is it that coconut oil works for deodorant? That is one thing I have not switched away from EVER, lol. I don't mind sweating, I mind the stink I make.

As for makeup. . . Well I'll work on that as I use up what I have, although I did switch to bare minerals foundation because I like the coverage.

I also have some great books on making your own household cleaners!
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, you have given me new ideas, LOL!

As far as coconut oil for deodorant goes, it is antibacterial/antifungal, so it should stop the smellies. It works ok, I guess. I found a great recipe for a deodorant stick online, and ordered some stuff (shea butter, beeswax, cocoa butter, vit E oil, etc etc) so I can make some body butters and deodorants. Will let you know how that goes!

As for using Dr Bronners' on your hair, I recommend doing a vinegar or lemon juice rinse, so you don't end up with dry crispy feeling hair. My sister has very curly hair and she rubs a touch of coconut oil between her hands and then runs it through still damp hair. Makes it soft and shiny! I have wavy and thin hair, if I'd do that I'd end up with greasy strings! I usually use my coconut oil or argan oil to moisturise my face and body and what is then left on my hands I rub through the ends.

I recently bought a neem nail and cuticle oil from dr Hauschka. Not raving about it yet! Not sure if it is actually doing anything. I have to wash my hands so often at work, that I need to put it on hourly if it is going to do anything and the oil smells quite strong and that interferes with my work. So I am in a quandary!

I use a lot of dr Bronners and also white vinegar for household cleaning. However, my laundry detergents and softener are still Ariel and Lenor! I can't change yet! Will have to give that a go once I run out of the stuff I have now.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I did the research on how I can add vitC to skin care. Orange essential oil! and I read that it makes a great laundry booster? Might be too expensive for all that tho. I am going to break out my household cleaners book again and I"ll see what recipes are in there, I believe it had a short section on personal care.

Randomly I also ran across a study that showed that daily consumption of real lemon juice increased the amount of limonen 9(sp?) in adipose tissue which is believed to help fight cancer.

I will try the vinegar rinse, I used to do that when I was younger! Lemon juice tends to lighten my hair, and I like it darker.

I forgot to add that I add a couple drops of tea tree essential oil to my nail/cuticle oil. I started doing this, DH and type1 diabetes has some foot/nail issues so occasionally I am super nice and give him a home pedicure and use it on and under his toenails. I have a small 1/2 oz bottle, 1/3 olive oil, equal amount sesame, vitE, and almond oil, then several drops tea tree. Without the tea tree, it has a mild smell. With it, I can smell the tea tree. for sure, but it doesn't seem to linger.

Yes please let me know how the deodorant turns out. I tried a natural one once, I think Tom's and i still stunk when i got sweaty.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Just make sure with the vinegar rinse that you add about 1/4 cup ACV and about 8floz water...

I will let you know how the deodorant goes as soon as all my stuff is here! I have heard that the Tom's deodorant doesn't work. Apparently on various websites they are raving about how good the homemade natural deo is versus the storebought natural deos... We'll see!

Regarding orange essential oil: I would never put this on my skin. It is a photosensitising material, meaning that it could react in sunlight. Also orange oil is pretty astringent, and could cause dryness. (I work in the fragrance industry, ask me anything about any oil, and I'll probably have some horrifying information for you, LOL) Orange oil in household cleaner would be really great. I use a few drops with white vinegar and my dr Bronners. Cleans grease like nothing else!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

The vinegar rinse is working great! I also bought some of the Bronners baby soap as it is milder and seems less drying on my hair. Still haven't gotten any coconut oil, but I am also trying to use up some garnier hair products anyway.

I am now reading all the labels on my favorite lotions etc, preparing to make a batch. Have you had a chance to make/try out the deodorant? I have a friend who wants to go in with me on the stuff to do it if it works ok.

And thanks for the info about the orange oil. I live in a pretty low sun area, but still. I'll have to keep researching how I can add the vitC to a skin oil/lotion.

I tried out the Bronners shave gel. It worked a lot better than just the soap, in case anyone has same problem i did.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/122.2/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Mimosa- my natural body care is very similar to yours

Haircare:
baking soda/white vinegar rinse, or shampoo bar (I only recently started on shampoo bars, I have been using baking soda/vinegar for the past 5 years) Pre-wash treatment with honey and EVOO every 2 weeks. I also use cassia obavata every few weeks for conditioning.

Teeth: I use tooth soap. All the toothpaste (even natural ones) contain glycerine which prevents teeth from getting re-mineralization. Tooth soap I use has a great taste. I tried few of them but the last one is a keeper. I recently started tongue scraping and oil pulling for 20 min with either EVOO or coconut oil. My gums are not bleeding anymore and don't have a bad breath. I also see my teeth whitening. I use sonicare toothbrush and floss and try to brush my teeth each time after I eat (this is a new thing for me, if I can't brush I rinse really well). Every other day I rinse my mouth with food grade 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Body: I started dry skin brushing recently. In the shower I use natural shampoo

Deodorant: I spray magnesium oil, or apply coconut oil, or sprinkle baking soda

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

SweetMe-that's a great idea about orange oil as laundry booster. Maybe it available in bulk somewhere.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Hello both! I am making deodorant and some nice moisturizer this evening, and will let you know how they turn out tomorrow! I made a deodorant fragrance out of essential oils to add and to support the antibacterial and deodorizing properties of the product. I'll post recipes tomorrow! Xxx
Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Marika, regarding the tooth soap, what exactly do you use? I checked my toothpaste and it contains glycerine like you said.... Xxx
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

SweetMe, the bronners soaps should be diluted with water anyway, otherwise they are way too drying. I use one part soap, four parts water and keep a squirty bottle of the solution in the shower.

I also have a mix of 2TB EVCO to 3 oz lavender bronners to make a moisturizing hand wash. I have this in the kitchen and it works great to wash off all kinds of grime and kitchen smells without drying my hands.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok, I keep posting here today, LOL!
Just wanted to give an interim report on my first homemade whipped face cream and deo stick...

First off, all credit for the deo recipe goes to Wellness Mama, tons of great info and recipes!
I kind of did my own thing with the cream...

The deodorant stick:
Ingredients:
2T EVCO
2T beeswax
1T cocoa butter
1T Shea butter
1tsp vit. E oil
3T arrowroot starch powder
1 probiotic capsule
3 drops of my homemade oil blend
6 drops tea tree oil
5 drops grapefruit seed extract

Instructions:
In a bowl, put EVCO, beeswax, cocoa butter and Shea butter. Slowly melt. I did this with an au Bain Marie method. Once melted, take off heat source and quickly blend other ingredients in. Then spoon the mixture into empty, clean deodorant stick containers. I filled two 2oz containers. Then put the lids on and let set in the fridge, freezer or a cool place.
Will report on the use tomorrow!

Now for the cream:

Ingredients:
3T EVCO
2T Shea butter
1tsp vit E oil
1tsp argan oil
1tsp jojoba oil
5 drops healing oil blend
5 drops grapefruit seed extract

Put all ingredients in a bowl and let melt, whisk together and then let cool in fridge until just solid but soft. Then with an electrical whisk, whisk until fluffy and has a creamy consistency. Then put into an empty jar, put lid on and let cool a bit more. It is now ready to use. A little goes a long way! A pea sized amount was enough for my face, and melted immediately on my hands and once on my face it blended in quickly and didn't feel greasy.

Hope this is of use!
Xxx
Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Marika, regarding the tooth soap, what exactly do you use? I checked my toothpaste and it contains glycerine like you said.... Xxx
If you type toothsoap -that's the one.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Mimosa- Thank you so much for the recipe for deodorant and face cream

For the face cream I have been very happy with Honey Girl Organic Cream. It has beautiful pure ingredients but very expensive. I think I will try the recipe for face cream you posted, once I am finished with my cream
Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I have been using fluoride free toothpaste for a long time. Now I will have to check it and maybe switch to tooth soap. I tried making my own from coconut oil, baking soda, and peppermint oil but could not stand the taste.

I use coconut oil for my overall moisturizer. Can't use it on my face as it breaks me out with pimples.

I use dr. Bronners soap too. Love that stuff! I still use salon shampoo. I have tried switching over to more natural things but my hair looks horrible.

I use an organic laundry soap but I have plans to start making my own soon.

I don't really need deodorant much in the winter. I just usually use some coconut oil. In the summer I use the rock crystal plus some cornstarch. Works great.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I make my own toothpaste, body butters, body creams, scrubs, tea tree oil face scrubs, stuff like that. I will never go back to regular toothpaste, as long as this keeps doing what it's doing now. I actually sell my products, and it makes me happy knowing word of mouth is helping my closest friends and family ditch the chemicals. I'm not totally chemical free, but I am closer than I was before!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm terrible!!! Ordered tooth soap, the whip in peppermint flavor...

Now for a review of my homemade deo stick.
Smell from stick: pleasant, not very strong.
Application: goes on nice and smooth.
Use: I've been doing housework, cooking, walking the dog, lifting stuff and sitting around. Just had a smell of my pits, and all is still good! Not even a hint of any bad smell! I've been wearing the deodorant for 8 hours. I'm very happy!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
A great laundry detergent that is easy and quite effective is as follows:

1 cup borax
I cup washing soda
I bar Fels natha soap, grated.

Use 1-2 tbs per load. It smells so fresh!
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Emmaline, thanks for the laundry soap recipe. I will make some once I run out of my regular stuff!

I've been using the oil cleansing method now for a week, and I've got lovely skin now! Amazing. It really works! I have made up my own blend of 1tsp of castor oil, 4TB olive oil and 4 TB of coconut oil. It really works well for my sensitive and dry skin.

I got my tooth soap 5 days ago, and I've still got to get used to it. My Parodontax toothpaste was nice, it had a really salty minty taste, and the tooth soap is what it is called: soapy. Like the time I brushed with my dr Bronners! And it doesn't get my teeth as white as my natural toothpaste. I know my toothpaste contains glycerin, which is not recommended, but it sure was a lot better thann the tooth soap so far. Maybe I need to get used to it.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Mimosa- you got the tooth paste foam, right? I have to say I am not too crazy about the foam, it really taste soapy (sorry if I did not mentioned this to you). The liquid that they sell is really great.
I feel that between oil pulling and using hydrogen peroxide every other day my teeth are staying white.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I ran across this in a book and thought I would share with you all. I like to use fabric softener, but. . .
So use 2-3T vinegar instead. Helps remove any excess soap and softens cloths! I will have to patch test it on some of my fabrics, but sounds good to me!

Last edited by SweetMe678; 03-31-2013 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: mis-spelling in my excitement
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I definitely need to start making more of my products at home, because I know my body does SO much better when I'm not using chemicals on/near it! I do make some of my own products though, and I absolutely love them... nothing so complex or fancy as body cremes or anything like that yet unfortunately I'm open to learning though!

Basically, I stopped using shampoos and conditioners too some time last year... my hair has never been better! Granted it's still falling out thanks to my thyroid, but still. What's left of it is great

I use about 1T of baking soda to 8oz of water for my "shampoo" and that cleans my hair really well. For my "conditioner" I mix 1 or 2T (depending on how dry my hair is/how long it's been since I washed) of ACV with about 10oz of water (I use a 16.9oz bottle to mix it and fill it about 3/4 full) and one drop of lavender essential oil because I think it smells really good

If I want gels or anything like that, I make my own from Knox gelatin or flax seeds (if I'm feeling REALLY ambitious!) or I use the one natural product I've found out there that works. I try to limit my usage of any additives anymore though if I can help it.

I do like to use some Oyin Handmade "juice" spray on my hair after a shower though, because it smells great and is 100% natural! I know when I went to get my hair cut recently the stylist asked me what I did to my hair because I had NO buildup on it whatsoever, and she'd never seen anything like it. I was proud

I use coconut oil mostly on my body, although I'll occasionally use Palmer's cocoa butter formula on my problem spots because it contains collagen and stuff and I tell myself it'll help. That's my one little not-natural thing basically

For my face, I've been rinsing with warm water to wash it... applying a toner of ACV and water afterward to really cleanse the pores and to spot treat the acne... and at the end I use a very thin layer of coconut oil as a moisturizer. As someone with sensitive skin and very acne prone skin, this is working better than any other crazy expensive skin regimen I've tried in the past so I'm SO happy to have tried it!

For body soap I've either been using diluted Dr. Bronner's or these fantastic soap bars made of all kinds of wonderful things... Nubian Heritage is the company who makes them I really enjoy their African Black Soap and their Goat's Milk soaps.

I also make my own laundry detergent as well which is a step up from the commercial brands, but I could probably go a bit more natural on that too!

Oh, I forgot to mention too... deodorant is one of the few things I usually opt for the "bad" stuff with too. I really enjoy the Suave Naturals one I use, but I know a lot of what's in it isn't NATURAL When I know I'm not going anywhere far, or I'm not going to be sweating, sometimes I'll just dab a little bit of baking soda under each arm and that really helps deodorize. That's the issue with natural stuff though... it'll eliminate the odor, but not the sweat itself. Definitely healthier for our bodies, but yeah. Society doesn't love giant sweat marks
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post

I use about 1T of baking soda to 8oz of water for my "shampoo" and that cleans my hair really well. For my "conditioner" I mix 1 or 2T (depending on how dry my hair is/how long it's been since I washed) of ACV with about 10oz of water (I use a 16.9oz bottle to mix it and fill it about 3/4 full) and one drop of lavender essential oil because I think it smells really good

If I want gels or anything like that, I make my own from Knox gelatin or flax seeds (if I'm feeling REALLY ambitious!) or I use the one natural product I've found out there that works. I try to limit my usage of any additives anymore though if I can help it.
Just this week, I started using baking soda as a 'shampoo' along with ACV rinse my hair is really soft and shiny! It actually curls better and nicer. I like the idea of using knox to make gel. I might try that soon, although I still have a lot of hair products to use up or give to someone. I've also started using a little olive oil or coconut oil on the ends of my hair if I've going to blow dry or flat iron it. I mix about 1T ACV with about 8ox warm water. I forgot yesterday and mixed it with cold water. . . was a little shocking!

I also starting using the oil cleaning method on my face at night, I LOVE it. I don't have any castor oil, and haven't found any yet(haven't looked that hard) so I have been using olive oil and a drop or two of tea tree oil. I like the way tea tree smells anyway. I usually get a little zip or two this 'time of the month' but I didn't this time. And my face is just as soft as if I had used my specialty scrub, and a face mask. In fact, one of my problem areas, at the corners of my mouth is softening even more and not getting so dry now. And using the hot wash cloth before bedtime is so relaxing.

Hubby and I both started oil pulling last week. After three days my teeth were noticeably whiter, we started with EV olive oil, what we had on hand. I think I like the coconut oil better, tastes better now that I tried that. Dh is type 1 diabetic and has a lot of tooth problems, already though, his gums don't bleed as much, he is staying with the olive oil until we can get some sesame oil, as he doesn't like the taste of the coconut oil at all.

I'm still using up my lotion, but am pretty happy with the few ingredients it has. I mainly use it on my feet, since they get wet working and the skin gets dry and chafffed afterwards.

I haven't tried vinegar for my cloths yet. I haven't really done any laundry. . . :{

Mimosa ~ If you get back here, I'm wondering how the homemade deodorant is holding up after using it for a while now. My friend and my sister and I are all ready to go in on making some this month.

My mom, spends her time laughing at me, saying that a lot of what I am doing is what her grandmother used to do! But she even started using the baking soda for her hair, since she has sensitivity to SLS and didn't like how drying the Bronner's was.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Mimosa- you got the tooth paste foam, right? I have to say I am not too crazy about the foam, it really taste soapy (sorry if I did not mentioned this to you). The liquid that they sell is really great.
I feel that between oil pulling and using hydrogen peroxide every other day my teeth are staying white.
Yeah, I got the foam, it's soapy, LOL! Next one I'll get the original stuff... I do like how my teeth are though, and I'm getting used to the soapy taste. I brush my teeth once a week with Diatomaceous Earth, so they are nice and white now. I don't like using hydrogen peroxide, as I have sensitive gums, and it seems to make this worse for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
I ran across this in a book and thought I would share with you all. I like to use fabric softener, but. . .
So use 2-3T vinegar instead. Helps remove any excess soap and softens cloths! I will have to patch test it on some of my fabrics, but sounds good to me!
Vinegar is great for that! Thanks for reminding me! I also use normal white vinegar for cleaning my kitchen surfaces and getting rid of the calcium build up from hard water. Works well, and it is natural!

Quote:
I also starting using the oil cleaning method on my face at night, I LOVE it. I don't have any castor oil, and haven't found any yet(haven't looked that hard) so I have been using olive oil and a drop or two of tea tree oil. I like the way tea tree smells anyway. I usually get a little zip or two this 'time of the month' but I didn't this time. And my face is just as soft as if I had used my specialty scrub, and a face mask. In fact, one of my problem areas, at the corners of my mouth is softening even more and not getting so dry now. And using the hot wash cloth before bedtime is so relaxing.

Mimosa ~ If you get back here, I'm wondering how the homemade deodorant is holding up after using it for a while now. My friend and my sister and I are all ready to go in on making some this month.
Yes, the oil cleansing is great! My skin has never looked better, and I agree with you on the relaxing bit! Feels like I'm at a spa!

The homemade deodorant is good, I do like it a lot. I will use a different combination of oils for the fragrance next time, and add baking soda, just to try it out. But I have to say, it holds up well and I'll never go back to the chemical stuff!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Mimosa- talk to me about Diatomaceous Earth. How do you use it?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Quote:
I did the research on how I can add vitC to skin care. Orange essential oil!
If you're prone to hyperpigmentation, avoid using orange EO on your face and throat. It's very photosensitizing.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Mimosa- talk to me about Diatomaceous Earth. How do you use it?
I take two heaped teaspoons in filtered water and then another glass of water to chase it down. I do this in the morning on an empty stomach and wait an hour before I eat anything. I also mix a little with aloe vera gel and use it as a face mask. For teeth whitening I just dip my moist toothbrush in the powder and brush my teeth with it. DE is useful stuff!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Oh, I am so glad I came across this thread. I am looking into deodorants for my DH. He gets rashes from conventional ones and is allergic to some ingredient in them. Not sure which one, but know it is best for us to use natural--really natural. The Dove deodorant works OK, but once in a while he will have an outbreak of a rash using it. I have gone ahead and gotten some "natural" ones at the store to see if they do better for him. And they do. They do not cause irritation. But I found some recipes online for coconut oil ones and am ready to experiment. I just cannot find "beeswax pastilles". Whatever they are LOL. But I have cocoa butter as well as shea butter. For me, I use coconut oil underneath my regular deodorant. That combo works really well for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Oh, and I have just started oil cleansing. I love it!!! I have Josie Maran's cleansing oil--wanted to try it before doing it on my own. And I have Nubian soaps for my face as well (on my current eating plan I cannot do oils) . Love the Nubian soaps!!! They are great.

My doctor said to get off of synthetics. She is a hormone specialist I am seeing. She told me I am estrogen dominant and when I asked how to reverse it, she said that chemicals are the culprit. I have to stop using plastics and try to use as much natural lotions, soaps, etc as I can. I am on the way....not 100% yet, but will get there.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Dawn- I found the beeswax pastilles online