Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Yes, the oil cleansing is great! My skin has never looked better, and I agree with you on the relaxing bit! Feels like I'm at a spa!

The homemade deodorant is good, I do like it a lot. I will use a different combination of oils for the fragrance next time, and add baking soda, just to try it out. But I have to say, it holds up well and I'll never go back to the chemical stuff!
That is awesome to know. I am so ready to change over. About once a year I have to try different deodorants because I start getting irritated there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs S View Post
If you're prone to hyperpigmentation, avoid using orange EO on your face and throat. It's very photosensitizing.
I already look tan even in winter. But I'm still looking into other options. I still have quite a bit of lotion to use up before I start making my own. And it would be for my body. Since I started using the oil cleansing method I haven't had to use any moisturizer on my face.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Hi all!
Just checking in here.

I also wanted to let you know that after using tooth soap, and finding it.. well, soapy and not to mention very expensive, I've decided to make my own tooth powder.

I already oil pull with coconut oil.

Here's the powder recipe, courtesey of Wellness Mama for the idea, adapted to suit my needs/ideas/opinions.

Ingredients/utensils

1 big stone pestle and mortar

2TB Bentonite (cleansing, lightly abrasive, contains minerals and is absorbing)
2TB Diatomaceous Earth (contains minerals, silica, and is lightly abrasive)
3TB calcium/magnesium powder (minerals)
1tsp myrrh resin powder (antiseptic, healing)
1TB cinnamon bark, powdered and organic (antiseptic, healing)
1TB cloves, powdered and organic (antiseptic, healing)
2TB Celtic sea salt (minerals, antiseptic, healing)
Optional: dried peppermint leaves or peppermint, spearmint or cinnamon essential oil. Preferrably organic (I used 3 drops each of peppermint oil and spearmint oil)
Optional: to make a paste use 6TB or more of EVCO

Now, this does not taste nice. It's salty. I don't mind this, as I've used a salt based toothpaste for years, so this is normal for me.
If this bothers you, and you want to try out the recipe, use either powdered xylitol or powdered stevia to taste. The tooth powder is glycerin free, fluoride free, antiseptic and will help remineralise your teeth and care for your gums.

Mixing instructions:

With the the pestle and mortar, grind the sea salt until the salt is very fine. If using, add the peppermint leaves or oil. Blend well. Slowly add each other ingredient, and blend well until mixed before adding the next ingredient. Once all are added and mixed shake into a sealeable jar or pot and give it a good last shake with the lid on.

If you want to use it, NEVER dip your toothbrush into the jar. Shake out some powder onto the palm of your hand and dip your toothbrush here. Discard any of the powder left on your hand. If you decide to use coconut oil to make the paste, also use a spoon or knife to take the paste out of the jar before putting it on your brush.

Also from Welness Mama, she recommends using activated charcoal powder for teeth whitening. I tried this out and found it works well! I do this only once a week to once a fortnight, as my teeth are pretty white already due to my daily oil pulling with EVCO.

Happy brushing!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html

Last edited by Mimosa23; 05-03-2013 at 05:25 AM..
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Just wanted to add to my previous post: I made this tooth powder just for my needs. I realise that people with more sensitive teeth or gums may want something simpler and less abrasive:

4T aluminium free baking soda
1T celtic sea salt

You can then dilute this with diluted peroxide (3%) to make a paste. Non-toxic, and gives lovely white teeth.

Last edited by Mimosa23; 05-16-2013 at 07:46 AM..
Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi all!

Just checking in.

I recently made a wonderful magnesium body butter. Am using it daily to help improve my magnesium levels and to just moisturise. I once again used Wellnessmama for inspiration and adapted her recipe a little to suit my needs... I also gave a jar to my MIL, as she has been complaining of leg cramps. Hopefully it will help her!

I've switched all general household cleaners to regular white vinegar, which is not only cheaper but it cleans great and doesn't smell once dry! I also like the idea that it is non toxic so I'm doing some good. The only thing that I've not found anything great for is for the laundry. Everything homemade and store bought that is natural has not really worked very well, and for now I'm not wasting any more money and time on it until I find something that I find worth trying again, LOL!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Hello Mimosa!
Can you share your magnesium body butter, please

I also did not find anything good for laundry yet. I just use scent free laundry soap Seventh Generations and a cup of baking soda. I am not too crazy with the results.

I like using white vinegar mixed in water for granite counter tops and glass cleaning.

I have started brushing my teeth with baking soda diluted in water. The tooth soap was getting too expensive. Still doing my oil pulling. Switching now to EVOO from CO for a change. My gum disease is gone thanks to oil pulling.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

The original recipe, as created by Wellnessmama. (you can also find lots more fabulous recipes on her blog regarding body care and household cleaners. It's really my go-to place for all things natural)

So, here goes, with all credit to Wellnessmama and her brilliant ideas:

1/3 cup magnesium chloride flakes
3 T boiling water (if you don't use distilled, use filtered water at least)
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
2 T beeswax pastilles
3 T shea butter

in a glass/non reactive bowl or cup dissolve the magnesium with the boiling water and set aside. Then on as low a temperature as possible, melt all the waxes (au bain Marie/ double broiler style) and the oils. Set aside until slightly cooled and opaque, then with a mixer/blender whip up the oils. Slowly drop by drop add the homemade magnesium oil until the mixture is emulsified and fluffy. Cover and leave to cool in fridge for around 15 minutes. Once cooled, whip once more to get that body butter consistency. Repack in a nice jar.

The cream keeps for up to 2 months, because no preservatives have been used.

If you want, you could play around with different oils. I used a bit of cocoa butter and some jojoba oil. If you want extra nourishing care, you could also add vitamin E oil. I definitely like the stuff, but I feel there's too much beeswax in it, and I'll use half in my next recipe and add some vitamin E as well.

I'm with you on the tooth soap. Too expensive when you can make great stuff for a fraction of the price.

I love oil pulling too, and have now started using a blotting brush after my regular brushing to really get my teeth clean and gums healthy. So far so good. I have a checkup at the dentist at the end of this month, will report back on how it went!

Last edited by Mimosa23; 09-05-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Old 09-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the recipe Mimosa!

I will have to check what is blotting brush, never heard of this.
I love my sonicare electric toothbrush, it is awesome.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

I have a sonicare as well, which I love! Check out the blotting brush technique on youtube.... It looks crazy, but apparently it really works well. We'll see at my next checkup...

I'm going to make my own liquid deodorant, and put it in a roll on canister that I've got at home. Found a good recipe on livestrong, hopefully it will work. I have to wait for all my ingredients, so I won't make any yet. Will report back on how it went and with the recipe once I've made it and tried it out for a bit.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, please report back on the deodorant.
I have been using aluminum-free baking soda and it works great. I keep it in the salt shaker bottle in the bathroom. I tried CO this summer but it was not effective like BS.