Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mortegisdead
Stats: 245/198/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2011
Weightless related skin irritations. What works for you?

Weight loss related skin irritations.

Hello everyone!
I haven't seen this topic in any threads, and happen to be going through this issue. As I've lost weight in the past, mostly my tummy, my skin had been rather elastic. Unforgiving as growing older can be, this time around after losing 45+ lbs and my midsection deflates, my skin isn't retracting. Instead it's becoming the dreaded "weight loss skirt" .... Well, really more of a mini apron
Anyhow, the real issue is the skin under or rather at the fold of said flap. I've developed a crease in my skin which is very irritated and red all the time. I've tried, vitamin e oil, baby powder, and coconut butter to no avail.

Have any of you suffered through similar skin irritations? Have you found something that worked for you?

Last edited by Mortegisdead; 01-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Dang auto correct!
Mortegisdead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the important thing as far as I am concerned is to keep it DRY. I know it sounds stupid, but what works for me is wearing my underpants so the "waist" part in front goes there. It's more comfortable and prevents the problems you discuss. Of course you need to slip in and move it to the normal place before undressing if anyone is looking!

I recall a doctor once told me that many obese people get yeast or other fungal infections in places like this. that's what I try to prevent keeping it dry. you might want to try an over the counter anti-fungal preparation such as for vaginal yeast or athelete's foot?

Last edited by ravenrose; 01-03-2013 at 06:01 PM..
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
Coconut oil would be great for you I'm sure. It's very healing, and soothing. I use it all over.

And I like that idea about putting your underwear "there".
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mortegisdead
Stats: 245/198/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2011
Thanks for the input. As simple as it sounds I didn't think of putting the underwear there! As soon as I tried it my skin was so relieved. Thank you ladies! Hope my skin's elasticity improves some.
Mortegisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Def go to your doc and have them document this and the treatment in case you need plastic surgery in the future-you need this documentation for possible insurance coverage.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Sounds like you've found some relief. I concur with keeping your skin dry (use a blow dryer after a shower/bath if necessary). For skin irritations, I use zinc oxide cream (diaper rash cream). Do get it checked out by your doctor if it persists, as it could be a fungal infection.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote