Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
"Natural" body products.

I was watching TV yesterday and it had a story about something I had heard way back, lead in lipstick. Granted, it was one of those scare-you stories and most studies have said that the amount is trace. Still... it got me to thinking about switching to something safer. I sometimes use lotion and perfume and never put much thought into it as far as my body absorbing it, after all, with lotion you want that right?

I've been seeing my doctor for some issues and he prescribed a testosterone cream that I rub in nightly. I was skeptical. How could something applied to my arm make me feel any different, but sure enough, after using it for a few months my levels have gone up, which is good. It means my body is absorbing it and using it right? Well gosh, it something like that got sucked into my skin, what other chemicals am I coming into contact with that are going into my body? I'm not normally a tinfoil hat person, but I'm somewhat granola and this pretty much reinforces my decision to take a closer look at what I use and how it may be affecting me. I do use Melaleuca for cleaning so I'm set in that area. They do have a few products for your body too, but I like to test things out and there's no way to do that.

So...are there any recommendations for more "natural" products? I realize this is a wide scope as pee is considered "natural", but I don't care to use that. Do you have any tried and true ones?
Kris T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
No advice, but wanted to point out to you and anyone who might read that Melaluca is another name for tee tree oil. Tee tree oil is a miracle product that can be good for 1000 different things, but it is something that a fairly high percentage of people ae allergic to or develop an allergy to. So, use of it bears monitoring.
emily1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good point ^. So far, so good here, but you're right, some people have adverse reactions to "melaleuca alternifolia" (tea-tree oil). I've used their products since the early 1990s, cleaning products that is, with no reactions in me or my kids, which is good because I love it and love the smell. Some people hate it.

But anyway. I need to research what ingredients are in what and put as much thought as what I put ON my body as I do IN my body.

Last edited by Kris T.; 12-04-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
I'm quite concerned about the chemicals in beauty products. The FDA hardly monitors the chemicals in beauty products.

I frequent the ewg site, I enter the beauty product (lotions, make-up, hair products) I use and it rates it on a scale of safety and also lists if there's any potential allergens, cancer causing chemicals, etc.
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #5

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
There is a lot of info at ewg.org and you can search products at ewg.org/skindeep. It's eye opening...
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BitsyMay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris T. View Post
I was watching TV yesterday and it had a story about something I had heard way back, lead in lipstick. Granted, it was one of those scare-you stories and most studies have said that the amount is trace. Still... it got me to thinking about switching to something safer. I sometimes use lotion and perfume and never put much thought into it as far as my body absorbing it, after all, with lotion you want that right?

I've been seeing my doctor for some issues and he prescribed a testosterone cream that I rub in nightly. I was skeptical. How could something applied to my arm make me feel any different, but sure enough, after using it for a few months my levels have gone up, which is good. It means my body is absorbing it and using it right? Well gosh, it something like that got sucked into my skin, what other chemicals am I coming into contact with that are going into my body? I'm not normally a tinfoil hat person, but I'm somewhat granola and this pretty much reinforces my decision to take a closer look at what I use and how it may be affecting me. I do use Melaleuca for cleaning so I'm set in that area. They do have a few products for your body too, but I like to test things out and there's no way to do that.

So...are there any recommendations for more "natural" products? I realize this is a wide scope as pee is considered "natural", but I don't care to use that. Do you have any tried and true ones?
I actually make a lot of my own stuff. I order cocoa butter, coconut oil, shea butter, jojoba oil and essential oils. I melt them down, mix it all to the right consistency and add in essential oils for scent and use it as a moisturizer. I also make my own hand soap by adding essential oils to castile soap. I haven't yet been able to make a shampoo that I love so I just try to stick with the stuff I find in the organic sections.
BitsyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks ladies - I hope others chime in too. I'll take a peek at that link. I agree that products aren't regulated as much as I wish they were.

Bitsy, that's a great idea. So far I just use the CO for lip balm and on my smaller dry spots. And yeah, unfortunately I have to stick with my Redken shampoo/conditioner. I've tried all others and for some reason nothing else works. But I don't use any other product on a regular basis except for argan oil occasionally and for special occasions, Aveda hair stuff.

Last edited by Kris T.; 12-04-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
i've stopped using fabric softener and perfumes for just this reason. I wear eyeliner and mascara but no foundation and i've recently switched to coconut oil for moisturizing. i think alone these things seem safe but the cumulative effect of using a whole bunch of stuff is quite scary.

perfume alone is totally unregulated and i've read you might as well splash gasoline on your skin. I can't stand any perfumes now, all i smell is the chemical.
Tammy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #9

Gallery: pocahontas
Yes, all of this concerns me as well. I am very careful these days about all kinds of products that we use at home and especially on our skin.

I have been buying most of my beauty products from a local place here called 100% Pure. They have a website, check it out. I absolutely love their moisturizer with Argan Oil and SPF 30. I also really like their Red Wine Reservatol eye cream and just picked up a tube of the fruit pigment lipstick in color Fig. Their products are amazing and my skin just loves it!

For my body, Trader Joe's Coconut Body Butter is my fave! Its made with organic ingredients and contains coconut oil, shea butter and vitamin E. You cant beat the price of $3.99 either!

Last edited by pocahontas; 12-04-2012 at 10:40 AM..
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy2002 View Post
but the cumulative effect of using a whole bunch of stuff is quite scary.
Yeah, this I agree with too. I wonder if down the line some diseases will be shown to have been, in part, caused by the effect of all different things. Like it switches on a non-dominant gene that causes a disease. Who knows. I'm sure the future will tell.

Thanks ladies, glad I'm not alone. I talk with my friends about these things and their attitude is 'whatever, I'm going to buy xx because it's cheap.' I'm kind of the black sheep.

Last edited by Kris T.; 12-04-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
I have been buying most of my beauty products from a local place here called 100% Pure. They have a website, check it out. I absolutely love their moisturizer with Argan Oil and SPF 30. I also really like their Red Wine Reservatol eye cream and just picked up a tube of the fruit pigment lipstick in color Fig. Their products are amazing and my skin just loves it!
I totally forgot about them...I recently moved from Dublin, CA and remembered people talking about that company. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Yep, I went this way a few years back. I love the Tropical Traditions products - specifically their foaming liquid soap (I keep one in the shower) and their Baby Silk coconut oil face cream. I also use the 365 brand shampoo from Whole Foods, and recently started using the Avalon Organics Vitamin C Hydrating Facial Cleanser, which I use in conjunction with my Mia brush. My skin has never felt better!

I also use 100% pure argan oil on my face, right after I get out of the shower.

I quit using fabric softener many years ago when I thought it might have something to do with the chronic rash I got inside my elbows. Uh, yup. Rash gone, never to return. I use Costco's organic laundry soap.

Your skin is actually the largest organ in your body so treating it well is a good idea! I wish I'd started all this stuff many years ago - my 59 year old face doesn't match up with my 29 year old personality any more!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I use Melaleuca for the household items, I also use their Renew lotion... I think the orange bars of soap they have smell WAY too strongly of tea tree oil though. I like a softer scent.

LUSH also has all natural beauty products, I love their shampoos/conditioners/bath bombs/lotions/moisturizers/massage bars/lip balms

Oh and if you have a LUSH store nearby you CAN try everything out before you buy, just ask them for a sample to take home.

Last edited by Hazelsmrf; 12-04-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lush - I think they have a store at the Mall of America (which I conveniently live 2.2 miles from!!). Ooh..I might have to brave the crowds. It's insane this time of year.

..taking notes...
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Some Lush products do contain some different ingredients, but if you look online you can see the full ingredient list and why they put that in there. They have so many different products that it really depends on which product you're interested in.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Your skin is actually the largest organ in your body so treating it well is a good idea!
This. I actually had started clearing out and replacing my skincare/haircare and makeup products years before I even discovered low carb. If I could use items like pure coconut oil and shea butter and argan oil, other natural products, etc. (which actually work even better), I can avoid slathering my body in a huge list of chemicals. I use very little commercial skincare products now and only a select few commercial makeup items. I read the ingredient labels on them like a hawk, same as I do ingredient labels for food.

It makes no sense to eat organic, grassfed, whole natural foods, etc. but at the same time bathe myself in chemicals.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I bit. I got myself an early Christmas present and ordered a bunch of make-up from that 100% Pure company..gotta support my old stomping grounds. I can't wait to get it.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh wow.. I got my box from 100% Pure this morning!

Love it! I'm so impressed. It came with those dissolving packing peanuts. My order was shipped very fast, priority, packed very well. My free item was a large tube of lemon body lotion. The larger round item is blush and the inner tin has a mirror. I haven't used the products yet but I'm really impressed. I plan on placing another order as soon as possible.

The pink tube is hair balm, two smaller rounds are eyeshadows and the tube is a small lipstick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mu.jpg (33.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

Gallery: pocahontas
Kris, you will love it! I am really digging the fruit pigment lipstick. what color did you get?
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fig - so if I hate it it's your fault.

No, in all seriousness they were out of a few things (mascara and those lip butter thingies) so I can see myself shopping soon. I'm kicking myself that I didn't know about it when I was living in Dublin.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
i've recently switched to coconut oil for moisturizing.
Ok - I took the plunge and my skin LOVES it! I was worried it would be too greasy but the trick for me is to start with a very small bit and add to damp skin (or add a little bit of water to smooth it over my face). My face is really, really soft and it hasn't broken out. Usually it feels really dry this time of year (here in Minnesota) but it hasn't. Thanks so much for the tip.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
I use CO everyday! I do mix a little Jason Body lotion mixed in with it. Jason's has glycolic acid in it...I'm 56 and need some sloughing with my moisturizing!
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That;s a good idea!

I've using the c.o. for about a month now and have noticed such a difference in my skin, it's amazing! I've always had really difficult skin (acne, oily, then dry) and I'm actually able to get away with just a small dot of concealing powder in the occasional zit. My pores even look smoother. It's so weird for me to just not have to *do* anything to it anymore!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
What a great thread!!

Quote:
Kris T. I've using the c.o. for about a month now and have noticed such a difference in my skin, it's amazing! I've always had really difficult skin (acne, oily, then dry) and I'm actually able to get away with just a small dot of concealing powder in the occasional zit. My pores even look smoother. It's so weird for me to just not have to *do* anything to it anymore!
WOW.....I have large pores.....does anyone put c. oil on their face with visiable pores??

tia

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My pores have always been on the big size and I notice a definite difference. The best way to describe it is looks like my skin has been airbrushed (?) So my new regimen has been this:

At night I wash my face with a soap I got at my co-op, I think it's called Zumi? It's one of those natural homemade kinds that you can chop off the amount you want. It's a mild soap. I use almond.

Then I smooth a small amount (like half a T, I don't really measure) over my face and gently rub it in until it's almost all absorbed. It never really *completely* does, so I go to bed shiny.

In the morning all I do is splash a small amount of warm water on my face and with the small amount of CO left on my face, I rub that in a little more. No soap. The only time I use soap in the morning is the days when I take a shower. Then after my shower I use a small amount of CO on my face in the morning.

This totally saves time to not re-wash my face in the morning. I just use a small amount of makeup (that 100% Pure stuff that I buy online) some days-most days are makeupless as I go to the gym.

I'm serious when I say my skin has never looked better..finally at the age of 41 I can say that!!!!!

Last edited by Kris T.; 12-27-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Thanks for the infor. Well I "washed" my face last night, and hardly put any CO on my face......it either soaked in, or is on my pillow because I don't feel it this am.

I'm going to continue with it for a few days and see what happens. I also signed up for the 100% pure newsletter.

Thanks for all your help.

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Their makeup/skin care line isn't cheap, but I was due for some new makeup anyway..I only wish they sold it in stores so I could check out the colors in person. Some Ulta stores carry their skin care line, but no makeup (so far). I keep emailing Ulta and asking if they can. Most of what I've bought so far, I've been really happy with and like the colors/products that I've chosen. I actually got a compliment on my eyes the other day which hasn't happened before.

Good luck! The only issue I've had with the CO is that my dog now wants to lick my face at night..I've had to ban him from my bed!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
That's funny, my dog licks the CO off of me...I put some on my hands and she went nuts!
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alaskachick
Stats: 185/177/150
WOE: Atkins/Low-Carb Started JUDDD: 12/22/12
Start Date: October 10, 2011
i wholeheartedly agree with all of the above! i have been phasing out all my chemically cosmetics, and just recently threw out all my old perfumes. i WOULD like to find some 'natural', long-lasting perfume, but the only company i found would not give me a list of their ingredients as they are 'propietary' - whatever that means! i forget the name of the company...

i started using rosehip oil as a face moisturizer a few months ago - and one of my larger age spots is beginning to disappear!

may try that C.O.! thanks all =)
alaskachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mazella09
Quote:
i've stopped using fabric softener and perfumes for just this reason. I wear eyeliner and mascara but no foundation and i've recently switched to coconut oil for moisturizing. i think alone these things seem safe but the cumulative effect of using a whole bunch of stuff is quite scary.

perfume alone is totally unregulated and i've read you might as well splash gasoline on your skin. I can't stand any perfumes now, all i smell is the chemical.

ANY fragrance can be iffy - imo. Even the drier sheets can be deadly.

The less CHEMICALS you put on or in your body *or your babies - the better. I don't like the fact that the majority of these companies still test on rabbits, won't release the bad information and put this poison on the market, doing their own "testing."
Quote:
My cosmetics/personal care bag contains -
FACE:
Facial Cleanser (Honey Girl)
Beta-1,3 -D Glucan Skin Cream (Syngenic)
Smooth Skin Shark oil (Seagate)
Unprocessed Organic Coconut Oil
Assrted tinted moisturizers: (sukicolor, living nature, dr. hauschka)
Concealor (inika)
Mascara (Dr. Hauschka)
Mineral Cover up-powder (lilylolo)

Other items
Natures Baby Organics Dusting Powder, Rose Petals Rosewater by Heritage Store, Weleda assorted organic oils, and deodorants *citrus spray is my favorite. Deodorant by Lavanila and Hugo naturals.
Eco-Dent Daily Care Toothpowder, auromere ayurvedic herbal toothpaste and veganfloss dental floss.
kiss my face sun spray oil spf 30
pacifica lotus garden roll on fragrance in summer only (the only time I can handle a light fragrance)
Arnica Montana - by Arnicare for topical pain relief
Patchouli/mint bar soap by Zum
South of France Shea Butter Liquid Soap
Olivia Care Verbena Bar Soap
Mineral Fusion Hair products-may contain Gluten
Nourish Organic Body Lotion - wild berries
Yes to Blueberries body lotion

Aura Care Tamanu Oil

My cotton balls, swabs, towels are organic cotton. I really question those genetically modified things. I just don't trust them at all.
I love coconut oil for everything. In and on me I really try to find the cleanest/safest. I would love to try making my own.

If we could possibly just say no to the worst of them by NOT purchasing their cancer causing, brain numbing poisons - we would send a strong and powerful message that they need to come clean. Really clean.

Good going on the coconut oil!!

Last edited by Mazella09; 01-02-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Mazella09 is offline   Reply With Quote