Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Init4life
WOE: Atkins
Permanent Makeup

I made an appointment today for a consultation with a permanent makeup artist. I'm looking into eyeline and brows. Anybody have any advice to offer before I meet with her? She's been doing this for 10 years and is certified. She will soon be working with a doctor who does breast reconstruction, applying aereolas and working to reduce the appearance of scarred areas so I feel she's very experienced. Still, I can't help but be a little apprehensive about a change like this could be for me. In the beginning, I was only considering eyeliner but the more I look at my overplucked brows, the more I lean toward both procedures. Would love to hear from your experiences!
Init4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
No experience with that, but I've got my fingers cross that you'll like the results!!!!!

I've heard of laser treatments to permanently remove hair from various body parts, can they do that for eyebrows or what do they do?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I've also thought about eye-liner. Please update with how your appointment goes and what you decided.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #4

Gallery: KarbieGrl
I have permanent eyeliner. My sister-in law does this for a living --more than 15 years experience I believe. She is the best in my area.
Ask about touch-ups (if they are included in the price). (My SIL gives 3.)
Ask how long you can expect the color to last before fading. (Sun exposure will certainly have an impact.)
Ask to see before and after pics.
Does she offer personal testimonials about her service/work?
I love my eyeliner - but I wish I had it thicker. Renee (my SIL) wanted to give me a more natural look, so I went with it. It does look natural, but I am a make-up gal so I think when it's time, I will probably get it much thicker.

Here is the link to my thread from 2009... I am getting permanent eyeliner!

Last edited by KarbieGrl; 03-02-2012 at 05:03 AM..
KarbieGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tylar
Stats: 180/180/??? 5'7" 48
WOE: SB/301
Start Date: June 1, 2012
My co-worker got permanent eyeliner a couple of years ago, and it looks gorgeous. I'm definitely having it done as soon as I can afford it! My blond lashes are sparse, and I look almost sick without liner or mascara (people have actually asked).

Co-worker also had her lips done at the same time, but that only lasted a month or so. Apparently that's pretty standard for lip treatments, so I wouldn't do those.

BTW, she said the eyes were almost painless. A few days of healing, and all was beautiful!
Tylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shadylil
I've thought about permanent eyeliner because I turned allergic to mascara. I was one of those people who wouldn't call 9-1-1 if my house was burning down until I applied mascara. Now I wear NO eye-makeup and I hate it. I, too, would like your thoughts if you have it done.
Shadylil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I have my eyeliner done. Heavier on the top than the bottom. I do a yearly touch up:

CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #8

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
That's cool!!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Start Date: A long time ago
Pretty Cindy! It just defines your eyes without looking overdone. Now, I'd do I had a guarantee it would look like that. I'd be afraid I wouldn't like it, then of course you're stuck with it.
Oregon Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Pretty Cindy! It just defines your eyes without looking overdone. Now, I'd do I had a guarantee it would look like that. I'd be afraid I wouldn't like it, then of course you're stuck with it.
It will wear off but I will let you all in on a secret: it hurts like a mother!!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
It will wear off but I will let you all in on a secret: it hurts like a mother!!
I have mine done too! It hurt SOOOOO BAD! I need it retouched but am too nervous to do it again.
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyC View Post
I have mine done too! It hurt SOOOOO BAD! I need it retouched but am too nervous to do it again.
I've had 2 touch ups but Gawd have mercy, it hurts! And she uses numbing cream. She does a good job. But it is total stress for 10 minutes!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Well, here I am reporting on my permanent makeup experience! I gotta say, the whole brow thing freaked me out from the start. It hurt far worse than the eyeliner and then when I was done, and looked in the mirror, it was Groucho Marx looking back at me. They were so dark and heavy, I was sick... But today, 5 days after having them done, I'm feeling much better. The color has lightened up considerably (as they said it would) and with the swelling gone, they don't look so heavy. The shape is a bit different than I had in mind but I like them. The eyeliner wasn't without pain but the process was more annoying than painful. Something buzzing around your eyeball is stressful! We went with a charcoal colored eyeliner and I really like that. I considered a plum color since my eyes are green/hazel but she suggested that I can always add color as in a plum eyeliner above the charcoal liner or with eyeshadow and that made sense. If lips only last a month, no thanks! Now I'm thinking about the Juvederm thing for my liplines. I think I could become a junkie for beauty treatments! I wish I devoted the attention to my body from the neck down that I've been paying to my complexion and face. When I find somebody you can pay to diet your body down to size, I'll let you know!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Always on, slightly off

Init, I know everyone is different on the pain level on the eyeliner. My lady said most don't think it is painful. Yes, it always looks overdone the first 5 days, then scabs fall off and it is perfect.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna1 View Post
I had eyebrows and liner done by an "exclusive salon" and ended up with a crooked, smeared job. Had to find a professional who could correct the mess.

I have spent over $1,000 on it.

The "exclusive salon" provided no pain relief so I went to a doctor and got pain meds - a numbing cream and a glorified tylenol product. Paid around $200 for both. It hurt like heck.

At the remedial place, they supplied a much more powerful numbing cream and I used heavy duty pain killer left over from a previous surgery. Started out OK but by the time the 3-1/2 hour session was up the meds had worn off and the pain was excruciating.

When looking for someone to do this, get the best professional that you can find and look at picture albums of their before and after work. Also ask them about their pain control.
The lady that does mine is the tattoo artist that my plastic surgeons office uses. I like plastic surgeons offices for things, not day spa type places. I'm glad you were able to correct it.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: walkthebeach
Stats: 159.5/153.0/135
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Oct. 2002 (low carbing) hHCG 4/11/11 R1P2
I'm a licensed permanent make up artist. I do the hand method, SofTap. It doesn't hurt to have it done; there's some discomfort, but certainly no "excruciating pain." I have PM brows and liner; I luv it. SofTap needs to be touched up every 3-5 years. Any questions?
walkthebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkthebeach View Post
I'm a licensed permanent make up artist. I do the hand method, SofTap. It doesn't hurt to have it done; there's some discomfort, but certainly no "excruciating pain." I have PM brows and liner; I luv it. SofTap needs to be touched up every 3-5 years. Any questions?
What is the average cost to do the initial? Can you touch up other methods? Lots of colors?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxiemom
Stats: 208/188.2/160
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 9/9/11
Quote:
Can you tell me how much it would cost to have my eyebrows done? I checked the softtap website and there is one pretty close to me.
Doxiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #19

I've been thinking about this forever, and my hairdresser recommended the salon she uses for her brows and liner. They are reasonably priced and I love the way my hairdresser's eyes look (done, but not OVERdone). So anyway, I made an appointment for tomorrow! I'll be doing brows AND eyeliner!! Yikes! I'm nervous, but excited. I'm one who rarely wears eye makeup because I get itchy, watery eyes and I rub them and end up with raccoon eyes. I love the way my eyes look with liner, but only apply it for special occasions.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Have you recently had any Botox treatments? My eyebrow tatoo was gone within 4 weeks because I had had some Botox injected for crows feet prior to the eyebrow job. She wanted me to come back several weeks later to let the Botox go away but I didn't because I wasn't all that pleased with the shape of the brows she did. I get by with an eyebrow pencil. I do love my eyeliner tho. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #21

No botox, so that's good. I'm doing the initial consultation and first application today. She says she does brows and liner in a two part process so I will have to go back for a touch-up in a few weeks.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I've been thinking about this forever, and my hairdresser recommended the salon she uses for her brows and liner. They are reasonably priced and I love the way my hairdresser's eyes look (done, but not OVERdone). So anyway, I made an appointment for tomorrow! I'll be doing brows AND eyeliner!! Yikes! I'm nervous, but excited. I'm one who rarely wears eye makeup because I get itchy, watery eyes and I rub them and end up with raccoon eyes. I love the way my eyes look with liner, but only apply it for special occasions.
Oh I SO want to do this!!
how are you doing??? How did it go? Pain? Swelling?
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #23

The pain wasn't too bad, though it was a very weird feeling. She used numbing cream, so that helped, but it felt like my eyeballs were getting tattooed!

Swelling: There was a bit yesterday (the pictures I'm attaching are before and about 2 hours after--no makeup, so be forewarned!). Today, my eyes are puffy and look sort of like I have been crying, or had too much to drink last night.

The artist assured me that the liner and brows will both lighten a bit and will look thinner once the swelling goes down.

Overall, I'm pleased, but not 100% sure until I'm all healed! I also have a follow up appt. in 3 weeks to touch up any areas that didn't take, or didn't heal well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyes no makeup 1.jpg (24.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg eyes after.jpg (20.9 KB, 147 views)

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #24
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
The pain wasn't too bad, though it was a very weird feeling. She used numbing cream, so that helped, but it felt like my eyeballs were getting tattooed!

Swelling: There was a bit yesterday (the pictures I'm attaching are before and about 2 hours after--no makeup, so be forewarned!). Today, my eyes are puffy and look sort of like I have been crying, or had too much to drink last night.

The artist assured me that the liner and brows will both lighten a bit and will look thinner once the swelling goes down.

Overall, I'm pleased, but not 100% sure until I'm all healed! I also have a follow up appt. in 3 weeks to touch up any areas that didn't take, or didn't heal well.
Yes, they will scab, then the scabs fall off and it will be very pretty. You need to post a week out photo.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:

Oh I like how you look! It's great!!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #26

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
I've thought about PM as eyeliner and to fill in my brows. The only thing holding me back is my concern that the color will fade to an unattractive green or grayish.
Purrgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Yes, they will scab, then the scabs fall off and it will be very pretty. You need to post a week out photo.
Today is one week. I have just a tiny bit of flaking still happening, and one spot that's still slightly scabbed, but here's the updated photo. I'm really happy with the results!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyes one week after.jpg (23.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #28

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: Hi-290/268/Current 247/175
WOE: LC-ish, LoCal
Start Date: Restart 10/20/14
Wow, that looks really nice Dawn! How long will it last?
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #29

It's permanent, but will need touch-ups periodically, anywhere from 1 1/2 - 3 years in between, depending on how much time I spend in the sun, etc.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #30

Gallery: KarbieGrl
Quote:
This is the technique my sister in law does as well.
And I am pretty surprised by the people who experience pain. I had my eyeliner done and there was no pain. The sound creeped me out. The next time you slice celery with a knife, listen closely. That's what it sounded like to me.
I think I am going to visit my Sister in law and ask for a thicker eyeliner touch-up. Every single day I add to what I have. With blonde lashes, the tiny thin line just aint cutting it for me.
KarbieGrl is offline   Reply With Quote