Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
BB Cream

I got a sample of BB Cream (Boscia) from Sephora last week. I had heard of these BB Creams being all the rage in Asia and was intrigued. In a nutshell, they're like a souped up tinted moisturizer - they have spf, loads of antioxidants and provide some covereage. Apparently they can be used as a serum, as a primer for other foundations or as foundation itself. Clinique calls it a "skin perfector".

I really like my sample! It's very natural looking on the skin, but provides enough coverage that I feel ok going out in public (I generally never leave the house with a completely bare face). I also like the fact that it's so good for your skin and provides sun protection. The only downside was that while it is oil-free, I did notice some oilness later in the day (which I usually get, but I think it was a little more). It seems more like a summer product, but I think it could be good for winter if your skin gets a little dysfunctional with the temp change.

Sephora has a couple different brands that offer BB Creams - -Clinique, Boscia and Dr Jart+. The Sephora I went to didn't have Dr. Jart+, but I did try the Clinique and Boscia. The salesperson recommended Boscia over Clinique...I can't actually remember why, but I was happy with the Boscia sample.

Has anyone tried these? I saw that Bobbi Brown has a version, but it's only available in Asia...boo. Hopefully, it will come over here!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
aka fuelmanswife

Gallery: Beth1121
Stats: -20
WOE: VLC
Start Date: August 2010
I have not tried these but am interested in learning more about them. Thanks for the review!
Beth1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doeskin
WOE: General high fat & low carb
Start Date: 2/27/2012
I've heard all about them but haven't tried one yet. Thanks for the review
doeskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Thanks for the review!

I haven't tried BB yet but I am interested & curious about the ingredients.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Midnight Blue
WOE: Moderate carbs
Thread revival:

I am now noticing more and more buzz about BB creams. I tried one of the samples from Allure magazine (the kind that come on the little cards with an ad) and it was kind of interesting. It was the L'oreal youth code version. I didn't think it had much coverage but it didn't have a terrible texture or anything.

I have been reading a little bit about them and it seems as if the ones from Asia are rated far higher than the American versions.

What do you guys think? To BB or not to BB?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I've been interested in them, too, mainly because there's so much 'hype' about them, but I'm also always wary of merchandising.

I got a sample of Dr. Brandt's BB cream with a Sephora order, and I tried it. Normally, I use only a tinted moisturizer with SPF, and frankly I like that better than this (expensive) BB cream. The cream seemed rather drying, and I get more of a natural 'glow' with my tinted moisturizer (Aveeno).

So I don't plan to experiment with any other BB creams.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

It would be great if they could make formulations for specific skin types. I would like to try one for combination skin. My skin seems dry overall, but there are times when my t-zone gets a little oily. Maybe they already have ~ I'm not sure.

I keep thinking there must be something really great about them, because every major cosmetic company either has launched or is launching their own version.
Midnight Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Christal- Perhaps I'm too cynical, but that's exactly what they want you to think. Keep in mind that cosmetic companies are all rivals, so if someone markets a product, you're going to see it developed by other companies almost immediately. And any new product is a potential new revenue stream for a company.

I was glad I got a sample because the advertising had convinced me that I needed to 'try' BB creams--and that's their goal. Even if we're dissatisfied, all those purchases add up for them.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

I know you're right! I guess they'll be like everything else out there ~ good for some, not for others. I just like the "skin care" aspect everyone keeps talking about. I'm always trying to minimize the effects of time, so to speak.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
Senior LCF member

Christal- You should try it for yourself. I've read really good reports on the Garnier BB cream--and it's not very expensive.

[I have a very 'old' face, so I needed more moisture than the Dr. Brandt's cream provides. But everyone is different.]
Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm sure I will at some point. I just enjoy discussing new products with others and hearing different opinions/experiences. I'm still hoping some folks who've tried some already will share their reviews!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
I'm on the fence. I LOVE the concept of them. With their sheerness, they seem more suited to summer, and makeup just tends to slide off my face in the summer. I even started forgoing my usual moisturizer with spf and just relying on my foundation (a matte formula) with it's SPF AND a primer.

So, I don't know. I know how they look when first applied, but I need something with more staying power. And I don't need the added moisture that they tend to provide. I don't need anyting "dewy", my skin will become 'dewy" anyway.

I think it's better for people with dry skin...
TigerlilyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
I used the Garnier BB cream until I discovered it was too oily for summer use.
It basically is a tinted moisturizer.
For the price, it was a good moisturizer and provided sheer cover.

From everything I have read the BB creams from/in Asia are totally different than the ones here in the US.
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

I've heard the same thing ~ I am wondering what the main differences are. I will have to check that out. I definitely don't need something that would be greasy.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: winany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
From everything I have read the BB creams from/in Asia are totally different than the ones here in the US.
Hi, I have also become fascinated with BB cream recently and I also heard many people talk about the U.S. version and the Asian version. However, I have done some research and I learned that the product is actually German. It was developed by Christine Schrammek. She actually developed it for patients who had laser surgery in order to protect their skin. It was only after that that the blemish balm was hyped in Asia and the US. So it is worth trying the original blemish balm by Schrammek I think.
All best, winany
winany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

I didn't know that~ wonder where to get it? Interesting!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #17
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I just got 2 asian ones made by Skin79 yesterday.. They looked very interesting. Youtube has a lot of reviews on there and these were highly recommended.

I bought the Oriental Gold BB Cream and then the Hot Pink Super Plus Beblesh Balm.

When buying BB Creams make sure you pay attention to what skin type it is best suited for and such.. they are all made differently.. It can be confusing on what ones to try but if you search for reviews that helps a lot!!

Hot Pink Super Plus BB cream:

The Skin79 Hot Pink Super Plus BB Cream is one of the hottest selling BB Creams on the market! With its whitening and wrinkle-free formula along with its UV protection SPF 25, this product stands out from others and has been one of the most-loved BB Creams available. Its whitening ingredients which is made of Adenoisine and Arbutin, is effective in whitening and brightening the skin for an even and lively skin tone. With its SPF 25 function, it intercepts ultraviolet rays UV A and UV B to protect your skin while it is exposed to sun. Whats special about this BB Cream is that it contains the new concept Osmopur ingredient made of mined sunflower, rice bran and ivy extracts to protect the skin from various harmful conditions. Additionally, this BB Cream contains Phyto-Complex which is great for skin moisturizing and is soothing to your skin.

Directions: After thoroughly washing hands, pump a pea-sized amount onto the top of your hand. Using a foundation brush or your other hand, apply onto face. Start with dabbing onto cheeks, forehead, nose bridge and chin. Blend out with tool of choice.

Benefits:

UV Protection of SPF 25
Wrinkle-Free Formula
Whitening and Brightening Properties
Moisturizing
Smooth Formula
Healthy Ingredients

Oriental Gold BB Cream says this:

Skin79 Oriental Gold BB Cream is a triple effect BB cream that keeps skin more resilient and brilliant with natural ingredients. Improves skin condition and make is look glossy and sleek, also protects skin from UV rays. The oriental tea blending ingredients include White Tea, Green Tea and Black Tea to keep skin looking brighter and firmer. Two patent ingredients of The Oriental Tea Newplex and Natural Complex Extract keep skin healthy by protecting skin from harmful outer substances.

Benefits:

UV protections
Whitening
Winkle Improvement
Moisturizes
Firms

How to Apply:

Take an appropriate amount and apply a small dab to your cheeks, forehead, and chin. With the tips of your fingers spread bb cream evenly throughout your face. To avoid bb cream from caking, let sit for 5 minutes before building bb cream up for more coverage, and before apply any loose powders to set it with.

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Queen Bargain Shopper

I would love to try a "real" BB cream.

Cheri; did you purchase online?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #19
aka fuelmanswife

Gallery: Beth1121
Stats: -20
WOE: VLC
Start Date: August 2010
Sounds promising, Cheri! Keep us updated as to how well they do for you!
Beth1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I picked up the L'oreal Youth Code BB cream and it's not good. It made my skin look pasty and very dry. I don't have oily skin, maybe it's better for oily skin types.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
I would love to try a "real" BB cream.

Cheri; did you purchase online?
Hi Cindy!

Yes, I got it from a place called pretty and cute. They have several different ones and they are not very expensive at all.

I will be trying it tomorrow and will post an update on it.

I did buy a maybelline one awhile back and don't have an opinion on it.. I was in a hurry and put foundation over it.. I have recently learned that you don't have to do that. You can put a loose powder over it. A lot of BB creams look like they wouldn't match your skin tone but they are self adjusting.. After applying it move on to your eyes or do your hair while waiting for it to do its thing.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #22
Queen Bargain Shopper

Cheri - thanks so much for the info; anxious to hear if you like it.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I use the Garnier and really like it.
Nelle Belle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh! GO STEELERS!!!
Gallery: JerseyGyrl
Stats: 245/143/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 13,2004
I've tried the BB cream and wasn't all that impressed. Olay is coming out with a CC cream in October and I have to say, I'm looking forward to that. I've been an Olay girl for years!
JerseyGyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

I can't wait to hear Cheri's reviews either ~ I'm really interested in knowing what the differences are in the Asian versions.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: winany
@ Midnight Blue and Radmom413:
check out the website of the original German product, (I cannot post the link here) I assume the BB cream has changed a bit since its first invention in the 1960s. I hope it helps you.
winany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lalabella
WOE: very low carb
I tried the maybelline and i really like it. it is light and doesn't feel like anything, but gives me just enough coverage. I like that i don't feel like my hands are dirty after i apply it. It isn't moisturizing though. I've worn it 2 days now... not enough to know if my skin is "better" or anything but did feel smoother when I washed.

I am not a big makeup person so I like things to be one-step lol. I am usually only in a bit of eyeliner and mascara, i just like the basics.

I am curious to hear more reviews!
lalabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
Administrator

I am sorry I am just now posting about the BB cream I had bought but I wanted to try it a good while so I can know if I truely like it or not. I have been using the Hot Pink Super Plus BB cream and I do really like it.. I have used it as a base for my foundation and also by itself. Its light coverage which I like if I am using both.. When I first use it the color seems a little off but as it sits the color gets better and it evens out my skintone. I like it better than the maybelline BB cream I had gotten.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
I used th Garnier BB and I did not like it because it would settle down into my creases I have on each side of my mouth.
Pcola Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 230/226/140
WOE: Atkins tweaked my way :)
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting Mar 2013
I use L'Oreal BB cream, I use the green tinted one as I have rosacea and I love it, it covers beautifully and really does look natural.
Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote