Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: OrchidCactus
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 1997
Shellac nails anyone?

Ok, I bit the bullet and took off my acrylic nail overlay. They then did a french manicure with the new Shellac stuff. Has anyone else had this done?

My boss has had the shellac done with colors and it lasted forever for her (1 month) with no chips, cracks or problems. The only way you could tell was through her nail growth and the color being away from her cuticle. Her nails hadn't been drilled from having acrylics on and filled. Everything I've read seems to be very positive (except it's $$$) so I'm curious about anyone else's experience.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Is Shellac nails the same as gels. I get gel nail, in fact I just had mine redone today. They lasted about 5 weeks with 1 fill in.
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I do have shellac french manicure, but mine usually only last 2 to 3 weeks. I may have fast growing nails though. I like manicured nails regardless, but I can't have the acrylics at all! They really mess with my nail beds and I have even had an allergic reaction once.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now my pedi lasts at least a month or longer with the shellac. I love not having to get a pedi but once a month!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I've been doing some reading on the 'net and I guess you can polish over the top of the shellac as well. I guess I'm hoping for the 'magic bullet' of pretty nails with the lowest cost LOL

The shellac type is not a traditional gel nail, it's a gel/polish hybrid that cures under UV light.

What I'm hoping for is to grow out my nails that had acrylic (hence drilled) to the new, good nail and keep them protected. Then, once I'm on undamaged nails just keep them pretty and polished with that extra bit of protection. Fortunately my nails grow fast so it shouldn't take but a few months to be on 'good' nails again!
OrchidCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Yep I've done it 3 times now. I think I am the odd one out though. All 3 started peeling/chipping within 7-10 days.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Carby Cat

Gallery: Tazcat
I think they look great - it's not in my small town yet.
I heard it was inexpensive. The girl who had hers done spent $20 and it lasted 2-3 weeks. I thought compared to acrylics that was less.
Tazcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DeeLen
Stats: (286.6 before WLS)
WOE: WLS 4/25/06
What I don't like from the acrylic is the thinkness I get. It causes me to have trouble fastening jewelry or picking things up from the floor (like a dropped dime, penny, etc.). Do you get that with the shellac?
DeeLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I love my Acrylic nails! Lasts up to 3 weeks.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley2801 View Post
Yep I've done it 3 times now. I think I am the odd one out though. All 3 started peeling/chipping within 7-10 days.
Mine too! And the cost is not worth it...I have very thin natural nails...the cost of the shellac is about the same as a full set around here...!? Not worth it...I did love them when they were 1st done but if they are going to peel, it's not worth it. I will keep my acrylics.

Last edited by ANGELFIRE80; 06-27-2011 at 07:50 AM..
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

The shellac is very thin, so you don't have trouble picking things up. I was so used to the acrylics that it didn't bother me, but some things were more difficult.

Prior to acrylics, my natural nail was very strong. I got the acrylics originally so I didn't break my nails (so strong they would really break!) and so that polish would last longer than 2 days.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Quinn
Stats: 270/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/13/2011
Shellac is the real deal. I will never go back to regular manicures. It truly lasts twice as long on my hands and I finally had a pedicure w/ shellac and it's still perfect weeks later too.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #13

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Love my shellac manicure. A regular manicure always chips in 2 or 3 days. I've had this one for 17 days now with zero chips or peeling.
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In the summer, I color shellac! I have Hollywood on at the moment, last time I had Gotcha. I will go back to french shellac in Sept.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Burning Bacon
Stats: 157.8/145/125 at 5'2"
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: 4/1/12 back on plan w/exercise
Hi Quinn,
Wanted to comment on your picture, but then realized isn't that Tiffani Thiessen? I think she's great....I like her with the blonde hair best even though she now sports the darker hair...what do you think?
Burning Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
I did have a Shellac manicure done. To be honest, mine peeled within the week in some spots. Maybe b/c I have a toddler and wash my hands 100 times a day? Not sure. I wasn't really pleased with it. Edit: After reading the other comments about it, maybe the person who did mine didn't do a good job?? Now I'm really annoyed, ha ha!
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #17
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
How is shellac different than gel nails? And are either of them bad for nail health?

If I could find a way to make polish last w/o damaging my nails I might do it. I keep my nails natural because the finish on polish requires constant upkeep.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #18

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
I'm on week 4 of my shellac manicure. I need to get it redone because my nails have grown out about 1/4 of an inch, so there's no polish at the bottom of my nails.

The polish hasn't chipped anywhere, and my nails haven't broken off at all, which they usually do. I paid about $35 with a tip, and it's totally worth it to me.
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tricialy
Stats: 196/151/130
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: October, 2010
Axxium by OPI

Is Axxium by OPI the same thing? I had them done about 2 weeks ago -my nail tech didn't have a lot of color choices, so not thrilled there and there are tiny hariline cracks in them. I am going to try them again - one more time. I was going out of town and wanted something that would last more than a week and wouldn't look terrible half-way through my trip. The cracks aren't noticeable unless you really look at the nails - so they've worked for what I wanted them to.
Tricialy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

There are different brands. The 2 most common seem to be Shellac by Creative Nail Design and Gelish by Harmony.

I've had the CND Shellac done a couple times with very good results. My boss has had the Gelish a number of times and she's gone as long as 4 weeks with no chipping, peeling or breakage.

Sally's has the Gelish in house and on their website. CND is pro only like the OPI is. Haven't heard much good about the OPI.

I bought a 36w UV light for curing and have the starter kit of Gelish along with one color. I am into this for about $90, so if this does me for 2 months I'm in the clear (salon prices) or 3 months (beauty school prices). I think the application and curing times are what will determine how well it does.

Wish me luck!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Update: I did it today. Soaked off the old with cotton squares soaked in acetone on the nail wrapped with foil for about 15 minutes, scraped off the rest in a little acetone, prepped everything, shaped and filed. I followed the instructions provided (didn't watch the dvd), cured slightly longer than required like they do at the beauty school, and they turned out great! Looks about 99% as good as a salon to me, DH thinks it looks good too. He was surprised it didn't stink like nail polish does (his words). Now we'll just have to see if it wears as well.

Anyone looking to do this at home, it's not tough. The hardest part is off-handed accuracy for me!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doeskin
WOE: General high fat & low carb
Start Date: 2/27/2012
I had a Shellac manicure done a couple of months ago, but I was so disappointed that it only lasted me about 2 weeks or so. However, I should note that my nails grow super fast AND I'm really really hard on my hands. I think the average person would get much more wear out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidCactus View Post
I've been doing some reading on the 'net and I guess you can polish over the top of the shellac as well.
I had forgotten all about that! If I ever get Shellac again, I'll keep this in mind
doeskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: his_cinderella
Stats: 223.0/223.0/140
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: April 2013
Here's a pic of my shellac nails..they are about 3 weeks old at this point and I'm pretty rough on my hands...

his_cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow, that looks great, Stephanie!

Mine have been done a week now, and look just as good as when I first did them on the 14th. I can see just a little of normal grow-out, but no chipping, cracking or peeling. I really believe the first time I had the Gelish brand done the tech didn't do it right (cure long enough) since I had some chipping issues after a week. At the rate my nails grow, I'll have to do them again the first week of September for sure.

My color is Shake It Till You Samba, a nice hot pink color
Old 08-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #25
aka fuelmanswife

Gallery: Beth1121
Stats: -20
WOE: VLC
I may have to see if my local Sally's has the Gelish. I would love to find something that I can do myself. Thanks for letting us know about it!
Beth1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 AM   #26

Gallery: momacat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeLen View Post
What I don't like from the acrylic is the thinkness I get. It causes me to have trouble fastening jewelry or picking things up from the floor (like a dropped dime, penny, etc.). Do you get that with the shellac?
Although some of it depends on whose doing your nails the acrylic is the thickest of all the nail products. You might want to try gels- its much much thinner.
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bgraham
Stats: 222/155/140
WOE: Atkins
I own a Day Spa and we do natural nails only (no acrylics). We do quite a bit of shellac.

I absolutely LOVE it. I am very, very hard on my nails. I have them in water so much they peel constantly. This doesn't happen if I am wearing shellac. It is the only way my nails will grow. And they grow long and are all a uniform length.

Most of our shellac clients come in every 3 weeks (though CND advertises 'guaranteed to last 2 weeks').

It will not damage your nails like acrylics. When I take mine off my nails are in great shape. They do recommend you use solar oil daily. We give a small bottle of it to every shellac customer.
bgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #28
aka fuelmanswife

Gallery: Beth1121
Stats: -20
WOE: VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1121 View Post
I may have to see if my local Sally's has the Gelish. I would love to find something that I can do myself. Thanks for letting us know about it!
Of course, I went right out and bought this. It was very easy and looks great. I will report back on how well it holds up.
Beth1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
Is shelliac still fake nails? something that goes on top of your own nails?
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

It is something that you put on top of your own nails, like polish. It has to cure with a UV light, and will not 'air dry' like regular nail polish does.

I now have 2 weeks with my first home done application of the Gelish. It has held up extremely well. It doesn't seem to have worn off the edges much at all, and that's saying something!

I stopped in at the local beauty school to show them how it's held up. The instructor had mentioned she was interested in it since she could get it locally (they've been using the CND, but it must be ordered) and there are more colors available. It's also cheaper. She was very impressed with how well it has held up. They do a lot of the shellac there, and from what I understand it may surpass acrylics or gel nails in the near future.