Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #31
aka fuelmanswife

Gallery: Beth1121
Stats: -20
WOE: VLC
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidCactus View Post
They do a lot of the shellac there, and from what I understand it may surpass acrylics or gel nails in the near future.
I certainly believe that! I always want my nails to have a perfectly painted manicure but did not want to go back to acrylics. This works great for me! Thank you again for telling us about the Gelish!
Beth1121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 05:30 AM   #32
aka fuelmanswife

I have been wearing Gelish for over a week and have been extra hard on my nails....swimming, cleaning without wearing gloves, you name it... They still look just like I had them done! I am going today to get more colors!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: OrchidCactus
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 1997
Beth, that's great! I'm almost at 3 weeks with mine and except for the grow out from the cuticles you'd NEVER know it. Still shiny and pretty. This weekend I'll have to do them again as it's too visible for me to take much longer LOL
OrchidCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
I used to get acrylics (gel) and was happy with it but i find theres no comparison to shellac. It is far superior IMO. Gel and shellac are different.

I had the OPI Axium gel a few times and it took so much longer to soak off. It seemed damaging to my nails.

I've been getting the shellac for 6 months. I can go 3 weeks between visits and have no chips on my French manicure! I don't find it damaging at all. I love shellac and can't recommend it enough.
Purrgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
thanks for the info you have shared on this orchid--is the uv curer found at Sally's also? I saw you mentioned a dvd--I have no clue about this stuff so where would I find a dvd? thanks for any info you can share???
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

I would not get the UV light from Sallys, the one they have is a 'mini' light and does not have good reviews. It's also about $20. I got my light off Ebay, it's a 36 watt (4 9w bulbs were included) and I got it for $34 including shipping. You can find more of them there, they are on pretty frequently.

I got the starter kit for the Harmony Gelish from Sally's plus a color. They are the mini's, and are .3 oz. for the colors, the base and top coat. The DVD is included in the starter kit. I didn't watch mine since I'd already seen the process done and the instructions made good sense. I upped the cure times 25% to be on the safe side, better to go a little over than be under as it will wipe off if uncured when you do the final wipe off of the tacky residue after top coat cure.

To try it out before investing, I do suggest you find a beauty school that does it and get it done. It's much cheaper than going to a salon, and I think you learn the process better because they are students doing the work.

I like mine so much that I had to get another color (purple) for this time. Gotta re-do mine this weekend since they've grown out so much! I now have right at $100 in my rig.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
thanks Orchid-we have a beauty college about 30 miles away-we are very rural-but they are just doing regulal polish and nothing fancy with that even! so we do have a Sally's but I will look on ebay for a UV light-I will have to save awhile--money is tight right now! maybe it could be a santa present? anyway-thanks for the info--I surely appreciate it!! I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this myself --it gets old having to reappy so often--I cant afford to go to the salon!!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

I hear ya on money being tight. I saved my allowance for it and had a bit put back for me to use on ebay too. And of course I'm justifying it by how much I WILL save in the future......
Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snapsgirl
Stats: 151/142/125
WOE: lowcarb
Start Date: back at it again!
Just curious. If you have short, ugly bitten nails this will not add any length? But I guess will make them more strong to grow over time?
snapsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

No, this won't add any length, but I think it will help you to stop biting them because even short nails will look nice.

I changed my color out today to a purple shade....looks good and I noticed my nails are halfway grown out of the drilled part so just about 3 more months and I'll be able to keep them longer as they will be at 'full strength'.

The Gelish is a little harder to remove than the CND. I had to do more soaking and working with the birchwood stick, but everything did come off finally. I'm still really pleased!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snapsgirl
Stats: 151/142/125
WOE: lowcarb
Start Date: back at it again!
Thanks for the reply. I had never heard of these before. I think I might do this because I ususally don't start gnawing on them until they start to split a little. This hopefully would help. I have one of those old fashion tanning lamps from the 70's. I think that might work for the uv light. I hope
snapsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #42
aka fuelmanswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidCactus View Post
The Gelish is a little harder to remove than the CND. I had to do more soaking and working with the birchwood stick, but everything did come off finally. I'm still really pleased!
It did take a little extra time and care to get them off, but it was totally worth it for the fab manicure that comes with it!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

That and having color that stays on the nails longer than the 3 days regular polish does on mine! If it weren't for this stuff, I'd be stuck with the acrylics still.

A gal at work got hers done at a salon with the brand Gelac. I'll have to look at that to see how it compares. We will keep track on our own too!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #44

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
How's everyone doing with their at-home shellac manicures?
Purrgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Love love love shellac. My nails were ugly & short, started getting shellac and now they are long & lovely. I get clear so I get the strength and protection without the grow out of the color.
Very interested in the at-home kit. I pay $30 a pop so it would pay for itself quickly!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #46

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
A few years ago I worked at a beauty supply store (think Sally, but for professionals only) and Shellac came out when I worked there. I have very strong, long natural nails, but I would never wear nail polish because it would just chip off. I bought the Shellac system (the same one the pros use) and I loved it for a while. Now, I never use it, but it is a great system, and my nails would hold the polish without chipping for a couple of weeks. I may have to dig out my UV light and products again.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Dawn, Are there specific brands you recommend? I'm seriously considering buying a kit, worried most about getting a cruddy light.
My last shellac, I splurged and did light pink (instead of my usual clear). It yellowed
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #48

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I've only tried the actual Shellac brand from CND. I'm not sure about the others. I bought the cheap-o light and it worked well.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

I finally broke down & ordered some stuff from Amazon. I got the Gelish mini-starter kit. I figured I could get the small bottles and see what I really needed versus what I could replace with my own stuff (example: I work in a hospital so I can get my own alcohol instead of the "nail cleanser" that is the last step).
I bought a 36w lamp, has 4 bulbs & a removable tray (recommended for pedicures) and it came with a free pair of gloves that cover your hands to protect them from the UV light leaving only the nail exposed.
All this for about $65, which is less than 2 trips to the salon ($30 + $5 tip).
I did one round of it and so far I'm thrilled. I just did the base coat and then the top coat so my nails are "clear". I actually prefer this because then the grow out isn't as obvious. I did find directions in a blog online for using regular nail polish with the gelish kits - a few more steps but saves $$$ to not buy the gelish color at $9-11/bottle. I cured the last top coat for 6 minutes, even though the box says 3 minutes, just to be sure.
I figure I'll still go in every few months to have the gelish professionally removed and a proper manicure done, so they can do cuticles, shape my nails, etc. I just won't get polish, then come home & do my own gelish!
Happy happy happy girl!
ETA: I realized after I received my kit that Gelish is the brand both the salons I go to use. I recognized the bottles.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricialy View Post
Is Axxium by OPI the same thing? I had them done about 2 weeks ago -my nail tech didn't have a lot of color choices, so not thrilled there and there are tiny hariline cracks in them. I am going to try them again - one more time. I was going out of town and wanted something that would last more than a week and wouldn't look terrible half-way through my trip. The cracks aren't noticeable unless you really look at the nails - so they've worked for what I wanted them to.
Axxium is similar to Shellac, as is Gelish. They are all a little different but not by much. Wheee, one of my friends just got a job with Creative Nail (makes Shellac) in their 'product testing on people' department. She get's to test all this stuff on people at HQ. Cool!
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #51
KSH
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KSH
Stats: 205/166/150- 5'10"
WOE: Atkins/Protein Power
Start Date: Got serious 3/13/13 at 172lbs
I loooove it. I got it done for the first time last summer and was hooked (and I've never been the type to pain my nails or do anything but natural)... My nails grew awesomely thick and long the first time, but unfortunately once I had the shellac removed my nails got weaker and weaker with each shellac and when I finally stopped doing it my nails took months to recover. They we're thin, weak, and peeling for so long. I started taking biocell collagen about a month ago and my nails are 100% better now and thicker/stronger than they've ever been. I do miss the shellac though!!! I just wish it wouldn't harm my nails
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Week 2 of my shellac. So far so good.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I loooove it. I got it done for the first time last summer and was hooked (and I've never been the type to pain my nails or do anything but natural)... My nails grew awesomely thick and long the first time, but unfortunately once I had the shellac removed my nails got weaker and weaker with each shellac and when I finally stopped doing it my nails took months to recover. They we're thin, weak, and peeling for so long. I started taking biocell collagen about a month ago and my nails are 100% better now and thicker/stronger than they've ever been. I do miss the shellac though!!! I just wish it wouldn't harm my nails
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. As a pretty seasoned Shellac salon veteran I'd say they did not do it right. It should not harm your nail underneath. There's no buffing or filing or dremeling of the nail. If they're really digging at it to get it off then they're not soaking/wrapping it long enough.

I suppose it is possible your nails had a strange reaction to the process, but I've heard this from other people. I think there are some salons who dont know how to use it properly. If you love it maybe consider a different salon?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #54
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaG View Post
I did have a Shellac manicure done. To be honest, mine peeled within the week in some spots. Maybe b/c I have a toddler and wash my hands 100 times a day? Not sure. I wasn't really pleased with it. Edit: After reading the other comments about it, maybe the person who did mine didn't do a good job?? Now I'm really annoyed, ha ha!
I did shellac manicure for the first time abut 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had a French nail done and it was SO pretty! But, by day 5 I had a chip that I filed down some and put like 3 coats of the "Pink Armor Nail Gel" that is in the 'as seen on TV' area at walgreens. 2 days later another one chipped and 2 cracked. More "Pink Armor" and then one broke off at the tip, taking part of my nail with it. So after 10 days I went back to the salon and am giving it another shot.
The nail lady said that since my nails peel that shellac may not be a good fit and I might have to do acrylic. I have done acrylic in the past and won't go back there.

So far so good, I had it redone Saturday and it is a very pretty red and I don't have any cracks or chips. I have heard the French is weaker than the colors, but I don't know why. Maybe next time I will have them do a French tip with a pale pink color under it rather than just having the clear layers where the white isn't. I was not thrilled when they roughed up my nail beds before application.
I do put the Pink Armor stuff on the edges every couple of days, My hope is that it will keep my nails from peeling.

If this doesn't work I am thinking about doing Jamberry nails.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender Blend
Stats: 380/343/160
I've had both shellac and gel nail polish for the last 6 months. Its never lasted 2 weeks. It always starts chipping at the tip.

I think this is because my manicurist never "seals" the tip by painting across the tip of the nail.

I'm going to ask her to do that next time and see what happens.
Lavender Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: peridot
Stats: 155;135/125/115
WOE: carb cycling
Start Date: May 2009
I'm so jealous of those of you who can wear this for 3 weeks. I've tried different places and the longest it worked was a week and a half and each time I had it redone, it only lasted 3 days. then I tried my own and didn't have the right light. and it didn't stay any better. my nails are real flexible so I had fissure like cracks throughout my nails. so not happy and then to top it off the acetone just dried up my flexible nails.
peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #57
Ann
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann
Shellac nails

Hello ladies, I just wanted to let everyone in on a little secret that nail salons are not telling you about the Shellac nails. What you all don't know, is that they are taking advantage of of their clients by telling you that you have to have them removed and re-done every couple of weeks. This is not true!!! I used to have my nails done 6 years ago, before anyone here knew about it. Back then it was called "The Bomb", not Shellac and there was only clear and white colors to do French manicures. This product can be filled just like Acrylic and Gel nails, with the exception of having the drill (Thank god!) How is this done?...... Well when you have some growth come out, and your ready to have your nails done again, the technician just has to file it with a nail file until it is smoothed down, and then prep the nail as usual for the Shellac to be applied. You yourself can extend the time to have this done by filing your nail yourself, and add a couple of coats of clear nail polish until you are ready to pay for the re-fill. Again, if you have a good nail salon who is not out to over charge their clients for nothing they will be willing to do it for you!!! Unfortunaely for me, the techinician I used to see moved away and no one esle had heard of it so I went to Gel nails. It makes me very upset to read all of these posts concerning the extravagant prices for this product. Just thought you should all know the truth.
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Melrose
WOE: Atkins Again
Start Date: Restarting: 11.11.13
My shellac nails will be on my nails 4 weeks this coming Saturday. No chips and still as shiny as ever.

Yes, I have growth but I am also noticing some lift where the growth meets the color.

At a quick glance, the nails look wonderful but at a close glance not so good since the growth is there.

I will soak these off this week. I love it.
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiceena
Stats: 180/167/122
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18 2013
HI girls - I get a a gel type done...the polish I think is galled Gelish. Anyway, I love mine. It's $25 for the manicure w/ Gelish polish. It cures under UV light. They last at least 2 weeks. Also, some places make you get your nails buffed in order to do this and will tell you if they don't buff (like with the little electronic, foot-pedal buffer thingy) that the polish won't work - this is false. I found a place that does not buff my nails and just puts the polish on and it looks great.

Will never go back to regular manicures. I hate the look and feeling of acrylic on my nails and love manis but the polish always chipped so quick. No more!
Candiceena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
I'm glad I found this thread! I got my first shellac mani today. Nice! I had no idea this great alternative to acrylic/gel (aka DREMEL RUINATION) was out there! (LOL when it comes to fashion, etc. I live under a rock!)

Anyway, after reading this thread and doing a little googling around, I decided to go ahead and order the needed supplies to do this at home. I should get all my supplies next week sometime and will wait until my salon french mani is ready to be taken off.

WHEE!!!

So much more fun than studying for a test, which is what I should have been doing today!

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote