Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE: A chicken wing and a prayer.
HUGE Pores - Help

Is there anything a person can do about HUGE pores?

Is there a foundation that will hide them?
Years and years ago, Clinique had a Pore Minimizing Foundation. I don't think they make it any longer.

The older I get the worse they seem to be.

Help!!!!
cowboyshootergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
I have the same problem! Help us please!
Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosingKitty
Stats: 298/206.5/145
I have the same problem. I just ordered a bunch of samples from "Paulas Choice" by Paula Beqoun. Wish me luck, I'll let you know if I have a transformation. I've been reading her make-up books since I was a young teen.

Beautypedia.com is her website that reviews products from other manufacturors (and hers). Its pretty informative.

I need to find a good "spackle" to fill my nose pores. Any suggestions?
LosingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Have you tried a primer?

I need primer as part of my daily routine. I have enormous pores on my nose and cheeks and hate the way I look with makeup settled into them.

A good, cheap primer is Monistat Anti-Chafing gel. You can find it in the feminine protection area of your store. It has the same ingredients as higher end primers for a fraction of the cost. Make sure that it is this exact name as you don't want to put something anti-itch on your face! It's silicone based.

I've also had good results with Bare Minerals Oil Free Primer, and Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer. Both are a little more high-end.

One I didn't like at all was made by e.l.f. I couldn't get past the smell. The texture was fine, it just smelled awful and plasticy.

For the record, I have oily, acne prone, and aging skin. I have it all and need to fix it all!

Janet's Second Wind

Last edited by janetsbreeze; 03-09-2011 at 06:57 AM..
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
Have you tried a primer?

I need primer as part of my daily routine. I have enormous pores on my nose and cheeks and hate the way I look with makeup settled into them.

A good, cheap primer is Monistat Anti-Chafing gel. You can find it in the feminine protection area of your store. It has the same ingredients as higher end primers for a fraction of the cost. Make sure that it is this exact name as you don't want to put something anti-itch on your face! It's silicone based.

I've also had good results with Bare Minerals Oil Free Primer, and Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer. Both are a little more high-end.

One I didn't like at all was made by e.l.f. I couldn't get past the smell. The texture was fine, it just smelled awful and plasticy.

For the record, I have oily, acne prone, and aging skin. I have it all and need to fix it all!

Well not trying to trump you but I have all that plus Rosacea! I've tried primers but have not yet been impressed.

I'll have to try the Monistat! That sounds ....interesting. Oh and I cant take it when stuff on my face has a smell!! Sometimes it even makes me wheeze.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Sunny, I am grateful not to have Rosacea. I'm sorry you have it

I'm interested to see how the Monistat would work on your skin. It's just silicone - I don't think it would be irritating for you and it's unscented. And cheap, about $8 a tube.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
Sunny, I am grateful not to have Rosacea. I'm sorry you have it

I'm interested to see how the Monistat would work on your skin. It's just silicone - I don't think it would be irritating for you and it's unscented. And cheap, about $8 a tube.
I will certainly let you know! Tonight I'm using the Maybelline primer with the same everything else I have worn all week- giving it another chance before the tube is empty.

For the pores- I have been reading that BHA is much better than AHA so I'll be trying that next.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeandcream
Stats: 228/203/160
WOE: LC
Start Date: October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingKitty View Post
For the pores- I have been reading that BHA is much better than AHA so I'll be trying that next.
I have heard this too, and more gentle.
coffeeandcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vicster1
I have never had this issue, but I did want to let you guys know about a product on one of the websites I visit for skincare (DERMAdoctor). One of their products, Picture Porefect (pore minimizing solution), is listed on the best seller list. They also provide clinical results (with pics), as well as customer reviews (currently 88 of them). Again, I have never tried the product myself but it always seems to be on their top selling list so it might be worth a shot for those looking for a pore minimizing product.

Hope this helps!
Vicster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PinkStar26
Stats: 271/271/170
WOE: General Low-Carb
Start Date: 04/07/2011
I have huge pores too!
The best thing that worked for me (other than priming before foundation) was working in an exfoliator into my skin care routine. I'm using St.Ives (I know a lot of people think it's too harsh, but they do have a gentle one) and my pores look a lot better than they used to. If you have dry skin, I probably wouldn't do it more than once a week. I have really oily skin, so I can get away with it every 2-3 days. I try for every 3 days though, just to be on the safer side.
Hope this helps!
PinkStar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AMANDA320
Stats: 340/328/250
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: April 4 2011
Ugh I have the same problem and I hate it.
AMANDA320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeeBloom
Stats: 189/189/133
WOE: Dukan/Meat & Egg/Low Carb
Start Date: 03/04/2014
I Tried the Dermadoctor stuff and it wasn't all that great other than being expensive. I used it faithfully for two weeks with out any real results... still waiting for a miracle cream I guess...
DeeBloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Neutragena has a few pore refining products...
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
If you go to the Clinique counter they have a little tube of something that used to work great for me. I became too cheap so I haven't used it in years. I think it was called "Sheer Matteness".
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
By the way it wasn't a foundation- it went under your foundation. See if they still make it!
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
Start Date: March 2013
Guys, I know this thread is old, but if anyone is still looking for suggestions:

I also have big dumb pores. I use a number of things and they have made a huge difference in how my pores and skin looks.

1. Paula's Choice 'RESIST Weekly Resurfacing Treatment 10% AHA' : I use this daily, sometimes morning and night. It clears out those stubborn blackheads which contributes to the large pore issue. As a bonus, it also stops any blemish in it's tracks, like magic!

2. Too Faced 'Primed and Poreless' : really helps hide my big pores! I use this along with the next thing on my list:

3. Benefit 'The Porefessional' : Fills in my pores like nothing else. Makes a HUGE difference in the look of my skin. Often sold in small sample kits, so you can buy it and see if you love it as much as I do.

Also important to do: exfoliate and extract. I use the Clarisonic to exfoliate my skin a few times a week, and extract any blackheads daily. Doing this helps my skin so much. If you're lucky not to have blackheads you will still find the exfoliating helps improve the look of your pores.

I hope someone sees this and it helps you!
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Check out this makeup artists youtube vlog...he has some tips.

Well wishes.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CrystalBlueFire
Stats: Built for comfort, not speed.
Check out the chemical peel thread in the PG. A couple of light peels have done wonders for my pores which were just awful. At first it did bring some gunk up to the surface but after steaming and extracting my skin is looking really good.
CrystalBlueFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Megatron221B
Stats: 277.6/254.8/147 5'4.5"
WOE: Weight Watchers, Ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg View Post
I also have big dumb pores. I use a number of things and they have made a huge difference in how my pores and skin looks.
3. Benefit 'The Porefessional' : Fills in my pores like nothing else. Makes a HUGE difference in the look of my skin. Often sold in small sample kits, so you can buy it and see if you love it as much as I do.
PoreFessional by Benefit is amazing! It is definitely pricey, but well worth it. It makes a huge difference, and I use it under my foundation every day. I buy mine from Sephora.
Megatron221B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
The other day, I ordered the PoreFessional by Benefit because I saw on Utube how well it works. Got it for $10.95 - free shipping from ebay.

I've been doing the Lactic Acid peels every week for a month - though it makes my skin soft as silk, it hasn't helped with the pores. I just bought the Mandelic Peel so I will try that next.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote