Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
What's new?

What new thing have you tried recently? Share your reviews here!

Or what are you wanting to try? Maybe someone else has tried it & will share their thoughts.

I'm always looking for something new, something better. I love to hear what others have tried.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #2

My hands got very dry during the winter & I wanted a good exfoliator for them. I discovered Ice Elements 2 Minute Body Exfoliating Gel & decided to try that. It is a gel with no grains or abrasives. You apply a thin layer, let it sit for about 45 seconds (I doubt I wait this long) and then gently rub. The gel liquifies & you get little balls of dead skin. It's gentle & leaves my hands nice & soft. You can use this anywhere on your body but I haven't really been motivated to use it anywhere other than my hands.

I am also using Niven Morgan Blue Velveting Hand Creme. This was a gift & it really is nice, too. Not at all greasy & really velvety as the name suggests.

I could not resist trying the Ice Elements 2 Minute Exfoliating Gel for the face, too. It is a little different than the body one. I like how gentle it is & it makes a visible difference.

I use these a few times a week.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 02-20-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I tried a sample of a product called Pevonia Power Repair age -defying marine collagen cream. While i know that collagen can't penetrate the skin, I thought is was a very superior moisturizer and great for my very sensitive skin (long term Retin A use). My skin is more a combo with a mildly oily t-zone but I have to use good moisturizers that are not irritating. This one was really surprising in it moisturizing ability but seem to sink in well. I went on e-bay and ordered a sample pack of the brand to try the other items.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I read a thread somewhere (I thought here, but I can't find it) about Amlactyn foot cream for dry heels. My heels are OK, but the skin/cuticles around my finger nails is horrible- dry, cracked, just icky. I was in the pharmacy section of my grocery store and spotted a dusty bottle of Amalactyn hand cream and bought it. It was about $13 for the bottle, but it is fabulous! My cuticles never looked so good.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
pjt
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pjt
Stats: 158.6/133/130 Erk
WOE: Everything
Start Date: 12.26.2007
Sephora Primer - trying a sample now and so far am very pleased.
pjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I tried a sample of a product called Pevonia Power Repair age -defying marine collagen cream. While i know that collagen can't penetrate the skin, I thought is was a very superior moisturizer and great for my very sensitive skin (long term Retin A use). My skin is more a combo with a mildly oily t-zone but I have to use good moisturizers that are not irritating. This one was really surprising in it moisturizing ability but seem to sink in well. I went on e-bay and ordered a sample pack of the brand to try the other items.
Is this meant to be a treatment, a moisturizer or both? It sounds good.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #7

I am trying Mally Evercolor Poreless Face Protector.

It is used instead of a finishing powder. I'm not sure how to describe it. It is colorless, clear & solid, rather like a solid perfume might look. It comes in a compact with a fat sponge & is applied by patting over the face.

Get this - the main ingredient is the same as the active ingredient in the Monistat Chafing Cream many of us use as a make-up primer. Definitely a more solid product though.

I've only used it once - this morning - but my first impression is good.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
pjt
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pjt
Stats: 158.6/133/130 Erk
WOE: Everything
Start Date: 12.26.2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

It is used instead of a finishing powder. I'm not sure how to describe it. It is colorless, clear & solid, rather like a solid perfume might look. It comes in a compact with a fat sponge & is applied by patting over the face.

Get this - the main ingredient is the same as the active ingredient in the Monistat Chafing Cream many of us use as a make-up primer. Definitely a more solid product though.

Hmm - please let me know what you think. My skin T zone is extrememly oily and the Monistat did not work at all - my makeup started heading south around 10 am and was down to my navel by noon!
pjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Is this meant to be a treatment, a moisturizer or both? It sounds good.
Depends what you believe. It contains collagen (topical collagen can't penetrate the skin) and marine botanicals. I think if you are using nothing, this probably would make your skin look better but if you are like me and on everything but the kitchen sink, it is just a good moisturizer. Nothing can compete with Retin A for skin changes so when I compare the 2, it just seems like a good moisturizer. Did that make sense?:blush:
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I love Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream for lips. I have suffered from horrible dry lips every winter as long as I can remember (with the redness that comes with it, too). I JUST tried this (I was reluctant to fork out that much money for a lip balm). It is WORTH IT!!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt View Post
Hmm - please let me know what you think. My skin T zone is extrememly oily and the Monistat did not work at all - my makeup started heading south around 10 am and was down to my navel by noon!
I discovered this doesn't work at all if you forget to put it on! I completely forgot it yesterday!

I had a very long day today. I put the Mally Evercolor Poreless Face Protector on at about 8am. I can't recall if it was around 5pm or 8:30pm when I noticed my make-up. I really think it was about 8:30 because that is when I would have had the chance to touch it up. I noticed my forehead was not quite as matte as it had been in the morning but it wasn't shiny. I didn't even notice my nose so I'm guessing it was probably about the same. My T-zone tends to get that "freshly glazed donut" look when I use finishing powders.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michiko
Stats: Size 24-26/Size 16/Size 8-10
WOE: Primal Blueprint and Caloric Staggering
Start Date: October 31st 2011
Murad Oil-Control Mattifier, SPF 15, 1.7 oz - Sephora, $39.50

If you have oily skin and find that you have to blot frequently throughout the day, this may be the product for you. I have very oily skin and would end up with break-through shine within an hour of applying my makeup (And I've been using a powder foundation!). I tried a couple of other mattifiers that didn't work well for me, so I went on a search and found the Murad.

This stuff is a bit weird - it looks like Elmer's Glue when it comes out of the tube (and smells a little bit like it too ), but it does work. I can go for 4-5 hours before having to blot and even then the break-through shine is nothing like it used to be.

My holy grail will be a product that will actually keep me shine free for at least 8-10 hours. I don't know if they make anything like that, but I'm always on the lookout for a better mattifier.

March 31st 2012 - Down 37 pounds since October 31st 2011
Michiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #13

Another update onbn the Mally Evercolor Poreless Face Protector... I was out running around, then had to wait outside in the hot sun for someone. When I got home my T-zone was shiny & I needed to do a touch up to make it matte again.

If you use Monistat as a primer & like that matte look it gives your bare skin you might like this. It gives that same velvety matte finish over your make-up.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko View Post
Murad Oil-Control Mattifier, SPF 15, 1.7 oz - Sephora, $39.50

If you have oily skin and find that you have to blot frequently throughout the day, this may be the product for you. I have very oily skin and would end up with break-through shine within an hour of applying my makeup (And I've been using a powder foundation!). I tried a couple of other mattifiers that didn't work well for me, so I went on a search and found the Murad.

This stuff is a bit weird - it looks like Elmer's Glue when it comes out of the tube (and smells a little bit like it too ), but it does work. I can go for 4-5 hours before having to blot and even then the break-through shine is nothing like it used to be.

My holy grail will be a product that will actually keep me shine free for at least 8-10 hours. I don't know if they make anything like that, but I'm always on the lookout for a better mattifier.
This goes under your makeup?

the Mally is working well for me so far for a normal work day. Getting hot & sweaty make me shiny faster & need to blot a bit.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Yes, it goes under your makeup, DiamondDeb. I usually cleanse and moisturize. Then when I'm ready to put on my makeup, I apply the Murad and then foundation.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, it goes under your makeup, DiamondDeb. I usually cleanse and moisturize. Then when I'm ready to put on my makeup, I apply the Murad and then foundation.
You could even use something like that with what I'm using - the Mally stuff. fight the shine under & over your make-up!

This is what the Mally compact looks like. The sponge is really thick & the product is completely clear & colorless. It can be used by both men & women - she's working on a more manly compact.

And I am not sure where I came up with the product name. It is wrong - it is called Mally Poreless Face Defender with Sponge.

This stuff is nice. lol... I haven't said that yet have I? It lasted all evening. I went to the hospital and then to several stores. I did not have to touch up any color on my face all day. It really stayed put. I just touched up my T-zone once after being out in the sun.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

The Mally Poreless Face Defender may be my answer. Especially since it's used over makeup. Between the Murad and the Mally, I may end up shine free all day long! That would be fantastic!

What kind of foundation do you use, Deb? Liquid or powder?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #18

Quote:
The Mally Poreless Face Defender may be my answer. Especially since it's used over makeup. Between the Murad and the Mally, I may end up shine free all day long! That would be fantastic!

What kind of foundation do you use, Deb? Liquid or powder?
I've never found a foundation I really like. I am currently using Cover Girl & Olay Simply Ageless. It is a cream. It's better than other things I've used but not really good. I'm going to try Tarte Amazonian Clay Balancing Foundation next. It is a powder infused with clay. It is supposed to help perfect the skin and reduce the appearance of pores and fine lines & give a matte finish.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #19

Gallery: shlori
This winter I used Surgeon's Skin Secret, beeswax moisturizer. My hands didn't get dry at all. It's the best they've ever looked in the winter. I love it! I use it on my feet too. It's hard to rub in because it is ver thick, but soooo worth it!
shlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #20

I tried something new recently...and I like it!

IT Cosmetics Power Brow Universal Brow Pencil & Brow Power Lift Pencil

The brow pencil is supposed to be universal & is darker when you press a little more but I've got very dark brows & have to use a light hand to keep it from being too dark. I'm not sure how well it would work for very fair haired people but it gets good reviews from some. The opposite end has a brow brush & there are instructions for getting the right shape for your brow.

The brow lift pencil is an illuminating pencil with matte on one end & pearl on the other. I prefer the matte end. You draw a line over & under your brow & gently blend it in. I just tap lightly & that is all it takes. You can't see the line but it brightens & appears to wake me up a bit. I also apply it at the inner corner of my eyes. I keep forgetting to try it on the outer corners. There is a nice sharpener for this pencil. The brow pencil does not need one.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
Milani baked blushes. Good quality.
Amélie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #22

I did not realize until this evening just how good the Brow Power pencil is. I was getting ready to go out tonight & realized my brows looked as good as they did when I fixed them this morning @ 7am. And they still look good at midnight! With my old pencil they usually fade away.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I have been using Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Deep Wrinkle Anti-Wrinkle Serum. I am really pleased with this product; and my skin definitely looks nicer since using it. It has retin-A in it but I think my skin looks better because of the plumping effect this product has. It minimized my forehead and upper lip line wrinkles after a couple of weeks. I still have wrinkles but they are definitely diminished.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #24
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Love the Philosophy Tinted Moisturizer Hope in a Moisturizer!
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rouxroux
Stats: 195/195/140
WOE: Diabetic/renal
I've been using avalon organics vitamin c serum for the past week to help heal old acne scars. My face is GLOWY!! I'm going to mix it w/ olay regenerist serum and see if anything improves. The regenerist is packed w/ great stuff, but lacks vit c.
rouxroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #26
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I bought some vit C lotion from Whole Foods the other day, but haven't tried it yet. I hope to be glowy too.

Edited to add.... I have the same brand. I read "Avon Organics" when I opened the post.

Which one did you get? I got the lotion with sunscreen (I really went in looking for a sunscreen), but I was thinking about going back for the eye serum (there were two "serums").

Last edited by GME; 06-12-2011 at 06:59 AM..
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rouxroux
Stats: 195/195/140
WOE: Diabetic/renal
I got the vitality facial serum. It is more like a lotion than a serum, absorbs quickly, and smells divinely of oranges! I found that it feels warm/tingles (tells me it's working) and my face instantly looks brighter after I put it on. I'm going to try the facial cream next.

Also, use the serum during the day as it will enhance the effect of your sunscreen.
rouxroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
I know this is old news, but a friend applied the NARS ****** blush on me last week, and o.m.g.---I swear my face never looked so good from a blush.

I am in love, and waiting until next payday to go purchase some!
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #29

Quote:

Quote:
You could even use something like that with what I'm using - the Mally stuff. fight the shine under & over your make-up!

This is what the Mally compact looks like. The sponge is really thick & the product is completely clear & colorless. It can be used by both men & women - she's working on a more manly compact.

And I am not sure where I came up with the product name. It is wrong - it is called Mally Poreless Face Defender with Sponge.

This stuff is nice. lol... I haven't said that yet have I? It lasted all evening. I went to the hospital and then to several stores. I did not have to touch up any color on my face all day. It really stayed put. I just touched up my T-zone once after being out in the sun.
I rarely like skin care or makeup products enough to purchase a second time. I have to say Mally Poreless Face Defender with Sponge is the exception. I really like this product. I started using it 2/26/11 and still have some left but I'll be getting more soon. Sounds like it may last me about 4 months.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #30
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Quote:
I rarely like skin care or makeup products enough to purchase a second time. I have to say Mally Poreless Face Defender with Sponge is the exception. I really like this product. I started using it 2/26/11 and still have some left but I'll be getting more soon. Sounds like it may last me about 4 months.
Ok, Deb; spill - what does this REALLY do?
Do I need some?
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote