Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiminal
Do You Dry Brush and See Results?

I have read all the benefits of Dry Brushing and I am trying to remember to do it everyday but not sure I am seeing results If you do dry brush do you see results and how long did it take? Did it help with appearance of saggy skin in the arms?

Thanks
Kim
kiminal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: farmgirl
Stats: 24/16-18/12 6'2
WOE: hhcg
I saw some results, not dramatic. It took a few weeks. You have to continue with it though. I am trying skin needling right now. I took some pics to see if it actually helps. Brushing is good for your lymphatic system.
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: springalong
Stats: 205/180/130
WOE: LFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirl View Post
I saw some results, not dramatic. It took a few weeks. You have to continue with it though. I am trying skin needling right now. I took some pics to see if it actually helps. Brushing is good for your lymphatic system.
Im interested to know this too. Do you know if you can use a facecloth in circular motions while in the tub - is that the same thing as the dry brushing? Will it be as effective?

By the way what is skin needling?
springalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
Circular motions, TOWARD THE HEART. Very important.

I have been dry brushing for years and it definitely helped with the sinus issues I had for YEARS. I started brushing when I was about 23 or 24 and haven't had a recurrent sinus infection since.
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammykatt
Stats: 186/168.8/150
WOE: I dont even know anymore
What is Dry brushing? and Skin needling?
Sammykatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I agree Sammykat, they both sound painful lol. I have no clue what they are though.
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaSage
WOE: LC/No grains/gluten free/real food
Start Date: October 15, 2010
Dry brushing isn't at all painful. Just what it sounds like. You can get skin brushes for minimal money, and brushing is great for the lymphatic system. It's good for the skin as well. I dry brush before showering. It's well worth the small amount of time (to me, anyway). Oddly enough, my GP recommended it when I was much younger and I wrote it off until a few years later when I was taking a natural health course pertaining to bodywork (reflexology, etc.) and dry brushing was explained in detail.

Weird that a GP mentioned it, but in any case, it's worked out well for me.

Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

**Nursing Mama, rediscovering a traditional diet
MamaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
no one knows whether they help, because they don't know what would have happened without it. only a controlled large study would tell you that. you know?
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meggabeef
Stats: 425/327/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 21/2010
What is dry brushing? What is skin needling?
meggabeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
I am not sure yet...i understand that it is something that you need to give some time. I just started about two weeks ago. I had read about it a while back and never could find the right brush. It has to be a brush with natural bristles- not synthetic plastic like the spa brushes you see sold in most stores. I had tried it with the long handle typical bathing brush and the synthetic bristles do hurt on dry skin. I finally found a brush at my health food store (they didn't have one last year when i asked- so they must have had other requests and started carrying them)...I also saw one on the TTap website where you can get the brush alone or with a dvd explaining how best to use it....not worth $30 though...i believe i paid $7 bucks for my natural bristle brush, and i googled it and got all kinds of info and instructions including diagrams of the direction to brush each part of the body. Yes, the idea is to brush toward the heart. Your skin is an organ, and the stimulation assists in the removal of dead cells, etc. that block the skins ability to expel toxins...that is my "from memory" explanation...definitely google it.

I am doing it because i have fluid retention problems and edema due to fatness and CVD, and hope that it will stimulate my lymphatic system in concert with the weight loss to the degree that my swollen ankles and feet will be a thing of the past. LCing and removing all those inflamatory food has already helped immensley. My feet were swishing around in my boots today because they are really too big now...but i can still get swelling if i sit still too long. Dry brushing is also part of my program (including exercise and coconut oil) to stimulate the shrinking of my skin as I lose the weight. I don't even want to dream that it will make it all tighten back up magically, but i want to do everything i can to minimize the sagging skin that comes with big weight losses...
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:49 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meggabeef
Stats: 425/327/135
Start Date: June 21/2010
Does cocoanut oil help shrink the skin as you are losing? If so, is that oil consumed or rubbed on the skin? I am really worried about loose skin. I have close to 300 pounds to lose, and am interested in anything that will help me out.
meggabeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
Start Date: July 17, 2014
I'll repeat the question...what is dry brushing? Do you use a hair brush? (stupid question) Do you brush your whole body? That would be time intensive I would think. Guess I'll Google it
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Here you go: Dry brushing

I've been dry brushing for years. Whether it has any effect on saggy skin...don't know, but it's certainly good for the circulation (which is good for everything else).

I'm not sure I buy everything they claim dry brushing will do, but I've seen enough benefits that it's worth the time.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 220/140/120
I tried it for a few months. Trying stop my family from using the brushes for showers and stiffening them up was a losing battle, so I eventually stopped buying brushes and let it go. I noticed, after doing it for a while, that my skin started having a nice, rosy glow, to it, especially the heels-- they had the *really* noticeable change. I think it improved my circulation to hands/feet.
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: walkthebeach
Stats: 159.5/153.0/135
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Oct. 2002 (low carbing) hHCG 4/11/11 R1P2
Just a little tip: you can get a nice long handled "dry brush" at one of the dollar stores for about 3$. Can't remember which one; might have been Dollar Tree. No need to pay scads of money at the health food store.
walkthebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: farmgirl
Stats: 24/16-18/12 6'2
WOE: hhcg
MSM lotion is supposed to help. I'm going to get some today. It won't hurt.
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
Skin needling is also known as dermarolling -- you roll your skin with a microneedle roller making a lot of tiny holes to stimulate collagen -- it works wonders for a lot of people -- I am a total devotee!

I am just starting the MSM myself.

Dry brushing is a technique where one brushes the skin with a natural bristle brush -- I have never stuck with it long enough to see results.
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mia.K
Stats: 5'5'' / 126lbs
WOE: Low-Carb Eclectic
Start Date: 13 September 2011
I'm a week in and I have noticed that my skin is much softer and slightly more smooth.

I have also noticed that the tenderness in my thighs has disappeared which I'm putting down to increased circulation etc.

I think it's completely worth the time to do considering it takes only about 5 mins a day!
Mia.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia.K View Post
I'm a week in and I have noticed that my skin is much softer and slightly more smooth.

I have also noticed that the tenderness in my thighs has disappeared which I'm putting down to increased circulation etc.

I think it's completely worth the time to do considering it takes only about 5 mins a day!
Wow one week. Now Im going to get back into it, after I get home from work and shower out comes the brush.

Skin needling sounds kind of harsh to the body! Very intersting.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springalong View Post
Wow one week. Now Im going to get back into it, after I get home from work and shower out comes the brush.

Skin needling sounds kind of harsh to the body! Very intersting.
I actually look forward to it now! Every little helps right??

Old 07-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
Start Date: June 2004
I have been skin brushing for several years,and my skin is super smooth now. No bumps,lumps and the cellulite on my thighs has really decreased. Dh says there are babies out there with scrapier skin that mine

I brush every morning before my bath or shower. I use a natural bristle brush that I repace a couple times a year. Starting at the bottom of my feet,long sweeps with the brush,going over each spot a few times,working my way toward the heart. For my tummy,the ND said to use circular motion
shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoo View Post
I brush every morning before my bath or shower. I use a natural bristle brush that I repace a couple times a year. Starting at the bottom of my feet,long sweeps with the brush,going over each spot a few times,working my way toward the heart. For my tummy,the ND said to use circular motion
Sounds like my exact routine! It's invigorating don't you think?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I actually look forward to it now! Every little helps right??

Oh of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoo View Post
I have been skin brushing for several years,and my skin is super smooth now. No bumps,lumps and the cellulite on my thighs has really decreased. Dh says there are babies out there with scrapier skin that mine

I did it today before jumping in the shower. I did circular motions from the feet upwards. So you are saying all we need to do is upward motions but circular in the tummy area.

Quote:
Sounds like my exact routine! It's invigorating don't you think?
[[/I]

Thats what I will tell myself when feel like being lazy!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
The derma roller really helped? I have one but i havent noticed anything... what were you using it for? firming? Do you do it everyday to see results? and where do you use it...
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellenalesa
Stats: 190?/177/160ish
WOE: Starting HHCG Rogue 7/12/11
Start Date: July 12, 2011
Dermarolling question

What exactly are the benefits of dermarolling the body? Does it help shrink the skin? I think I read that it is supposed to help produce collagen.

I wanted to try it on my arms and thighs, and maybe my belly.

1.5 mm needles for body, right?

Would love to hear more about your experiences or any recommendations...
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
that might be hard to do your arms, it is kinda painful... i use it on my belly where the saggy stretch mark skin is but i havent noticed it getting ANY better at all. i have one for my face too, but i cant tell. i have had them for a while and i dont do it consistently.
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote