Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
~ ♥ LIPSTICK ♥ ~

Do you have some current favorites? What brand, what color and why?

Shopping for lipstick is something I always dread. No matter what it looks like in the store you have no idea how it will look when you actually try it out.

I had amazingly good luck recently & ended up with not one but two new colors that both look good!

Bare Escentuals Plum Bulee
A golden berry shade

This is my new go-to everyday lipstick. The first ingredient listed is Castor Oil, a sure bet I'll love it. I can generally tell if a lipstick contains Castor Oil by the way it feels on my lips. lol..weird.

BE Buxom Big & Healthy Full-Color Lip Polish Vanessa
A burgundy wine shade

I'm used to glosses with almost no color coming in this type of container. This was a pleasant surprise. I don't need or want larger lips but thank goodness this really don't do that. It does cause a pleasant tingle to my lips though. The color is intense so I need to use it very sparingly if I want to wear it for everyday. very nice & great for occasions when I want a bit more color.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 01-17-2011 at 05:15 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NewYorkGiants32
This is a good thread!

I have spent the past 15 years trying to find the perfect shade of lipstick for me, I FINALLY found it Maybelline Superstay 770.....and it stays put all day long. I LOVE this shade, and of course, it is being discontinued...so I have been stocking up whenever I see it, usually it is only at Walmart, I bought the last three. I am going to go try to find a pic.

My Blog...which will only confirm how much therapy I actually need.

http://vodkacalling.wordpress.com/

Last edited by NewYorkGiants32; 01-17-2011 at 05:57 PM..
NewYorkGiants32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I've been following the Harper's Bazaar blog 30 days of bright lip color, so I got out the brightest shades I have tucked away. I would hate to buy new ones, because I really doubt I will wear them all that much, but the reds and dark bright pinks are refreshing after a long time of a slightly more neutral lip.

My go to color is Revlon Colorstay Sheer in Pomegranate.

Last edited by ravenrose; 01-17-2011 at 07:33 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TulsaBelle
Stats: 363/343/1st goal 338
WOE: No sugar, flour, starchy veggies
Start Date: 12/30/10
I never go anywhere without Clinique Red-Y-To Wear

Top Ten Red Lipsticks Clinique

love it. best color ever.

If history means anything, Clinique will discontinue this color as they have done with all of my previous favorites. I buy it in trios and will probably start stockpiling them in the next year or so. I think this is my lipstick-for-life
TulsaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: whippetlady
Stats: 160 ( or more?) Goal is 140 5'5 small frame
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restarted May 2014
I am a fan of Estee Lauder Pure Color lipsticks! I tend to like the mauvey/ pink tones, not the rusty or brown tones. These are so moist and creamy , they can double as lip balm in the winter for me.
whippetlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniIndiana
Stats: 240/213/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippetlady View Post
I am a fan of Estee Lauder Pure Color lipsticks! I tend to like the mauvey/ pink tones, not the rusty or brown tones. These are so moist and creamy , they can double as lip balm in the winter for me.
I agree! I their pinky/mauve tones. For us fair skined gals with blonde hair, it looks amazing!
JenniIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGiants32 View Post
This is a good thread!

I have spent the past 15 years trying to find the perfect shade of lipstick for me, I FINALLY found it Maybelline Superstay 770.....and it stays put all day long. I LOVE this shade, and of course, it is being discontinued...so I have been stocking up whenever I see it, usually it is only at Walmart, I bought the last three. I am going to go try to find a pic.

I'm pretty sure it is law that any time you find the perfect lipstick it will be discontinued. I've had that happen to me before.

I have only used my Buxum lipstick a couple times but I think it actually stayed on & did not come off on a glass when I drank. I could be mistaken though. I'm going to pay closer attention today. I really like it. It has shine but not as much as a gloss. I do have to take extra time applying it or I get more color than I want. A little bit goes a long way.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michiko
Stats: Size 24-26/Size 16/Size 8-10
WOE: Primal Blueprint and Caloric Staggering
Start Date: October 31st 2011
Oooh... Lipstick! One of my weaknesses.

DiamondDeb - I got a sample of Buxom from Sephora. I think the color was Candi. I really liked it, but noticed little bumps coming up right on the inside of my lips after about half an hour. I had to wipe it off.

My basics are Shiseido Lip Gloss in Berry Sheer when I want something light, or Cover Girl Outlast All Day Lipcolor - I don't know the name of the color but it's bright red. The only problem with this stuff is IF you make a mistake, then you have to get it off FAST or you're stuck with it. Then you end up trying and trying to remove it, which in turn removes the foundation around your mouth and you end up looking like a clown anyways.

March 31st 2012 - Down 37 pounds since October 31st 2011
Michiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
I usually wear lip gloss, but there a couple of lipsticks that I like for a bit of color.

Bare Escentuals - Rose Crepe
Laura Mercier - Bare Lips
TigerlilyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I'm pretty sure it is law that any time you find the perfect lipstick it will be discontinued. I've had that happen to me before.
I was going to say, Maybelline has a new 24 hour lipstick out that seems to be replacing the old 12 hour one. You might want to check it out and stock up if you prefer the old one, NewYorkGiants32.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I was going to say, Maybelline has a new 24 hour lipstick out that seems to be replacing the old 12 hour one. You might want to check it out and stock up if you prefer the old one, NewYorkGiants32.
I think you're right! I have two tubes of my original color, went to the store today and saw the 24 hour lipstick....of course I had to buy one just to test it out, YUCK!!!!!! It is very drying on the lips.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #12

I still have some of the Buxom I mentioned above. It is still a bit intense for every day.

I have wasted too much money on lipsticks that I tried once & did not like enough to wear in recent months.

BUT I have a rave review!

How can I miss so horribly when standing in the store holding the lipstick in my face yet hit home run with bases loaded ordering online???

I did not think I'd ever find another lipstick to love. But I did.

After reading many rave reviews I ordered Skinn Cosmetics One Perfect Shade, Anywhere, Anytime. Two shades - AM & PM Twin Set Collagen Boost Lipstick & Gloss, one end is a regular lipstick, the other the same shade in a gloss.

BENEFITS:
  • One Perfect Shade AM: Lipstick is a light mave/pink with subtle shimmer. Gloss is also light mauve/pink, no shimmer.
  • One Perfect Shade PM: Lipstick is a dark fuchsia/berry. Gloss is also dark fuchsia/berry with shimmer.
  • Not sure what color you use? Make these twinset your go to shades for any occasion. The AM shade is a pleasant flattering color that looks polished and pretty perfect for running errands or running a meeting.
  • The PM Shade adds just enough of a punch to make you feel ready for anything the night throws your way, date? Girls night out? No matter what, you have the right shade anytime, anywhere.
  • Plus the Added bonus of being Twinsets! The Lip color is formulated with shea butter and multi-tonal long wearing pigment to condition and smooth lip lines while giving beautiful long wearing coverage.
  • While the gloss delivers a super shiny, super long wearing, ultra modern, high fashion wet look gloss that will not run or bleed all day. So even mature lips can enjoy a modern glass-like shine.
  • A dual ended lipstick and complementing lip gloss in one.
  • Lipstick is ultra creamy and the gloss provide shine without feeling sticky or tacky.
  • Wear them separately or together for a multi-dimensional look.
  • Formulated to resist feathering and bleeding.
  • The Lip color is formulated with shea butter and multi-tonal long wearing pigment to condition and smooth lip lines while giving beautiful long wearing coverage for most skin tones.
  • A super shiny, super long wearing, ultra modern, high fashion wet look gloss that will not run or bleed all day. So even mature lips can enjoy a modern glass-like shine.
  • High tech formula that will not bleed or run into fine lines.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #13

OMGosh, I forgot to mention that the lipstick cases have usable mirrors on one side!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Deb - that sounds wonderful!
Are they only available on-line?

The first 2 you mentioned are available at Sephora ~ and I'm going there Thursday.
Do you still like them?
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Deb - that sounds wonderful!
Are they only available on-line?

The first 2 you mentioned are available at Sephora ~ and I'm going there Thursday.
Do you still like them?
I think it is only online. These shades will go with anything & look so nice.

I do still like the other two. The lipstick I used up. I still have the Buxom. It is bright so I don't wear it that often. Takes longer to apply. I'd definitely buy again in another shade.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #16
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Deb - I have used both the BE lipsticks and am a regular user of Buxom.....I have multiple shades - neutrals and colors and it is by far my favorite gloss type product. I have not tried that color above and it looks like a "me" color - I am going to have to check it out.

I am a lipstick junkie - you name it, I probably have it.......some recent purchases and/or faves:

I have the Maybelline 14 hour and and 24 hour products......I like both - the 24 product is a little drying without the gloss on top, but not as drying as some other products I have purchased. It is one that I will use frequently, but you do have to pop a gloss on top of it.

L'Oreal Infallible lip gloss is a long lasting gloss and I really like it - and not as expensive as Buxom.

One of my recent faves is Revlon Lip Butters......they have good colors, very moisturizing, feel good on the lips and last fairly long.

Another fave is Maybelline Baby Lips.....they are more of a lipgloss/balm, but I love it as a quick touch up for moisturizing.

A brand that is a go to - drugstore/big box store - and reasonable.....is L'Oreal Color Riche - my fave winter color is Spiced Cider.....I have multiple tubes - one almost everywhere. Haven't found that one magic all around spring summer color yet......

A good spring color if you like Coral's is Rimmel's Kasbah - one that I have multiple tubes of as well.

I will give props to the ELF products......if you can find them - Target has been carrying a good selection......their $1.00 glosses are amazing and some good color, and I just bought one of their Studio Matte Lipsticks in Praline and have been using it EVERYDAY. Great color, long lasting and very moisturizing.

I am very particular about lipsticks/glosses..........as I am about coffee and probably have most brands and a lot of colors. I even have mine divided out in zip locs - with spring/summer and fall/winter colors.

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
Princess Proofreader

Cindy - of course you do!

Deb - I'll try those out on Thursday!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
Deb - I have used both the BE lipsticks and am a regular user of Buxom.....I have multiple shades - neutrals and colors and it is by far my favorite gloss type product. I have not tried that color above and it looks like a "me" color - I am going to have to check it out.

I am a lipstick junkie - you name it, I probably have it.......some recent purchases and/or faves:

I have the Maybelline 14 hour and and 24 hour products......I like both - the 24 product is a little drying without the gloss on top, but not as drying as some other products I have purchased. It is one that I will use frequently, but you do have to pop a gloss on top of it.

L'Oreal Infallible lip gloss is a long lasting gloss and I really like it - and not as expensive as Buxom.

One of my recent faves is Revlon Lip Butters......they have good colors, very moisturizing, feel good on the lips and last fairly long.

Another fave is Maybelline Baby Lips.....they are more of a lipgloss/balm, but I love it as a quick touch up for moisturizing.

A brand that is a go to - drugstore/big box store - and reasonable.....is L'Oreal Color Riche - my fave winter color is Spiced Cider.....I have multiple tubes - one almost everywhere. Haven't found that one magic all around spring summer color yet......

A good spring color if you like Coral's is Rimmel's Kasbah - one that I have multiple tubes of as well.

I will give props to the ELF products......if you can find them - Target has been carrying a good selection......their $1.00 glosses are amazing and some good color, and I just bought one of their Studio Matte Lipsticks in Praline and have been using it EVERYDAY. Great color, long lasting and very moisturizing.

I am very particular about lipsticks/glosses..........as I am about coffee and probably have most brands and a lot of colors. I even have mine divided out in zip locs - with spring/summer and fall/winter colors.
I love that idea!!!! I am the same way as you, love lipstick and gloss. Rimmel is another one that is cheap but pretty good, and believe it or not the color looks the same in the tube as it does on you.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #19
Queen Bargain Shopper

Jennifer; I think Rimmel is one of my favorite brands for just that reason.

Another favorite Rimmel color is DARE.

I also love any kind of lip balm - my DD22 is the same way! Our all time fave is Burt's Bee's - just the regular, normal balm. Another fave is the EOS in the little balls!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
This is such a fun thread!

I got a full color Buxom on sale at BE and it really bleeds on me. The regular Buxoms are great, and other full colors didn't bleed on me. It must have been just this color...Temp...is all I can read.
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaline View Post
This is such a fun thread!

I got a full color Buxom on sale at BE and it really bleeds on me. The regular Buxoms are great, and other full colors didn't bleed on me. It must have been just this color...Temp...is all I can read.
Are they called full color? I am not sure which mine is. I think just regular buxom but it has a lot of color.

I really like the Skinn lipsticks. The light shade has just a bit more color than my lips. The darker one has more color but not too much. I keep forgetting to try the glosses alone. No glitter or sparkles in these but the shine is nice.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #22

Cindy, I am a lipstick junkie but only because i have a bunch of bad ones sitting around! lol...

I get 2-3 shades I like (although finding 1 can be a challenge!) & use them until they are gone. I love balms, too, but they don't have enough color. i love Burt's Bees balms.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 03-28-2012 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #23
Princess Proofreader

I LOVE EOS in the little balls!!

I'm going to Sephora this afternoon so any last ideas?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
I LOVE EOS in the little balls!!

I'm going to Sephora this afternoon so any last ideas?
Too late now...what did you get?

I think my mom gets a discount at Sephora. I need to take her shopping there one of these days!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
Princess Proofreader

I bought an eyeliner: Sephora retractable waterproof. It's really smooth and easy to use. I LOVE the new mascara too! It's Tarina Tarantino.*Then the recommended Buxom for lips in Vanessa.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
Queen Bargain Shopper

DD bought the Revlon Lip Butter in Tutti Fruitti today and loves it!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #27

Quote:
I bought an eyeliner: Sephora retractable waterproof. It's really smooth and easy to use. I LOVE the new mascara too! It's Tarina Tarantino.*Then the recommended Buxom for lips in Vanessa.
The eyeliner sounds nice. What color is it?

I among familiar with the mascara. I'll have to check it out. One of these days I am going to run out of my BE Flawless Definition & I will want to try something new.

Vanessa is nice.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmom413 View Post
DD bought the Revlon Lip Butter in Tutti Fruitti today and loves it!
I haven't those yet. Sounds like it would feel good. Is it flavored?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #29
Queen Bargain Shopper

Nope; not flavored Deb. These butters are AMAZING!

Did you every try the Tarte Lights Camera Lashes?
My favorite of all! BUT - I have a L'Oreal that I found recently that I really, really like.
I will find out what the name of it is and let you know.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #30

Yes, I tried it in the first kit. I don't care for LCL mascara.

I love BE Flwless Definiti9on but I got in in kits. I would not pay the price for it alone. I will probably look for something that has a similar wand. The end is plastic or something instead of the tiny wires or whatever most mascaras have.