Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wen774
Dry skin brushing?

I saw someone else mention this in the loose skin thread, but I was curious if anyone else does dry skin brushing. Do you really think it has made a dfference. What benefits have you noticed?

I just picked up a brush the other day and look foward to trying it out. Im also confused....do you do clockwise or counter-clockwise circles on the abdomen(in my research I read both, split about 50/50)?
wen774 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Natural Healthcare Chiropractor

Gallery: KajunDC
Stats: Lost 115lbs 2004. Maintaining ever since.
WOE: Lower Carb Mediterranean-Style Organic Diet
Start Date: Low Carb-Mar04, BFFM-Jul05, P90-X-Dec24,08
Dry skin brushing stimulates the lymphatic system to remove toxins from the fat cells, which in turn, helps tighten fat cells.

The proper way to dry skin brush is to brush vigorously in the direction of your heart (forget the swirls.) You don't want to rub raw but you do need good contact. Two or three brushes per area the bristles cover is sufficient.

It'll also help remove dead layers of top skin so will make your skin smoother and more youthful looking. I have the best results brushing immediately before a hot shower.

Good luck, it works very well.

OBSESSED is simply a word the lazy use to describe DEDICATION.

Follow me on FACEBOOK!

I Will Persist Until I SUCCEED! - Words of Motivation
P90X/INSANITY PROGRESS PICS - 01/28/2011- My FITNESS Journey
Weight Loss Pics from 2004 - My WEIGHT LOSS Journey
KajunDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LStoner
Stats: 252/199/135-150 first big goal is 170.
WOE: My own
Start Date: 12/15/05
Interesting. Where do you get such a brush for this?
LStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AmyJuli
Stats: 177 high, 122 low, lots in between
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/9/03
You just need a natural bristle brush from the bath section of almost any drug store. I got mine at the grocery store actually.
AmyJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: beachlvr58
WOE: Low Carbing
Start Date: 1/23/06
get the heck out? i never heard of this..I'm getting one and doing this..Lisa
beachlvr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: angela233
Stats: 142 5' tall
WOE: atkins
I did it, my skin is VERY VERY dry, did not notice a difference in my lower legs, but my upper legs felt like I had applied lotion - they were so much softer. And I have a small always itchy spot on my abdomen (I've had 2 c-sections so just assumed it was some nerve damage) even with lotions, it would stay itchy. That spot completely went away. So it did not give me the results I expected but I did think it was good. I've been lazy about it lately but need to start again.

angela
angela233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nisha_mommy2one
Stats: 187/183/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 8, 2013 (this time around)::: April 8, 2005
I bought the brush right after hearing from this board and could never remember to do it every day.......About 2 weeks ago I made this rule right after my excercise I will dry brush my tummy (tons of stretch marks) for about 5 mins.......Well its been only 2 weeks and I can see a BIG difference.....The marks are really getting lighter and the skin isnt bumpy like before...I never thought it would work but its really giving me hope I didnt do my whole body just because Im too lazy but so glad to try tleast around my belly as thats where I have the most problem.
Jan 11::: 184
Jan 12::: 183.6
Jan 13::: 183.2
Jan 18::: 182.4
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...W0n/weight.png

Last edited by nisha_mommy2one; 03-21-2006 at 01:42 PM..
nisha_mommy2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happygal
Stats: 150/145/115
WOE: Low Carb
So this is going to sound kind of gross but I have a very loose tummy due to being stretched out after a big 10.1 pound baby, do you just hold the skin tight and brush it towards your heart? I hate my stretch marks!!
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygal
So this is going to sound kind of gross but I have a very loose tummy due to being stretched out after a big 10.1 pound baby, do you just hold the skin tight and brush it towards your heart? I hate my stretch marks!!
You don't even have to hold the skin... just brush swiftly and vigorously towards the heart.

Quick and simple - do daily for best results.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happygal
Stats: 150/145/115
Thanks, I may give this a try after hearing nisha_mommy got rid of some of her stretch marks, man those things are ugly!!
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phibi
Stats: 5'6" - 142/130/134
I do it every morning

[color=blue]Every morning before I shower. I start at my feet and brush upwards toward my heart, when I get to my heart, I work down my arms, chest and back down toward my heart. Then I jump in the shower and relax.

The skin on my thighs looks SO much better but I'm not certain if it's the WOE or dry brushing. [/color]
phibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: CurvyAFGirl
Stats: 167/164/130, 5'2
WOE: One day at a time, but mostly induction foods
Start Date: Every day I'm shufflin'!
I do this, and my skin texture has improved 100%! I fell at work, and cut the skin open on the side of my rib cage. It was a nasty scar, that was about 7 inches long that has almost faded completely after dry brushing! It also makes your skin super soft!
CurvyAFGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Okira
Stats: 223/181/150
Start Date: August, 2005
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT brush hard. VERY little pressure is all you need! Trust me...I've been doing this daily for over 2 years! Yes, it works wonders for cellulite, tightening skin, and reducing stretch marks. Make sure you're using a natural and not synthetic brush.
Peace,
Okira
Okira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
Start Date: June 2004
I bought a great brush at The Body Shop about a year ago and I've been using it faithfully every morning before I shower. I noticed an improvement in the elasticity of the skin on my tummy about 2 months in. I brush toward my heart(although not sure why )and the process takes less than 5 minutes. The skin on my arms not longer has those little red bumps and my elbows are smooth too. I am going to buy a new brush when I'm at the mall this week.

shoo
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoo
I brush toward my heart(although not sure why )
shoo
It has to do with the way the lymphatic system flows.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: newsox
Start Date: February 2006
This sounds really interesting, I've never heard of it before. I'm thinking it would help me get rid of those little bumps I get on my legs.
newsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: layla01
Stats: 255-194-150
WOE: WhateverWorks
Start Date: 02/12/06-@218lbs.
ok

i bought a brush like 3 weeks ago and i forgot about it till reading this thread...thanks....i will get right to it.....
layla01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jada
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 28/07/05
huh?
jada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jada
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 28/07/05
no way, gotta try this out, my thighs look like orange peels
jada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:28 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DEBI IN OHIO
Stats: 235.5/-----/150ish?
WOE: Diabetic.lower carbs
Start Date: 05/01, restart 2/22/08 again
do the brushes say natural right on the tag??? I wouldnt know what a natural one looked like...I was loking at brushes at kamrt..but had no clue what to buy
DEBI IN OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:20 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wen774
Thanks for the responces...i though my poor thread was going unanswered when I left the house yesterday.

Anyway...i have done the dry skin brushing only twice now and I swear I can already feel a difference in the softness of my skin. I will definately keep this up. I wonder if if this would work on facial skin as well, obviously with a smaller softer brush, anyone?

I bought my brush for about 3$ at Eckert and it is boar bristle with a removable handle...really nice.
wen774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:27 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbgrl4life
Stats: size 22/12-14/10
Start Date: Over and Over and Over...
I need to try this!! Thanks!!
lowcarbgrl4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:39 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Okay -- I've started this today and I'll be interested to see results in a couple of weeks. I found a $4 natural sisal brush at a discount store called Tuesday Morning. It also had a loofah on the back side, which I'm not crazy about but heck, for four buck I can overlook it! I did some looking around for different techniques, and the one I settled on was to start with the thighs, brushing in light strokes upward. Then move to knees/calves, and feet last. Then upper arms, elbows/lower arms, and finally hands. Then downward strokes on the neck, followed by stroking towards the heart from the lower belly, ribs, upper back, then lower back.

My main skin issue is that my torso skin is somewhat loose. Some cellulite, but it's not awful. And from 2 pregnancies I have a small number of pale stretch marks on my upper thighs in front, and lowest part of my belly. (UGH! I went through my first pregnancy with NO stretch marks until 2 weeks before delivery -- when my baby "dropped" the sudden expansion in that lower area caused them to develop literally overnight.) I am hoping that my skin will look smoother & tighter after this.

What's 5 minutes each morning on the chance it'll work?
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msmeliss58
Stats: 210/195/160
Start Date: 05/24/04 Restart 08/01/05
Oh I have my trusty brush on my vanity and haven't been doing it either. I got my natural boar bristle brush w/ detachable handle at Wal-Mart for under a buck!! I really need to start doing this again. It does work and my stomach is my worst area!! Everything else is getting smaller and tightening up. Thanks for bringing the subject up. Oh I also didn't know we were supposed to be brushing towards our heart Thanks!!
Also try taking Evening Primrose Oil, not only does it seem to reduce belly fat but TOM symptoms have improved drastically. Like as in was going to have a hysterectomy and now there is no reason too...
msmeliss58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:12 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: scotslvr
I am glad yall are discussing this. I just started doing the brushing, but I just have a hand held loofah type thing I am using. I will check out Walmart for the boar bristle one. Thanks! I just started taking the Borage Oil which has lots of "GLA" in it and my excema on my ankles has disappeared totally. I am hoping between the Oil and the brushing to get my skin in better shape. Is there any particular type of brush other than a natural bristle one that is better than others?
scotslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kkat55
[COLOR="Teal"]Anyone have any updates for us?[/COLOR]
kkat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dikeirene
Skin brushing works wonders!

I started doing the dry skin brushing regime religiously for the past 3 weeks and I am in awe at the results!!! my skin looks toned, this tiny cellulite hole i always had is starting to diminish, and i just realized that the few stretchmarks i have on my calves are gone!!!
I basically skin brush every day after my workout, and before jumping in the shower. Then I alternate 3 times between hot and very cold showers! it stimulates your body, your skin has a healthy glow and it feels super soft.
After this you must nourish your skin with organic coconut oil, any cream will do as long as its ORGANIC. Stay away from parabens, sulfites, and other toxins.
You can also boost your skin and body with a shot of organic apple cider vinegar. Your body will shed off pounds, waste and you feel energetic. Also the apple cider vinegar helps with any disorders that your skin may have. In my case its helping me clear from Hormonal acne that I endured for the past year. It works wonders. Have fun with these healthy alternatives!!! they really work.
dikeirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #28

Gallery: skeopple
Stats: (350+)336/259/159
WOE: Low Carb, forever
Start Date: 1/14/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikeirene View Post
I started doing the dry skin brushing regime religiously for the past 3 weeks and I am in awe at the results!!! my skin looks toned, this tiny cellulite hole i always had is starting to diminish, and i just realized that the few stretchmarks i have on my calves are gone!!!
I basically skin brush every day after my workout, and before jumping in the shower. Then I alternate 3 times between hot and very cold showers! it stimulates your body, your skin has a healthy glow and it feels super soft.
After this you must nourish your skin with organic coconut oil, any cream will do as long as its ORGANIC. Stay away from parabens, sulfites, and other toxins.
You can also boost your skin and body with a shot of organic apple cider vinegar. Your body will shed off pounds, waste and you feel energetic. Also the apple cider vinegar helps with any disorders that your skin may have. In my case its helping me clear from Hormonal acne that I endured for the past year. It works wonders. Have fun with these healthy alternatives!!! they really work.
That's great information! Especially from someone who does it and can report results. Thanks for posting this.
skeopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rosetta
Stats: 198/149/135
Start Date: July, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okira View Post
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT brush hard. VERY little pressure is all you need! Trust me...I've been doing this daily for over 2 years! Yes, it works wonders for cellulite, tightening skin, and reducing stretch marks. Make sure you're using a natural and not synthetic brush.
Peace,
Okira
Good advice! Please don't ever brush too hard. This dry brushing method works, I've used it very successfully myself, but pressure is not needed. My thighs really improved a lot with gentle brushing. It's not good to rough up the skin. Be especially careful if you have ANY rough, dry patches on your skin. If you see stubborn dry patches on your elbows or knees, you might not want to rub your skin with a brush at all, or do it very carefully, avoiding those spots! Dry scaly patches might be psoriasis in the early stages. Injuring psoriasis can make it flare up and turn red & ugly and then it can spread. Trust me, it's not pretty or easy to control once it's aggravated. Gentle is so much safer. Skin needs love and care.

Reached Goal 135 lbs. (11-14-2003)

*Successfully maintained at or under my 135 goal from 2003 until 2008! After that, up & down.
Rosetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #30
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
ok silly question..

I hate cold showers.. Will this work with out the cold shower? and how cold? like just cold water turned on? thats insane lol
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote