Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Skin Care / Make-up (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-skin-care-make-up/)
-   -   OT: The Oil Cleansing Method (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-skin-care-make-up/234834-ot-oil-cleansing-method.html)

DiamondDeb 05-17-2004 07:54 PM

OT: The Oil Cleansing Method

Hey Guys! Arlene mentioned this in the daily chat a few days ago & since some of you seemed interested I wanted to share the whole thing with you because it is just amazing! :clap: :up: I had posted a thread asking what everyone's night time skin care regime was and below is Louise's (many of you know Louise from here) reply. I've added other info from later posts at the end.

This is for ALL skin types & I highly recommend it! You'll really be amazed at what it will do for your skin! :up:

[COLOR=red]The Oil Cleansing Method [/COLOR]

Well, my routine is very different than everyone else's, so I thought I'd post it. I use what is called the oil cleansing method to clean my face. I use a mixture of castor oil and olive oil, with a few drops of lavander oil as well. You'd think it would just make things worse, but it makes my skin look so nice! I have HUGE pores, and they were all full of blackheads. The last 2 times I had a facial, the lady said there was nothing she could do for me--my pores were just too clogged. :(

Here is an article on the oil cleansing method:

When cleansing and moisturizing your skin, it is imperative that you keep in mind that oil disolves oil. Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not cause you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads and whiteheads are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it. It is not a malicious force to be reckoned with, it is there for the benefit of your skin. It is naturally occurring. Oil helps lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturize your skin so that it may function properly. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing.

While I'm talking about the benefits of oil applied externally, I'd like to mention how important it is to moisturize from the inside as well. WATER! Drink no less than 8 glasses of water a day. If your skin has issues with blemishes, drink up! Water will help release and remove the toxins from within, leaving behind glowing, dewey, toned skin. Carry a bottle of water around with you throughout the day so water is always available.

Now, to the point of this article.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is used for moisture, while Castor Oil (CO) is used for cleansing. Castor Oil tends to be a bit on the thick side, so a mix of the two (EVOO/CO) is frequently used. This allows for the Castor Oil to really sink into the pores and draw out the dirt and grime to the surface. You can vary this ratio to match your skins needs. More EVOO for moisture or more CO for cleansing (25/75 EVOO/CO for Oily skin, or 75/25 EVOO/CO for dry skin). EVOO is incredibly high in antioxidants, while CO is excellent for drawing and healing. CO has been the focus of many books and medical discussion because of its seemingly "magical" healing properties. It only makes sense (after a bit of research) that one would use CO on their face to help treat blemishes and acne, or simply to make their skin look and feel better.

As quoted in The Oil That Heals by Dr. McGarey, a country doctor (unknown?) states, "Castor oil will leave the body in better condition than it found it."

[COLOR=blue]The Routine:[/COLOR]
  • Massage a substantial amount (the cup of your palm, while hand is held open) of EVOO/CO into your face and neck.

This is to be done over makeup or any visible dirt. Take this time to give yourself a facial massage. Really work the oil into your skin. Take your time, breathe deeply, and relax. Sit down to do this if it helps.

You, of course, do not have to sit and relax, but keep in mind that stress isn't good for your skin and you should take any moment you can to destress and let tension float away.
  • Take a washcloth, terry cloth or flannel preferred, and soak it in steamy hot water. Wring it out and drape it over your face.

What we are doing is steaming your face as an esthetician would, but without the steam machine. You want to open your pores. This helps release any impurities from deep within your pores.
  • As the washcloth begins to cool, gently wipe the oil and dirt away. This will also help remove any dead skin cells that are stubbornly clinging on.
  • Rinse the washcloth out in hot water and wipe away any remaining impurities. You may have to do this two or three times more to remove any remaining dirt and oil residue, but it will come off leaving your skin with a beautiful, healthy glow. No additional cleansing is necessary.
  • After you have rinsed well, you can either splash your face with cool water to help tone and close your pores, or if your face feels tight, you can moisturize.
  • If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your EVOO/CO, rub it between your clean, damp palms and pat it into your damp skin. Massage any oil residue into your skin so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface. Being prone to breakouts, myself, I've found that this is perhaps the most important step.
Your skin should glow now.

Within two times of doing this, my skin looked completely different. Usually I apply a little oil on my face at the end.

Louise

The above is the daily method, but once a week try actually doing the steam. When I said I wished my washcloth would stay hot longer Louise suggested doing the steam. It's a bit more time consuming & she does it once a week, which is what I plan to do.

[COLOR=blue]The Steam Method:[/COLOR][list=1][*]Heat up a large bowl of water (boiling or slightly below).[*]Put oil on face, massage in.[*]Get a towel, and drape it over your head. [*]Steam your face over the bowl, under the towel for 3-5 mins.[*]Apply more oil if needed, massage a little more.[*]Rinse as usual.[/list=1] You gotta kind of work it out so that the water is hot when you are ready for it. Sometimes I just stand there staring at the microwave with oil dripping onto my shirt. Other times most of the oil has soaked in by the time the water is ready......so you just have to use trial and error. I usually do this once a week.

Glad you like it!

Louise

FYI: Castor oil can be found at health food stores & in the pharmacy section of some grocery stores with the laxatives. (Nod to Beth :) ). Lavender essential oil can also be found at health food stores. It is optional added only for the scent. It's also nice to put a drop or two on your pillow or sheets. :)

Louise mixes 1 cup at a time & keeps it in a 20 oz, water bottle. I happened to have an old 8 oz. water bottle like they give you on the airlines & I used that.

Louise uses this in the evenings only because if it gets in your hair it will make it greasy. I've been doing it evening & morning both since I usually wash my hair in the morning anyway.

[COLOR=blue]Deb's Results:[/COLOR] I've been using this twice a day since Friday evening, May 7. A little over a week. After 1 use, the little blackheads on my nose appeared to be gone. I suppose there might have been 1-2 but I couldn't find them! :D They haven't come back either! :cool: My skin has this dewy, glowy look! Very cool! It was smoother. All those things are reason enough to try this but what totally blew me away is how it decreases lines/wrinkles!!! :up: I swear they are getting smaller & less noticable by the day! http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawk...wpage06/14.gif

I really am extremely impressed with this & think everyone should give it a try. I mixed up a tiny bit first to see if I liked it but now I am mixing 1 cup at a time. It will last quite a while. I have combination skin & use a 50/50 mix of CO & EVOO with a few drops of lavendar oil for scent.

Enjoy! :)

Arabikia 05-17-2004 08:47 PM

Thanks Deb! I can't wait to try this! Especially with my dd. She has incredibly BAD acne and is very self conscious about it. We have tried EVERYTHING on the market but nothing seems to help. I'll let you know if this works for her!

Leenie 05-18-2004 05:07 AM

Thanks for taking the time to do this Deb!

I bought one of those cheap plastic bottles from Wal Mart and mixed up a 50/50 EVOO/CO solution. I've been using 1 time a day at night and am amazed at the difference already. I have large pores on and around my nose. The smaller ones are closed up and the larger ones are noticeably smaller. I'm thrilled! I have noticed also that some of the fine lines are disappearing. Most of all, I love that dewy, glowy look!

Best of all is the price!

I'm anxious to see how this works on kids with acne. I need to make up a mixture of 25/75 EVOO/CO for youngest DS to try.

Thanks to Louise for sharing her secret!!!

inatic 05-18-2004 10:49 AM

I cant wait to try this.

Wish I would have stopped at the market on the way home!

lynnjp 05-18-2004 05:42 PM

Thanks so much for posting this I can not wiat to give it a try-I am BIG into skin care and have spent a fortune trying every cream that has ever come out!!!

DiamondDeb 05-18-2004 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lynnjp
Thanks so much for posting this I can not wiat to give it a try-I am BIG into skin care and have spent a fortune trying every cream that has ever come out!!!
Me too! You are going to love this! lol...I keep wondering if doing it 3 times a day would be even better! There are days when I could do that... My skin just looks so much better--and younger! :up: :clap:

[COLOR=blue]One Very Happy Bodybuilding Biker Babe Here! :D [/COLOR]

inatic 05-21-2004 03:24 AM

Morning :)

I gave this a whirl for about 2 days now. It sure does seem to be doing something. My skin looks different :) It sure does seem to look younger , or it is my old eyes playing tricks on me ;) :laugh:

My mix was also the 50/50 as I have combination skin as well. I have not put any additional oil on for moisture and I have not tried the steam method yet.

I plan to continue to use this and see what happens. I would love for all the wrinkles to just disappear!

Who else has tried it ??

Sharss 05-22-2004 05:14 PM

The facial steam bath idea has been around for decades, although things that used to be common back when, the younguns never heard of.

The way I was taught was to boil water in a pan, turn the heat down and then drape the towel over your head at a comfortable, but useful distance.

I'll have to try the oil cleansing method myself!

Shar

DiamondDeb 05-23-2004 08:13 PM

Ileen, after I do the cleansing I put a tiny drop on my finger and massage it in completely. I still use my regular moisturizer since it has sunscreen in it.

I've been doing this twicw a day for two weeks and I continue to see improvements! :up: Amazing when you consider how much money we spend on expensive cleansers & creams that don't deliver what they promise!

When I have time, especially in the evening, I spend extra time massaging the oil in before I use the hot washcloth. I don't know if it makes a difference but it feels good!

If you've tried this you know what I mean! If you haven't tried it yet what's taking you so long? ;)

inatic 05-24-2004 07:46 AM

Do you still need to exfoliate if you are doing this cleaning method. When would one suggest that if so?

So far so good. Not exactly sure what is going on with my face but I do feel does look healthy and glowing. :) I dont seem to see as many wrinkles either but my tan could be hiding all of that for now.

I'll keep at it.

Deb can you put a link to the original post about this?

lynnjp 05-24-2004 08:57 AM

I have been doing this for the past three days now and have to tell you it is WONDERFUL-I have used hgh quality products in the past and find this to be pretty darn terrific-my skin feels incredibly soft afterward and although I do not really need any additional moisturizer I have been adding some in like you Deb for the SPF. Can't wait to see what a couple of weeks of this will do for my skin but it is already glowing!! THANKS!!! :hugs:

DiamondDeb 05-24-2004 05:22 PM

Ileen, I really hadn't thought about whether you need to exfoliate. I usually give myself a facial once or twice a week but haven't since starting this. Good question! Maybe someone else would know?

The board is a private one so the link wouldn't work. I'm not sure we're allowed to post them anyway. I sent you a PM about the site if you want to join.

Lynn, I love how soft this makes my skin, too. I put a little on my hands & elbows sometimes & it makes them nice & soft too. . :D

Leenie 05-24-2004 07:12 PM

I was thinking this weekend this would be great on my feet also. I'm not really seeing miracle wrinkle reducing, but I love the way my skin looks and feels. I also love the way my makeup goes on in the morning with nice smooth skin.

nl_schober 05-24-2004 09:41 PM

Ileen,

I would think that scrubbing with a wash rag would be enough exfoliation.

Can't find castor oil here yet. I know I bought it in bulk back when I was a chemical trader, it's used as a lubricant in fuels but I don't want a metric ton:rofl:

So I am using some vitamin E oil instead. I am using it head to toe.

Louise 05-25-2004 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Leenie
I was thinking this weekend this would be great on my feet also. I'm not really seeing miracle wrinkle reducing, but I love the way my skin looks and feels. I also love the way my makeup goes on in the morning with nice smooth skin.
Hello everyone! Glad you are all enjoying this method for cleaning your faces!

Leenie--I've only done it once, but I got out of the shower, dried off, put the oil on my feet, and then put on socks. In the morning, my feet were super soft.

I also tried it on my legs once, but with the castor oil, it was just too thick and didn't soak in very well. I have used straight olive oil to moisturize my legs. I have some other body oil I usually use, but olive oil works if I am out of the other stuff.

Louise

Leenie 05-25-2004 08:36 PM

Hi Louise!!! Thank you thank you! I did use this on my feet this morning and loved it!

DiamondDeb 05-25-2004 08:54 PM

I was actually wondering about putting it on my feet also!! I'm going to try it tonight with socks! Thanks Louise!

Nancy, c'mon, you can think of something to do with a ton of caster oil! ;) You bought it by the ton? Really? :eek:

ang 05-26-2004 03:37 PM

I began the method on sunday and my sking has broken out VERY badly. My skin is itchy and red. Has anyone got this? Maybe the oil is not good for my skin?!

LyndyLu 05-26-2004 03:50 PM

Ang - I was afraid of trying this. I had tried witch hazel and tea tree oil once at the recommendation of a friend, and my face did the same - broke out even worse. They told me to stick with it, but I just couldn't handle it anymore. So, I've been keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone had had a problem with the "treatment".

I guess some of us just have more sensitive skin. I guess what works for some, doesn't work for all - haven't we heard that before? LOL

nl_schober 06-12-2004 12:51 PM

Yeah! I found castor oil here, it's called 'miracle oil'.

I've tried the vitamin E oil and it's great everywhere except my upper back and face. I have dry skin but I think my face can only take this about once a week in the summer.

lynnjp 06-12-2004 06:30 PM

I LOVE this -my skin really is feeling so very soft it is amazing and I really do think that some of my lines are beginning to soften also. Will have to give it a shot on my feet-that sounds jsut like what I am needing!!

ang-sorry this has not worked for you I have had NO problems whatsoever with it

divinem 09-30-2004 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Louise
I have used straight olive oil to moisturize my legs.

I tried this and the cats wouldn't leave me alone!!! Simba kept licking and licking and licking. I finally had to throw them out of the room and close the door! :eek:

DiamondDeb 09-30-2004 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by divinem
I tried this and the cats wouldn't leave me alone!!! Simba kept licking and licking and licking. I finally had to throw them out of the room and close the door! :eek:
OMGosh, how funny! :rofl:

Louise must not have cats??? :laugh:

I haven't tried olive oil on my legs yet but I've been using the CO/OO blend since I posted this & still love it! :up:

Leenie 09-30-2004 06:22 PM

:rofl:

I am still using this also and won't go back to using any other kind of cleansers. Love it!

liteweight 10-01-2004 02:21 AM

This did not bode well for my face, as I was one of the ones that broke out with it. However, you just triggered the idea of a use for the 2 jars of coconut oil I have----- leg, foot and hand cream through the winter. Thanks!:)

nl_schober 10-01-2004 02:25 AM

Lite-Bril' idea! I'm gonna try coconut oil in my gel socks and on my hands! Thanx

inatic 10-01-2004 02:50 AM

I still ocassionally use the oil treatment stuff on my face.. LOl when I remember and an not too tired to fuss with it.

I have noticed that since i am not using it as consistantly as i was, i am breaking out more than usual. Guess that in it self should tell me something!

I use the ratio of more Castor oil than Olive oil as my face tends to get oily. I do use my Coc oil on my body sometimes. Mainly on my legs and feet. I dont like the smell on my upper body or hands that would get too close to my nose. :sick: I prefer my body butter for that ;)

adpitan 10-05-2004 06:25 AM

I'm so afraid to try new things, I have such sensitive skin. I get my facial w/extractions every 4-6 weeks. I look awful for about a day or two depending on how much extraction needs to be done but I'll tell you it is 100 % worth it. I use the products recommended by my facial girl and use an exfoliating scrub 1-2 times a week, I've been told I could do it more than that.

DiamondDeb ~ Since you have been told you are full of blackheads do they do extractions for you? And if they do, do they only do it for a short period of time? You might want to see if you can find someone who will do the extractions until you are clear or until you can't take it any more. I'm not going to lie, it hurts and the first few times you get it done your eyes water. But I can not even begin to describe how much happier I am. My suggestion is after you find someone who does all the extractions for you or until you can't take it any more is do not have plans for the rest of the day. I NEVER want to be seen after my facials, I go straight home.

Find an facial person you like, if you like and trust the products then use what they recommend. They should not recommend anything they would not use themselves or that they don't use during their facial sessions. There is always yuckiness that lurks below the surface that we can't get to. I thought my skin looked pretty close to flawless and then I see my facial girl and she starts doing a ton of extraction and when I left I felt like I looked like some teenage girl w/bad acne. But I know in 1-2 days this will all calm down and my skin will be beautiful once again. Make sure you see the facial person every 4-6 weeks, exfoliation is a huge help while your in btwn appointments and don't forget to moisturize morning & night.

Just my 2 cents. :)

MI CHICK 10-17-2004 06:27 AM

Happy to find this thread! The cleansing lotion I've
used on my face for years has been discontinued....
been dreading spending $$'s trying to find something
else, but now I will try this first. Had very oily skin
with large pores up til 45 and was always trying
something to help with those problems. Was so
surprised when the lotion worked so good! Now
I know why. Thanks for all the good info. Tomorrow
after work I will be making stops looking for the
Castor Oil.

MI CHICK 10-30-2004 07:04 PM

Well I finally found the Castor oil & mixed up a
batch of the cleanser. Great stuff I am happy to
say. Thanks so much for the info!!! I did the 75/25
ratio and I still use my night creme for my face &
my eye cream at nite. Cleanse both a.m. & p.m.
with the mixture. Didn't have the odd smell that
I thought it would so I didn't mess with finding
the lavendar oil.