Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Does anyone know if OT: The Oil Cleansing Method works to get rid of white heads. I have tried everything people talk about, searched the internet and so far nothing has helped. TIA................ Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #242
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
is that where you have an impact in the pores on the surface? where if you squeeze it the white gunk comes out?

Well, I had one of those two days ago. it was really painful but below the surface so it wouldn't surface but just make pressure. I use castor and olive oil and massages my face , especially over that spot and I didn't steam just wiped it off and use coconut oil on top of my skin. Later the same day that deeply embedded impact came to the surface and practically oozed out on it's own but instead of the huge bruised blister type wound, it's just a small pinprick that's already healed over with little pain.

I'm sure that when I did this regularly, my skin cleared up from these significantly and when I forget, it still recovers faster.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Metga, These are just white, don't ooze are just hard. I tried digging them out with a needle, it took a lot of effort, was painful, left a big red spot and I was hoping maybe this would work. I use scrub on my face all the time, so not sure at my age why I'm having this problem. Thanks, I don't have olive oil, but do have coconut oil, so going to try it............ Ann
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #244

Go ahead and try it, mine are hard when they are beneath the surface and if I forced them out they were like a grain of cooked rice ( I consider that hard) and left a big hole and red swollen hump. that usually left a big scar or it would fill up again on top of the old spot. I have scars on my face from those annoyances. I also used scrubs. the ones with crushed bits, the ones with fruit acids, all kinds. but I still got em.

they only seemed to "ooze" out after having done the Oil Cleaning. I guess the oil helped to dissolve it even under my skin? When they surface they are not nearly as painful and don't rip my skin as much so the scarring has been much less if at all. Usually a week later I can't tell where it used to be. I like that a lot! Since I tend to get keloids from too big a wound, anything to reduce damage means less scar tissue.

In fact the whitehead I just dealt with now only looks like a tiny bump that could just be skin irregularity. No redness, no scar or keloid, no repeat impaction like I used to get. I'm really happy with the effects of oil cleansing.

Last edited by metqa; 07-26-2011 at 09:09 AM..
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Metga, I haven't noticed any difference yet, but will keep going........Ann
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #246
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
My skin is mostly clear from LC, but the blackheads are bad, so I'm going to try the OCM tonight.

I'd heard of it for a long time, but just never tried it. I have been using a 50/50 mix of evoo and vco on damp skin after washing face and body for a while now, but not actually cleansing with it. I hope the castor oil doesn't cause an increase in facial hair (I've read it's used sometimes to make eyebrows, eyelashes, and hair grow). Still, I am willing to try it to get rid of these numerous blackheads.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 08-28-2011 at 10:25 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #247
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ravine
I started the OCM around a week and a half ago, and it has definitely improved the tone of my skin, though the feel of it hasn't gone through much change. I wanna alter the way I do the method a bit, because I feel like there isn't enough steam coming from using the cloth, so hopefully that will make things better. I'm still getting a few pimples here and there, but I know my hormones have a lot to do with that. As soon as I start low-carb, I'm positive that I'll be mostly acne-free (until that time of the month hits, that is).
Ravine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #248

Oh, I get more steam by dipping a face towel in the hot water then lifting it out and draping it across the spigot. the steam rises off the porous towel much more vigorously. Another silly method I've tried is stirring the hot water with a wooden spoon. REally!!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #249
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jill_in_the_box
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: April 4th, 2011
I realize this thread is an older one, but I just started the OCM about a month and a half or so ago and while I was searching for more information about it I ran across this thread.

I found out about the OCM after someone that I follow on Pinterest pinned it. After reading through the blog post about it, I decided to give it a try. I use a 25/75 combo of Castor Oil and Sunflower Oil. I have dry cheeks and an oily T-zone and large pores on my nose and chin that were loaded with blackheads. SO gross. Nothing I ever used seemed to help with the blackheads. Not to mention, my skin just looked, well, blah. I occasionally have breakouts, mainly when I'm stressed.

Then, I started using the Oil Cleansing Method. Oh. My. Gosh. What a wonderful thing this has been for my skin. Within one week, I saw a CONSIDERABLE decrease in the amount and size of the blackheads, especially on my nose. The dry patches that were on my cheeks (and around my eyes and eyebrows) disappeared - almost overnight. I've used it about every other day since I started, just washing with a warm wet washcloth on the days I don't do the whole routine. First, I wet my face with warm water, then I put the CO/SO mixture in my hand, about a quarter-sized amount of it. I rub my hands together and then massage the oil all over my face, focusing on the problem areas (nose and chin). I massage for about a minute or so, then let it sit on my skin for about 5 minutes. Then, I take a clean washcloth and wet it with some reasonably hot water. I press the cloth onto my face and hold it there for about 15-20 seconds. Then I wipe my skin down until my skin doesn't feel slick with the oil anymore. I usually end up doing this about 4-5 times to get it all off. My skin feels soft, but not oily. After I dry it, I put a few drops of straight sunflower oil onto my fingertips and then massage it into my cheeks, around my eyes and eyebrows. If I don't do this, these areas end up feeling a little dry.

I tell everyone I know about this method. I really wish I had known about this when I was in high school and prone to hormonal breakouts. This would have been a life saver for me. My brother, too...he had to go on Acutane to treat his acne.

I have tried both EVOO and sunflower oil and I must say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sunflower oil. I use it (straight, not mixed with anything) on my hands, on my legs after I shave, on my heels and elbows...it's WONDERFUL. It leaves my skin so soft and supple. I even put it on my lips as it gets cold where I live and my lips get chapped in the winter. It works wonders.

One thing I have learned in all of the research I have done on this method: when you get Castor Oil, make sure it is Hexane free and cold-pressed...I've heard that if it is not, it can cause problems, like large, painful cyst-like acne. I got mine at a natural food/herbal store in our area. It was less than $4 for a pretty good sized bottle. I also got the Sunflower Oil at the same place, $7 for a huge bottle. I won't run out for a while. Oh, and I also read somewhere that if you are using Coconut Oil and you get breakouts, try switching to a different oil...apparently Coconut Oil can be comedogenic (causes acne) if it's not processed a certain way. Try switching to sunflower oil, avocado oil, or EVOO and see if that helps. Also, like others have said here, if your mixture is drying your skin out too much, cut back on the Castor Oil. My 25/75 mixture seems to do the trick for me, but I know that if I bumped up the Castor Oil percentage to more than 25%, my skin would not like me. I can see how it can be very drying. According to others' testimonies, you may need to play around with the percentages and types of oils for a bit before you find the perfect combination for your skin.

Good luck to anyone who is looking into trying this method. It's amazing!!!!

Jilly

Last edited by jill_in_the_box; 01-09-2012 at 09:14 AM..
jill_in_the_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #250
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Who is still doing oil cleansing?

I still do the cleansing sometimes but I use Castor Oil more often as an overnight treatment.

I need to start oil cleansing more regularly. I love the results.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #251
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
I do it, but not religiously. I absolutely love the way my skin feels when I do it.
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #252

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I do it every single night! Love it!
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I use a 50/50 mix of castor and EVOO to clean my face every time I wear makeup. Wipe on, wipe off, no water involoved! Nothing else gets my skin as clean without drying it out painfully. Reminds me that I need to mix up another bottle!
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I do it every single night! Love it!
I am going to do it tonight before I wash my hair. I like to leave it on for a while before taking it off.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #255

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
I am going to try it. I use vitamin e on my skin and its really improved. Off to search the thread for the recipe
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluqq View Post
I am going to try it. I use vitamin e on my skin and its really improved. Off to search the thread for the recipe
Check post #!.

I cleansed with Castor Oil a little bit ago. I have oily skin & found I don't need to add VOO. My skin loved it...gotta do this more often.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I have dry skin, but I find the castor oil too tacky by itself. And with the EVOO, I smell like salad afterwards!
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
I have dry skin, but I find the castor oil too tacky by itself. And with the EVOO, I smell like salad afterwards!
The dryer your skin the less Castor Oil you should use, the more Virgin Olive Oil you should use.

If you smell like salad you might not have gotten it all off.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #259
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NewYorkGiants32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
Does anyone know if OT: The Oil Cleansing Method works to get rid of white heads. I have tried everything people talk about, searched the internet and so far nothing has helped. TIA................ Ann
tea tree oil!!
NewYorkGiants32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #260

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
To not smell like olive oil I add a couple drops of lavender essential oil to my bottle. It's supposed to be a soothing aroma so it's quite nice at night right before bed. I don't do this routine in the a.m.

Tea tree oil mixed? Or straight?
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
just found this thread, lots of info, just bought some Vit E oil, will have to find out how to use this ----subbing to read later....
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #262

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
just found this thread, lots of info, just bought some Vit E oil, will have to find out how to use this ----subbing to read later....
Sunny that was me! Just use it as a moisturizer. I pour some in my hands (little goes a long way) and pat all over
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
To not smell like olive oil I add a couple drops of lavender essential oil to my bottle. It's supposed to be a soothing aroma so it's quite nice at night right before bed. I don't do this routine in the a.m.

Tea tree oil mixed? Or straight?
Always mixed. That stuff is really really strong!

Do you have felines? if so , make sure they stay away from it, Tea tree oil is very toxic to cats. even a little bit.

I put coconut oil on afterward, but I have that scented with rose oil!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #264
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
*bumping for a friend*
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I'm bumping because I want to start this again. I am thinking of adding diatomaceous earth to the next batch of oil I mix. I used the "dirt" with some regular store bought cleanser and it is very mild and feels good. Anyone still using oil cleansing?
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #266

I still use Castor oil but I use it more often as an overnight treatment than a cleanser.

When I cleanse with it I usually leave it on for at least 30 minutes. I need to do that more often.

I research diatomaceous earth once in a while but haven't got around to trying it yet.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #267
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
I just found this thread today and would love to start this. Anyone use this over time? What were the results with consistent use? Am also looking for anti aging remedies for my skin. It shows a lot of wrinkles. Any ideas?
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

I plan on starting back on it as soon s I run out of conventional cleanser. Let us know how you progress.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LaRae
Stats: 275/257/I'll know
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 9/8/14
I am curious about adding the DE to your cleanser. I use a lot of DE for gardening, pests and I even take a heaping tablespoonful every day.
LaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

I have tried the DE with a mild store bought cleanser and it felt just like the cleansers with the mild scrubbing properties. It felt really good. I have not tried it with oil cleansing though but I think it would work well.