Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Skin Care / Make-up
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
I also started using coconut oil on my face. What other oils should I combine with it?
Amélie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Antigone, This is what I use:

½ cup coconut oil
½ Tablespoon (2 drams) olive oil
½ Tablespoon (2 drams) almond oil
½ Tablespoon (2 drams) aloe vera gel
½ Tablespoon (2 drams) grapeseed oil
Soften coconut oil (if needed). Add the other oils & aloe. Mix or blend well.

You can use any combo of these that you would like... They are all good for your skin.

Last time I made it, I added some Avacado oil as well. But that was mainly because I ordered it awhile back by mistake, and wasn't sure what I was gonna do with it. I figured it was also good for my skin, so decided to try it in my cream/lotion. I think it made it a little greasier than the one without it. But it does soak in. I doubt I will buy more of it tho when this is gone.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #93
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigone View Post
Anybody still doing this? This is my 2nd day and I don't see any significant different. If any, it looks like my skin is dry. Maybe I should use more olive oil.

Oh, and has anybody tried to do it by pure Castor first then Olive?
I'm still using it. I'm using the Castor oil alone and have been for quite a while. I ran out of EVOO and never remembered or thought it important enough to buy more.

If your skin is dry you should mix 75/25 EVOO/CO & try that.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #94
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeanLioness
Stats: 250/205/130 (-45 since Feb)
WOE: PBP / Paleo combined with IF
Start Date: Last restart: 02/06/2011
Quote:
Anybody still doing this? This is my 2nd day and I don't see any significant different. If any, it looks like my skin is dry. Maybe I should use more olive oil.

Oh, and has anybody tried to do it by pure Castor first then Olive?
Use that coconut oil on your face after cleansing, a couple small drops patted into the skin and then lightly massaged it a fabulous feeling and it will make your skin soooooo soft.!!!
LeanLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #95

Gallery: skeopple
Stats: (350+)336/259/159
WOE: Low Carb, forever
Start Date: 1/14/08
For as long as I can remember, I've had gigantic pores and acne. ALWAYS.

I've used the castor oil/olive oil combo with the hot cloth for 3 days in a row. I LOVE IT so far! Using only once a day to start cuz my skin likes to pull a break-out whenever I try something different.

Another plus to being at LCF. Thank you ladies.
skeopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
I have been using a 75/25 blend of Castor Oil and EVOO since January 26th of this year. I will not use anything else ever again!

I use it in the shower every other day. My face never gets oily, never gets dry and never breaks out. The fine lines that were starting around and under my eyes have faded down and my skin tone is pretty even as well. Although I am almost 38, most people mistake me for 30!!!

Although I still have blackheads on my nose, my pores have shrunk down quite a bit... which is just fine with me.

I tell everyone I can about Oil Cleansing! It is SOOOO good for my skin... and costs me about $1 a month to use.

~Bou
Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hey y'all!

I read today this can be done with organic virgin coconut oil. Will this be as effective as the Castor oil? Anyone know?
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
Hey y'all!

I read today this can be done with organic virgin coconut oil. Will this be as effective as the Castor oil? Anyone know?
It's debatable. I've never used it but it is what I would use if not happy with Castor oil. Both these oils are known for their healing properties. Personally, I love the way the original Castor oil method works and it saves me a lot of money. Using Virgin Coconut Oil would not be a bargain. I'll save that for cooking.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:57 AM   #99

Gallery: skeopple
Stats: (350+)336/259/159
WOE: Low Carb, forever
Start Date: 1/14/08
bump

OKAY! I've been cleansing with the castor oil and EVOO for a week now. Amazing stuff. At first I couldn't get used to the idea of 'oil cleaning away oil'. My whole face and neck are not mine anymore. WoW, what I would give to have known this about 40 years ago. But it also seems to renew and heal so much, as well as shrinking and cleaning pores. No oily residue. No itching. Less wrinkles.

If it's this good after a week, I may look like a 20 year old in a month or so. Yeah!

If you DO get breakouts while using, just endure. The best is yet to be.
skeopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lea77
I have been doing OCM for a few months now and I love it! I find that the longer I massage the oil in, the more gunk I can remove. Also, I still have stubborn blackheads (especially on the forehead) and I use Knox gelatin to take care of those. I mix on packet of Knox unflavored gelatin in a 1/8 measuring cup, then add hot (almost boiling) water to just below the rim. Mix it up and apply to your face (make sure its cooled down enough). Let it dry and then peel off. For me, this works 10 times better than the pore strips you can buy. And I can put it anywhere and not have to worry about trimming the pore strips or whatnot. It still amazes me how much stuff the gelatin removes.
lea77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea77 View Post
I have been doing OCM for a few months now and I love it! I find that the longer I massage the oil in, the more gunk I can remove. Also, I still have stubborn blackheads (especially on the forehead) and I use Knox gelatin to take care of those. I mix on packet of Knox unflavored gelatin in a 1/8 measuring cup, then add hot (almost boiling) water to just below the rim. Mix it up and apply to your face (make sure its cooled down enough). Let it dry and then peel off. For me, this works 10 times better than the pore strips you can buy. And I can put it anywhere and not have to worry about trimming the pore strips or whatnot. It still amazes me how much stuff the gelatin removes.

When you do the Knox, is it after you shower (to steam open the pores) and do you use the OCM before or after doing it?

I am VERY interested since I pretty much have stock in those damn pore strips that don't work as well as they should!
~Bou
Boudica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lea77
I'll do the OCM, and then use the Knox. When I first heard about it, the instructions said to use milk instead of water, but I couldn't stomache the smell (ugh!). It still has an odd smell, but seeing as how cheap it is I can deal with it
If I go a couple weeks without using it, it's like a little forest that comes out on it! It seriously amazes me
lea77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #104

Gallery: wannabeslim4life
Stats: 177/163/120
marking my spot
wannabeslim4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #105
HAB
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: HAB
Stats: Highest 278/Start 256/Now 203/150
subscribing
HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I tried the Knox once. I like to never have gotten it all off my face, and nearly took most of the skin with it!!!
I'll not use that stuff again. You could probably put on a thin layer of the cleanser or an oil on before applying the Knox, and it might help.
If you have dry skin, I highly advise trying it on a very small area of your skin first!!!
I only made up a very small amount of it, & am glad I did. It was still enough to spread over my whole face (and neck - really bad idea!), and some left over.

I love the oil cleansing (won't say method, cause I don't follow that - I just cleanse with it)!!!

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 09-23-2008 at 08:28 AM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #107
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
Just a question... I read this whole thread awhile back and just started doing the Oil Cleansing Method a few days ago.

Does anyone recommend anything for under the eyes or should this method help the wrinkling in that area? I just turned 40 and my under eye area is really bad.

Any suggestions?
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Donna View Post
Just a question... I read this whole thread awhile back and just started doing the Oil Cleansing Method a few days ago.

Does anyone recommend anything for under the eyes or should this method help the wrinkling in that area? I just turned 40 and my under eye area is really bad.

Any suggestions?
This method does help under the eyes, too. It makes a good moisturizing night treatment, too.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skeeweeaka
Stats: 235/215/135
WOE: Low Carb! Alternate Day!
Start Date: March 2008! January '09 Restart!
Marking my spot...
skeeweeaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #110
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sprinklesmom
Stats: A little less donk in the old badonkadonk
Could treatment be used on arms as well? I find that the back of my arms have always had clogged pores. Very frustrating.
sprinklesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklesmom View Post
Could treatment be used on arms as well? I find that the back of my arms have always had clogged pores. Very frustrating.
I don't see why not. I actually use it on the back of my hands and on my elbows in the shower and have noticed that they are MUCH softer!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: northernstar
Stats: 314/180/160
Start Date: RNY June 25, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklesmom View Post
Is it keratosis pilaris? ("Chicken skin")

Oil can definitely help with this, a lot of people find coconut oil especially helpful. Rub it on when you get out of the shower, and take it easy with scrubbing and harsh soaps.

I used to have horrible KP and have really cleared it up.
northernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #113
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Shancopp
Stats: pregnant/fat again/thin again
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/09
Subscribing

I've been using CO as a moisturizer for about a month (not routinely...I'm bad about taking care of my face). When I cleanse, my face feels very tight and in the natural light I could see very rough, flaking skin on my forehead and between my eyes. I started the CO and it is gone. I didn't know about cleansing with it tho and am anxious to try it!!
Shancopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #114
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernstar View Post

Oil can definitely help with this, a lot of people find coconut oil especially helpful. Rub it on when you get out of the shower, and take it easy with scrubbing and harsh soaps.

I have had this since childhood myself. I did nothing for it for the most part (except pick, which made it worse and more obvious). Then I saw Avon has a "bump minimizing" cream. LOVE IT! I rub some on before bed and it has really helped. I also exfoliate my upper arms w/a pumice stone in the shower. I've read the exfoliation and moisturization are the only things you can do for it. It's hereditary, but harmless *tho ugly*.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #115
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sprinklesmom
Stats: A little less donk in the old badonkadonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernstar View Post

Thank you so much northernstar and shancop! I never knew there was a term for this. I received my EVCO yesterday so I
will give it a try.

Oh and I just did a google search on this condition. I never knew this existed!!! It's so nice to know I'm not alone! I was a compulsive "picker" and suffered from scabs and scars on my arm but couldn't resist! So many others have been in the same boat. I thought I was such a freak! Thank you so much for giving me this information.

Here is the information I found

Keratosis Pilaris - A Skin Disorder Without A Cure, But There Are Treatments That Work - What is Sensitive Skin? - Epinions.com

Last edited by sprinklesmom; 11-07-2008 at 01:50 PM..
sprinklesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #116
Big Yapper!!!!

I've grown to be used to it. I never would wear sleeveless tops because of it. Now it doesn't bother me so much, but I still don't wear sleeveless cuz my arms are so flabby! Try the Avon lotion. Cheap and it makes you skin feel much softer...less "goose pimpley". Luckily, I don't have it on my face, but do a small amt on the back of my thighs.

DS has it now. I hate that I gave it to him. Upper arms and is getting bumps on his face. I don't know if it is the start of "teenagers pimples/black/whiteheads" or if it is KP sneaking up on his face. Mostly his chin. He's 9 and I'm sure his face is a petri dish of dirt and germs most of the time. I have started having him use a clearasil acne pad on his face each nite before bed.

Good luck to ya!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan81
Wow - that sounds great! Thank you so much for detailing it all out for us! I'm going to try this and send it to others!
Susan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
going back to this ...
Amélie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
going back to this ...
This is definitely one of the BEST THINGS I've ever done for myself! Each morning I shower, cleanse my face, rub virgin coconut oil on my skin and NOT ONCE in 24 hours does my face get dry or ANY of my skin itch!

I have no T-zone any longer. I don't need strong facial scrubs or dermabrasion (a bit of CO/OO on a washcloth, scrubbed in a circular motion across my face works like crazy!). I NEVER have red patches on my face or ANY kind of oily or dry skin.

I OCM!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

bump