Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ridextreme
Stats: 6/1/14: lost 48 lbs since thanksgiving 2013
WOE: almost zero carbs, eat 2 meals per day 900 cal/day
Start Date: 11/30/13 day aft thankgiving
Low Carb & Cancer

my sister has been suffering with cancer for the past two years, started with breast, got a double mastectomy, has been thru chemo, and it has spread to the fluid in her lungs.

She now decided to stop chemo, and I was researching natural cancer cures and I came across Low carb diets will starve the cancer cells of their food and will help cure it.

Has anyone heard anything about this? If this is true, it would be great for us who are already on a lcwoe.

Google: mercola Ketogenic Diet: Its Benefits and Role in Cancer Treatment
ridextreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
So sorry your sister is going through this. I'm going to read your link now. Thanks for sharing.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I just skimmed through the article. I'd read similar things before, and this confirms that there is a valid theory on glucose and cancer cells.

I used to take my Mother-in-Law to an Oncology practice because she had issues with anemia. It drove me crazy to see the candy bowls on the receptionist's desk, and the snacks in the chemo area. Ack!

I'd do this in a heartbeat if I had cancer, and especially if I'd already been treated, as has your sister. It's worth a shot! I wish her well.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
OK, I'm back after reading the entire article. WOWZA. I hope everyone on this site reads this article. It is MORE motivation to keep the carbs low and the good fats high, including saturated fat. Also, interesting POV on protein, a moderate amt suggested.

Which is not to say it's the "ANSWER" or that we don't need to evaluate all we read w/a discerning eye. So much info out there these days, we just have to sift it all through.

But, man oh man, what's really clear in this article is that glucose feeds cancer cells. I recently lost a very dear friend to pancreatic cancer. All he wanted to eat in his days of struggling w/this disease was sugar---cereal, donuts, breads, desserts. And no one around him was of a mind to stop him, including his LC woe wife, as everyone was so happy to see him eat, whatever it took.

Cancer is so complex that all the king's horses and all the king's men can't yet figure it out. BUT, I think better to be preventive than offensive. In any case, this is a great and interesting article, and I thank the OP for sharing it and hope y'all read it and sift on.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
While I agree that a ketogenic diet is perhaps best, please keep in mind that the concept that 'glucose feeds cancer cells' is probably unrelated to diet. That is,
our bodies function on glucose, requiring a certain amount in our blood at all times. We also all have some cancer cells within our bodies and what 'activates' them is unknown to science--yet. However, those cells, when activated, can probably feed on our natural glucose.

My point is that we cannot rely on any dietary plan to either cure or protect us from cancer.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
While I agree that a ketogenic diet is perhaps best, please keep in mind that the concept that 'glucose feeds cancer cells' is probably unrelated to diet. That is,
our bodies function on glucose, requiring a certain amount in our blood at all times. We also all have some cancer cells within our bodies and what 'activates' them is unknown to science--yet. However, those cells, when activated, can probably feed on our natural glucose.

My point is that we cannot rely on any dietary plan to either cure or protect us from cancer.
This. I read a different article on GBM and a ketogenic diet. It had a large drop out rate due to difficulty in sustainability so was difficult to extrapolate with the few that were left in the study. Bottom line was it didn't cure anything. Did it slow tumor growth? Maybe but in the case of GBM, the cancer was still fatal. This was something I looked into as my BFF is in hospice with terminal GBM (stage 4 brain cancer) but found it to be no cure. I am so sorry for what you are going thru. I wish it was so simple as diet.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...ersus-science/ Word of warning. This article slams Mercola and this study but does explain why it doesn't work and does offer some links to refute Mercola's statement.

I would like to add that it was noted that the ketogenic diet certainly didn't hurt and may help with extending life expectancy. Like others said. Most certainly worth a try.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 09-13-2014 at 08:25 AM..
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I'm so sorry about your sister.
I have always read that "sugar feeds cancer".
for her and your family.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I don't know if I'm allowed to post the links here, but search for a Time article "Can a High-Fat Diet Beat Cancer?" and a post on Michael Eades blog "Carbohydrates are Addictive"
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 204/199.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Here is a comprehensive article written for MD's, RN's and other disciplines.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/757713

This article confirms everything I've observed as a hospice RN for the past 16 years.

I see cancer patients consuming high intakes of sugar and eating chronic SAD diets and often living with concurrent diabetes diagnoses, even more disturbingly, I see cancer patients trying to cure their disease by following the current diet/cancer trends of veganism or raw eating. NOT ONCE IN 16 YEARS have I seen a hospice cancer patient try or stick to low-carbohydrate eating. Unfortunately, once cancer takes over your body, cancer decides what you eat. And cancer doesn't want saturated fat. It wants sugar.

Over and over and over and over again actual medical studies show reduced cancer complications, better health and lengthened prognosis for cancer patients who follow a low-carbohydrate regimen but NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION.

Yes, some cancers respond better to it than others: notably brain cancers and reproductive cancers. But in all instances, health is improved, tumors slow, and cancer markers decrease.

Pay attention, general public. Please pay attention.

Last edited by moonmirror; 09-19-2014 at 01:56 PM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Moonmirror, thanks for telling us your hospice experiences for the last 16 years. I started eating low carb back in 2008 mainly to try to protect myself from cancer and alzheimers. Since then I have forgotten about this focus and fell off the wagon and then went back to lowcarb more for weight loss. It is so good to hear from someone who has seen first hand as a RN what the SAD has done to our health.
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote