Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: E418
Strange tingle in my legs?

Hi everyone.

I started doing a low carb diet again on Monday and so far I've been going pretty good. However a few days ago I noticed sometimes when I stand up my legs and feet are tingling like they're falling asleep. I googled it and kept getting things about diabetic neuropathy which I sure hope is not the case because to my knowledge I don't have diabeties!

I was thinking maybe it's a defficiency of some sort of vitamins and minerals. The only problem is that I'm not sure what type of vitamins and minerals they would be.

I really appreciate anyone's help and input. I don't want to be doing damage to myself that can be prevented so I'd really like to figure it out so I can hopefully fix it by the end of the weekend. Thanks!
E418 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Another possibility is that you were sitting in such a way that circulation could've been somewhat restricted to your legs and feet; maybe tight fitting jeans or crossing your legs. Also, some mineral deficiencies can cause tingling such as low magnesium. I hope you find answers quickly.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tazz
I had something similar and a good Vitamin B complex sorted it. Hope this helps
Tazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Could also be caused by a disc in your back pressing on a nerve. You may need to see a neurologist to find out.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
This is exactly what started me down the low-carb path. I had the same thing in my feet and it was maddening. I have two diabetic parents, so I freaked and went to the doctor. He asked about other symptoms and did a couple tests. It turned out it was pinched nerves. I have issues with my spine, and this was just a very new symptom. But he saw my concern about diabetes and they tested me and found my glucose was running slightly high in the mornings. I'm glad it happened; it woke me up. But if you don't have a diabetes diagnosis, it is probably a non-neuropathic nerve issue. Are you on your feet a lot? Do you have spine issues?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Something on this low-carb WOE is that we become deficient in Magnesium and potassium because we loose so much water and fat that the electrolytes which contain these two become very low. I had some real bad leg problems and taking those two cured it. Magnesium they say cures restless leg syndrome so it all must lead back to a deficiency.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
Can you absorb magnesium through the skin? Epsom salt baths are wonderful.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
I bought a liquid magnesium spray on ointment for my night time leg cramps, but it didn't help at all. So, in my case applying magnesium topically didn't help my issue. But with Epsom salt baths you're also getting the benefit of the warm water and the calming atmosphere which is very helpful to relaxing the body.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
Yes I think you can absorb through the skin and I did that too. Really helped also...
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote