Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ashryan
Stats: 181/163/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2014
Panic Attacks

Anyone here know anything about panic attacks? Any information or personal explanation on them?

I'm not sure if I've been suffering from panic or anxiety attacks (or just thinking I am when I'm not and then that is making me have panic attacks??) since I was 24. I am now 26.

just looking to see if anyone has them/can relate...
ashryan is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ridextreme
Stats: 6/1/14: lost 48 lbs since thanksgiving 2013
WOE: almost zero carbs, eat 2 meals per day 900 cal/day
Start Date: 11/30/13 day aft thankgiving
I used to have anxiety and bad panic attacks. I was given ativan and xanax (not at the same time) but they are only cover ups.

I later found inositol powder and it got rid of them. I was on the inositol for about 2 months when I didn't need it anymore. It worked right away.

the real cause of them could be anything from thyroid issues (I am now also on nature-throid for low thyroid hormone) or other hormone imbalances, or using certain drugs such as weed. My root causes were all of the above.
ridextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I have had them in the past when my anxiety has gotten out of control. I knew what was happening and had warning signs. I'm fairly lucky. My mother has panic disorder, where she just gets them out of the blue. No external or internal triggers or general anxiety, she could be doing anything and WHAM. Not good. Hers are controlled perfectly by Zoloft.

I think that the essential difference is that if it is anxiety, you'll feel it building over time before attack kicks in or you can learn to recognize it, but with a true panic attack (from panic disorder) it can happen anytime and you don't get warning signs. You'd just be doing normal things and having normal thoughts when your body goes nuts (unprovoked physical panic from chemical imbalance or faulty wiring), instead of the mind/body coiling spring pushing feeling where you push yourself into an attack (anxiety thoughts manifesting into physical symptoms).

Of course, the pain in the ass is that having panic attacks can cause anxiety, which as you can imagine causes a very nasty reinforcing circle. But the difference between my mother and I, which is a good comparison, is that she was no longer anxious when she found the right medication to stop the panic attacks. She was reacting to something real. My anxiety is generally wired with my ADHD, so I was helped when I was treated for that, but it still is an issue even though I don't get to the point of actually having attacks anymore.

Thinking about it and figuring out whether it is anxiety or panic is a good thing to do, but either way you probably need some professional help with it. Two years is a long time to live with that, and fear of it will compound it. One of the hardest things I ever did was to admit that I needed help with my own brain. Don't be like me and wait until you've lost everything. It is a lot like diabetes, in that if you start taking care and treating early on, it is inconvenient but very rarely dangerous. However, if you willfully ignore it for too long you might go blind or need to have your toes amputated. Anxiety changes behavior and eventually rewires the brain. Even with lots of help it is very hard to retrain yourself. So get help early before it changes your life.

I know that was deep and scary, and I'm sorry if it bothered you and please disregard it if it doesn't help. If you want to talk, I'm happy to do so, especially if it helps you get to real life help.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snickygirl
Excellent post solarpluvia. You've described it all very clearly, with good advice for ashryan to treat it sooner rather than later. And yes, anxiety has the potential to rewire the brain into very non-productive thought patterns, false beliefs, and behaviors which can cause a lot of difficulty. My life changed drastically for the better with professional treatment. Hoping yours does too ashryan and anyone else suffering from anxiety / panic.
Snickygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: Hi-290/268/Current 247/175
WOE: LC-ish, LoCal
Start Date: Restart 10/20/14
It's very common, don't know what causes it. Try deep breathing when it hits. I had it in my 20's also and it was awful but no internet then so thought I was dying or going crazy! Ativan helps a lot. Get ye to the doctor, you don't have to live with that. Hugs. It eventually went a way on it's own in my 30's so I suspect it's hormonal as well...
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all so much for your words. I plan to get help as soon as my benefits take place at work and I can visit a doctor. I've read a lot of articles where it hits my age bc of major life adjustments ie: graduating college, going out into the work field, getting married, having kids, money money money money everything is always money. ugh.

anyway I finally had to admit to myself that its not correct and I want to do something now before I become more scared and have anxiety about life (which I never did pre college graduation) that I can no longer control.

Thanks so much everyone!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Yeah, it's a big scary world out there, and you have a full plate.

You could try meditation and yoga.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Not to sound naÔve or like a weak person...but I never realized how scary the world is until I left college. I was really well taken care of growing up and through college. Now Im in the "real world" and its like "[I]ohmygosh this place is so sad and people are really messed up[/I]"

Sometimes I think I just need someone to talk to, but...anyway this place is nice for that.

Thanks Ryebaby...not trying to be a debby downer lol!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashryan View Post
Not to sound naÔve or like a weak person...but I never realized how scary the world is until I left college. I was really well taken care of growing up and through college. Now Im in the "real world" and its like "[I]ohmygosh this place is so sad and people are really messed up[/I]"

Sometimes I think I just need someone to talk to, but...anyway this place is nice for that.

Thanks Ryebaby...not trying to be a debby downer lol!
I think I would have been less inclined to want to grow up, when I was a child, if I'd have known that most of life was ad-libbed.
I had anxiety attacks from age 21 thru 26. I still have one, about a couple times of year; Zoloft, buspar, and sublingual xanax when it hits me......
I'm sorry you're suffering, as they're not fun.
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
I am 63 and I have dealt with panic attacks in some form or fashion over my adult years. Used to have them a lot more when I was eating junk, drinking alcohol (self medication!) and living wild. Then I didn't have them for many years. They started again under several stressful situations over the years and since menopause I'm sure unbalanced hormones have added to the chaos.

I've done a lot of research on it and it seems that long term stress is one basic factor for me PLUS hypothyroid/adrenal fatigue. Always being in 'fight or flight' mode drains the adrenals. One person said it really should be called 'fight, flight or FEAR' and I think that's a valid view.

Now that I'm strict with diet, exercise (well, for the most part!) and trying to lessen stress so I can get healthy again, I am more able to cope with panic attacks when they do come. I take deep breaths, and remind myself that this is TEMPORARY and IT WILL PASS. Then I just 'ride it out'. Another thing that *might* bring them on is an adrenal 'spike' where the adrenals shoot out adrenaline. Not sure why, perhaps a healing process or a sputtering? I don't know. Just a theory of mine.

I do know that panic attacks are horrible but you CAN get through them. Of course, ideally it would be wonderful to never have them again!

Donít worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.
Then you will experience Godís peace, which exceeds all our understanding.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Selahgal: have you tried bio identical hormones? If you have, did they help with adrenal fatigue? I think that's my issue.....
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
Selahgal: have you tried bio identical hormones? If you have, did they help with adrenal fatigue? I think that's my issue.....
There is no place near where I live that I could see to get bio-identical hormones. I am trying various adaptations and using real progesterone cream. I'm 12 years post menopause so if I can manage, I'll just manage. Sigh.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

My biggest fear when having one is that im going to pass out or black out....that is always the worst part. Has anyone actually blacked out because of or during one?

P.s. you all are wonderful.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashryan View Post
My biggest fear when having one is that im going to pass out or black out....that is always the worst part. Has anyone actually blacked out because of or during one?

P.s. you all are wonderful.
I've never passed out or blacked out but the racing & pounding heartbeat is sure scary! Keep in mind it's a surge of adrenaline so try to find a way to 'burn it off' like deep breathing, exercising, distracting yourself with doing something like chores, etc., and wait for it to pass.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: Hi-290/268/Current 247/175
WOE: LC-ish, LoCal
Start Date: Restart 10/20/14
No, never passed out. The racing pounding heartbeat and 'detached from reality feeling' are scary when it happens at first. Keep telling yourself it is just a panic attack and you can not, will not pass out or die from it, it will pass very soon. Take deep breaths and talk yourself through it, move around the room and tell someone if it is happening...that always made mine lessen. Don't know why. Hug someone if you can.

It happens much less often once you are out of your 20's, so it will pass. It will stop, and life will go on to be good again. But for sure get some help to get thru it, it's not necessary to suffer when there is help out there from safe medication.

Hugs honey.

~

Last edited by heidihoopi; 08-24-2014 at 06:08 PM..
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rugaroo
Stats: 241/199/140
WOE: Paleo Autoimmune
Start Date: june 3, 2014
I had a period of panic attacks that just stole my life. I couldn't sleep. I was overcome with physical pain. My mind wouldn't shut off. It's a cycle.

In the end, I was able to stop the panic thoughts but my body still went through the motions. I forced myself to sleep regularly. I ate better. Exercised. Made life changes. Did learn that I had slight hypothyroidism and had that treated. And it passed. But it was a self perpetuating cycle that worsened.
rugaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mephy
Stats: 155/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: August 2002
I started to get panic attacks within the last couple of years and my doctor thinks that over stimulation may have triggered it for me. I have had some seriously stressful things occur at my job within the last few years and although I take it in stride at least outwardly, inwardly it has affected me in bad ways. I started to have episodes of disassociation and paralyzing fear/doom that would occur with no apparent rhyme or reason (grocery shopping, sitting reading at home, cooking, it didn't seem to matter). Every time, I though I would die and the other thing was how irrational it was. I am a very rational person, so it boggled my mind that I was experiencing these episodes. Very frustrating!

Finally, I ended up getting treatment with 25 mg of Zoloft daily. I haven't had a panic attack since the first month into my treatment, which was amazing to me. My doctor said that after another 6 months, I can likely wean off of the medications and there is a good possibility of full remission. Right now, I feel like I have my life back. It was horrible for a while. I know some folks are against taking medicines like this, but I really have had minimal side effects and they were only apparent in the beginning. I'm just grateful at this point.

I think professional assistance is the way to go. Any good doctor will work with a patient to tailor treatment. It's worthwhile rather than having your life disrupted like that.
mephy is offline   Reply With Quote