Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!
 
iakaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8,353
Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Anyone explain blood test results?

Had physical, and they now post your results on-line, if you want to see them.

I don't know how to interpret, so figure someone on this list is very knowledgeable in this area.

Understand cholesterol at 154 is okay. HDL is 61 and LDL is 82. Explain what the difference in these 2 means?

TSH is 2.35. Have fatigue, and looking for explanation. Can't find much of "normal" on thyroid searching on line.

Globulin is 3.6 (the site shows normal of <2.0)

Few other numbers show up outside the "normal" range, but start to understand these first.

Monocyte and Lymph are out of "normal" range.
__________________
192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185 184 183 182 181 180 179 178
10/25/06 weight 191.0 Started Atkins; Fell off 2008 Struggling CAD in 2014
12/31 2006... 2007 ... 2008 ... 2009 ...2010 ...2011... 2012 ... 2013... 2014
.. ......177.0...174.0....174.0...183.0...184.0...183 .5...185.5....192.0

Goal of less than 170.0 by Year End 2014.
22 Lb Goal 2014......So Far ?????
iakaren is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
fsfty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 252
Gallery: fsfty
Stats: 265/184/184 6'2" Start 6/9/11, Goal 12/9/11
WOE: Lifetime Maintenance
Start Date: June 9, 2011
I can only comment on the cholesterol numbers. They are very good, by the way. HDL, or "good cholesterol" over 60 is very good. LDL or "bad cholestorol" under 100 is very good as well, at least according to my doctor. Your total cholesterol at 154 is very good as well. You should find out what your triglycerides were as well.

I was out of the normal range for Lymph/Monocyte once as well. I was very worried when they called me and had me retest. Turns out I tested normal on the retest. They said this happens from time to time and can be a result of lab error.
fsfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!
 
iakaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8,353
Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsfty View Post
I can only comment on the cholesterol numbers. They are very good, by the way. HDL, or "good cholesterol" over 60 is very good. LDL or "bad cholestorol" under 100 is very good as well, at least according to my doctor. Your total cholesterol at 154 is very good as well. You should find out what your triglycerides were as well.

I was out of the normal range for Lymph/Monocyte once as well. I was very worried when they called me and had me retest. Turns out I tested normal on the retest. They said this happens from time to time and can be a result of lab error.
Thank you. I could not find the "good and bad" levels for the HDL and LDL. My triglycerides were 55.

The Lymph/Monocyte numbers were the next one I was going to ask about, because they were outside the normal range. Now I am not so concerned about them

I appreciate you taking time to answer me. Thanks much!!

Last edited by iakaren; 07-24-2014 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: More info
iakaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Shrinkingviolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Guernsey, UK
Posts: 167
Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 248/238.4/140
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting July 2014
Hi I'm an RN so I know a little about blood results...although my expertise really lies in drawing the bloods rather than interpreting them

Your TSH is normal I think. If you're looking for reasons for fatigue it might be worth asking your Dr to check your vitamin B12 and folate levels....mine go low from time to time and it causes fatigue amongst other things. Also your iron of course in case you're anaemic, especially if you have heavy periods. And yes I would suggest retest for your lymph just to make sure. Sometimes these things can be a bit out of kilter if you have a bit of infection somewhere in the body...even a cold for example.
__________________

Food has replaced sex in my life; now, I can't even get into my own pants. ~Author Unknown~

One day at a time is all we do
One day at a time is good for you ~ John Lennon

Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!
 
iakaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8,353
Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkingviolet View Post
Hi I'm an RN so I know a little about blood results...although my expertise really lies in drawing the bloods rather than interpreting them

Your TSH is normal I think. If you're looking for reasons for fatigue it might be worth asking your Dr to check your vitamin B12 and folate levels....mine go low from time to time and it causes fatigue amongst other things. Also your iron of course in case you're anaemic, especially if you have heavy periods. And yes I would suggest retest for your lymph just to make sure. Sometimes these things can be a bit out of kilter if you have a bit of infection somewhere in the body...even a cold for example.
Thanks!! Appreciate it.
iakaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 826
Gallery: Ronnie51
When one of my white blood cells was out of range (eosinophils), I did some research. What I learned was that doctors look more at your absolute count, rather than your percentage. So, your percent of monocytes and lymphocytes may be out of range, but if your absolute numbers are in range, it's fine. My doctor told me the same thing. He wasn't concerned with my high eosinophils (although my absolute number was also slightly elevated), and the next time I had a blood test the percentage and absolute levels were both normal.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!
 
iakaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8,353
Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
When one of my white blood cells was out of range (eosinophils), I did some research. What I learned was that doctors look more at your absolute count, rather than your percentage. So, your percent of monocytes and lymphocytes may be out of range, but if your absolute numbers are in range, it's fine. My doctor told me the same thing. He wasn't concerned with my high eosinophils (although my absolute number was also slightly elevated), and the next time I had a blood test the percentage and absolute levels were both normal.
Thanks!! Everything was spectacular according to doctor. Just wish I had more energy.....
iakaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!
 
GME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA Coast
Posts: 9,877
Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
You can have a "normal" TSH and still have thyroid problems. You need more tests to really check it out- a free T3, free T4 and ideally a reverse T3 and a thyroid antibodies test.

Any of those can be off and give you fatigue. Unfortunately, so can many other things.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.